Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: TR9, concept art!!!

It's no rumor, as oraclebop stated, these pictures were demanded to be taken down(threatening legal action). So yeah these just got leaked and EIDOS/SE didn't want that.

So these are not ''rumor'' and are early concepts for things that WILL be in game.

Since they've seemed to change so much about the games and her overall look, I wonder if she will still be named Lara lol

Wow, I could hardly believe it when I saw that pic. Because this is almost exactly to a concept I had back in Dec08 - see it first posted here. But I'll reposyt here too;

I did have this idea for a new TR game, that doesn't involve any tombs, quests for artifacts, exploration of mythology... but in fact takes Lara back to her roots. This may seem like a contradiction, but what I'm talking about is bringing her back to what dramatically changed her life and started her on her path in life.

The plane crash. We all know the origin story of young Lara who lived her life of privilege and had everything she wanted at her fingertips. Until the day on a plane trip, it crashed and she was cut off from every support structure she ever knew and for the first time, was fending for herself. It was an experience that forced her to develop survival skills and find inner strength she never knew she had.

But I am NOT talking about a prequel game here. Simply an adventure that begins with her on her way home from some undetermined expedition, when by happenstance her plane goes down on some island of unknown location. This is more like revisiting history from the present perspective, where she'll likely comment with dry humor of personal experience - "ahhh, so I find myself here again. This is almost like going home."

Her usual gear will be lost in the crash, so no PLS, no binoculars or camera, no health packs, and for the 1st time, NO GUNS. This will be a wilderness survival game, so it would feature game play such as;

* losing her guns, the player must fashion spears and bows and arrows
    * hunting animals for food and survival, setting nature traps
    * there will still be exploration, but now of natural landscapes, cliffs to climb and shimmy, high tree branches to jump and climb along, waterfalls to jump from, caves to search for shelter, etc...
    * in keeping with the wilderness theme, you can surmise Lara's traditional hiking gear gets shredded to tatters, so she fashions herself a scant outfit from animal skins - think a Jungle Jane theme, primitive, master of the domain... and ohhhhh so sexy
    * as well as the hunting animals for food, another game mechanic for refreshing her health status could be bathing in lagoons and by waterfalls, something that solicits some artistic cinematics where Lara is undressed by the water, but creative use of camera angles, water mist and such obscures any naughty views, more of a tease than anything hardcore - along the lines of DOA scenes (like Christie's opening in DOA X1). Lara gets refreshed and has a bit of a health boost - gamers smile

Now while most of the game, Lara is simply needing to survive on her wits and skills, and make it through the days. She still has the goal of finding rescue and maybe to mix things up a bit, about the last 5th of the way through the game, she comes across some poachers she has to deal with, her with her spears and arrows, them with their guns, and can provide the means of her rescue.

Yeah that's pretty radically different as there would be no tombs of ancient civilizations to discover and raid, but what do you guys think? And I know it seems like I'm trying to turn the game into a dirty movie, but that ain't the case at all. Like I said, it's more along the lines of creative spiciness than direct adult material. Not that different from the cleavage she showed in that black evening gown in Legend and her just being her usual unabashed self.

-----

Now keeping in mind my concept wasn't to go back in time, or to re-tell the origin story and take this from an inexperienced Lara, but to explore the essence of Lara Croft. I've seen the complaint here that this doesn't feel like a TR game without the trademark guns.

But I ask you; are the guns what defines Lara? The outfit? The braid? NO. What makes Lara, Lara, is her strength of will, her unyeilding determination, her spirit to command her destiny no matter the obstacles in her path! What I liked about this is that even without her gear, which is just trappings we are familiar with, she IS still the same courageous and powerful force to be reckoned with.

Another reason a change of direction is something positive - are you people aware of what is the major criticism the TR games gets from reviwers? That the series just rehashes the same gameplay over and over again. Now myself, I love the exploration mechanics of climbing, shimmying, swinging and all that good stuff.

But for the series to have continued life, SOMETHING must be done to evolve it. The open world gameplay is one way to go about that. To have the character stripped of her familiar trapping and needing not to rely on them and instead on her own survival skills is another. Stagnation is never a good thing. Just look at the Dynasty Warrior series and how much of a beating it gets from reviewers.

Like it or not, this series is called out for just rehashing, so this change of direction is needed. But still I wanted a change that moved the series forward, not looking back to the past.

OH MY OH MY OH MY OH MY THIS LOOKS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! BUT IT COULD WORK, THE LARA IMAGE LOOKS NICE.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    It's no rumor, as oraclebop stated, these pictures were demanded to be taken down(threatening legal action). So yeah these just got leaked and EIDOS/SE didn't want that.

So these are not ''rumor'' and are early concepts for things that WILL be in game.

Since they've seemed to change so much about the games and her overall look, I wonder if she will still be named Lara lol
    There are plenty of things depicted in concepts or that developers say will be in a game that never actually make it in to the final product, as I'm sure you know. And I think the comment about changing her name is a bit overboard. If I remember correctly, josh1122, you were a person who was always suggesting people to reserve judgement on Underworld until they had actually played it. It might be best to take your own advice and wait for some official information. For all we know, this artwork and list of ideas could be things they have already thrown out. I think the best thing we can do is just sit back and watch how this unfolds.
    Trust in the power of positive thinking

Quote Originally Posted by m_gunselman View Post
    There are plenty of things depicted in concepts or that developers say will be in a game that never actually make it in to the final product, as I'm sure you know. And I think the comment about changing her name is a bit overboard. If I remember correctly, josh1122, you were a person who was always suggesting people to reserve judgement on Underworld until they had actually played it. It might be best to take your own advice and wait for some official information. For all we know, this artwork and list of ideas could be things they have already thrown out. I think the best thing we can do is just sit back and watch how this unfolds.
    I'm standing by what I said,regardless if it contradicts what I have said in the past. From what I've seen and heard about this game and the supposed ''rumors'', it sounds pretty bad. Maybe my mind will change in the next 5 months when we see more concept art,more screenshots and further down the line some gameplay, I'm hoping for that actually. But my opinion on the matter still stands for the time being

I'm not the only one who feels this way, even non TR fans who hate the regular ol TR formula are like ''wtf thats not Tomb Raider''.

Quote Originally Posted by Goar View Post
    ...WHAT IS THIS SH--!?

Lara BACK in Japan? She's going to be surrounded by ZOMBIES? This surely hasn't been done A THOUSAND TIMES!

Tomb Raider is awesome, because Lara Croft was NEVER apart of the Zombie franchise. Yes, you see MUMMIES and walking skeletons but not creatures walking and spreading the disease by devouring eachother. This is rumor has my blood boiling.

WTF are they thinking? We don't need another Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Left for Dead, etc., all those other Zombie games. We don't need that, and I'm sure we don't want that in our beloved Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider is named 'Tomb Raider" for a reason! Lara Croft raids TOMBS. She raids them inorder to get what she wanted to get, or had no choice to get due to the situation she's in. She does this for not only herself but for many other reasons.

I'm outraged by the rumor and I really HOPE that this RUMOR STAYS A RUMOR!

--

On the other hand, I do like the thought that she crashes from her Plane, but not entirely on Japan. I have nothing against Japan, and I really HOPE that SE doesn't keep her in Japan and just bring her all over the world. I also hope they keep her the way she is.

British, brown hair, brown eyes, tan skin; athletic, flexible, curvy. I hope she keeps her duel 9mm pistols. I hope she wont change too much.

I also hope that this game will be nothing like the games we see coming out every other month about zombies. I'm getting a bit tired of the zombie rave, and I would despise it if TR fell into that category.
    Of course they know that. It's still CD making the game, they know what to do. There are still tombs in the story. It says right there in the pics, "Underground tombs."

Maybe it's gonna be "Artifact turns people to Zombies, Lara has to avoid them while getting artifact and restore the islanders back to normal."
    What Really Matters Is Being Yourself, And If That Includes Slowly Killing Then Eating Every Boy At Your School, Well Than I Say Do It.

I'm sorry, but I have to make this clear. I never post in huge type but I feel I have to scream it across, as well.

THIS IS NOT LARA CROFT!

Look at her! She looks nothing like the Lara we all know! HOW DARE THEY CHANGE HER APPEARANCE TO THIS?!
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

in my opinion the creatures look like demonic "fairys" borned from the...trees(their hands are like branches) i dunno if that makes sense but i have a feeling these are not gonna be the classical zombies....i however would want the franchise to move on..no more anniversaries,reboots and all of this crap just a new story and a fresh new adventure..and lets hop this game will be connected to cds tr universe somehow

I'm sorry, but I have to make this clear. I never post in huge type but I feel I have to scream it across, as well.

THIS IS NOT LARA CROFT!

Look at her! She looks nothing like the Lara we all know! HOW DARE THEY CHANGE HER APPEARANCE TO THIS?!
    Hopefully it turns out the renders/concept are nothing compared to what she actually looks like in Underworld. Remember the concept art and renders of her in the water, some of them looked nothing like her, but were totally different in the actual game.

I'm hoping for the same scenario here.

So also with the younger Lara, does this mean keeley has gotten the boot?

Hopefully it turns out the renders/concept are nothing compared to what she actually looks like in Underworld. Remember the concept art and renders of her in the water, some of them looked nothing like her, but were totally different in the actual game.

I'm hoping for the same scenario here.

I will hope it's only but a MESSY sketch of her. I don't like her body type, compared to her TR:U body. I also don't like her chest, yes her chest helped define who Lara is. And it does make sense to knock it down just a bit--but that's way too much.

Also, on the water pictures, yeah. I hated them. Those really pushed my buttons when I saw them.. I also hope it's the same scenario.

This sketch makes me....

My.DeviantArt

I will hope it's only but a MESSY sketch of her. I don't like her body type, compared to her TR:U body. I also don't like her chest, yes her chest helped define who Lara is. And it does make sense to knock it down just a bit--but that's way too much.

Also, on the water pictures, yeah. I hated them. Those really pushed my buttons when I saw them.. I also hope it's the same scenario.

This sketch makes me....

Something like this then, Goar?

*Longer hair, Much more defined breasts, Fixed face and added a bit of muscle into it. Thank you Quasimodo (Heather from TRF)
    What Really Matters Is Being Yourself, And If That Includes Slowly Killing Then Eating Every Boy At Your School, Well Than I Say Do It.

Doesn't look like Lara to me. You can stop reusing your post, now.

-

Different poses of this 'new lara' will better my understanding why they chose the look, but other then that I will continue to dislike it. As I really do think it looks like another woman and not our Lara.
    My.DeviantArt

I hope not. I am really such a fan of her voice acting. I think she does a terrific job.

At Goar: About the "zombies," I really don't see how these creatures are sooo different from Atlantean creatures, thralls, walking skeletons, and the likes. These are just another type of humanoid creature that Lara happens to come across. Call them zombies if you like, but that really doesn't make them very different from other creatures in other TR games. We may later find out how they fit into some Japanese legends or something too. And I've not seen anywhere that it says these creatures walk around and spread a disease. Even if I did, that's not quite so different from the purpose of thralls; in the journal, it says they throw other people or creatures into the Eitir causing them to become a thrall. Hmm...so instead of biting someone like a zombie, they poison them w/ eitir. Sound kind of similar don't they. Like I've said in other posts, I really think it best to wait for more (official) information. I know you're entitled to your opinions, and I don't want you to feel like I'm dogging you, but when you step back and really look at this compared to creatures in other games, it's really not so different. (And btw, I agree that the Lara concept just isn't Lara. She really seems like/is another person. I'd be willing to bet they drastically change her from the concept by the time the game is released though.)
    Trust in the power of positive thinking

Quote Originally Posted by m_gunselman View Post
    At Goar: About the "zombies," I really don't see how these creatures are sooo different from Atlantean creatures, thralls, walking skeletons, and the likes. These are just another type of humanoid creature that Lara happens to come across. Call them zombies if you like, but that really doesn't make them very different from other creatures in other TR games. We may later find out how they fit into some Japanese legends or something too. And I've not seen anywhere that it says these creatures walk around and spread a disease. Even if I did, that's not quite so different from the purpose of thralls; in the journal, it says they throw other people or creatures into the Eitir causing them to become a thrall. Hmm...so instead of biting someone like a zombie, they poison them w/ eitir. Sound kind of similar don't they. Like I've said in other posts, I really think it best to wait for more (official) information. I know you're entitled to your opinions, and I don't want you to feel like I'm dogging you, but when you step back and really look at this compared to creatures in other games, it's really not so different. (And btw, I agree that the Lara concept just isn't Lara. She really seems like/is another person. I'd be willing to bet they drastically change her from the concept by the time the game is released though.)

There's a reason why I deleted my first post. I just wish I deleted it before it was quoted. But you know it's out in the open now.

To rephrase my rage-rant about the Zombies - I read the articles, and when they mentioned the Z word, it. That infact pissed me off. Why? Because Tomb Raider isn't like Left for Dead, Night of the Living Dead, or anything of the matter.

--Edit: I really hope they will change it. I'm obviously not pleased with this, nor is anyone else for the matter. (And yes, I know the world doesn't evolve around me, and I did over react in my previous posts.

It's action adventure, and not a zombie survival game. The Atlantean creatures aren't zombies in my eyes, they're more of a different race/specimen that was brought up for utter destruction.
    My.DeviantArt

Goar: Who says they're gonna steer away from "Action Adventure?" Besides, Tomb Raider needs something fresh to be able to catch the general audience's attention. Tomb Raider has just repeated it's formula in almost every game, and it was fine the first few games, but now, players expect something new. It's not always just gonna be shoot and climb.

We need to embrace this change and hope that CD brings us something new, but still Tomb Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by oraclebop View Post
    Goar: Who says they're gonna steer away from "Action Adventure?" Besides, Tomb Raider needs something fresh to be able to catch the general audience's attention. Tomb Raider has just repeated it's formula in almost every game, and it was fine the first few games, but now, players expect something new. It's not always just gonna be shoot and climb.

We need to embrace this change and hope that CD brings us something new, but still Tomb Raider.

Dramatic changes freak me out. I hope it's as everyone else has explained it to me. I hope it doesn't become what it shouldn't be. I hope Lara stays Lara.
    My.DeviantArt

Well, it's just a concept art. The early concept art for Underworld didn't look promising either.

Remember? It's quite different from the ingame model isn't it? Even the early renders of Lara were different than the final one that had slight, cosmetic changes. I didn't like Underwold Lara when I saw these renders, but now I love her since I saw her in the actual game.

But I agree with those who say that she doesn't look like Lara in this new concept art. If they change Lara too much and set her in a completely new environment (not tomb raider-ish) it will be a totally new game. CD and Eidos must understand that there are some defining features that make TR game a TR game, and they cannot be changed, NEVER.

um okay. Where is it?
    signature image

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_next_t...d-8240_en.html

There you go. And I agree - this sounds very promising. Using a pick axe to climb a wall only to be attacked when you reach the top. Then a Heavenly Sword/God of War fight begins...

...while in the twilight zone rain...

...or tying a rope to an arrow and shoot it over af chasm, followed by monkey swing across the monster infested valley. I say, the possibillities are multiple.

already seen it...
    signature image

That was lovely concept art. Lara (if that is Lara) looked great. Although the ponytail was a little too short (by a little, I mean a lot) and wtf with the bow and arrow?

Why is the witch from Left 4 Dead there???

I don't think that's Tomb Raider. The female protaganist has a bow and arrow, not pistols. She's riding a horse, not a motorbike. And she's in a dark forestey place, Tomb Raider usually has temples in a jungle or under the sea or in a very cold climate.

I would not want Tomb Raider to ever be like that. Some of the gameplay sounded good, but i don't like the idea of one island. That isn't TR, and I pray it never will be.
    signature image

there awesome!

That was lovely concept art. Lara (if that is Lara) looked great. Although the ponytail was a little too short (by a little, I mean a lot) and wtf with the bow and arrow?

Why is the witch from Left 4 Dead there???

I don't think that's Tomb Raider. The female protaganist has a bow and arrow, not pistols. She's riding a horse, not a motorbike. And she's in a dark forestey place, Tomb Raider usually has temples in a jungle or under the sea or in a very cold climate.

I would not want Tomb Raider to ever be like that. Some of the gameplay sounded good, but i don't like the idea of one island. That isn't TR, and I pray it never will be.

EDIT:
    I got extremely frustrated when I saw this. I had hope TR would still be TR when Square Enix took over, but now if I have to look forward to this, I don't know what I'll do. If this game is Tomb Raider 9, I'll give up on the series. This is just not what fans deserve.
    signature image

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast