Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: What are the NEGATIVES about LRFFXIII?

What are the NEGATIVES about LRFFXIII?

Question What are the NEGATIVES about LRFFXIII?

What don't you like about LRFFXIII? There are good things (I.e the battle system and music, specifically crimson blitz), but I want to read about the NEGATIVE things you think are in this game and you could do without. Please no trolls who say things like 'the whole game', etc.

THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING ABOUT LRFFXIII IS: HOPE!

Of course that's my opinion, if you like him, good for you. You probably rejoiced when you discovered just how much he's in the game story-wise. Me? I reallllllly loathe and hate him. I severely disliked him in the previous games but LRFFXIII managed to make an annoyingly whiny little boy and made him that much more annoying. For the love of Etro. SHUT THE F*#K UP, HOPE!

I'll paste what wrote elsewhere on this site:

I'M SO OVER THIS GAME! (Warning: long rant ahead)

Firstly I admit LRFFXIII was my most anticipated game For 2014 (yes, I was foolishly more excited for LRFFXIII than the witcher 3, the order 1886 and other games). It's *reallly* bad enough that the ONLY way to level up is to complete the quests. They're actually forcing you to complete the side quests or else you can't progress story-wise. I'm a casual gamer and this is my first RPG and JRPG and first FF game. I really hate the time limit and that time imposed when you have to complete certain quests and have access to other areas.

I SWEAR, HOPE IS THE WORST THING ABOUT THIS GAME!!! He NEVER shuts the f*#k up! Ever. And constantly repeats the same stupid things that I already know/can discern from playing the game. I've been playing this every day since launch and I'm on day 6(it'll end in a few hours) I CANNOT beat Noel. I wasted so many potions and Phoenix down's but NOPE! The game: 'haha, you haven't completed enough quests to level up enough. You suck, keep losing well just add another hour to the clock. And after leaving the battle field have Hope annoyingly tell you every single time that one hour has passed in the game world. As an added bonus you cant progress in the story. YOU MUST FOREVER LISTEN TO THAT ANNOYINGLY WHINGY LITTLE BOY CALLED HOPE! Then when the time and world ends, you'll have to RE-PLAY EVERY SINGLE QUEST AGAIN! GO SUFFER! TROLLLOLLOL!'

I seriously don't want to play this anymore. And yes I already know I have terrible time management skills but the maps are HUGE! Especially the wildlands (haven't been to dead dunes yet), I literally (in-game) keep running around in circles trying to get from point A to point B. like I said, I'm a casual gamer and like to explore and take my own time in open world games.

At least let us level up through grinding! Like pat FF games. I mean get XP through grinding and defeating specific difficult monsters (e.g zaltys). So hard, I'm playing on normal mode and refuse easy mode. Pfffftt!! I never play easy mode. If anything lightning should be narrating the game (more than she sort of is now). Anything. Just make Hope shut up. And IMO the story really suffers because of Hope and the fact that you have to complete the quests to gain XP.

Someone, seriously, please push Hope off the ark (harsh, I know. But LISTEN TO HOPE for more than 1hr). This is all my opinion of course, you can agree or disagree. And I'm going to laugh my butt off when Hope _______ (he doesn't die so don't worry. Since it's not a bittersweet ending, SQ are going to get more hate for the ending and the __________ from he haters).

Honestly? The worst thing about the game for me... IS HOPE as well. Granted, I believe that Hope was the most emotionally evolved character throughout the entire series of XIII, but... all of his incessant "Lightning, you should get back to the station and blahblahblah" and other crap he spouts throughout the entire game of Lightning Returns...over and over....

In all seriousness, though, you don't even really level up in this game. You do side quests and main quests to gain the Eradia so that you can cause Yggdrasil to bloom and give you more days (And in doing so, you gain statistic bonuses that will help you in the game). Also, when you complete the canvas of prayers quests, those do NOT give you Eradia, but they give you adornments and statistic bonuses that will help you along in your journey as well....

Also, if the 6th day ends, don't fret about it... the best thing about this game is if you do NOT complete it before the "end of the world," time just rewinds and sends you back to the beginning of Day 1....(YOU KEEP ALL OF YOUR ITEMS, GARBS, AND BONUS STATISTICS FROM PREVIOUS TIME THROUGH, JUST HAVE TO RE-DO THE STORY BITS AND GET THE QUEST ITEMS AGAIN) familiarize yourself with the maps a bit when you explore.... it really is a life saver. And, the best thing is, if you don't want to memorize where to go, or anything like that... you can set destination markers on your map that you can follow on the mini-map.... so that could help out as well.

The leveling system wouldn't have bothered me if there wasn't so little content. If they would have added just 3 or 4 more areas to the game with their own stuff it wouldn't be a hassle. As it is, they expect you to do the same quests repeatedly (have to do around 40 for the only optional dungeon (if you could call the same room over and over again a dungeon)) till you are beyond sick of them, and not having the ability to upgrade gear from the get-go makes absolutely no sense. By the time I beat the game I had done everything 2-3 times and was already sick of it and with no actual new content on hard to do, there was no point in bothering with the stuff that did unlock.

As far as time management goes, abuse the crap out of chrono stasis, in the wildlands at night behemoths show up and give 2 ep per kill, as long as you can kill them easily you can stop time almost indefinitely (until all the big stuff is extinct). In this manner you can have all the main quests done by the end of the 2nd day and almost every single side quest by the end of the 3rd, leaving you with nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs till the end of the game. It seems like there is a lot to do until you've done it all twice, then its painfully obvious how little there is.

Last thing I hated was not having a way to unlock abilities on garb. 80 different garbs might be a big selection, but its a slap in the face when you can't use the ones you like because 1 or 2 underpowered or useless skills make it unusable and force you to use ones you may not be fond of because of the abilities. I can deal with the different bonuses on the garb, but having different starting ATB makes no sense, especially when there are outfits that start at full and have no locked skills. The outfit system seems unbalanced and rushed, and most of them are the same outfit with 5-10 different versions, it would have been better to make only a few distinct ones and let us edit all the color options and give us pattern options (if feeling generous) and limit the garb choices to 20 or so. As it is there are probably less than 20 actual garbs if you eliminate the clones.

Lack of content and design flaws kills the game.

Lightning returns combat system is a hell of a lot of fun, which is why I'm left extremely frustrated by how little there is to do. On my first play through I used as little ep as possible trying to save it for when I needed it, and unaware of how the difficulty ramps up with each passing day I focused on side quests over main quests. I made it to day 11 and was unable to kill 2 of the 4 main quest bosses and hadn't found the 5th main quest (I won't get specific to save spoilers). All in all, it was fun and I was enjoying myself, I completed 2 main quests, 40 side quests. Second play through I had the main quests done by the end of the 2nd day, I had most of the side quests done by the 4th, and all but 3 side quests done by the 5th day (1 failed, one for the optional boss in the dessert, and last one standing), I was still having fun until I got to the final boss and was unable to beat the last part of it(couldn't finish the trials as aeroga could one shot me while guarding with my tank). I won't go into details to avoid spoilers, but lets just say the final part is a load of BS that's as linear as the 1st game, unless you do the correct build with the right gear and follow a very strict pattern, you can't win, I stale mated the thing for 30 minutes till I gave up. 3rd run through I had already done everything and while rushing through all the main and side quests it was painfully obvious how little there was to do in the game, and all the areas that seemed large and impressive suddenly seemed sparse. After beating the game and going into hard mode and seeing the upgrade system and confirming that you couldn't unlock abilities on garb, and realizing that there was almost nothing that I hadn't already done 2-3 times, I was left with a massive feeling of frustration. The combat system was still fun and egged me on, but the lack of content and doing the same few things over again repeatedly made me groan in anticipated boredom.

There are other games with a new game plus feature that I have re-played repeatedly because there was enough content to do that I never got everything in a single play through. Lightning returns repeated play through method only draws attention to how little there actually is in the game. When broken down, there are only 4 areas in the game, some of them are a descent size, but that's still a tiny amount of content. Would it have killed them to add 3 or more sections and give us a complete game? As it stands, I feel like all I did was play a demo. If we are going to be forced to do multiple runs, then there needs to be 3 times the amount of stuff to do than time would allow.

The garb system is a lot of fun, but it also makes little sense. 80 garbs, but most of them are the same garb with a different color scheme, and to make them feel different we are only allowed to edit some of the colors. On some garb this can be almost the entire outfit, while on others its only a few buttons and straps and regardless of colors selected there is no real change in appearance. Furthermore, locked abilities would be fine if there was a way to unlock them, but as it stands, they will all eventually become obsolete and make the best strategic choices a matter of selecting garbs with no skills or skills that can be worked with. When broken down, there are probably less than 20 actual garbs with 5-10 clones a piece, and only a handful that are actually unique. It would have been better to make a few distinct outfits and let us edit all the colors then waste time copying them and making miniscule adjustments.

Locking the ability to modify equipment until you have beaten the game makes no sense once you play with it. It would have gone a long ways to stretch out my game play when doing my first runs and would have enriched the experience, but by the time I actually got the system I already had most of the equipment and no desire to play the same content on another go, the mere thought makes me shudder in frustration.

The script writing was terrible, and it is most painfully obvious when beating the game and seeing all of the actual cg scenes and watching all the good and bad guys go though the most tired and overused cliches in childrens anime or shows like the power rangers, I wanted to claw my eyes out just watching it.

Lastly, a problem in every XIII game is the lack of volume controls, not nearly as bad in this one though. In XIII-2 it rendered the game almost unplayable when I couldn't hear what anyone said over the music. And when music tends to be constant and carries, and you live with other people you don't want to annoy or in a crowded apartment complex, being able to turn it down is very important. The lack of this option to force selling there music down our throats was extremely inconsiderate.

To sum up the game nicely, it was like having a hot date who is sexy and cool at first, until she gets hammered and starts making a fool of herself, then vomits all over you and has the audacity to expect you to thank her for it and beg for more.

I have been playing the FF series since FF2 and I've played the fringe games like crystal chronicles. Each iteration of the XIII series has left me very disappointed, and if the next FF game doesn't redeem this mess, I will abandon the series entirely. You can only rest on your laurels for so long.

Well, if you take a look at one of my other threads "a somewhat thought out DLC..." or something... maybe post a response on that thread.... maybe with enough people with the same thoughts would help motivate and inspire SQE to maybe possibly do something like what that DLC idea was...

In a nutshell.... GARB GENERATOR.... a store that allows you to unlock all abilities on the Garbs (and/or weapons, or weapons can be another DLC *shrug*) but, this includes the Auto-abilities like "Soul of XXX" as well as the abilities you can map onto your attack buttons.

Either way.... in regards to the outfit system seeming unbalanced and rushed.... the starting ATB really doesn't matter, in MY opinion, because, well... when you build the Schemas... they're always going to be different. Let's say you have the Full starting ATB Gauge garb Tomb Raider. It doesn't have any locked abilities, nor does it have any auto-abilities on it.... Who cares if it has 4 slots for attacking and full starting ATB.... if you can get a garb that has half ATB gauge, and a locked Heavy Guard Lvl 3 ability (Paladin)? Because the Paladin garb also includes Physical and Magical Defense +15% if I recall correctly.... So, you have 3 attacking abilities to choose from, but you are hardier against spells and physical attacks in that garb...

I guess I have sort of figured out in my mind about the whole ATB gauge thing. It's lessened on a lot of the garbs that has actual auto-abilities on them, if not ALL of them. But, the garbs that have less or no auto-abilities have full ATB gauge. Why? I THINK (keep in mind, this is just my opinion, I don't know if this is factual).... the reason why is because each auto-ability and/or locked ability on the piece of garb actually takes a percentage of the starting ATB, as "payment" to be on the garb itself.... sort of like how sometimes there's spells that constantly drain mana as you keep them active (on other video games) ....

the idea of auto abilities and locked abilities being the reason for different starting atb is a nice theory (and would make a lot of sense), but it doesn't hold up.

Providence:
    no bonus ATB
    starting atb 100%
    max hp +15%
    strength + 40
    1 locked skill - guard lvl 2

passion rouge
    no bonus atb
    starting atb 100%
    status ailment resistance + 33%
    atb recovery + 5 x2 (why not just plus 10?)
    locked skills: deprotect, deshell lvl 2

cyber jumpsuit
    no bonus atb
    starting atb 100%
    physical and magical resist +15%
    strength +80
    locked skill: dispel lvl 2

midnight mauve
    max atb +30
    starting atb 100%
    no auto abilities
    locked ability: fira lvl 3

now for garb that doesn't start at full atb

vigilance
    no max atb
    starting atb 30%
    strength and magic +200
    locked skill: ruinga lvl 3

soldier of peace
    50 max atb
    0% starting atb
    soul of the hunter
    artemis's arrows
    locked skill: shadowbind lvl 3

divergence (remember passion rouge)
    30 max atb
    starting atb 50%
    saboteur drain
    locked skills: debravga defaithga lvl 3

when going through the list I really can't see rhyme nor reason to the starting atb% beyond justifying the existence of a certain accessory.

Well, it was just a theory...never said it was perfect :P

On a side note... think about the POWER of those skills though.... Saboteur Drain alone, for instance... I would accept the 50% ATB for.... For the Schema SOLDIER OF PEACE... starting ATB of 0% is quite fair, especially with what both Artemis' Arrows and Shadowbind does....

In game mechanic terms, I firmly believe the different starting ATB gauges are set like that because of the different strengths of the different abilities, not just the number of abilities on them.... I think that if they didn't do the different ATB gauges.... the whole Schema system would be unbalanced.

I absolutely agree. It's pretty clear the square enix think their fans are morons who need to be reminded of the same crap constantly.

Originally Posted by Daesicus
    Honestly? The worst thing about the game for me... IS HOPE as well. Granted, I believe that Hope was the most emotionally evolved character throughout the entire series of XIII, but... all of his incessant "Lightning, you should get back to the station and blahblahblah" and other crap he spouts throughout the entire game of Lightning Returns...over and over....

In all seriousness, though, you don't even really level up in this game. You do side quests and main quests to gain the Eradia so that you can cause Yggdrasil to bloom and give you more days (And in doing so, you gain statistic bonuses that will help you in the game). Also, when you complete the canvas of prayers quests, those do NOT give you Eradia, but they give you adornments and statistic bonuses that will help you along in your journey as well....

Also, if the 6th day ends, don't fret about it... the best thing about this game is if you do NOT complete it before the "end of the world," time just rewinds and sends you back to the beginning of Day 1....(YOU KEEP ALL OF YOUR ITEMS, GARBS, AND BONUS STATISTICS FROM PREVIOUS TIME THROUGH, JUST HAVE TO RE-DO THE STORY BITS AND GET THE QUEST ITEMS AGAIN) familiarize yourself with the maps a bit when you explore.... it really is a life saver. And, the best thing is, if you don't want to memorize where to go, or anything like that... you can set destination markers on your map that you can follow on the mini-map.... so that could help out as well.
    Good to know I'm not the only one annoyed at Hope. He just talks too much.

Good that I get to keep all my items when it ends but IMO the side quests are so unappealing and pretty much unrelated to the main story/plot I'm considering giving up on this and not re-playing LRFFXIII on easy mode. A guy on my PSN list said even he's having trouble playing too - AND he's playing on easy and using the guidebook.

Thanks to those that posted tips about Noel. I'm gonna finally go redeem my cloud DLC now since Sony said I had to wait until today. Or else I would've downloaded it on launch. Apparently his buster sword OWNS everything. Also another NEGATIVE about LRFFXIII is the audio! Besides too much Hope dialogue whenever someone's talking and an enemy pops up the dialogue gets cut off or when you speak to a side quester giver, the whole dialogue just vanishes, never to be repeated again. Or the sirens from the flan cut into a cutscene (e.g. When I was in yusnaan talking to Morris ANSI didn't kill the flans, they spotted me and sirens blaring. Cutscene with Morris talking I couldn't hear him at all because of the flan's loud sirens. I though they'd mute their sirens during cutscenes at least? Nope.)

The main problem with the game imo is the f'ing timer, it's like they took the idea from the legend of Zelda majora's mask, and said, "wait, why is it that he's able to keep his quest progress, even though he went back in time?", the answer, of course, is that it'd suck if you had to do everything all at once without being able to keep your quest progress, even if you were able to keep all your items, and that's basically what they did, they forced us to redo the side quests, and although that might have been okay if we could keep the eradia, they decided that you have to do, well, not everything all in one playthrough, but you can't go through the game several times, relaxing and going through at your own pace, and still unlock the extra day without doing enough side quests all in one playthrough. I think that, if they'd just let you keep your eradia the way you keep your items, I wouldn't get as stressed out about the time limit, and I could go through and find the quests and stuff without worrying about the fact that I'll lose all my quest progress as soon as the world ends. I mean, once you go into new game + once, you can go into a new, new game + whenever you want (there's no reason to keep the doom of the world ending too soon looming over your head, unless you want to watch any cutscenes related to that ending, in which case they should just unlock it in a theater mode once you activate new game +), so why not let you keep your eradia (or at least the eradia you get from the side quests, even if you have to play through the main quests again to really finish the game) and keep going?

^ I think if you fail your first play through on normal mode you should be able to keep everything! Besides keeping all the grabs and weapons, etc. you should be able to keep the eradia you've earned if not keep the side quests so you don't have to redo them again. For me the worse is Hope>time limit>not being able to level up through grinding only by quests (though as Daesicus mentioned above you don't actually level up at all)>not knowing what to do or where to go to collect the useless trinkets you need to complete side quests>HUGE maps>Hope again>time limit sucks>being forced to complete the side quests to 'level up'>if you die/flee in battle an hour gets added> did I mention that whiny little annoying boy named Hope who talks waaaay too much? Ha.

I just played LRFFXIII again and redeemed my cloud DLC. Omg, his DLC is awesome! Perhaps a bit of hyperbole but this makes me want to continue playing. Firstly I only preordered for his DLC (besides the steelbook), specifically for his fanfare. Never played a FF game before but I heard cloud's victory fanfare as a kid and I think it's the best FF victory fanfare out there. Secondly I think lightning for some haven't-figured-it-out-yet reason, she looks better in the 1st soldier uniform. Anyone agree? *shrugs* it just suits her better? (And it's not because of those strategically-placed buckles, lol. Plus I'm female so I'm not interested in the buckle placement, haha). Lastly there's the buster sword which is awesome. I played in the wildlands just killing monsters (though the flan take a little longer to kill using the buster sword and if you don't have any fire/lightning abilities equipped).

Speaking of the wildlands, here's a tip: DON'T FIGHT THE CHOCOBO EATER MONSTER THING (whatever it's called) WITHOUT ANY PITION OR PHEONIX DOWN'S. but I'm sure none of you are like me. I totally forgot I used up all my potions and PD's last time and didn't realize I had to buy more.

Starting at the ark at the start of the 7th day (last day for me now ) I wasn't really thinking, so I had Hope beam me to the small village in the west once I realized it was on the other side of the map to where I wanted to go so I wasted EP to teleport to the train station then look ages walking to find and fight the chocobo eater. I had cloud's outfit, Amazonian warrior(?) and midnight mauve. Then switched to red Mage, cloud's outfit and midnight mauve. No potion or PD's. obviously I died. A lot. I fought the chocobo eater monster thing 6 times in a row, all the same result: dying. Haha. But I always get it down to like 1/10th of its HP but it still manages to kill me. Mediguard was abused a lot, it was using it everything second time: I.e. heavy slash, Medicare, fira, mediguard, thundara(? However you spell it), mediaguard, etc. lol. And I used Arise in every one of those battles. Normal is really hard.

That's my rant. But cloud's 1st soldier uniform is pretty cool, especially his sword and using the heavy slash. BTW how do I get the Slayer attack to pop up more often when I'm using heavy slash in cloud's outfit?

Now, what would be AWESOME... would be if the Canvas of Prayers' completions awarded Eradia towards your Tree....

WHICH THEY DON'T! >.<

And, About the SLAYER attack; it only pops up when you stagger an opponent.

Its good to see some new players getting into the game.

To address all the concerns about not keeping side quest progress, this is because square had the ingenious idea that went something like this "if they do the same 5 quests 10 times, then the 5 quests become 50, and with infinite play through s 50 quests will seem like a million, so we can release a game thats barely more than a demo and no one will notice!". If you put all the areas in the game together, it would be almost as large and not as interesting as FF XII's starter areas, wouldn't even cover 1/4 of the content of that game in both size and content.

I never played easy, but you will not be able to beat the final boss on the first play through on normal. I don't even know if thats hypothetically possible, but its not realistic. You are expected to do a minimum of 2 play throughs if you do almost all of the side quests with each play through, because quests are the only source of stat points. The stat point that you will get more than any other is hp, and that will be the biggest factor on what you can and cant do based on weather or not you get 1 shot by an attack, and mediguard heals by % of max hp (not confirmed). If you could not redo the side quests you would find yourself completely screwed on the end game due to a lack of stat gain.

A lot of people complain about only being able to get stronger through quests (stat point gain) as opposed to an exp system like previous games, since you cant go out and grind levels if you get stuck. I personally think the idea is innovative, and would have worked if the game had 10 zones and not 4, if it had 500 quests instead of 70, if canvas of prayers had re-doable monster hunting quests. As it stands, things will seem like a massive amount of content until you have done it all 2 or 3 times, and I groaned when I realized they wanted me to stretch it all out further.

The only reason to get eradia from side quests is for an optional dungeon that you can only access if you make it to day 12. It needs approximately 40 side quests minimum to unlock, otherwise the side quests don't give you more days, just stat points.

A note on the DLC weapons and a tip for starting players. The DLC gear is strong at the beginning of the game but it all gets replaced quickly enough, a relatively easy to get weapon that won't cost you 300k gil will drop if you hunt behemoths to extermination, and since the game gets harder with each passing day, the first day is ideal to do it (obviously a thing to do on the second play through).

On the timer, I said it before, I will say it again, abuse chrono stasis. This won't be practical on your first playthrough but it is extremely unlikely that you will beat the game on the first run so take it easy and enjoy while you can. After your first attempt you should be able to take on most of the big stuff easily enough on you second playthrough and in the wildlands at night and in the dessert you can stop time indefinitely from the ep gains of fighting large monsters. Get the hang of that and you will have everything done well before the first week is over.

Lastly, difficulty ramps up with each day, so do the hardest stuff as early as possible (like hunting behemoths to extinction for the weapon I mentioned).
    Last edited by Mordeth_Kai; 21st Feb 2014 at 13:10.

The FLESH RENDER, (The weapon you Mordeth mentions by killing the behemoths to extinction) is a very GOOD weapon indeed. It gives the following stats:

+950 STR
    +950 MAG
    Auto-Regen (15 seconds)

ALSO: IF YOU TIME "PERFECT TIMING" ATTACKS, you can get a baby version of this weapon as a drop from the Behemoths, called the SHARD BLADE.... it has about half of the stats, but it also has the Auto-Regen (15 seconds)....

only problem: IT only has a 10% drop chance... IF YOU PERFECT TIME.... if you don't perfect time, you won't get any chance.

Heck, I'm still using it right now, this is my...well, it's sorta hard to explain... it's my 3rd time running through the game, but I haven't beaten it on Normal yet... I have 9 EP, 11 Item Recovery slots, my PHYSICAL DEFENSE CLASS has over 24k HP.....

As for sidequests, it breaks down as such for Eradia gain:
    ONE STAR DIFFICULTY = 0.02
    TWO STAR DIFFICULTY = 0.04
    THREE STAR DIFFICULTY = 0.08

You need to make a total of 1, to gain that extra day for the Ultimate Lair dungeon.... which is only accessible if you do all the MAIN QUESTS.... so, at the very worst, if you do ALL THREE STAR side quests only, you'd only have to do.... 20 total quests (10 THREE STAR and 10 ONE STAR DIFFICULTY).... however, most of the THREE STAR quests don't appear until you've done a number of ONE and TWO star quests... which kinda sucks.... but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by Mordeth_Kai
    final boss on the first play through on normal. I don't even know if thats hypothetically possible, but its not realistic. You are expected to do a minimum of 2 play throughs if you do almost all of the side quests with each play through, because quests are the only source of stat points.
    You're joking, right? I beat both Ereshkigal and the Final Boss on my first playthrough, and I beat the Final Boss on my first try. It's totally possible. I've got no idea what this nonsense of "playing through at least 2 times" is all about.

Has anyone used the the really basic guide SE put up on the LRFFXIII website? I glanced at it for like half a second (IMO the background makes some parts of the text difficult to read, should've stuck to the bland but effective all white background for the text. Oh well) and I saw it said 'you should complete luxurion in 3 days'. I'm like "pffftt! Some dumb guide can't tell me what to do! (sarcasm) it's the 7th day and the timer's about to end and I still haven't beaten Noel yet and you want me to do what now according to this guide?".

I'm trying to chrono farm in the wildlands (not working or helping). The canvas of prayers quests should give you eradia as mentioned above. NOPE! The side quests are so repetitive and uninteresting. TBH I skip all the cutscenes whenever I can, sometimes even when lightning's talking. That white chocobo is fun to ride and fight with though he's not at full health/strength yet.

Speaking of side quests and shoddy/lame dialogue: that gem (cat) quest. Lightning says 'she's gone (is gem a boy or girl cat? Can't remember), there's no way to bring her back' blah blah blah. The whole time I was thinking SERAH! You bloody hypocrite lightning. Serah's gone yet you're doing everything you can to try and get her back (yes I know the ending and how _______). Dumb dialogue, she says that the cats gone blah blah and not to worry, there are memories or whatever. But then throughout the entire game she's trying to get serah back. How ironic.

BTW how do kill a chaos-infected reaver (wild lands)? I've done it once before but now I've only got 2 potions and that stupid neaktar thing. I need the item it drops to complete the side quest.

The final boss is absolutely beatable on the first playthrough. It took me a few tries to figure out what works and what doesn't in regards to the various forms, but you can escape as much as you want in the final day.... there is no reason you shouldn't be able to win if you have made it to the final day.

Originally Posted by Malpardis
    You're joking, right? I beat both Ereshkigal and the Final Boss on my first playthrough, and I beat the Final Boss on my first try. It's totally possible. I've got no idea what this nonsense of "playing through at least 2 times" is all about.
    on what difficulty? Unless you got some really nice gear (spira summoner I heard would fit this bill, along with ultima gear but is not applicable as only amazon reserves can get spira summoner at this point), or stocked up on ethers and spammed overclock, I guarantee it wasn't on normal. I don't know that its impossible to beat the game on a single playthrough on nromal, but I never played easy, and I know I barely had high enough hp after 2 play throughs to not get 1 shot by some attacks while guarding (and there were attacks that would one shot me while guarding, but not from the final boss). Beating the final boss after 2 playthroughs on normal is more than the casual gamer can do. So you are either a troll or you played on easy.
    Last edited by Mordeth_Kai; 25th Feb 2014 at 08:04.

I FREAKEN ACCIDENTALLY SPOILED MYSELF WITH THE IDENTITY OF LUMINA!! F+#K! Tumblr has waaay too many spoilers (I already knew it has too many spoilers but arggghhhhh!!)

Rant: I was on a fellow snow/light shipper's blog and was looking at this gif set - I was staring at the 2nd gif as it said "I'M ________ FARRON" (obviously it had the actual name). I thought the set was from FFXIII-2 but it wasn't since it had lumina. I was thinking 'hang on, lumina's not in FFXIII-2, then why is sh- OHHHHH!! *! SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!!!!!!" Abort! abort! Aborrrrrrrttt!!! I unfortunately saw lumina's face morph into.....(unless I'm wrong? Most likely not, I saw it to know I'm right. I immediately closed the tab, damn it!).

To address all the concerns about not keeping side quest progress, this is because square had the ingenious idea that went something like this "if they do the same 5 quests 10 times, then the 5 quests become 50, and with infinite play through s 50 quests will seem like a million, so we can release a game thats barely more than a demo and no one will notice!". If you put all the areas in the game together, it would be almost as large and not as interesting as FF XII's starter areas, wouldn't even cover 1/4 of the content of that game in both size and content.

A lot of people complain about only being able to get stronger through quests (stat point gain) as opposed to an exp system like previous games, since you cant go out and grind levels if you get stuck. I personally think the idea is innovative, and would have worked if the game had 10 zones and not 4, if it had 500 quests instead of 70, if canvas of prayers had re-doable monster hunting quests. As it stands, things will seem like a massive amount of content until you have done it all 2 or 3 times, and I groaned when I realized they wanted me to stretch it all out further.

A note on the DLC weapons and a tip for starting players. The DLC gear is strong at the beginning of the game but it all gets replaced quickly enough, a relatively easy to get weapon that won't cost you 300k gil will drop if you hunt behemoths to extermination, and since the game gets harder with each passing day, the first day is ideal to do it (obviously a thing to do on the second play through).
    yeah that's what I think too. Repeat the side missions = replay ability to SE. To me, the breakdown of LRFFXIII is basically is: handful of main mission quests, quite a lot of unappealing and non-plot related side quests and a timer that will surely make anyone rush through the game on their first playthrough, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

IMO I think doing side quests to 'level up' is different, yes, but same with you, it would've been better if there were more regions and more interesting side quests. Or at least no timer! You can have a timer for the side quests (even thou it'd be annoying) but no timer for the main quests. I want to take in all the small details and explore, not worry about chrono farming so I can pause time for a few minutes.

Where can I find the behemoth? In the wildlands? Also I don't have the miqo'te garb though I collected all the fireworks from the chocobo girls. Why don't I have it? I heard it's good and has strong abilities.

Also I'm on my 7th day (it's about to end) but I just noticed I have gained 1 day so I'll have 8 days. Don't ask how I have one more day because I have no clue how it happened. I only have one bud on the tree. That's weird.

I completely agree. The side quests are SO unappealing and repetitive and pretty much completely non-plot related. It's why 'why even bother?' Besides a means to an end for you to be able to 'level up' lightning. The timer reallly sucks.

on what difficulty? Unless you got some really nice gear (spira summoner I heard would fit this bill, along with ultima gear but is not applicable as only amazon reserves can get spira summoner at this point), or stocked up on ethers and spammed overclock, I guarantee it wasn't on normal. I don't know that its impossible to beat the game on a single playthrough on nromal, but I never played easy, and I know I barely had high enough hp after 2 play throughs to not get 1 shot by some attacks while guarding (and there were attacks that would one shot me while guarding, but not from the final boss). Beating the final boss after 2 playthroughs on normal is more than the casual gamer can do. So you are either a troll or you played on easy.
    On normal difficulty, never touched easy. Only DLC gear I had was Cloud (which I didn't use for either fight) and Siegfried (same deal, didn't use for either fight). I also had 1 ether for Ereshkigal, none for Bhunivelze. I'm glad you're not a salesman, because your "guarantee" is flat out wrong. I'm neither a troll nor did I play on Easy.

It's doable to beat the final boss on the first playthrough on normal. Took me one try. Ereshkigal I can understand people not beating on their first run in Normal; it took me upwards of 10 tries or so before I got the hang of it. Once I downed him I decided to use most of that strategy for the Final Boss and managed to do it on try #1.

What you're saying about people needing to play through twice before tackling the final boss is nonsense. Ereshkigal or Aeronite I can see (though both are doable first play through; I haven't done Aeronite but there are videos of people who have).

In short: Just because YOU'VE never beaten the game on Normal on your first runthrough doesn't mean you should be telling people it's not possible. It's very possible; plenty of people have done it. Bhunivelze is just one big stagger check.
    Last edited by Malpardis; 25th Feb 2014 at 18:57.

QUICK QUESTIONS: 1. Where's that other free DLC we got (on ps3) for downloading the demo? There was two: seyfried(?) and something else. 2. How the heck do I connect to the otherworld? I've done it once before on launch but I couldn't take the screenshots (what button/s do you press?). Every time I play not connected to PSN I get the pop up message saying I'm not connected but the two times I played online I couldn't connect to the outworld? :/

I'll let you guys know what ends when the timer runs out and you couldn't even save Noel let alone everyone else, ha! I wish there was a mute option for Hope. He seriously talks too much. Who on earth thought that was a good idea? Here's an idea, have lightning do most of the narrative dialogue, since, you know, her name is in the title of the game.

I'm fine with Hope talking and reminding me of stuff. I like the info he gives and the conversations him and Lightning have.

The negative I have is that the clock keeps going when they have those conversations. I like to hear em, but sometimes it takes up about 30min. of your time. And if you keep moving, sometimes you'll spark a new scene or conversation before finishing the original one. I understand that the clock ticks because you're able to move. But they have lots of dialogue, and waiting for them all to finish can take up precious time.

Other than that, I think the game is fantastic! Been playing FF games since FFIII on the SNES.

^ But Hope repeats A LOT of things. E.g. When you're trying to find the codes for the gate to ambush the children of etro: you know the clock is ticking and that you need to find the rest of the numbers. Yet he keeps reminding you every 45 seconds or so. Then there's the battle, if you flee/die every single time he repeats the same darn thing "one hour has passed in the outside world...." Blah blah. Don't you think he talks a little too much? I agree some of those conversations are somewhat interesting (at least to me) but there's too much dialogue for him and I already severely disliked him in the previous two games and now playing LRFFXIII, it makes me realllllly hate and loathe him.

I've given up on this game.
    I've played this since launch and put 30+ hours into this game and (embarrassingly) I still haven't beaten Noel. *sigh* I have to say this is probably the second worst game I've ever played on a console (that I can remember. The first worst game for me is AC3, I had a truckload of game-breaking bugs and glitches so I never finished it. Anyway....). The timer is a HUGE problem for me. I'm now just in the wildlands trying to chrono farm and collect those trivial items to complete the side quests. My white chocobo has helped me a lot by throwing cure spells my way during battles lol.

HOW ON EARTH DO YOU DEFEAT VALIAS(?) AND THE HUNUAMAN(? However you spell it) THINGS? In rocky crag? They're the black monkey-looking things. I can kill the smaller monkeys but not the big one. Blizzard doesn't do anything for me and aero is good but not strong enough. My current garbs are soldier 1st class, midnight mauve and red mage (I kind of refuse to change to anything else).

How easy is easy mode? Someone told me that SE/LRFFXIII devs decided to up the ante and difficulty in this game. So effectively: easy mode = normal, normal mode = hard, hard/NG+ modes = 10x times harder or something. I'm on my 8th day (still on the ark) and I've somehow managed to gain a 9th day (2 buds on the tree). I actually dread re-playing this on easy mode because the story is lacking (since I haven't progressed at all), the constant timer, need to complete quests to 'level up', Hope talking too much, etc.

Anyone want to take a stab and play my playthrough? I'll give you a basket of virtual cookies if you can beat the entire game for me in 4 game days, lol. Safe to say this is definitely the first and last final fantasy game I ever buy.

Yeah....they sure half-assed the heck out of this game. I'm sure many Final Fantasy fans were hoping for a REAL Final Fantasy game that would contain, at the very least, a BIG open world, because...it's a Final Fantasy game, and with a $60 price tag. But for $60 the quality isn't there. I played the other two games and at least those looked nicer and weren't low on quality, and it took much longer to beat them. But Lightning Returns is a pixelated shiny/ugly mess with sloppily-thrown-together textures, missable dialogue, okay story, and generally unpolished game that I finished in 1/2 the time. I truly believed this would be the best FF game, but now I've learned not to get my hopes up about this company... Square Enix sure knows how to disappoint. I guess I'll be stuck dreaming of the old days of SquareSoft.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last