Thread: "THE THIEF CHRONICLES" -History/Previous Games/Fan Missions/Resources/Community Links

"THE THIEF CHRONICLES" -History/Previous Games/Fan Missions/Resources/Community Links

A new T2 fan mission over on TTLG called "Cathedral of St.Vincent"
    Go play!

http://ttlg.ttlg.mobi/forums/showthread.php?t=139572
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by ClubbedToDeath
    After no one recomended any FM for thief 2 i started downloading FM randomly few were nice then i stumbled on Seven Sisters , omg really nice played it all day yesterday even i must study for exams really enjoyed ... the question is are all FM from lady rowena like SS , dont like FM never tried them but lady rowena proved me wrong and sure would be happy if all her work is like SS ...
    No, the other Lady Rowena's works are not at the same height of SS; I'd suggest you to play the Christine Schneider's missions (zinkchristine) if you are interested in that type of gameplay. Anyway, the best fan missions set I've ever played is "The Rebellion Of The Builder". Give it a try!

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    There are occlusion baking techniques, just like there are normal map baking systems in 3d modeling programs. And I'm sure those things existed when Thief 2 was being developed, even though pixel shader technology itself wasn't yet the norm in real-time game rendering.

You have a high poly model with all the fabric creases modeled as physical shapes. Then you bake the occlusion into a UV map. Basically the texture is lit, and baking it creates a flat image out of the amount that different areas in the model are illuminated, with the differences being caused by the physical creases on the high-poly model. Then that UV occlusion map can be used as a base for simple diffuse textures that Thief 2 uses. ie. a texture that just has the creases, and all you need to do is add some color. And apply it to a low-poly model.
    Thank you. I just used the original textures. I hope they will not look that bad in the game.

Free Fall: S = ½a * t²

I was trying to start a Ghost walkthrough of Thief 2, but apparently Youtube has some problem that makes every upload fail after reaching 1%.

The latest T2 fan mission, "What've You Found Little Fly" (5 July 2012) is available over on TTLG.

http://ttlg.ttlg.mobi/forums/showthread.php?t=139673
    signature image

Detecting a sense of community . . .
    I have played Thief DP, TMA and TDS, T2X, COSAS and FM's. This does not mean that I am in any better position to voice my opinion than anyone else.

About the links to fan sites (in Poland)...
    http://www.thief-forum.pl/ - the biggest polish forum
    http://www.thief-portal.pl/ - great portal about thief's universe

Viki you miss a very relevant site:

http://shadowdarkkeep.com/downloadst3.htm for those who thinks to develop in Thief 3

Content:

GarrettLoader Full Install (v1.41) Use GarrettLoader to load and play all Thief 3 FMs.
    T3Ed The Unreal-based Thief Deadly Shadows Editor program "T3Ed"
    Thief3Launcher The Thief3Launcher program for seamlessly switching between editing and playing
    KomagTutT3 Komag's full T3Ed tutorial which, sadly, will forever remain "almost finished".
    KomagTutT3 My full T3Ed tutorial which, sadly, will forever remain "almost finished".

Thank you for your contributions, taffers. Added to first page summary.
    signature image

I don't know who he is, but he's making a real contribution to the Thief world: he has made all the cutscene intro of Thief 3 in T2/1-like mode, and the result is awesome!!

He's called liszt17 on YouTube. Here are some of his videos:

I insist you to watch because it's really something that miss in the game. Maybe in some Thief DS gold edition, these videos could fit perfectly, in the briefings.

I've been learning Daniel Thron's type of cutscene art too. It's pretty easy to do with After Effects. For example I recreated the Maw forest scene from Thief 2 in HD, in the intro of my playthrough of Trail of Blood. If anyone ever needs some video material for cutscenes in fan missions, I would be happy to help. As long as someone else provides the greenscreen footage for any silhouette scenes, because I'm working alone and I don't even own a camera.

Check it out. It's right at the beginning, after my logo.

Speaking of silhouette scenes and remaking thief-cutscenes, I personally think the T2X cutscenes should be remade with greenscreen silhouette footage. Because the hand-animated CG looks horrible. Isn't it ironic that the high-poly pre-rendered cutscenes look appalling, but the low-poly ingame characters look fine, simply because one is hand-animated and the other is mo-capped?

Speaking of silhouette scenes and remaking thief-cutscenes, I personally think the T2X cutscenes should be remade with greenscreen silhouette footage. Because the hand-animated CG looks horrible. Isn't it ironic that the high-poly pre-rendered cutscenes look appalling, but the low-poly ingame characters look fine, simply because one is hand-animated and the other is mo-capped?
    Yea,I´ve recently played T2X,since I wasnt able to make it work before,and tone of the many things I didnt like was that the CG cutscenes look like PS1 CG cutscenes.

I've been learning Daniel Thron's type of cutscene art too. It's pretty easy to do with After Effects. For example I recreated the Maw forest scene from Thief 2 in HD, in the intro of my playthrough of Trail of Blood. If anyone ever needs some video material for cutscenes in fan missions, I would be happy to help. As long as someone else provides the greenscreen footage for any silhouette scenes, because I'm working alone and I don't even own a camera.

Check it out. It's right at the beginning, after my logo.

You made the plants at 00:13? Strange, they looks pretty raw, and they seems of the game (cutscene)...

Originally Posted by massimilianogoi
    You made the plants at 00:13? Strange, they looks pretty raw, and they seems of the game (cutscene)...
    100% made by me. I didn't take anything from the cutscene because there are about 5 different layers in it, so I had to improvise and recreate them from scratch, and make them glide in perspective, approximately how they do in the cutscene. And of course, the cutscene resolution is 640x480, and my video is 1280x720, so taking anything from a low-resolution highly compressed video like that would look very much out of place.

They might look raw because I didn't bother putting more details in the silhouette of the trees. I could have put tiny branches and bumps, and perhaps some grass shape on the ground level. But I wanted it to represent more accurately what it looks ingame.

...and the falling leaf looks horrible I know. I'm not too familiar with the effects in AE so didn't know any good ways to distort it to make it look more real.

The falling leaf is cool for me.

The water of the creek has a strange colour... did you use some kind of textures patch? Usually it's green.

The water of the creek has a strange colour... did you use some kind of textures patch? Usually it's green.
    The latest TafferPatcher includes high resolution water with better quality surface animation.

By the way taffers, I've said many times that whenever I play Thief 1 or 2, I discover something new. I was checking my Masks -walkthrough video for errors. When you install Tafferpatcher (or the official patch, I don't remember), there's an additional conversation in the beginning, between two guards. Get this... The guards are literally the same two guards you run into in Bafford's basement in the very fist mission of TDP.

The Tafferpatcher adds a conversation between the guards?

Tafferpatcher fixes a lot of bugs that Thief 2 shipped with that LGS never patched out. LGS recorded the conversation Platinumoxicity is talking about, and obviously meant it to play, but I never heard it prior to using Tafferpatcher. It also fixes some faulty brushes in Running Interference and Kidnap that made it impossible to find all of the loot. Those are the biggest things I remember off the top of my head, but it adds a lot of polish LGS never got to before they shut down. I highly recommend it.
    A true professional doesn't leave a mess.
    My YouTube channel-Thief Ghosting videos!

I don't know who he is, but he's making a real contribution to the Thief world: he has made all the cutscene intro of Thief 3 in T2/1-like mode, and the result is awesome!!

He's called liszt17 on YouTube. Here are some of his videos:
    Oh my, a fellow Hungarian did that!

I've been learning Daniel Thron's type of cutscene art too...
    Wait... was Dan Thron who made that cutscenes?? Really??

Wait... was Dan Thron who made that cutscenes?? Really??
    Well, he didn't actually produce the videos and animations, but he did make the drawn art for them. Or at least I think that's how it went, I dunno. He also made all the box art and other promotional stuff. Remember, Looking Glass was a small studio. In small studios anyone can contribute anything. In large corporate environments, a voice actor's gameplay design proposals probably would be ignored. -Or the other way around, still artist's requirest for doing voice work would probably be denied.

Well, he was good in drawing too!! What a polyhedric person is Dan Thron!! Now he's turned into cinema.

Anyway, just for teasing:

Do you recognize that?

SKYRIM
    The first time I played Skyrim, I was Thief-struck immediately. In the first village one usually visits, Riverwood, there's a trader with Stephen Russell's "Benny" voice. And his name is Valerius. Also, the quest he gives, the first official side-quest of the game, is about thieves.

-Thieves
    -Benny voice
    -Valerius

I think it's safe to assume that's not a coincidence.

I've read he has made many personnages in that game, as it's written in the comments of the video.

-Mercer Frey
    -Clavicus Vile
    -Barbas

Mercer Frey was almost Garrett for me.

Page 15 of 34 First First ... 511121314151617181925 ... Last