Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Electric lights

Electric lights

Electric lights

How can we extinguish electric lights?They are causing so much trouble, aren't they?

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    How can we extinguish electric lights?They are causing so much trouble, aren't they?
    Kind of the point, if you ask me. The electric lights represented a challenge to sneaking through the area that couldn't be dealt with by throwing water at it, and thus required a little more thinking beyond the knee jerk reaction of "light+water arrow=SUCCESS!"

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    Kind of the point, if you ask me. The electric lights represented a challenge to sneaking through the area that couldn't be dealt with by throwing water at it, and thus required a little more thinking beyond the knee jerk reaction of "light+water arrow=SUCCESS!"
    Agreed.

Some electric lights had switches in T2, others didn't. That's kinda part of the challenge.

But maybe we can extinguish them in hard way.Changing fuse or something. Like COSAS Mission X. . But yes, not necessary I guess.

I was always a bit irritated that broadhead arrows wouldn't break them, since it seemed that broadhead arrows ought to do the trick. However, because of balance reasons, I say keep them permanent, with the exception of ones with switches (but let the guards turn them back on if they find them off).

Originally Posted by Zahr Dalsk
    I was always a bit irritated that broadhead arrows wouldn't break them, since it seemed that broadhead arrows ought to do the trick. However, because of balance reasons, I say keep them permanent, with the exception of ones with switches (but let the guards turn them back on if they find them off).
    Well, you have a point there. Broadheads should damage electrical lights. Maybe something for T4? But it should be really noisy, so you wouldn't misuse such a feature.

Realism shouldn't be allowed to be invoked in order to make a game mechanic less good.

Electric lights should have real power lines, then the player could deduct where the lines are going, follow the lines and find a fuse box. The player could flip the fuse off, then the player would have a short window of time to sneak through the place that used to have the light before a guard goes and flips the fuse back on.

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    Electric lights should have real power lines, then the player could deduct where the lines are going, follow the lines and find a fuse box. The player could flip the fuse off, then the player would have a short window of time to sneak through the place that used to have the light before a guard goes and flips the fuse back on.
    Good idea.
    And moss arrows may be silencer. Throw a moss arrow to the light,then a broadhead. But I guess still noisy. Fuse box is good.

The power lines are in the walls, so following them isn't really possible. However, every complex should have a fuse box/electrical station that can be gotten into through lock picking, and disabled by removing a fuse and hiding it somewhere (just so it's not super easy, even though you could still knockout anyone who came to turn the lights back on)

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    The power lines are in the walls, so following them isn't really possible. However, every complex should have a fuse box/electrical station that can be gotten into through lock picking, and disabled by removing a fuse and hiding it somewhere (just so it's not super easy, even though you could still knockout anyone who came to turn the lights back on)
    The power lines were these huge brass-shielded cables in T2, bolted outside, not inside the walls. You could follow them and find a switch.
    But having a lock to pick in order to get to the switch in the fuse box, good idea. Or... the fuse box could have this oddly shaped fuse box key like there are nowadays.

You kidding? This is Thief 4! Hammerites invented dry wall and spackle after DS.

13. Just make it the same as in the previous games. It worked there, was challenging enough, but also avoidable and possible to eliminate.

Maybe defusing the light where devs intended.but i say leave it.if it aint broke..

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    The power lines were these huge brass-shielded cables in T2, bolted outside, not inside the walls. You could follow them and find a switch.
    But having a lock to pick in order to get to the switch in the fuse box, good idea. Or... the fuse box could have this oddly shaped fuse box key like there are nowadays.
    only in certain parts could you see the giant cables, in others where the light fixture had no switch, you're left to believe the cables are in the wall and go to some mysterious power source that no one has access to, how not green can you get having a light that even you can't turn off? phht...

Originally Posted by Hypevosa
    only in certain parts could you see the giant cables, in others where the light fixture had no switch, you're left to believe the cables are in the wall and go to some mysterious power source that no one has access to, how not green can you get having a light that even you can't turn off? phht...
    I never said that every light should have the possibility of turning it off. Some strategically placed lights, yes, but not all.

Originally Posted by Zahr Dalsk
    (but let the guards turn them back on if they find them off).
    Ha ha. Brilliant. Maybe we should also let the guards that carry torches light back the wall torches that we put out? I mean, why not? Torch is out. It shouldn't be. He has the source of fire. It seems very reasonable to me.

The electric light could at some points be put out not near at eaven half of them. But lets say at a level there is a very bright lighted area with electric light with loads of guards. You need to find the fusebox and first pick a lock to the room and then use the lockpick to short circuit the electrics. The whole place would go dark and you need to hurry back to the know dark area, some guards gets the electrician and some other just checks the power room for rats and such. That leaves just 1 or 2 guards left in the dark. You sneak past them. get to the thing you need to steal take it and leave before the electrician gets the lights back on.

At other places the electric lights is there because you need to think longer then just put out a torch. At these point the electric light dont have a visible cable. There is just nothing you could do about these lights.

Originally Posted by K^2
    Maybe we should also let the guards that carry torches light back the wall torches that we put out? I mean, why not? Torch is out. It shouldn't be. He has the source of fire. It seems very reasonable to me.
    Agreed. You just read my mind.

I definitely think that if it's an electric light, it should have a switch. Alternatively, make it so that if you shoot a water arrow at an electric light, the water shorts it out for awhile, then comes back on automatically after the water drips off.

That or just replace them completely with gas lights.

If you really want to make it a pain in the ass, you have a gas light, surrounded by glass. You have to break the glass with a broadhead, which makes noise, then a water arrow to put out the flame, and when a guard finds it, they can just relight it.

Or you could just shoot it with a moss arrow and have the moss grow over the glass, blocking the light.

If you really want to have a light that absolutely can't be extinguished, you can always have a magic glowing crystal.

I think that there should be the same amount of fire-based and electric lights as we've seen in the previous games, but the electric lights should stay the way they are. A few rare lights can be switched off, but most of them should be constantly on. I mean, c'mon. Leave at least a bit of the challenge.

If the AI is good enough to the point where they'll seek to turn lights back on, carry torches and relight torches, etc, then I see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to extinguish every light source by some method. I mean really, it'll turn back on eventually anyways unless you knock everyone out.

EDIT: although those glowing mushrooms could still be a problem if they aren't edible XD

I definitely agree that there should be lights that cannot be put out by any means. And having some electric lights have remote switches could increase incentive to explore. Say you see an electric light in a guarded passage. It might mean that this light has a switch elsewhere that you haven't found, or that there is an alternative path to be found. Or it might actually be the only way through with no switch anywhere, and it's really a test of your stealth, but you won't know until you double check every dark corner.

If you know in advance that every electric light has a switch somewhere you can access, it would strongly diminish the effect.

That's what glowing magic crystals are for.

Yeah, but the interesting bit is to have something that you don't know in advance if it can be turned off or not.

But if that light in the hall can be turned off, then when you turn it off, you never know if someone is going to turn it back on right when you're walkin through the hallway...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last