Thread: What are the NEGATIVES about LRFFXIII?

What are the NEGATIVES about LRFFXIII?

Having a lot of optional content and side quests used to be a staple of the Final Fantasy series up until the 13 trilogy. The problem I have with the side quests isn't that they are time consuming or irrelevant to the main story, the fact that some parts go off on a tangent is something I consider to be a good thing. The problem I have is that there is soo little content which is compounded by being expected to repeat the same few sets of quests over and over again.

Biggest problem with this as well as the first 13 is that there isn't enough content, but at least the first one felt finished if sparse. Having so much fun with the combat system only to find myself with nothing to do so quickly has been one of my most frustrating experiences as a gamer, blue balls is really the best way to describe it. The experience has gone along ways to destroy my faith in Square.

Originally Posted by Mordeth_Kai
    Having a lot of optional content and side quests used to be a staple of the Final Fantasy series up until the 13 trilogy. The problem I have with the side quests isn't that they are time consuming or irrelevant to the main story, the fact that some parts go off on a tangent is something I consider to be a good thing. The problem I have is that there is soo little content which is compounded by being expected to repeat the same few sets of quests over and over again.

Biggest problem with this as well as the first 13 is that there isn't enough content, but at least the first one felt finished if sparse. Having so much fun with the combat system only to find myself with nothing to do so quickly has been one of my most frustrating experiences as a gamer, blue balls is really the best way to describe it. The experience has gone along ways to destroy my faith in Square.
    You know, i can kind of see that. A lot of times side quests were just that -- Side quests, whereas in this game they're much more mandatory in order to progress through the game due to Eradia/stat increases. Instead of calling them side quests they probably should have been labeled something else due to the crucial nature they run in the game. If anything, it feels as if they were included to help cover up the over all lack of content which is unfortunate, but true. Still an enjoyable game, though.

And Valhalla, congrats on beating Snow! If you did it on day 10 or so then you were probably fighting a buffed up/harder version of Snow at that, nicely done. I also enjoyed those sets of cut scenes.

Later on you can get 9 EP or so via NG+; I haven't seen it higher than 9 though. You'll wreck NG+ for sure because you'll have better garbs, stats and, more importantly, knowledge. I've seen people transition from Easy to Hard without issues; once you have those Hard mode isn't that much harder. Mobs may be a tad stronger and you'll have to conserve EP a bit better, but it isn't too much of an issue once you know what you're doing.

I was looking for a way to mute Hope, he just irritates you through the whole game. I don't like the way they did the forge and upgrading weapons. Having to beat the final boss to get a New+ just to upgrade weapons was pointless. If you killed all the last ones and still had all the components when you started a new game you can finish out almost all the quests in three days and have to speed up time to get to the final boss. And some of the quests were really lame, chasing sheep...really! And not just once but twice...its like they wasn't trying to make the quest interesting or challenging. I did like this game better than XIII-2 but it lacks greatly in comparison to XIII.

Originally Posted by Veiron
    I know I shouldn't have to say "SPOILERS" in this thread, but I know there's gonna be that one person who looks without reading and ends up spoiling it for themselves, so, "SPOILER WARNING!"

Alright. I know a lot of people are gonna say "Hope" and a lot of other people are gonna say "Snow" or "Some of the music was offsetting, but that's not the issue. I didn't like the ending. Not at all. It was very lackluster, and it seem like it was quickly put together without much thought at all. A dime a dozen ending that just left me feeling completely empty and crushed. I mean, sure, everyone made it at the end. But what happened? They killed the evil God and decided to remake the world into our world. No magic, Chocobos, Cocoon, Pulse. Nothing. Instead of going into a deeper depth of story telling at the end of a story, instead of making us go, "Wow, that was amazing! What a great ending! Everything's alright now." They instead went, "Oh Hey! Why don't we just hit the reset button! 'pfft!'"

PERSONAL OPINION
    Personally I would have liked to see Lightning be given just enough power from Bhunivezle to remake the world once, and instead of using all that power to remake the world like in this ending, you see everything they did in the first game flash onscreen up until they de-crystalized. When they wake up, Its just like the ending in the first game, except Fang and Vanille are there with them. They still have there L'Cie brands, but they're burned over like they were at the final battle. Lightning decided to remake the world just as it was before, but opted to keep the brands so Etro could hold back the Chaos. The new dawn they fought Bhunivezle for was the same dawn they fought Orphan and Barthandelus for. To me, that would have been a better ending. A more "Final Fantasy ending."

Let me know if you guys agree or disagree!

Veiron
    ok I didn't read your post because I saw you wrote spoilers.

From what I've seen of the ending and the _______, from what I gather from people who've completed the game it's kind of like mass effect 3 ending - you either like it or you don't (granted I haven't played the ME trilogy yet, though its on my gaming backlog). IMO from all the gifs and such I've seen on tumbler since last year, SE should've gone with a bittersweet ending not a ________ one.

i have to apologize for sounding like temperamental b*tch in most of my posts - honestly, playing LRFFXIII has caused this.

I finally failed the game, it was boring and I was trying to figure out ways to past the time so the timer would end. The game over screen is somewhat nice, I like the red. I ought they'd be a proper cutscene (besides the 3 second one they actually have). Now I'm playing on normal. Day 1, on the ark with Hope. Don't know when I'll start my 2nd playthrough. Really dreading the side quests.

I also finally figured out why I couldn't connect to the outworld, you have to change it in settings agin besides doing the whole 'I agree' thing. Argh. Plus is there a way to re-watch cutscenes? I accidentally skipped the first one, I want to re-watch the opening cinematic where lightning and snow fight.

Originally Posted by Malpardis
    And Valhalla, congrats on beating Snow! If you did it on day 10 or so then you were probably fighting a buffed up/harder version of Snow at that, nicely done. I also enjoyed those sets of cut scenes.

Later on you can get 9 EP or so via NG+; I haven't seen it higher than 9 though. You'll wreck NG+ for sure because you'll have better garbs, stats and, more importantly, knowledge. I've seen people transition from Easy to Hard without issues; once you have those Hard mode isn't that much harder. Mobs may be a tad stronger and you'll have to conserve EP a bit better, but it isn't too much of an issue once you know what you're doing.
    thanks I didn't think I'd be able to beat him since it was my final day (day 9) but it worked. I got shirtless snow, I actually wanted him to be shirtless in my second playthrough not my first. So I don't know what the difference is during the second part when you fight him and he's shirtless versus the second part fighting him when he's not semi-nude. I heard he is stronger when he loses his coat.

To me, hard mode seems like it'd be hard, at least for me. But I believe you when you say if you've completed easy then play hard it should be fine because you've got the stats and garbs, etc.

After playing this game for a solid 15 hours I can confirm you are asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is "What are the POSITIVES?". My answer of which would be "The Outfits were pretty cool".
    Seriously, this game was the worst. if I could go back in time and un-buy it I would do so in a heartbeat. I'd also *-slap my past self for even thinking this game might be decent, even if I had no reason to think otherwise.

I don't want the originals remade. In fact I think most people who actually own the originals would rather they remained unmade out of fear it would become corrupt and turned into another DLC magnet to bleed the consumers dry like every other game these days. I'd very much want them to keep moving forward with new games...I'd just like for them to not be blindfolded so they can friggin see where they're going. Lightning Returns was an obvious example of this; Final Fantasy XIII wasn't perfect, but if it had one thing going for it it was the Paradigm system, I think that was a great step forward, but then they go and wreck it with Lightning Returns's crappy battle system. words can't even describe how bad it was and I didn't get on with it at all. The story is another thing, XIII's story was mediocre at best compared to its predecessors, but XIII-2's was sloppy and half the time Lightning Returns's didn't even make any sense. It was such a flop of a game that if there any more FF games on the horizon like it I couldn't care less if the series suddenly died out overnight.
    Last edited by Grimoire; 6th Mar 2014 at 14:48.

Originally Posted by ValhallaChaos
    ok I didn't read your post because I saw you wrote spoilers.

From what I've seen of the ending and the _______, from what I gather from people who've completed the game it's kind of like mass effect 3 ending - you either like it or you don't (granted I haven't played the ME trilogy yet, though its on my gaming backlog). IMO from all the gifs and such I've seen on tumbler since last year, SE should've gone with a bittersweet ending not a ________ one.
    Sorry. I didn't realize you hadn't beaten the game. I had just beaten it and just needed to vent a little. Should have read your rules. When you do beat it, Valhalla, please remember my post and let me know your thoughts on it. I'd love to hear. Anyway, don't be down-hearted. I didn't beat it on the first playthrough. You should get it on your second playthrough. Anyway, good luck, and good hunting.
    Veiron
    I know I'm just a puppet... but once upon a time... YOU WERE TOO!!!
    signature image

^ are you referring to my comment or the OP's about side quests? Or both?

IMO the side quests (not including canvas of prayers since I haven't done many of them) aren't related to the main plot and its characters. In a nutshell: sure lightning's the savior and has to save other people's souls as well. But to me, they're uninteresting and boring. And extremely time-consuming. Then again I hardly pay attention to the dialogue during cutscenes. Most likely I feel this way because I'm having arty time progressing through the main story.
    Well, to whoever I guess lol. The side quest still are a part of the main story, they may not be directly connected to the boss fight of x location, but part of the main story none the less. The main story is, the world is ending, and God wants souls for the new world. The "main quest" are the souls that are the most lost, in the deepest of darkness. That's why they're considered the main quest. So while they bear the name 'side quest', they're still connected to the main story which Iis gathering souls for the new world. But He absolutely needs those particular souls (Noel, etc.) to extend time I guess, lol. Since those hold a lot of value apparently.

Wether they're fun is up to the player though. I personally thought they were fine. Some were funny, quirky, serious, some had feels to em. But I guess if you're not paying attention to the dialogue of em, were on your phone or left when the people were talking, you wouldn't catch any of that, hahah. But they have meaning to the individual. Like the guy who asked Lightning to go out on a date with him. Or the drunk dude in The Warren.. Only one I remember that was.. I don't wanna say pointless, but the individual wasn't going through or trying to achieve something was the kid in Yusnaan who needed the music notes to play Serah's song.

Canvae Prayers, they're pretty much just to help level you up. And pretty much all of em (least the ones I've done) get completed just by exploring and fighting monsters. But even still, they have some good reads. After you deliver the item/items, in your 'Canvas Prayer' section in the menu, they tell you the results of what they did with the stuff you brought em.. Like one lady wanted a Cactar Doll for her kid cause she promised him one. Then after you deliver it, you find out her kid is/has been dead for years, and she just wanted to put it on his grave for his birthday like she does with a gift every year cause it reminds her of his smile when he got a present. Some feels in there, ya know? Well it was for me, hahah. Others might just need material for a paint brush. But in my opinion, they're there because while we don't exactly level up/get exp from beating certain monsters, we can level up by beating monsters and bringing their organic parts to the Canvas for people that need/want em.

And yea if you're/one is having trouble advancing, that can hinder your sight on the game. It takes a certain kind of person to push through the difficulty of something. Not like the game being cheap, but cause they don't really grasp how to use the battle system. Like in Ninja Gaiden Black (and Ninja Gaiden 2 for Xbox) game is/was mad hard for most everyone. Took me a week just to beat the first level. But it's renowned as one of the greatest action/adventure games made in this generation. But think how many weren't good at it out the gate and just claim that "it sucks, I can't win". Point is, losing constantly can be mentally draining and sometimes a break is needed. And two options are to push on and learn, or say "this is stupid" and quit.

Ima go into other stuff since I'm here. Not to you personally Valhalla. But just stuff.

The battle system. It seems people are having trouble with it and don't like the game casue of it. First, they claimed XIII n XIII-2 was just push A and win. Auto battle brainless gameplay. Now it has an intricate battle system where timing of button pushes greatly helps, picking the right abilities amd garbs for the area you're in is important, and even things like guarding can be important. And it still sucks... So confused. If one knows how to battle in this, I can easily respect the opinion. But if one is just button mashing, getting mad cause they can't stagger things, and fighting monsters way out your league. Then no.. If you're playing like that, I can see why you (in general) don't like it. It must take em forever to stagger something. If even at all. Especially if you're in an area you shouldn't be in cause your character is still weak. Even getting Perfect Guards can be a huge help vs some enemies. It completely nullifies damage and can cause status alliments to them and make the stagger gauge go up very high. Like the Reaver/Behemoth in the Wildlands. When he does is attack out the sky, if I just hold block, bout 850-900 damage. Perfect Guard, 0 damage, hella stagger spike, and he gets Pain (and something else.. I think). It's high risk high reward. I only go for em vs certain enemies.. Like I said, I don't read much of the topics n post cause I'm not done with the game yet. But I'm guessing most of the people that don't like the battle system just aren't good at it. If you are, beat the game n all that amd still don't like it. I can respect that opinion. Not everyone likes cherry pie, hahah. But if you can't make n bake it right and complain about it being tterrible. Then.....

Woops. Forgot to add Serah to the main story, lol. Lightning is doing all this to be able to be with her again after all.

I finally failed the game, it was boring and I was trying to figure out ways to past the time so the timer would end. Plus is there a way to re-watch cutscenes? I accidentally skipped the first one, I want to re-watch the opening cinematic where lightning and snow fight.
    Couldn't you have just slept at an Inn to kill full days instantly? I'm so sorry if that works and you didn't think of it, lol. And only way I know of to re-watch the opening, is during the pre-title screen. But you can't hear em talk nor is there subtitles. Just music playing..

Originally Posted by Mordeth_Kai

this is weird. I posted this in a completely different thread that I made for my review of the game. Apparently someone deleted it and only moved this post to this thread.... Once more I find my lack of faith in square increasing....

Ok this is going to be a really lengthy post...you've been warned. Plus I'm trying to reply to people.

Originally Posted by Doom-Desire
    After playing this game for a solid 15 hours I can confirm you are asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is "What are the POSITIVES?". My answer of which would be "The Outfits were pretty cool".
    Seriously, this game was the worst. if I could go back in time and un-buy it I would do so in a heartbeat. I'd also *-slap my past self for even thinking this game might be decent, even if I had no reason to think otherwise.
    lol, I think you're right with the "what are the positives?" title. I really regretting paying full price for LRFFXIII (almost $100 for cloud DLC and flimsy steelbook case). *sigh* prior to its release I did read IGN's review and the reviewer did point out how the story was lacking and the issue with the side quests: I didn't know what to expect and I was really hyped for this game, I just brushed off his remarks.

Originally Posted by Doom-Desire
    I don't want the originals remade. In fact I think most people who actually own the originals would rather they remained unmade out of fear it would become corrupt and turned into another DLC magnet to bleed the consumers dry like every other game these days. I'd very much want them to keep moving forward with new games...I'd just like for them to not be blindfolded so they can friggin see where they're going. Lightning Returns was an obvious example of this; Final Fantasy XIII wasn't perfect, but if it had one thing going for it it was the Paradigm system, I think that was a great step forward, but then they go and wreck it with Lightning Returns's crappy battle system. words can't even describe how bad it was and I didn't get on with it at all. The story is another thing, XIII's story was mediocre at best compared to its predecessors, but XIII-2's was sloppy and half the time Lightning Returns's didn't even make any sense. It was such a flop of a game that if there any more FF games on the horizon like it I couldn't care less if the series suddenly died out overnight.
    were you the one who was saying the FFXIII trilogy is bad and all that jazz, is that why you edited your post? I read someone's comment a few days ago and I think it was you.

But to whoever it was, here's my (long) reply I wrote to a hater. Some parts may not make sense since i was replying directly to his/her comments (they've also since replied and I've responded according to their hate speech). So to the FFXIII non-fans/haters (and I suppose trolls as well) I say this:

Ok I'll try and make this reply short and to the point without going off on a tangent. Hopefully you'll read this entire post. Here are my thoughts about the FFXIII saga and a bit on FFXV:

Firstly, I think you either misinterpreted my comment about FFXV being the saving grace. Or you just ignored it. To clarify: there's going to be just a much hate for FFXV than what FFXIII has received. Why? One, it was originally called "XIII Versus". Two, it has the same lore (Etro, etc) as FFXIII. Three, it looks more of an action game than LRFFXIII and we all know how the haters say LRFFXIII isn't a true RPG/JRPG because its more action orientated now. Four, I still think FFXV looks more modern and SE is still trying to appeal to the new fans than the old fans with all the action and fighting in FFXV. Seriously, how can you complain about LRFFXIII being too 'action-y' and not a classic JRPG but heap praise on FFXV when it has more action and stuff going on than what LRFFXIII does? Bunch of hypocrites, really. Five, IMO if anything will being the 'saving grace' for SE, it'll be FFXVI. And you're kidding yourself if you think FFXV won't have any sequels.

Secondly, believe it or not, I can sympathize (and I guess also empathize) with both the FFXIII fans AND the non-fans of FFXIII/'haters' (I have no respect for trolls or people who jump on the hate bandwagon because it's cool and everyone else seems to hate on FFXIII). I can most definitely see the flaws of each FFXIII game, I know that they never planned on making the two sequels.

I''ll be one of the first to tell you every flaw LRFFXIII has (my opinion of course). I can give reasons why they are flaws in my mind, however in saying that I can give examples of good things about LRFFXIII too. E.g. Bad: timer, good: new battle system.

Like I said, I've never played the first two FFXIII games but I watched them on youtube (the cutscenes, didn't watch any of the battles except the important ones). I'm a casual gamer but I play games for the story/characters/plot, etc. IMO, gameplay is second. You can have the best gameplay in the world but if the story is lacking/unappealing, I won't have the slightest interest in it (e.g. I played assassin's creed 3, besides having HUGE game breaking bugs and glitches, the story was boring and the pacing of the plot was just way too long. Stopped playing AC3 and haven't touched AC4 and won't touch AC5).

IMO, the story of FFXIII was way too long, besides pacing, IMO the direction of the game changed, it went from saving Serah to reaching grand pulse to fight the fal'ice(? However you spell it). When I was watching it I thought 'this story is badly executed and the pacing is terrible. Surely FFXIII-2 can't be worse than this, right?' WRONG! Absolutely wrong. IMO, the story in FFXIII-2 was a lot worse: really horribly executed and that plot...the time travel and paradoxes. ***!? And they really messed up the ending of FFXIII. 'Oh you remember how two characters sacrificed themselves...? Well, nope! It was actually Etro's doing.....' Blah blah blah.

The new real-time battle system is fun in LRFFXIII. Don't knock it until you've tried it, it really is fun. If you haven't tried it, why complain? It's like the 'old school' fans wanting a FFVII remake. Why? You've got the game. Is it because you want voice acting and pretty graphics like what the FFXIII saga has? You really can't deny the CGI cutscenes in the FFXIII trilogy are beautiful. The music is great as well - despite SE reusing a lot of the old material and blending "Blinded by Light" into a few songs (e.g. crimson blitz).

I can go on and on. But I figure this is lengthy enough. Don't know if you'll listen to my reasoning though. But I can see the flaws in the three games but at least SE tried to fix the issues and add something new in each game. Should they have made FFXIII-2? IMO, no. The ending in FFXIII was fine. But I do like some elements of LRFFXIII, just not enough to say its a good game or recommend it to anyone unless they're a FFXIII fan. Also I'm a little bitter because I failed my first playthrough of LRFFXIII on normal mode and I've put over 40+ hours into that game but I still failed. And I've been playing since launch. :/

^ just quickly adding to that reply of mine above; I also strongly believe SE indirectly is condoning (in a way by aging Hope) statutory rape. Hear me out: there are quite a lot of people shipping (aka pairing) lightning with Hope. IMO that's statutory rape, at least in my books. To them, lightning is in a sexual relationship with him: a 21 year old woman is dating and having sex with a 14 year old minor (Hope). Not only that they aged Hope to 26 or 27 (whatever it was) in FFXIII-2, which IMO, is somewhat inadvertently condoning it. Notch intention to sound pompous but to me, an older Hope having sex (because that's really what these fans are doing: writing fanfics and creating fanart) with lightning is still horrid: because usually it's a 14yr old Hope with a 21yr old lightning or an older Hope (like 27 from FFXIII-2) with a 21 yr old lightning. Do you see my point? Hope at whatever age, lightning is still (usually) 21. And those fics where lightning is 25 and its Hope's birthday and he's turning 18; she gives him .the biggest and best surprise and gift of his life". Just no. And sorry if I just scarred you with the crude image of Hope and lightning together. Hey if I have to be scarred, you have to be too, lol.

Originally Posted by Veiron
    Sorry. I didn't realize you hadn't beaten the game. I had just beaten it and just needed to vent a little. Should have read your rules. When you do beat it, Valhalla, please remember my post and let me know your thoughts on it. I'd love to hear. Anyway, don't be down-hearted. I didn't beat it on the first playthrough. You should get it on your second playthrough. Anyway, good luck, and good hunting.
    Veiron
    no it's ok. The title of this thread sort of implies spoilers. I'll definitely read your thoughts. I haven't even started my 2nd play through, I realllly can't be bothered. Was your second play through on normal or easy mode?

Originally Posted by PuertoRicanStyL
    Couldn't you have just slept at an Inn to kill full days instantly? I'm so sorry if that works and you didn't think of it, lol. And only way I know of to re-watch the opening, is during the pre-title screen. But you can't hear em talk nor is there subtitles. Just music playing..
    lol, you know what? I actually didn't realize that until I had like 45 mins left on the final day. Then I just went to some inn in yusnaan to 'sleep'. Haha, I wished I had thought of it sooner.

@Mordeth_Kai
    I don't want to quote you since your posts are also quite lengthy like mine and this post is reallllly long already. I personally think the side quests are boring and are more so act like a 'filler'. So there's more in-game content besides the main quests. I hate the timer, I think they could've implemented it a lot better. How exactly? I'm not quite sure, but if they made all the side quests available at once i would definitely like the game a lot more. And I think the side quests are really just "fetch" quests, like the IGN reviewer pointed out. 'Go here, collect that. Don't know where to get that item to complete the quests but who cares. This is our game'. Just my 2 cents. Also did someone really delete your thread and move your posts? What the...?

Also I'm doing my second play through on easy mode not normal. I want to beat Noel on day 1 but I know that's pretty much impossible since you have to follow the children of etro followers (which I didn't do in my first play through, oops. I just attacked them then remembered from screen caps prior to the game's release of lightning stalking them, being all assassins's creed-like).

Another negative is the severe lack of CGI cutscenes. Is it just me, or is it really like SE and the debs that made this game, they half-arsed LRFFXIII? Someone said that they rushed this game since it only took them about 1 year and 3 months (or 1 year and a half?) to make. I mean delaying it for another 6 months wouldn't have hurt the end product. The last of us and GTAV were both delayed and look how they turned out.

BTW I think I might (ever so slightly) be turning into a FFXIII trilogy non-fan, even hater :/

I think the lack of CGI was because we always get to see whatever garb, adornments, weapon and shield she's wearing/has equipped at the time of the cut scene.

Okay, when you put it that way, it makes sense. But I think, one more cinematic cutscene wouldn't have hurt the end product. All the CGI stuff SE makes is really pretty - and I'm a total sucker for beautiful CGI cutscenes. Oh well...

If anyone wants to take a stab (figuratively) at the person I was arguing with (who I've now deemed a troll), be my guest. The 'discussion' is on the "End of a saga: LRFFXIII" article from about a month ago on the NA SE website (I can't be bothered linking it, I'm not going to argue with them anymore). According to them, I'm a hypocrite because I dislike LRFFXIII whilst liking some aspects of it and because I can see the strengths and weaknesses in all the FFXIII games. Oh and I can't defend LRFFXIII because its my first RPG/JRPG and FF game since I don't know what a "true RPG and JRPG is", blah blah blah. The nerve of some of these FF fans and their outlandish remarks *facepalm*

Going to commence my 2nd playthrough tomorrow: just gotta figure out how many side quests I must complete before I am strong enough to try and battle snow (since I'm going to fight him first). How's everyone's 2nd playthrough going?

I have to admit playing LRFFXIII on easy mode is more 'enjoyable' than playing on normal mode (as a first playthrough). A lot less hectic. I suggest everyone plays on easy mode. Of course there are some people who will do fine on normal on their first playthrough. Good fun

were you the one who was saying the FFXIII trilogy is bad and all that jazz, is that why you edited your post? I read someone's comment a few days ago and I think it was you.
    Nope, not me, bro. In fact I edited my post specifically to compliment the paradigm system used in FFXIII and XIII-2 so you must be thinking of someone else. Don't get me wrong, they were both hugely disappointing for Final Fantasy games especially with regards to the story, but the unique leveling system and the Paradigms were more than enough to at least make them playable for me. I'm only a hater of Lightning Returns. I guess it's all about personal preference, but I can't for the life of me understand how you found that battle system anything but a giant pain in the neck; It felt like it was half-assing both a hack and slash and a turn-based system and failed in both. Guarding was more often than not useless, and Lightnings quick-as-a-sloth movement ensured that you would be hit with each and every attack. The game made too much of a big deal about 'precision' guarding and attacking if you wanted to avoid damage completely and I think that was the biggest let down of all. Yup I'll admit it, I was awful, I couldn't precision guard for my life, but that only goes to show how much of a bad system it was if after nearly 20 hours in I was getting raped by enemies, which in any other game would be licking the stink off the bottom of my boot I'd fought them so long ago. [Edit] An enjoyment I at least got from XIII and XIII-2, games where it actually felt like I was progressing fighting enemies, not just obtaining enough EP to be able to bloody heal.

Welp, if you've read my last paragraph in my last post, you may have known I'd be coming, lol XD

I'll use the pie analogy again for the battle system. Not everyone likes cherry pie, but if you're not using the right ingredients and baking it right and complain that cherry pie is nasty, then it's fair to think you may be the reason it's not coming out good. I mean that in the most sincere way since you can't hear tones of voices on a post, hahah.

After reading, just a few things to say. Perfect Timing guarding is very high risk and high reward simply cause if you do it too late and not guard, you take a good chunk of damage (as you may have noticed). But on the flip side, if you get it while blocking a physical attack, it makes the stagger gauge go up pretty high (if not instant stagger), plus can add status aliments to em. There's only a small handful of enemies you should attempt this on. In my experience so far anyways. Just simply holding block and waiting is the way to go. If/when you get Mediguard, equipping that can help if you don't wanna spend Gil on potions/are far away from shops n restaurants.

If enemies are too hard. Chances are, you're in a location you shouldn't be because you're not strong enough. Since you're not breezing through em like you think you should be. Though there are a few exceptions where some monsters will be hard regardless.

Another thing to keep in mind is where you are and what kind of monsters roam in that area and adjust your abilities and/or garbs accordingly. They mostly all have weaknesses and deliver certain kind of magic attacks. If they're weak to Ice and you have a Froststrike ability, equip that instead of a normal attack. If mostly wind attacks are coming at you and you have a shield that specializes in blocking wind, equip that to something (If you need to, sometimes you can be fine without doing that unless the magic attack is really strong).

Yea Lightning isn't super fast walkin on the battle field. But abilities like Evade, and Fatal Sweep (I think it is, have to check later) can help you hop/dash in any direction you want. There may be times where you need that equipped if certain monsters are roaming the area, or for certain battles. Also, casting a magic spell makes you hop backwards a lil. Also, when fighting the dragons (Zaltys and whatever that one in Luxerions graveyard is. Zumok or somethin). If you REALLY wanted to, you can just circle to their left and they'll just keep trying to hit you with 'Tail Whip' and you can attack right away to get some ok chunk of damage. Even after you cut off their tail. But that takes a long time to kill em that way. Tip on fighting Zumok is to have 'Bravery Theif' equipped somewhere so you can steal his Haste. It'll last the whole battle too after you take it.

I'm sure you know that Perfect Attacks raise the stagger meter faster too, among other things. The magic one was tricky for me. I figured out after a while, you're supposed to cast another spell just as she throws one out, or right when it leaves her hand. Not when it hits em. Timing will depend on your TV's lag too.

It sounds like you're not familiar with action/adventure games that's not a button mashing fest. Practice fighting in Luxerion. There's certain spots where monsters appear frequently. Stay away from the graveyard tough unless you're ready for that. Saying the battle system is too hard for you is fair. If you knew how to fight with it and din't like it is fair. Saying it sucks/is bad cause you're not good at it, not so much. I think with some practice and getting the hang of it would help ya like it. Or maybe you'll not like it till the grave, lol XD.

Just to say, I'm not trying to come off rude in any parts. Just speaking my opinion and trying to help ya understand it better.

Welp, if you've read my last paragraph in my last post, you may have known I'd be coming, lol XD

I'll use the pie analogy again for the battle system. Not everyone likes cherry pie, but if you're not using the right ingredients and baking it right and complain that cherry pie is nasty, then it's fair to think you may be the reason it's not coming out good. I mean that in the most sincere way since you can't hear tones of voices on a post, hahah.
    Please, I can take out anything you want to dish about me regarding this game. If you genuinely want to see me mad tell me Final Fantasy IX was . xD

After reading, just a few things to say. Perfect Timing guarding is very high risk and high reward simply cause if you do it too late and not guard, you take a good chunk of damage (as you may have noticed). But on the flip side, if you get it while blocking a physical attack, it makes the stagger gauge go up pretty high (if not instant stagger), plus can add status aliments to em. There's only a small handful of enemies you should attempt this on. In my experience so far anyways. Just simply holding block and waiting is the way to go. If/when you get Mediguard, equipping that can help if you don't wanna spend Gil on potions/are far away from shops n restaurants.
    I wouldn't say completely hate the idea of Perfect guard, after all that's what makes really turns the tides in some games. However in most game I don't have to deal with an ATB gauge and multiple forms. Still I get that wouldn't have made a difference to most people, but the fact is in most games I'm a dodger, I've never been well known for my precision blocking skills and it felt like this game was specifically punishing me for my ineptitude. Same problem with Perfect Attacking, it's just too finicky to pull off.

If enemies are too hard. Chances are, you're in a location you shouldn't be because you're not strong enough. Since you're not breezing through em like you think you should be. Though there are a few exceptions where some monsters will be hard regardless.
    Are there any easier places than Luxerion? Ok, give credit where it's due, I'm not THAT bad, but that's only because the enemies are easily killed in 3 slashes from a Buster Sword. Any fight which wants to go on longer instantly becomes a problem: I can't precision guard so I always take damage > End up using all my EP just to heal > Have to fight again to get up enough EP to teleport > End up wasting it on more Curaga's > Give up and decide to walk everywhere > Succumb to boredom and decide to go watch porn. its an endless cycle with this game...And no sorry, I will not switch to easy. That's not how I roll.

Yea Lightning isn't super fast walkin on the battle field. But abilities like Evade, and Fatal Sweep (I think it is, have to check later) can help you hop/dash in any direction you want. There may be times where you need that equipped if certain monsters are roaming the area, or for certain battles. Also, casting a magic spell makes you hop backwards a lil. Also, when fighting the dragons (Zaltys and whatever that one in Luxerions graveyard is. Zumok or somethin). If you REALLY wanted to, you can just circle to their left and they'll just keep trying to hit you with 'Tail Whip' and you can attack right away to get some ok chunk of damage. Even after you cut off their tail. But that takes a long time to kill em that way. Tip on fighting Zumok is to have 'Bravery Theif' equipped somewhere so you can steal his Haste. It'll last the whole battle too after you take it.
    To be fair I don't have either of those abilities, but if they use ATB chances are they'll end up being more of a hindrance than a help. Last place I left off was at the Kaius fight (Don't ask how I made it past all the fans, it was a matter off precision saving and a lot of running and jumping) and despite finally getting all the -aga spells fights don't seem to be getting any easier. Also I really think they messed up staggering, I find it near impossible to stagger normal enemies, much less Kaius.

It sounds like you're not familiar with action/adventure games that's not a button mashing fest. Practice fighting in Luxerion. There's certain spots where monsters appear frequently. Stay away from the graveyard tough unless you're ready for that. Saying the battle system is too hard for you is fair. If you knew how to fight with it and din't like it is fair. Saying it sucks/is bad cause you're not good at it, not so much. I think with some practice and getting the hang of it would help ya like it. Or maybe you'll not like it till the grave, lol XD.

Just to say, I'm not trying to come off rude in any parts. Just speaking my opinion and trying to help ya understand it better.
    Heeeey. D= I resent that, I've played loads of action/adventure games that require more than just button mashing. On that note I've played plenty of games where precision guarding was my best friend (I literally could never have completed Kingdom Hearts without Guard). I just can't get used to how this game plays, I know that's always been down to me that one, but without any real incentive story-wise to continue or motivation in any other aspect, its inevitable this game might get traded it along with Knack to pay for Infamous Second Son. :/

lol. Well allow me to apologize for judgin your skill and video game background then. It just seemed so since you seem to be having a hard time doing perfect timing attacks with weapons and magic. Maybe the games battle system just isn't blending well with ya for now. Though the some different physical abilities require different timing.

The perfect guarding thing isn't that important to where you should be using it all the time, in my opinion. Just against attacks that do 500 and up damage when you block them normally. Like I said earlier, it's a very high risk, high reward move. So unless you're really good at reading attacks from each monster, it's better to just hold down guard and wait when you see something coming. Or use 'evade' if it's too hard to time the block. Or maybe a shield or accessory that can help absorb the attack better. If you're constantly going for perfect guards and getting hit instead, then I can see where some frustration lies since you'd be constantly taking big chunks of damage and having to cure yourself constantly.

Wow. You made it all the way to the boss in the Wildlands? That's pretty amazing, lol. Did you win, or is the fight really hard? I'm only assuming you didn't since you had to skip/run past the battles on the way up there. That boss seemed to be the weakest/had the least amount of HP, though he attacked wayyy more than any other one and dealt crazy damage. But I was pretty strong when I chose to go to that location. That was the last one I went to.

I'm not sure how many Side Quest and Canvas Prayers you've done. But you can have all the -aga spells you want, and if your magic stats isn't high, it won't matter much. Though I think you can have an ok magic stat without doing much of em. Can't say though. I haven't played around with it much. But in my experience, I have an easier time staggering foes with -ara spells. Even though the stagger rating for -aga spells is an A. But like I said, I haven't played around with it much yet.

Completing Canvas Prayers is a good way to raise your stats. Pretty much all of em are done by simply exploring and fighting monsters like you normally do just by playing. So you don't really have to go out of your way to complete em. So if you're not already, stop by the Prayer board thing every few hours (real time, not doomsday clock time) or so, to help boost your stats. Doing Side Quest wouldn't hurt neither to help raise your stats.

From my experience, Luxerion has the easiest monsters to fight. Except for the graveyard. Some formidable foes up in there. But some tactics and certain abilities like the EP ability Decoy, and the auto-ability Brave Thief can make those fights a whole lot easier. It's just a good place to practice your PT attacks without much worry of dying. Yea that Buster Sword can definitely make things go easier. Especially when you stagger something and hit it with it's Slayer ability. For the practice, try swapping out the Cloud set up for another garb and weapon that isn't so strong. That's what I did. I felt I was killing things way to fast and wasn't learning much because of that. I figured, best to learn at the beginning so I can be ready later on when things aren't so simple.

There's 2 places in Luxerion that's good for practice. One is that really long strip that's near the Cathedral (all the way on the right side). On both ends, there's a little gate with a guard standing there. In between those gates, those dog lookin creatures seem to appear the most often in there. In the Warren is really good too, probably better since that machine that flies around takes a while to kill, is really hard to stagger (for me anyways), and doesn't deal much damage at all. If you block. So you can land lots of blows against it/have lots of chances to try PT attacks.

Staggering things isn't too hard once you figure out (or buy) what it is that staggers them and what element they're weak against. Most of the time it's just hitting em when they're winding up for an attack, sometimes it's landing a Perfect Guard, and in the dragons case, hitting him in the head. I get most all of my staggers from hitting things with magic attacks. Then I go in with the physical attacks. Lately, I've been using Deprotect right after, or just before I stagger em. I use the -ara spells cause I can throw out 4 at a time vs 1 -aga spell. And getting PT with em helps a LOT with the stagger meter. The magic ones, you'll want to cast another spell right when she throws the previous one out to get PT.
    Last edited by PuertoRicanStyL; 14th Mar 2014 at 17:20.

And just to add. I'm no Perfect Timing champion or anything, lol. I only get em about 50% of the time. 70% if I'm lucky. But with the magic attacks, I get those 90% of the time. Just cause with the physical attacks, the rhythm can change depending on when the first strike landed. And the first strike is pretty much always different cause you're at certain distances each time you start your assault. I personally do half visual and half rhythm when doin em. And most of the time, only on the enemies that don't attack very often is when I use physical attacks to help with staggering.

Is anyone else experiencing bugs/glitches on LRFFXIII PS3 version?

I've had a handful of glitches, only recently in my 2nd playthrough which is really weird. No glitches in my first playthrough.
    Some glitches include but not limited to:
    * 'Double' NPCs or enemies. E.g. I fought a earth eater in dead dunes, did army of one and during the animation, there were two earth eaters but one was black and froze whilst the other was normal.
    * screen tearing
    * don't know what it's called, but lightning dropped through the bottom of the map (dead dunes) and the map and surroundings (e..g sand, dunes, train station, etc) were above. There was blackness in the middle of the screen, looked like she was falling.
    * monster glitch in the wildlands: I spent at least 1hr (real world time) fighting the same enemy again (monetoken[?] the blue machine thing) and again and again and again and again...they literally they kept spawning. There were no miniflans, reavers, skeleton things with aero and whatever else monster that dwells in the wildlands.
    * chaos-infused monsters didn't drop any soul seeds! In wildlands. I fought like 5 chaos-infused monethoken(?), whatever they're called, since they were the only ones that kept on spawning. Didn't drop one soul seed.

I will reply to some people later when I'm on. These glitches and bugs are frustrating; as of the time limit and Hope-never-shutting-up wasn't enough. There's one or two more glitches I've had happened but can't remember them now.

DUMBEST AND WORST SIDE QUESTS EVER. INFURIATING BEYOND BELIEF TOO!!

Whats even more horrible is SE are forcing you to complete them to 'level up' so youre strong enough to win the boss fights. I freaken spent agggeeessssss (real world time) trying to find the stupid data centre airship debris: the one hidden/blended into the trees. I passed it so many times! I used an online walkthrough to minimize the time since I knew I'd run out of EP (which I did), then enemies kept spawning and attacking every 10 seconds. In the end (after like 45mins or most likely a lot longer) I gave up and searched for a video walkthrough on youtube *heavy sigh*

And where the heck is the crux that you need to open the final(?) door that's heavily guided, in the dead dunes?? I cant find it, or ANY pilgrims' crux's(?) to open all the doors. This game....UGGGHHHHHHH!!!! It has worse side quests than assassin's creed 3 - and I never finished that game, never touched the CE DLC too. And my ps3 copy of LRFFXIII has glitches, the frame rate is terrible, it's dropping and I can notice it; a lot. There's lag as well, where there wasn't any lag (everywhere). I'm so over this game and yes I know I kept complaining about it, but IMO it's horrible.

lol. Well allow me to apologize for judgin your skill and video game background then. It just seemed so since you seem to be having a hard time doing perfect timing attacks with weapons and magic. Maybe the games battle system just isn't blending well with ya for now. Though the some different physical abilities require different timing.
    It's cool, bra.

Wow. You made it all the way to the boss in the Wildlands? That's pretty amazing, lol. Did you win, or is the fight really hard? I'm only assuming you didn't since you had to skip/run past the battles on the way up there. That boss seemed to be the weakest/had the least amount of HP, though he attacked wayyy more than any other one and dealt crazy damage. But I was pretty strong when I chose to go to that location. That was the last one I went to.
    Like I said, it involved a lot of running and jumping flans. And yea...I got my arse handed to me...A lot. So far the only boss I've actually got a single star on was the first boss, every subsequent boss I barely beat. Needless to say the WIldlands boss is a douche and I couldn't beta him. We are not best friends.

I'm not sure how many Side Quest and Canvas Prayers you've done. But you can have all the -aga spells you want, and if your magic stats isn't high, it won't matter much. Though I think you can have an ok magic stat without doing much of em. Can't say though. I haven't played around with it much. But in my experience, I have an easier time staggering foes with -ara spells. Even though the stagger rating for -aga spells is an A. But like I said, I haven't played around with it much yet.

Completing Canvas Prayers is a good way to raise your stats. Pretty much all of em are done by simply exploring and fighting monsters like you normally do just by playing. So you don't really have to go out of your way to complete em. So if you're not already, stop by the Prayer board thing every few hours (real time, not doomsday clock time) or so, to help boost your stats. Doing Side Quest wouldn't hurt neither to help raise your stats.
    I'll be honest. Not nearly enough. The side quests in this game are just the worst. I'm the kind of guy who'll max out the entire Pirate Ship in ACIV before I've even made it to sequence 3, but LR is seriously trying my patience with some of these side quests. I don't always like to be led around like a lost sheep, I do like to explore, but in a time constrained game with not really that interesting environments I'd have appreciated a little more of a helping hand. That said I've still done quite a few and have bought every garb and adornment possible so far, so I'm assuming the issue isn't so much me having the abilities than it is applying them in the right way.

From my experience, Luxerion has the easiest monsters to fight. Except for the graveyard. Some formidable foes up in there. But some tactics and certain abilities like the EP ability Decoy, and the auto-ability Brave Thief can make those fights a whole lot easier. It's just a good place to practice your PT attacks without much worry of dying. Yea that Buster Sword can definitely make things go easier. Especially when you stagger something and hit it with it's Slayer ability. For the practice, try swapping out the Cloud set up for another garb and weapon that isn't so strong. That's what I did. I felt I was killing things way to fast and wasn't learning much because of that. I figured, best to learn at the beginning so I can be ready later on when things aren't so simple.

There's 2 places in Luxerion that's good for practice. One is that really long strip that's near the Cathedral (all the way on the right side). On both ends, there's a little gate with a guard standing there. In between those gates, those dog lookin creatures seem to appear the most often in there. In the Warren is really good too, probably better since that machine that flies around takes a while to kill, is really hard to stagger (for me anyways), and doesn't deal much damage at all. If you block. So you can land lots of blows against it/have lots of chances to try PT attacks.

Staggering things isn't too hard once you figure out (or buy) what it is that staggers them and what element they're weak against. Most of the time it's just hitting em when they're winding up for an attack, sometimes it's landing a Perfect Guard, and in the dragons case, hitting him in the head. I get most all of my staggers from hitting things with magic attacks. Then I go in with the physical attacks. Lately, I've been using Deprotect right after, or just before I stagger em. I use the -ara spells cause I can throw out 4 at a time vs 1 -aga spell. And getting PT with em helps a LOT with the stagger meter. The magic ones, you'll want to cast another spell right when she throws the previous one out to get PT.
    I'd like to have tried this and said "Yup, it worked, I'm now a staggering genius"...But yea, practicing against low level grunts doesn't seem to prepare me for some of the harder fights...And I'm still forced to Curaga after every other fight, creating an endless cycle of all pain no gain. Ugh...Why me?

Guys, focus on the negative parts of the game, and not the "negative" sides of the fanbase.

Page 3 of 6 First First 123456 Last