Page 2 of 8 First First 123456 ... Last

Thread: Weather in Thief4?

Weather in Thief4?

Well, there's always the chance that the maid could clean it up while you're upstairs lifting jewels from the lady's pantie drawer.
    FM Author: The Fever, Nostalgia, Ashes & Dust

Originally Posted by GmanPro
    Unless its magical somehow, then it would take a little while. But not that long. If its cold enough outside that water would freeze up pretty quickly, especially with a wind chill.
    True. I've seen spilled water freeze instantly on some of the cold winter days here.

Originally Posted by GmanPro
    Unless its magical somehow, then it would take a little while. But not that long. If its cold enough outside that water would freeze up pretty quickly, especially with a wind chill.
    Or, dare I say, ice arrows? Since I can't think up any pretty good uses for them I'm not really serious.

Originally Posted by Neb
    Or, dare I say, ice arrows? Since I can't think up any pretty good uses for them I'm not really serious.
    I think the biggest problem with that would be the storage of them. Does Garrett carry around a mini fridge?

Perhaps you can pull crystals from frozen areas (like a freezer) and get ice arrows for a limited amount of time before they become water arrows...but then, that really doesn't make much sense, does it?

I know there were ice arrows in T2X. At least from what I can remember. You could shoot ice arrows at water to make little ice platforms to jump on.
    (Am I just making stuff up here, or am I thinking of Zelda?)
    I swear I remember doing it in T2X...

Originally Posted by randomtaffer
    I know there were ice arrows in T2X. At least from what I can remember. You could shoot ice arrows at water to make little ice platforms to jump on.
    Wow, I really can't remember that.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that there isn't really any more useful equipment which can be added to a Thief game without seriously cluttering it up.

Snow?

Hmm...

That would increase your visibility (you'd get reflected light off the snow, plus it's white), whilst decreasing your sound and leaving footprints...

Weather would be a very nice addition to the game.

Random weather? Or will there be patterns?

- Clear and cold for a few days, then cloudy for the next, then foggy for the next, then rainy, then stormy.

- Clear and cool for a few days, then bright and warm for the next, then sunny with sudden summer showers.

Or, will there be seasons, which progress slowly through the Season Cycle throughout the whole game, or faster, maybe repeating the cycle two or three times until the end of the game.

DAY and NIGHT cycle <------- This is a must I think:

- We stick around in buildings, alleys and rooves on bright summer days, to avoid being seen. Then as usual, go anywhere at night.

- On darker days, foggy, winter, overcast, rain, we can go where he please, but the open streets are still rather risky. However, on these bad weather days, the City Watch can cease with patrols on some streets, preferring to stay in their outpost huts to keep warm and dry.
    Which makes some streets easily accessable for Garrett.
    Then, on bad weather nights, he can do as he pleases.
    Important message to the Dev Team: Garrett CAN swim. Burricks DO exist.

The weather can betray you to. If you run in a waterpuddle its going to splash. And just think how it will be when your standind in the shadows looking for the guards patrol routs. And then suddenly the shadows disapear for an instant when lightning strikes. A guard sees you, but the next second your hidden again. The guard might (1) think he just halucinated. (2) Think he saw something and start searching or (3) know he saw something and hunt you down.

Well with lore Garrett would probably not leave footprints in snow when sneaking across it, like sholin monks are not supposed to leave footprints in rice paper when walking across it.

That would really spook the guards in game, they're following footprints across a snowy lawn when suddenly they abrutly stop.
    Tuna, the chicken of the sea.

Different weather? Yes. Dynamic? No. A mission isnt taking place over a long period of time, and the weather would not realistically change that much. Very subtle changes in the levels of precipitation would be welcome, such as moments of heavy rain, or moments where it stops all together.

I do not like the idea of water arrows freezing. Anything that can be compared to the oil flasks in TDS is not a positive. How exactly is making a guard fall on his ass beneficial to a thief?

Originally Posted by Yaphy
    And then suddenly the shadows disapear for an instant when lightning strikes. A guard sees you, but the next second your hidden again. The guard might (1) think he just halucinated. (2) Think he saw something and start searching or (3) know he saw something and hunt you down.
    Yeah, that was an awesome feature in "Calendra's Legacy - A Meeting with Basso" It amped up the tension because the mission was "ghost only" and you never knew when the lightning was going to strike, making you visible.

Excitement! I would love to have a bunch of weather effects that affect gameplay. Great ideas in this thread. These kinds of things would add so much to the game.

rain and mist good combination

One thing that Ion Storm did right with T3 was that they left out rain. Yes RAIN. Oh my gawd, how horrible it would have looked if they'd even tried. If EM is going to make rain in T4, please, PLEASE make it look like rain.

This is what we still see in many games today, including STALKER, and Far Cry 2. A few raindrops on the foreground (The 5-10 metres in front of you) and some fog that makes the skyline of buildings or trees stick out of the dark sky as grey artifacts. When was the last time you've seen that happen in nature?

I have yet to come across a game that has made rain look good during the night. If someone has, tell me which game.

Left: How it should look like. Right: How it usually ends up looking like.

Sorry about the epic failness of MS Paint.

I agree with you there. For at least the first time through.

Perhaps being able to choose the weather to challenge the player's play style after the mission is completed could add new challenges and overall re-playability to the game though.

Missions X
    Difficulty: Expert
    Weather: Stormy - (would not be unlocked until the player has completed the mission on the original intended weather)

Might be a neat idea.
    Yes. Might also expand on that by having some of the missions happen at a different time of the day, and include that as a choice after the game is complete. How that would work from a level design viewpoint, I have no idea. Might be a horrible mess to try to make a level work in all the weathers, let alone at noon instead of night.
    Sings we a dances of wolfs, who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

Though I don't think it should be randomized, I could not agree more with this.

Is it to much if clouds could cover the moon and make everything slightly darker for like 20 seconds?

Is it to much if clouds could cover the moon and make everything slightly darker for about 20 seconds?

Originally Posted by Yaphy
    Is it to much if clouds could cover the moon and make everything slightly darker for about 20 seconds?
    I think they have a feature like this in The Dark Mod. Can anyone with actual information confirm/deny?
    Sings we a dances of wolfs, who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

I would like a "wind engine" built so wind blows through an outdoor level in a realistic way; making trees and leaves sway and blow around realistically. Sometimes ou can see gusts of wind moving in real life across the landscape. Similarly, it would do this across the Thief leve... across your view -- making pub signs sway, bushes rustle, or water ripple, or window shutters swaying, or/ You could set a level's wind to be around 5 MPH... or 10, 15 or 25 MPH. No hurricanes, of course, but it would be nice to have wind adding to the atmosphere more than games currently do. Rain or snow realistically driven by a wind 'engine' would be cool. As long as this doesn't get too gimmicky and waste too much of your time to implement, it could add a good amount to the atmosphere, imo.

I'd like to see a really windy mission. One that effects the way AI and the player move about when they are outdoors. Staggering animations, crates blown over, signs banging against walls, etc.
    Yes, but this makes me fearful, unless it's a wind engine creating random events like this. As long as the crates blowing over is not a pre-scripted event that I see happening 'every' time I play the mission and in the same way and same place every time; or the same sign blowing in exactly the same way every time... then I think we're okay. Otherwise, if it's pre-scripted, it gets annoying.

Come to think of it, what about a really hot, sunny day, causing most of the guards to want to stay in the shade?

Granted, I can't imagine why or how there'd be a Thief mission during the day, but...

Weather effects either have to be constant, regularly repeating, or with ample warning.

If the moon is about to come out from behind a cloud when I'm in the middle of the courtyard, I want that to be something I can judge ahead of time by looking up, not some freak event. If the thunder-clash can cover a noise I'll make, I need to see the lightning always X.XX seconds ahead. If rain adds ambient noise but makes me leave puddles as I enter the mansion, it needs to be something I know will happen in advance.

Basically, don't screw over the player on a random or unpredictable basis. (In a multiplayer game, it's not such a big issue,but this is single player, and it's all about experience.)

I really would want T4 to be the first game ever to do rain effects right. I don't mean that they should use all their time to make that happen, but seriously now. Rain effects haven't improved in games since 2002. Grand Theft Auto 3 made rain in a different style but it wasn't good either. It masked the skyline buildings and their illuminated windows in gray haze once again and it looked like a power outage in ConcreteVille. I mean really... Can it be that hard? I know it's almost impossible to make it work properly in a game that has day/night cycle, but in a game like thief where time stands still, they should be able to make some kind of a "Night rain shader".

I'm definitely a fan of the Weather Effect idea, although i wouldn't do it with dynamic weather. Thief always run through a very limited time, even the open city parts were at a distinct time which simply isn't long enough for changing weather.

Although i definitely like the idea of having more difficult weather on higher difficulty settings. Just imagine a windy mission where you can't hit anything with your bow.

I'm not really a big fan of ice arrows they don't sit well with me, although the possibility to have some magical something that could freeze locks sounds nice, liquid nitrogen anyone?

The footprints in snow sounds interesting too, as well as the lightning illumination.

Beside that i totally agree that guards should notice moss arrows, well they should notice arrows period, i think i remember the guards in Thief 2 ignoring rope arrows for example.

In midnight club los angeles, the rain is rather good. The ground can be all dry when its start to rain. After about 15 seconds the grounds gett darker and puddles start to take form in some spots. The puddles are clear and reflect objekts like a mirror. It have som smal ripples in the puddles to.
    I know, its a driving game. But do something like this and a little more details and it will work out rly good.

Page 2 of 8 First First 123456 ... Last