Thread: Need help improving my human gameplay

Need help improving my human gameplay

Need help improving my human gameplay

So since my old topic about me and aiming and the very fact that a melee human support(with stuns etc) class will be unlikely so I tried to improve my human gameplay and aiming. (make my dream come true with the spear and shield class the developers mentioned in my other topic dealing with aiming) I tried playing scout to help improve my human game play and aim and even then my aim is not improving. (Since generally I am rubbish at TPS and fps games)

Its coming to the point where I actually personally hate playing humans and see the vampire round as a relief where I can actually enjoy the game.

Heck you can see it in my stats

Human wins:9
    Human Losses:62

Vampire wins:42
    Vampire Losses: 25

Plus my overall kill to death ratio is better as a vampire so now I am asking for help I simply don't know what to do now. Been trying various combinations healing alchemist etc but that causes people to group up and we all know how choking haze is and the fact that the deceiver is quite a popular class.

So I don't know what to do any advice would be appreciated.

OP I was in the same boat as you having issues with playing as human but I've managed to improve myself greatly, now I usually finish in first or second at the end of the round. You have two choices that you could do, whichever works for you. I totally relate to you, I hated playing as human because I am absolutely terrible at any games that involve shooting, let me reiterate, generally speaking at shooters I am absolutely terrible. So here is what I did:

1. Roll alchemist, slot the flamethrower or the heal. The former does a lot of damage if used correctly, the heal will be a great move to help your team. The issue with flamethrower or heal in my opinion is that whenever I run it, I get focused fired to the point of the game being unplayable, at which point firewall is the way to go, at least soften them up for your team!

2. Roll hunter and grab a bolt thrower, explosive arrow, poison bola, the reduced recoil perk, and just spray and pray. Long as you fire in the general direction of vamps you'll get a good chunk of damage going outwards, with enough practice you'll find yourself either soloing a target if they have no defensive cooldowns or forcing someone to pop their's and retreat. Even if you don't get a kill, you can force them away, this is what I decided to stick with. In some cases you can even face down a vamp and just keep firing non-stop and they will go down even when attacking you, the bolt thrower's large clip and decent damage up close is not to be underestimated.

I decided to practice with hunter, it's definitely become my best human class now that I've started using the bolt thrower full time, I never would have imagined topping the chart in a shooting game, I strongly recommend you give it a try.

I already tried the bolt thrower its still the same result.
    Last edited by shinros; 23rd Feb 2014 at 06:16.

The best defense may be a good offence but its still defense. The best human teams are the ones that defend each other, not the ones filled with solo players that are hunting for the kill. These players that rack up the kills during their human round are, more often than not, doing it while defending theirs teammates. Stay in at least one teammates line of sight and periodically check the status of all your teammates. If you or them fall under attack and you can at least see each other then you can assist or, if its too late, avenge each other. If you find yourself pinned with no hope of getting away, lay down as much damage as possible and you just might get by with the skin of you teeth or at the very least make the vamp that kills you an easy target for the teammate that is coming to your aid.

Keep your focus on improving your aim and use your damage dealt stat as a measure of your progress not your kill/death ratio. You'll get better and the damage dealt stat should increase with practice, but also develop some reflexes for situations that point and shoot can't solve. It used to be blind luck if I hit the sentinel with the daggers as it moved in to snatch me, stopping them and bring them to the ground, but by now I feel I've got more than a 70% chance of pulling it off if I catch it early enough.

Tip
    A good perk to have for human is the tinkerer. Those extra rounds before you have to reload can make the difference and that is true for any class.
    Last edited by GenFeelGood; 23rd Feb 2014 at 07:30.

really Tinkerer, I rather use the Run perk.

But Keep playing human and you get better in some time

First of all: Practice the aiming. You can aim better if you hold the right mouse button with both, the hunter and the scout. Maybe adjust your mouse sensivity, but hold that vamp into your crosslines.

Second: Never try to escape from a vamp that is meeleing you. It's useless. Shoot.

Thrid: There is just a couple of situations where the evade jump is usefull. Those are:
    A Hunter, ready to jump you. (Not when he is already in the air. Then shoot.)
    A Sentinel, trying to abduct you (Jump in a 90°angle away from his abduction-line.)
    A Sentinel, using dive bomb. (Many players make the misstake to jump away. You would be surprised how often you can get away unharmed, jumping into his direction)
    A Tyrant, charging.
    If you are in the middle of a choking hazard grenade, ready to go off: Run. Jumping will cost you most probably 200HP.

Fourth: Use the heal stations.

Fifth: Never stay still. In fact, it's the best for a human team to not stay at a location for too long since they are just digging their graves. After you sucessfull defeated a vamp-wave, heal up and change location to next nearest heal-station. Repeat.

Thats it for me.

Originally Posted by TheMalgot
    First of all: Practice the aiming. You can aim better if you hold the right mouse button with both, the hunter and the scout. Maybe adjust your mouse sensivity, but hold that vamp into your crosslines.

Second: Never try to escape from a vamp that is meeleing you. It's useless. Shoot.

Thrid: There is just a couple of situations where the evade jump is usefull. Those are:
    A Hunter, ready to jump you. (Not when he is already in the air. Then shoot.)
    A Sentinel, trying to abduct you (Jump in a 90°angle away from his abduction-line.)
    A Sentinel, using dive bomb. (Many players make the misstake to jump away. You would be surprised how often you can get away unharmed, jumping into his direction)
    A Tyrant, charging.
    If you are in the middle of a choking hazard grenade, ready to go off: Run. Jumping will cost you most probably 200HP.

Fourth: Use the heal stations.

Fifth: Never stay still. In fact, it's the best for a human team to not stay at a location for too long since they are just digging their graves. After you sucessfull defeated a vamp-wave, heal up and change location to next nearest heal-station. Repeat.

Thats it for me.
    ^True

Run away before a sentinel goes an melee you (just a second before, if you have sprint perk)
    without sprint perk you are dead if you don't have a good team, cause they will melee kill you anyway

- It's easier to hit targets attacking team members.
    - Run perk is called fleet-footed. And Cooldown might be the way to go, I've had a lot of success recently with the alchemist with it, especially if you are leaning on high cooldown abilities.
    - Even if you're in one area, try to give a little side to side or circular motion. IT'll give you a littler bit more defense when you're team is holed, up. A little bit can go a mile.
    PRACTICE you dodges.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

I'd also like to add that if you don't have some sort of Surround Sound ability with a pain of headphones, that can really improve your chances against vamps.

I can't stress enough how much my success when I'm playing hinges upon the ability to use sound to gauge where attacks are coming from. Learning the timing of players and their ability use and you'll almost never be pounced, snatched or Charged ever again. Any class with the ability to move out of the way and team protection will absolutely smash only the most vicious and skilled of vamps.

Don't kill chase (Unless you are absolutely sure you know you'll get it) and just watch out for your buddies, be mobile and sight down the target with the cross-hair on the screen more than aim at the vamp. Heal when you can, don't try to be 'efficient' with the healing stations, I just them whenever there is a quiet moment in the combat. I use the perk that gives back more health from the healing stations myself.

"You can't DPS if you're dead" is how I usually look at it and having full health every vamp wave is a huge advantage in my opinion as many vamp tactics involve 'Hit and Run' to wear down humans.

Thanks for the information and do you know what really helped? Increasing the sensitivity I am noting a increase in my gameplay. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Team play is the best when it comes to this game from what I've gauged over playing for the closed Alpha. I have played plenty of great human games because everyone stuck together and knew how to use the surroundings to route the vamps to their doom. But I have been in plenty of parties where I lost on either side due to lack of cooperation. Imo go Alch, get the multi grenade launcher with flamethrower and you'll be right as rain. The aiming for the other classes take some time to get use to but once you can pick off a Reaver from across the map as hes coming up on you as a Scout is so rewarding. Cheers, see you in the game!

1st biggest tip, aim at your allies, vampires are melee so they have to get close to attack, let your team aim at the vamps and you cover their ass, cover their ass from somewhere they are forced to cover yours.... in their line of sight.

teamplay teamplay teamplay! remember its nice to kill but its better to win, I don't care if all my kills are stolen if I win the round.

pick your class to counter the enemy don't play a class just because you like it, play it because its works,

change fov to about 110

if someone suggests you do something in match then try it don't rage at them for suggesting you do something different to what you are.

watch the skies for reaver haze, listen for vampire audio cues.

if all your allies are not in full line of sight your team and you is doing it wrong, if your team is so close they can all be aoe'd by 1 vampire attack they are doing it wrong, learn to use the middle ground (close but not too close)

Originally Posted by Syst3mzero
    1st biggest tip, aim at your allies, vampires are melee so they have to get close to attack, let your team aim at the vamps and you cover their ass, cover their ass from somewhere they are forced to cover yours.... in their line of sight.

teamplay teamplay teamplay! remember its nice to kill but its better to win, I don't care if all my kills are stolen if I win the round.

pick your class to counter the enemy don't play a class just because you like it, play it because its works,

change fov to about 110

if someone suggests you do something in match then try it don't rage at them for suggesting you do something different to what you are.

watch the skies for reaver haze, listen for vampire audio cues.

if all your allies are not in full line of sight your team and you is doing it wrong, if your team is so close they can all be aoe'd by 1 vampire attack they are doing it wrong, learn to use the middle ground (close but not too close)
    I agree with what you said here, but (as one who plays for gits and shiggles) I always play for fun first, hence I play what I feel like at a given time, usually sentinel/scout but lately reaver/hunter. Occasionally tyrant. Sometimes I feel it necessary to remind some people that this is for fun first and foremost unless you're in e-sports and make a living off winning games. That's different though.
    In-game: Sirshua, being a sir everywhere.

agreed, but I do think all the classes are fun, even though I like all classes I do have favourites. I would never advise anyone to play a class they hate but play classes that may not be their favourite I would.

These are indeed very good tips, thanks for sharing. My favorite classes are Tyrant and Alchemist. As Tyrant I am sometimes too quick with my attack, I have to learn to wait on my team. As Alchemist I try to protect my teammates against attacks by vampires, as much as possible that is if I do not be killed before, of course ... I'm still in the learning zone.
    signature image
    The descent had destroyed me... and yet I lived.

I keep finding that teamwork is really the way to go. I mean...just in General.

In regards to aiming:
    Make sure that you have mouse acceleration turned off. In windows 7, (in your control panel, under devices & printers) right-click your mouse and select "Mouse Properties. Go to the "Pointer Options" tab and de-select "Enhance pointer precision".

Mouse acceleration makes it so that the faster you go from point A to point B on your mouse pad, the further your corresponding distance your pointer moves on your PC. This is a VERY difficult extra variable for your brain to calculate in the heat of battle. It would require you to know the SPEED of your movements and keep them constant during heated gameplay. This is nearly impossible imo, and the source of a lot of inaccuracy. Enhanced Pointer Precision is turned on by default for the convenience of using an operating system. It gives the most distance for the last amount of movement. It'll take some getting used to, and you'll have to be more of an arm mover then a wrist mover (unless you use high sensitivities) but in the long run it's almost impossible that you're MORE accurate with mouse acceleration turned on.
    Last edited by killdrith; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:00.

^Good tip.

Just play! Practice makes perfect.
    Try to train on other fps games also.
    I got about 6 years of fps experience on my hands, so I don't know exactly how to help, good luck.

As someone who had a rude awakening leaving the New Recruit section, this is super helpful! Thanks!

I've found I hate playing humans because people quit when they realize we have to play humans. I play for an hour and a half last night, and only twice did I get a full team as humans. I mean comon people, WHAT is the point of playing this game if you're gonna do it on a one sided basis. I suck at scout, I can't aim for CRAP. But the other classes totally make up for that in attack speed or aoe attacks, there are PLENTY of ability options too. At least try to play them.

this rarely happens to me anymore just luck i guess, when it does its short sided for vamps also. what i hate is that ppl cant seam to learn to watch each others backs as humans, and attack together as vamps
    signature image

Thankies – this is really helpful! (I come back here time and again to see what people have put).

I think the best thing I’ve found – don’t be afraid to challenge yourself – play a class even for one life that you wouldn’t normally to get better at it and improve it…

I usually play Alchemist as my aim is pretty bad – though over the last few weeks I’ve forced myself to play Hunter to improve my aim. I’ll do at least 3-4 minutes with him per match and then the remaining match with Alchemist. It’s paying off – as I’m now be able to hit things (though still don’t make many kills). I even managed to hit a flying Sentinel the other day woohoo . - So go for it - don't be afraid to challenge yourself!

The thing I find is most the time I don’t get many kills – the most kills I get are as I’m dying/dead so they don’t get counted – I had at least 5 afterlife kills in one Human match yesterday…So if anyone has any suggestions on how to actually make kills – please let me know

Afterlife kills count. Dmg after death doesn't.