Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 127

Thread: Now we know why its called 'Among Thieves'

  1. #1

    Now we know why its called 'Among Thieves'

    For the people who argued that Tr and Udf are nothing alike,... well have a look:

    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...4#comments_top

    I think it pretty much speaks for itself... one thing though, do you notice that ND advertises the game by just showing actual gameplay? Not by showing fabricated scenes with trolls on a bridge that don't occur in the actual game?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,316
    Uncharted is definetely similar to Tomb Raider, propably because it's based on TR's formula. Tomb Raider is better because it was the first game based on exploration and puzzle solving. It was revolutionary, although nowadays it seems to have lost something.

    It's hard to admmit to the fact that Uncharted 2 may be a much better game then, for example, Underworld. I'm the old TR-fan, so personally I will always choose Tomb Raider over some other game. To be honest, I have never played Uncharted, but looking at this footage makes me want to try it. If I had a PS3 I think I would by this game.

    Lara still rules and Drake (with his short legs) should be scared, because TR9 is coming.

  3. #3
    Really, ND?

    That looks exactly like a combination of Nepal from Legend and the beginning of Peru from TR1/Anniversary with a sprinkle of Jan Mayan Island. Freeclimbing and wallrunning look similar, biting level designs...

    This pisses me off.
    Like a burning hot fierce intense flood of anger just washed over me that I didn't know was even possible.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    5,298
    Why do all Core fanboys hate the ledges in Crystal Design TR games and yet praise this game so much? Plus, I thought the Underworld character animations were not as smooth in comparison to what we saw in Anniversary, but they're still much, much better than this one. o_O

    I'm getting a PS3 by the end of the month (mostly for Street Fighter IV, mind you), and I still don't find anything about this series exciting at all. :/

  5. #5
    I'm watching it.... i'm watching it...... hmmm..... What the hell! That first bit reminds me of nepal, he climbs like lara croft! So cheeky.... it's like lara croft but male... what the hell?! ANNIVERSARY MUCH! JAN MAYEN MUCH! how dare they? The bit where that man jumps and holds onto that other mans hand cause he fell, reminds me all too much of the beginning of tomb raider anniversary, and the climbing bit of jan mayen islands.... RIP OFF! Wall run!!!!! How dare they?! That's lara's moves!!!!!! The big wintery room reminds me of nepal just when lara swings the grapples on the bell like objects to get to the weighing scale puzzle.
    This makes me mad, so mad i feel like i want to charge right upto the makers and yell at them!
    No! POLES! He can swing?! Never! They better take that back right now.... i feel like crying...

    evilllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIP OFF! pause at 1:39, look at the left and you see a buda too similar to the weighing scale one in nepal tomb raider legend. bad bad bad... it looks good but it is just a twin to tomb raider! This game makes assasins creed seem like the manliest.... that's lara's look back off a ledge! Jan mayen nickers!
    WEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR. i need a shoulder to cry on...
    signature image

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    For the people who argued that Tr and Udf are nothing alike,... well have a look:

    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...4#comments_top

    I think it pretty much speaks for itself... one thing though, do you notice that ND advertises the game by just showing actual gameplay? Not by showing fabricated scenes with trolls on a bridge that don't occur in the actual game?
    Why do i get the distinct feeling that you have only posted this to Bash TR? On a TR forum! Like you say Among thieves; is an apt title, parts of this game are some of the worst rip offs i have ever seen. There are distinct likenesses of every TR game CD has made in here!

    I know games in the same genre borrow from each other but this is too much!
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    Uncharted is definetely similar to Tomb Raider, propably because it's based on TR's formula. Tomb Raider is better because it was the first game based on exploration and puzzle solving. It was revolutionary, although nowadays it seems to have lost something.

    It's hard to admmit to the fact that Uncharted 2 may be a much better game then, for example, Underworld. I'm the old TR-fan, so personally I will always choose Tomb Raider over some other game. To be honest, I have never played Uncharted, but looking at this footage makes me want to try it. If I had a PS3 I think I would by this game.

    Lara still rules and Drake (with his short legs) should be scared, because TR9 is coming.
    it really looks like Jan Mayen Island and mountain caves and Nepal

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    Seconded. Bits even look like the Peru section of Legend but iced over!
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4,673
    it looks like nepal on this part exactly like nepal :



    and like Thailand Shiva statue in Underworld like covered with ice here:


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay119 View Post
    Why do i get the distinct feeling that you have only posted this to Bash TR? On a TR forum!
    I call it criticising it. And I've been criticising Tr Underworld from the moment I've played it, that shouldn't come as a surprise...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    No but to make it sound like, next to Uncharted the whole TR franchise is a waste of time is a bit strong, that's how you came across, to me at least!
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  12. #12
    Not the Tr franchise as a whole, but Tr Underworld... yeah, considering the alternative its been a waste of time and money in my view. They should have known in 2007 that Udf was a competitor, and that they should've try to go at least on par with that: but they didn't even attempt: a game with bugs like that and combat like that: that's just unacceptable.

    You see: the more Uncharted looks like Tomb Raider: that means the more potential Tomb Raider actually has: Udf's succes is proof that there still is need for Indiana Jonesque adventure games, they just need to be made well and more focussed on what the people outside the regular fanbase want from it.

  13. #13

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay119 View Post
    Why do i get the distinct feeling that you have only posted this to Bash TR? On a TR forum!
    What I don't get is that Jurre seems to be the only one praising UDF over TR...

    Quote Originally Posted by tombraidergal View Post
    I'm watching it.... i'm watching it...... hmmm..... What the hell! That first bit reminds me of nepal, he climbs like lara croft! So cheeky.... it's like lara croft but male... what the hell?! ANNIVERSARY MUCH! JAN MAYEN MUCH! how dare they? The bit where that man jumps and holds onto that other mans hand cause he fell, reminds me all too much of the beginning of tomb raider anniversary, and the climbing bit of jan mayen islands.... RIP OFF! Wall run!!!!! How dare they?! That's lara's moves!!!!!! The big wintery room reminds me of nepal just when lara swings the grapples on the bell like objects to get to the weighing scale puzzle.
    This makes me mad, so mad i feel like i want to charge right upto the makers and yell at them!
    No! POLES! He can swing?! Never! They better take that back right now.... i feel like crying...

    evilllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIP OFF! pause at 1:39, look at the left and you see a buda too similar to the weighing scale one in nepal tomb raider legend. bad bad bad... it looks good but it is just a twin to tomb raider! This game makes assasins creed seem like the manliest.... that's lara's look back off a ledge! Jan mayen nickers!
    WEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR. i need a shoulder to cry on...
    Some things just aren't all that unique to a series. I've not played any PoP games, but I hear CD's TR moves are copied from that game. Some things are just generic; all first-person shooters are going to share some common ground in terms of gameplay or game mechanics, etc. The problem comes when originality is missing... One of the criticisms of UDF from Zero Punction was that it was "safe" and unexciting; everything that worked had just been borrowed and done elsewhere before.

  14. #14
    The only thing that pisses me off are the comments below.

    "basically this is Tomb Raider without skimpy swim suits"
    "would you stop comparing this to Tomb Raider, that franchise is dead!"
    "Tomb Raider Sucks"


    "In the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces."- Zapp Brannigan

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay119 View Post
    No but to make it sound like, next to Uncharted the whole TR franchise is a waste of time is a bit strong, that's how you came across, to me at least!
    It's called being a fanboy of a game.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    It's called being a fanboy of a game.
    Yes, that it exactly what you people are: I belong more to the mainstream crowd, I never made a secret of that.

    And to be honest, I don't know what you people are talking about: what I said in post 1 is that the new Udf looks like Tomb Raider and the material that Naughty Dog releases is the actual game, not false advertising like the Tr Underworld trailer.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    Uncharted is definetely similar to Tomb Raider, propably because it's based on TR's formula. Tomb Raider is better because it was the first game based on exploration and puzzle solving. It was revolutionary, although nowadays it seems to have lost something.

    It's hard to admmit to the fact that Uncharted 2 may be a much better game then, for example, Underworld. I'm the old TR-fan, so personally I will always choose Tomb Raider over some other game. To be honest, I have never played Uncharted, but looking at this footage makes me want to try it. If I had a PS3 I think I would by this game.

    Lara still rules and Drake (with his short legs) should be scared, because TR9 is coming.
    It does look a bit of a rip off of TR at least from that footage. Annoying similar but don't know about the rest of the game. Obviously some copying does go on between games. I think it's quite sad that TR has itself copied moves like the wall run which is a clear Prince of Persia move and so not Lara like.

    Tomb Raider and Lara has that uniqueness and that different feel to other games that makes it great and maybe feel better than these other similar games. TRU was a lot more generic with similar series than any other TR game so far. That is worrying and think CD have to be careful to keep a uniqueness that copy rival games can't match. Lara can easily outclass this Drake guy and have a bigger following. Just the games need to as well.

  18. #18
    Looks like a good game, but it just reminds me soooo much of Tomb Raider, but more tag-team-duel. Kind of like an Indiana Jones, but less whipy-whip.

    I'm interested in playing the old and new Uncharted, though.

    Yes, this has already been posted over 9,000 times before. But it's true, and when it's true it has to be plastered all over.
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivana KC View Post
    it looks like nepal on this part exactly like nepal :

    Not exactly, but it does have the same feeling as it does.



    Tomb Raider: Legend -Nepal

    Yes, it has huge similarities to eachother. But it's obvious that the creators of Uncharted has been inspired by Tomb Raider, and has been using the same elements as our Lara, when it comes to the actions/moves/animations.

    Yes, it's annoying, and we all hate seeing things ripped off from our favourite thing. But it doesn't make either game less crappy. I haven't played Uncharted, but when and or IF I do, I doubt it'll be exactly alike of TR.
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    Its not, I don't know about Uncharted 2, but the first was basically just cover, shoot, run, rinse and repeat after the first 20 minutes! Hardly any platforming at all in my memory and any platforming there was,w as just shimmying nothing that inventive, Legends moves set surpassed Drakes in UDF1
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Yes, that it exactly what you people are: I belong more to the mainstream crowd, I never made a secret of that.

    And to be honest, I don't know what you people are talking about: what I said in post 1 is that the new Udf looks like Tomb Raider and the material that Naughty Dog releases is the actual game, not false advertising like the Tr Underworld trailer.
    Like I said, keep up your fanboy ways with Uncharted. It's blatantly obvious.

    Also almost every post you made(lately/couple) is about UDF is amazing, best this and that,which is fine because theres nothing wrong with liking something but then you proceed to bash TR either before or after. It's becoming a trend.

    This is why I label you a fanboy, because of your posts as of late, this thread alone is just to throw insults at TR in general, anyone who isnt blind can see that.

  22. #22
    And yet you are wrong because I am not a typical fanboy of Uncharted, neither do I 'bash' Tr in general, I critisise Tr Underworld. There are lots of people here who proclaimed that Underworld blew and also people who have sympathies for Uncharted, so what all this fuss is about, I have no idea...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    And yet you are wrong because I am not a typical fanboy of Uncharted, neither do I 'bash' Tr in general, I critisise Tr Underworld. There are lots of people here who proclaimed that Underworld blew and also people who have sympathies for Uncharted, so what all this fuss is about, I have no idea...
    Well I'll stick by my opinion on the matter. I'm sure you'd have a better time over at the Uncharted forums though, that's more your game now since you seem to be done with TR (just going by your comments).

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    Well I'll stick by my opinion on the matter. I'm sure you'd have a better time over at the Uncharted forums though, that's more your game now since you seem to be done with TR (just going by your comments).
    Well what comments make you feel that way? I am not sure if you realise it, but I have been making fun of Nathen Drake for having short legs, I have also critised the story and the actual title of this thread implies that I acuse them for stealing ideas from Tr. Pretty unusual for a fanboy don't you think??
    I am also one of the few who are optimistic about the leaked Tr9 material.

  25. #25
    I know Uncharted is a similar game to Tomb Raider but why is there so many "It's a TR rip-off!!!" posts?

    Yeah, it's similar but it's not exactly a rip-off, it's got it's own elements which make it it's own game.

    No game is exactly original anymore, all FPS seem to be based in WW2 or in the Future (never in between those two timelines), most fighting games follow the same formula, platformers always have a weird mascot and/or animal and of course every game which includes an adventurer is associated with Indiana Jones (who is based off tons of old adventure films which include a hero carrying a whip and hat).

    Just because Lara explores Nepal doesn't mean Nathan Drake can't, if that happened there'll be no more areas that any videogame characters can explore!

    As for the bad comments made against TR such as "would you stop comparing this to Tomb Raider, that franchise is dead!", they do have a point. We might not agree with it but to be honest with TRU not selling as well as Eidos wanted and the news/rumours of another reboot, it isn't going to help the franchise get new supporters.

    I love TR but it doesn't mean I have to moan about Uncharted, I just think that's just silly. You're beginning to sound like the "fanboys" by retaliating against them.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •