Thread: THE CITY WATCH -News/Interviews/Tweets - CLOSED, see new thread for 2012 onwards

THE CITY WATCH -News/Interviews/Tweets - CLOSED, see new thread for 2012 onwards

  1. #2301
    Would you say TDP and TMA failed because of the way they were? Or mainly because failed advertisement?

    Other games such as for example Assassins Creed (the concept of Thief is 50X better than this game, don't get me wrong), but Assassins Creed is still a different game than those around, it's not a brainless shooter and it was successful.

    I think that a Thief game can be very profitable being like TDP or TMA. In fact, for example, these two games were only in English I think?

    On the other hand, if not that profitable, I wouldn't mind paying more for Thief than the standard price of a game, if it's really different. If a game like Thief sells 30% of Assassins Creed, well, then make it $150, I don't mind as long as it's a Thief game like jtr7 stated.

  2. #2302
    They need to change the background colour from black to something brighter

  3. #2303
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    There are others who agree with you and have asked for options if not a change of color-scheme.


    Compendium, TDP and TMA sold as well as LGS expected, knowing it wasn't mainstream, knowing Thief was trying many unconventional things. TDP was overtaken by the storm surrounding the release of Half-Life the same year, but TMA and TDS still didn't sell huge in a changing industry climate, and even after TDS was designed more for the original XBox and sold multiplatform with TDP and TMA and LGS's critical acclaim preceding it. Their "failing" is only from the perspective of mainstream and mainstream dollars and expectations brought from the outside that those things were ever goals, and frankly, from what I've seen, the mainstream mindset doesn't deserve Thief.

    TDP and TMA were absolutely released in more than one language, and the Europeans are even bigger fans than the rest of the world.

  4. #2304
    Originally Posted by jtr7
    I must reiterate: I don't want a great game, I want great Thief. I have no faith we will get the latter, and have zero reason to believe so. The majority of opinion on how to "fix" the series is anti-Thief, pro-mainstream.
    The only indicator we have to allay that concern is DX3. I've played the 'review' build of Deus Ex: HR. I'm telling you outright: The game is very faithful to the formula of DX, all the contextual third-person B.S. notwithstanding. In watching some of the developer interviews, you hear them frequently say things like "We thought about doing this... but then decided it just wasn't Deus Ex". That's good news for us taffers.

    I think with Thief, they know they have a really good core formula, just like with DX. I honestly don't see them changing it much.
    signature image

  5. #2305
    Originally Posted by CompendiumOf_Reproach
    Would you say TDP and TMA failed because of the way they were?
    It's a common misbelief, but it's not true at all. Thief didn't topple LGS, but other 'mainstream' games they tried to develop did. I thought it's a well-known fact that they didn't receive anything from T2 sales because they went bankrupt right after it was released. It was Eidos who got everything after they bought all IP from LGS.

  6. #2306
    T4 has one thing going for it: next gen graphics. That may be all that is needed to sell the game well. Graphically, it was a different world in 1998/2000. Today, the game can just look nifty neat and get sales.

    So if EM makes a great game under the nice graphical hood, everyone will be happy: those who seek good gameplay will be thrilled; and those who seek kewl graphics will be thrilled. (Kewl graphics does not necessarily need to equate to Assassin's Creed or any other industry-standard cheesy practices. Just making a game in the year 2011/2012 by a studio who has seemingly proven their graphical abilities (DX3) means cool graphics are on their way. I know many don't want cool graphics, but it's a by-product of the year we live in and technological advances that have taken place the last decade... so EM doesn't need to try hard to make better graphics than then.)

    Just because T1/T2 didn't sell outstandingly well in their era, it doesn't mean their 'gameplay' formula wouldn't sell well today. It's a different world now, technologically speaking. People may be more apt to buy a slow stealthy intricate game that follows the T1/T2 formula simply because the graphics look nice and they like the atmosphere they see in trailers. There's a good chance the rich environments and refreshing differences to other games will suck people in, whereas in 1998 that was a little more difficult to do.

  7. #2307
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    No matter how good Thief 4 ends up, and no matter how f4ithful it is to the best aspects of the series and improves on everything improvable, if it requires Steam, all that light and will not even be visible from here, so all is lost from this vantage but what is already mine.


    As for sales, I see no evidence people are ready for a Thief game. This own forum, full of self-professed fans, is teeming with people who wish to change one fundamental aspect or another. I see no interest in the world for a game with weaponry and gear that isn't a fast-paced game about killing while doing other things. Graphics don't cut it. DX:HR isn't even making a lot of anticipated games lists.


    Thief, at its heart, was not created for the masses. It was intentionally built to fill niches, to challenge on a level the mainstream finds boring or difficult or not fun.

  8. #2308
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,540
    Originally Posted by CompendiumOf_Reproach
    Would you say TDP and TMA failed because of the way they were? Or mainly because failed advertisement?
    Thief 1 and 2 "failed" in the same sense as S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Penumbra and Amnesia "failed". Dedicated developers wanted to make their own perfect game, exactly how they wanted, without even thinking about what the mainstream opinions are. So the games became instant classics that still sell to this day. If I ever get to the game industry, I want to make games that "fail" too. Because they're better than those that don't fail.

    Originally Posted by jtr7
    Thief, at its heart, was not created for the masses. It was intentionally built to fill niches, to challenge on a level the mainstream finds boring or difficult or not fun.
    Yep. Thief is a product for those who can't consume the regular products because they suck. So in a way, when Thief is very different from fast-paced button mashers like Assassin's Creed, it "appeals to a wider audience." See, when there is a mainstream crap game, people who like Thief won't buy it. But if there is also a non-mainstream non-crap game, the people will buy it. So it "appeals to a wider audience" It collects the profit that was not available from the sales of the regular product.

  9. #2309
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Originally Posted by Silentbutdeadly
    They need to change the background colour from black to something brighter
    I'm enjoying the current darkness...

    ... it makes the light much more poignant.


  10. #2310
    Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity


    Yep. Thief is a product for those who can't consume the regular products because they suck. So in a way, when Thief is very different from fast-paced button mashers like Assassin's Creed, it "appeals to a wider audience." See, when there is a mainstream crap game, people who like Thief won't buy it. But if there is also a non-mainstream non-crap game, the people will buy it. So it "appeals to a wider audience" It collects the profit that was not available from the sales of the regular product.
    Portal anyone?
    ^This is a part of the core design and a fundamental of Thief!

  11. #2311
    If only LGS could resurrect and continue their brilliant work hell EM should just hand over the torch to the old pros and let them do what we know they would. If EM wanted to keep it secret and release it under their name then I could live with that but I strongly believe it wouldnt be the same without the LGS programmers where are they now even???. jtr7 do you know anything your wisdom is always appreciated friend.

  12. #2312
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,540
    Originally Posted by Yaphy
    Portal anyone?
    I don't get it. Give me the full sentence please.

  13. #2313
    The mood is getting quite bitter around here.. If EM truly check out this forum now and then, they should be aware of that. Seeing as in two years we haven't even gotten an utterance like "Thanks for being patient" directed to us though, the fans, I doubt that.

    Your doing a great job though Viktoria, being in the position you are in. So keep that candle burning even if we've all here more or less lost our f4ith in EM
    signature image

  14. #2314
    [a little troll]When the thief 4 time will come, I want Viktoria to be the community manager instead of Kyle, it would be nice. She is doing great job here to support unhappy fans unlike "official community manager who seems to be the invisble man [end of the little troll]



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    edit/ I know what happened:



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I don't speak good english, sorry. French speaker here.

  15. #2315
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Cute!

    But jokes aside, please don't think Kyle is to blame for not attending to our needs. He hands are tied until he gets permission to release info, sorry.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  16. #2316
    I don't think anyone would blackjack him for at least popping in here now and then though
    signature image

  17. #2317
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    Perhaps not... but we can imagine how many questions he will instantly get bombarded with; questions he won't be able to answer, just yet. That would be even more frustrating.

    This is why it makes sense to continue to wait patiently.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  18. #2318
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,540
    When the first answers arrive, if they can't answer any story-related questions, even though it might arouse some suspicions, there might be something good in that too. Because it can imply that they're going with the Thief 2 -development style, meaning that gameplay and missions come first, and details of the story come second.

  19. #2319
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The highest ground...
    Posts
    23,047
    May I just alert everyone to the fact that the Community Terms of Use was updated today.
    Please take a few minutes to read. Thank you.

    http://forums.eidosgames.com/announcement.php?f=72&a=50
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  20. #2320
    Originally Posted by jtr7
    No matter how good Thief 4 ends up, and no matter how f4ithful it is to the best aspects of the series and improves on everything improvable, if it requires Steam, all that light and will not even be visible from here, so all is lost from this vantage but what is already mine.

    As for sales, I see no evidence people are ready for a Thief game. This own forum, full of self-professed fans, is teeming with people who wish to change one fundamental aspect or another. I see no interest in the world for a game with weaponry and gear that isn't a fast-paced game about killing while doing other things. Graphics don't cut it. DX:HR isn't even making a lot of anticipated games lists.

    Thief, at its heart, was not created for the masses. It was intentionally built to fill niches, to challenge on a level the mainstream finds boring or difficult or not fun.
    Bottled farts - if marketed correctly - could sell millions of units. Thief can be mainstream. Just like a niche point-and-click mystery game like Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire, after being marketed correctly, sold millions of copies. It's all in the marketing.

    Eidos Montréal, by all accounts, stole the show this year at E3 (and according to Square Enix's CEO, saved the company what would have been an otherwise abysmal showing this year). And Deus Ex: Human Revolution was right at the heart of that. The game is kicking up a big stink at all the major game sites. Preorders are strong. (if GameStop's numbers are to be believed) All indications are that it's going to do incredibly well.
    signature image

  21. #2321
    Originally Posted by VIKTORIA
    May I just alert everyone to the fact that the Community Terms of Use was updated today.
    Please take a few minutes to read. Thank you.

    http://forums.eidosgames.com/announcement.php?f=72&a=50
    Facepalm.

    I kid!! I kid!!! Don't ban me, Viktoria! I just had to do it Thanks for sharing the info, and I'm happy to see the changes are noted in red. Whenever Apple updates their terms and conditions, I think they think it's no inconvenience to read through 100 full pages of legalese again.

  22. #2322
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,518
    I'm pretty sure the *facepalm* and *trollface* etc stuff is just meant to be discouraged if that's the only thing you post. So if you write a big diatribe and then put at the end a picture of the captain giving a facepalm, it's not really spam - but posting something where there's nothing BUT that picture is.
    signature image
    signature image

  23. #2323
    Originally Posted by Silentbutdeadly
    They need to change the background colour from black to something brighter
    I disagree. I like the dark background I actually dislike it when the login screen thanks me for logging in with it's light background. And the profile page and other screens I accidentally click to sometimes have the same light background. Blech.

  24. #2324
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    It's painful to look at for some members, and some members who find it straining are not participating here for that one fact alone.

  25. #2325
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,639
    I love the dark background...It make me happy......Everything is defined and spacial.

Page 93 of 208 First First ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... Last