Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: User Guides:

User Guides:

User Guides:

With the upcoming closed beta I was wanting to compile a list of guides, something with class basics that will help out the newer beta players. I'm not insane though, so I need some help. Who wants to make one? Sometime this week would be nice so when the Beta is announced I can upload them to the forums and have them ready (Can't share them until after the NDA is lifted.) I'm not looking for anything super in depth. Just basics on the class, skill/abilities, weapons/special attacks, and a couple basic strategies on how to use them. (Players requested in parenthesis, this doesn't mean only them. It's just a good player with that class who I know about.)

Any volunteers either let me know, or reply here, I'll edit this post:

Humans-
    Cookiedude

Scout-
    Majesticles
    Hunter-
    Strike- completed
    Alchemist-
    lucinvampire- completed

Vampires
    Cookiedude

Tyrant-
    Plux
    Reaver-
    Ohmz - completed
    Sentinel-
    Hugbringer (Gameplay)and Sausage (Basics and Skills/abilities Comparison). - completed
    Hugbringer and I have finished ours. Here's the guide for an example: I'd recommend using a format similar to this, for organization's sake. The others will be posted once everyone has completed their section, and Closed Beta Starts. Massive props to Hugbringer for his awesome tips/strategies.

Sentinel
    The sentinel is arguably the strongest class if used properly, the issue is that it’s easily the most punishable. They have the best map visibility, most mobility, and can easily isolate a human. The downside is that you stick out like a sore-thumb if you don’t play effectively. This class if known for having the highest learning curve of the vampires. The tradeoff being the massive rush you get from snagged a person from a doorway and out the window before the humans can even react. Don’t expect to lead the board for your team in K/D/A with this class, it’s not likely to happen and that’s not your role.
    Suggested Perks: Cooldown, Bloodthirsty, or Acrobat

FLYING: Flying is an ability unique to the sentinel class of vampires. While airborne, press the space bar to deploy your wings. You do not have to jump. Anytime you fall you can fly, with the exception of falling while climbing. Touching the ground will automatically cancel flight, alternatively, pressing the space bar again will cancel it as well.

Base Special attacks

Kidnap: This is the default special attack for sentinels. Activating this will give a slight speed burst for about 1 second. Any human you fly into at that point will be picked up off the ground. You will maintain holding them until you are either shot out of the sky or 4 seconds (whichever is first.) After 4 seconds you drop the player. The higher you fly the more damage they take when they fall.

Abduct: Abduct is the “sidegrade” for Kidnap in a sentinel’s arsenal. The trade-off is that you carry for less time (thus lowering drop damage) while harming them while being carried. Abduct is typically more consistent, typically around 500+ damage, but kidnap can have damages for about 600+ if it’s done right.

Note about kidnap and abduct: Often, newer players find their skill getting “cancelled” and them landing on the ground. This is because of the post-activation damage threshold. After activating the skill you can only take up to 205 damage before having flight cancelled, and thus landing right in the middle of all the enemies. DO NOT use this skill if you think you have a good chance of being shot.

Primary Abilities

Wing Flap: This is the default, and typically more-favored, primary ability for a sentinel. This causes 300 damage to players in a 180 degree radius. The real benefit of this ability is that it causes a stun and knockback for all enemies caught in the skill too. It’s typically a perfect set-up for a charged melee strike of another 400 damage. The major flaw with this attack is that many players spam it, thus knocking enemy players out of friendly combos.

Puncture: Puncture is the other choice instead of Wing Flap. This attack is a little harder to use as it has a higher activation time and is a little harder to aim, but can be targeted while activating (in case you need to change directions). It’s a very consistent 450 damage and only has a 10 second cool down time. It also tends to synergize well with teammate attacks.

Secondary Abilities

Divebomb: This is the default attack for the sentinel’s secondary slot. It’s insanely strong and easy to aim. Activate this ability during flight. You will spin while diving, immune to all stuns except the war bow, dealing 250 damage to all enemies near the impact radius. While most players like to lead with this, it’s much better as a finishing skill. This skill loves double kills.
    Echolocation: This ability allows you to see through walls around the entire map. Any enemies hidden via cover, buildings, stealth, or in smoke are visible to the player using this. It’s great for finding solo players, but without a second damage dealing skill, it’s kind of lackluster in all honestly. But, it looks cool as crap and style means a lot. Some members of the development team have expressed a lot of praise for this skill, although the community, so far, doesn’t find it worth giving up the options that you would get from Divebomb or Take-off.
    Take-off: If there is any skill that signifies the abilities of a specific player’s role on a team Take-off is that ability. First and foremost, Take-off is your ONLY defensive skill. It will break any stuns/control skills enemies used and send you flying into the air, dealing 175 damage to all players in your immediate vicinity. There’s one major flaw with this skill though. You go ALL the way up to the top of the map. Using this at the wrong time will leave you as a seagull in the sky saying “I’m right here, shoot me!”

General Tactics:

Be Aware: You tend to be the first target that takes heat from the enemy as you are the most obvious target in the air. Your wing flaps and diving are also very audible and you will be tracked in flight by sound alone. Always listen and be aware of where sounds are coming from and don't be afraid to 'Not Fly' as foot-falls don't carry as far as wing flaps. It is also useful (and risky for you the Sentinel) for your team as it'll let them know where the enemy is just by their attempts to shoot at you. So many of the abilities that you use create so much noise that you need to be aware of it to maintain any element of surprise. Re-spawning humans are your worst nightmare as many Scouts are more than happy to shoot you while you are circling your prey.

Utilize Cover: Being the glorious death dealer from above, that you are, when the location of the enemy is known take advantage of the terrain to keep it between you and them till the last possible moment. Its a fine line between staying low and soaring above and what tactic is right at which time. If the enemy is engaged, go up and prepare for fast dive to rejoin the fight quickly. If NO fighting is going on, stay low and 'feel' out where the enemy is before making a decision. An easy thing to remember is If you can see them, they can likely see you (and shoot you) too. Don't be afraid to 'Drop' out of flight by just hitting the space bar and reactivating shortly afterward, it is probably your best way to dodging enemy fire.

Don't get Greedy: If you see the enemy from a heightened position, they likely see you as well, avoid contact immediately with a dodge+dive and come in from a different angle (Never underestimate your ability to catch an arrow to the chest). Always use misdirection and the terrain to your advantage and it ends up helping others. While the enemy was focused on 'Where you were or might be coming from', you and your vampire brothers can seize the opportunity to come from a different angle. The 'Long Dive' is tempting, but it is a huge risk and prepared humans will shred you instantly. Try to refrain from the 'Long Dive' only when re-engaging after a death or an opportunity to help a fellow Vampire in trouble. You can make a big difference by engaging smart and not just the nearest person or the easy kill.

The Snatch: The hardest thing to get good at as it is the core ability of the Sentinel and the most unforgiving in failure. There is almost an art to using Kidnap or Abduct that will take much practice to truly get skilled with. You have to 'Commit' to the dive in most cases as being cautious about it likely only leads to death. Activate the ability just before you are on top of them, as the sound effect for it is very loud and obvious. The faster you are moving when it is active, the more upward momentum you'll receive afterward as well. One advanced (and very risky) benefit is that while active, you won't land. Using it this way will let you fly into a doorway and grab someone and squeeze out the other side if you're moving fast enough. Higher is usually better as well; most humans tend to be only looking slightly above the plane of the field, keeping as much of the area in their line of sight for vamps on the ground or vamps on the roof top. You have to come from even higher above! Hop down the edge of a building and free-fall, activating both flight and the Kidnap at nearly the same time for some super-sneaky snatching. Make the diving snatch as difficult as you can for yourself and you'll snatch and grab before anyone even knows you were there, it is a very satisfying feeling. Go for the weak ones, watch for life bars, take advantage of the third person camera to peer around corners or watch healing stations. This is how you really make a difference, being a vulture that shows no mercy nor honor.

After the Snatch: This depends on the abilities that you have and the situation you are currently in. You always have to react quickly and decisively. If you snatch and are taking fire as you ascend, drop your snack and break off the attack, you won't help your team being dead (Extra Dead?). You've also distracted them with your mere presence and someone might actually chase you Don't get Greedy. Some tactics are take them up to a roof top and than blowing them off for two times the fall damage (Once from the Snatch and once from the fall off the building). Other tactics are to use Puncture to take them on, Man vs. Vamp and snack at your 'sometimes' safety atop the building. If your not being attacked, feel free to drop them on your fellow vamps, they're more than happy to gnaw on them. Or just dive in to finish them off with your bare claws. Try to put a piece of terrain between them and their human buddies though, it forces them to choose between helping their friend and dividing their forces and or leaving him to his grisly fate. In general its always wise to break off if you're taking fire from enemy forces not within your reach, even more so for the Sentinel with your only 'Escape' being a very obvious path and easy to predict.
    Last edited by cmstache; 23rd Feb 2014 at 17:01. Reason: Sentinel guide added
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

Nice idea!
    Looking forward to read good guides, because I need it xDD
    signature image

I feel a little sad I wasn't in that list for Tyrant guides!
    Suppose you throw a coin enough times.Suppose one day, it lands on its edge...

Majesticles here! I'll try and type one up about the Scout, since Reaver is my least played class. Victorian Rat is a decent Reaver if I may suggest her.
    Steam Name: Majesticles
    Eidos Forums: Raziel689 (Ancient but some may recognize it)

I'll start putting together something simple, but hopefully useful together for Sentinel players, as there will be ALOT of them. Don't think I'm the best at the Sent, but I like to think I'm pretty annoying most of the time

Start expecting the 'How do I fly?' question a lot in Closed beta.

As some of you know there is a nice communityEditors account. It would be perfect if this guide was able to be posted from that account instead of a private players account or multiple accounts (One topic for guides would be great)

As I see that strike is probably going to help writing and he got access to the account, it would be a good idea to do it. Don't you think so? (setting it up something in the trend of the Known bugslist with the jump links)

and if anyone els need access to the account they have to contact me or strike so we can contact driber (we don't want to many people on it, but incase it is needed).

For the rest great idea and if I can be of any help let me know (have to finish known bug list and FAQ first though)
    Last edited by hirukaru; 20th Feb 2014 at 00:51.

Or, I could just give it to you when it's done and you post it...

Ok that is perfect Ill let Driber know to get permission.

(I will create something nice of it with lots of credits to the guys helped building this guide ofcourse)

Originally Posted by CoOkiedude
    I feel a little sad I wasn't in that list for Tyrant guides!
    I'd be up for reading a guide you make. I found your tips helpful.

Hmm... Cookiedude... I got a seperate one for you if you want?

How about 2 smaller guides: "Vampires" and "Humans"

Unlike the class specific ones think of these as basic guidelines for teamwork within the two races. In other words "How to play effectively as a vampire" and the same one for humans. Because, as we all know and new people don't, they are two very different experiences.

Originally Posted by Xelqypla
    I'd be up for reading a guide you make. I found your tips helpful.
    Why thank you kind sir!

Originally Posted by cmstache

Unlike the class specific ones think of these as basic guidelines for teamwork within the two races. In other words "How to play effectively as a vampire" and the same one for humans. Because, as we all know and new people don't, they are two very different experiences.
    But...butbut.....Tyrant...*sniff* Ooook I'll see what I can think of... you meanie.

Tyrant is already taken though

And, I have you down.

I'd be willing to write a guide, were deemed I enough nominations to do so.

I think this is a wonderful idea

I am pretty limited on time this week and how much I can actually type at the moment to be able to write something massive for Alc, though I should be able to pull something together about each item by the end of the weekend...even if it's something for someone else to add too at a later date...

EDIT: It appears the odds are in Nisgoth’s favour - because my computer hasn’t done what it's supposed to all morning so I’ve nearly got something basic drafted. I still need to add proper ability names (no one will understand what I call them)...hopefully either later today or tomorrow it'll be ready!
    Last edited by lucinvampire; 20th Feb 2014 at 11:08.

Originally Posted by cmstache

you want to make this a whole seperate guide of include it in the big one.

1. Introduction
    2. Human classes
    2.1 Human teamwork
    2.1 Hunter
    2.2 Scout
    2.3 Alchemist
    2.4 Reserve
    2.5 Reserve
    3. Vampire classes
    3.1 Vampire teamwork
    3.1 Reaver
    3.2 Tyrant
    3.3 Sentinel

3.4 Deceiver
    3.5 Reserve
    4. Reserve
    5. Reserve
    6. Reserve
    7. Reserve
    8. Reserve
    9. Reserve
    10. Reserve
    11. Reserve
    12. Credits

NOTES:

Something like this. (ignore the reserve post of course I always make lots of extra's for big guides.

(I Doubt about the spoiler part, even though it is easy it takes up pretty much room to place it there)

Might put the teamwork part just in the Human section/Vampire section instead of making a seperate sub heading for them
    Or might put it in one of the reserves
    Maybe someone (Sausage) can write a short/powerfull introduction if anyone feels like it.

I got this now as a temp one:

Alpha players have been busy, creating a guide for all new players. This guide is written by the Community of NOSGOTH and not only by the people who have access to the CommunityEditors account. Within this guide we try to explain the main tactics of the different classes and thus increase the speed of your learning curve for each and any of those classes.
    We hope you enjoy reading this guide. Please click on one of the following links below to leap towards the specific information you are looking for.
    Last edited by hirukaru; 20th Feb 2014 at 11:40.

If you guys end up making a wiki page for the classes, I think you should add the various quotes the classes say as well for spawn/kill/double/execution/etc. Stuff like that is always fun to read.

Edited the top.

Also, just for clarification, cookiedude, I wouldn't spend much time, if any on class specific strategies because those will be covered in the class guide itself. I'd only cover general teamplay tactics of the team, like keeping LoS with all 3 of your teammates as humans.

Just didn't want you to do a bunch of extra useless work.

If any of you finish a guide e-mail it to me at stachester@gmail.com.

I am keeping them on a private folder in my google drive until we can release them. If any alpha players want to look at them beforehand though I can PM you a link to view it. But, it's inaccessible without my permission, for now, for NDA reasons.

The index itself looks nice Hiru. Maybe some tweaks once it's being made, but that's the basic idea!

This is turning out well so far, and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from the veterans about making a guide to help the new incoming players.

You are almost a veteran your self Hotdog .
    Oké I keep it this way. Waiting for the rest of the info

Got permission from Driber so I can post it on Sunday when Alpha forums turn into Open Forum I guess...

Edited, ohmz finished his.

Yeah what I had in mind certainly didn't include any extensive info on class specific tips no worries I'll get mine done by tomorrow methinks.

I'm always ready to read and give my opinion on stuff my area of "expertise" being hunter,scout/alch,reaver

Deputy that would be great. Think Sausage will send you a link. (even though I have the latest version and being checked by sausage as we speak)

(we seem like Dev's our self now)

The document now includes Reaver and Sentinel.
    Just a few more.

Not even close, lol.

And I think Lucin might need some help with the alch. I was gonna fine tune it, but if you want to deputy, you can.

Dev's in the way we communicate.
    I will be the lazy dev then :P (where is that snooze button)

Communication is the key to efficiency.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last