Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: What got you into KINGDOM HEARTS?

What got you into KINGDOM HEARTS?

Everyone has a story when it comes to this topic!

Was it the Disney characters and locales? Final Fantasy characters? The game's original characters or mash of the aforementioned franchises? Something else?

What's your story? How did you first get the game and what pulled you in?

...that's a good question....

At first the idea of FF and Disney made me laugh. I didn't think it would be popular, but then I saw the preview for KH 2 and thought... "hey!! this actually looks pretty cool... and the Disney worlds don't look at craptacular as I thought!!" So I bought KH to get into it... (also I bought it because Advent Children hadn't come out yet in English and I wanted to know what Cloud sounded like..... ^^') Once I found myself on the stained glass floors selecting which weapon I wanted (staff, sword, shield) I knew I found something special...

Kingdom Hearts was the first game I ever cried over. I knew that Kairi was taken care of. I would win her back no question... Riku worried me. So when I finally defeated Ansem I didn't rejoice. I couldn't find Riku... I knew it wasn't over. So when I heard his voice and saw him at the door, I was giddy... until I realized he was helping to close from the inside. I don't know when the tears started, but I was yelling at him to come ouside and help push with Sora... and then when we were separated from Kairi, I just cried all through the ending. When "Dearly Beloved" played at the end, when all the scenes and the credits were done, I just sat there laughing and crying. Two weeks of playing, and I was completely hooked, an emotional wreck staring at game art on a screen as piano music played through the TV speakers.

...sorry... that was a bit long... ^^'

I was in gamestop after a few weeks of the game being released and I had already found a hardly touched used copy and it really was the Disney that got me interested. Seeing Alice in Wonderland, Nightmare before Christmas and Peter Pan in the back of the case really drew me in since I really liked those movies and well most of the Disney movies. At first I had no idea that FF characters were in the game when I bought it but when I played and noticed them I liked the game a lot more and then the story just won me over. Then I just kept on playing the series following CoM.

I got into this series pretty late. But whoa, when i first played it, the game had a big impact on me. There was something about the questions at the beginning that drew me into the game, eg. "What's most important to you?" & "What are you afraid of?" Those really had me thinking.

Oh and Destiny Island....that place looked amazing- blue seas & skies, white sandy beach. Running around that place was a treat. Also at the Clock Tower, flying around, looking down at the houses made me feel calm for some reason.

I started playing KH in 2005 & have never looked back......

Originally Posted by Gaialei_Strife
    ...that's a good question....

At first the idea of FF and Disney made me laugh. I didn't think it would be popular, but then I saw the preview for KH 2 and thought... "hey!! this actually looks pretty cool... and the Disney worlds don't look at craptacular as I thought!!" So I bought KH to get into it... (also I bought it because Advent Children hadn't come out yet in English and I wanted to know what Cloud sounded like..... ^^') Once I found myself on the stained glass floors selecting which weapon I wanted (staff, sword, shield) I knew I found something special...

Kingdom Hearts was the first game I ever cried over. I knew that Kairi was taken care of. I would win her back no question... Riku worried me. So when I finally defeated Ansem I didn't rejoice. I couldn't find Riku... I knew it wasn't over. So when I heard his voice and saw him at the door, I was giddy... until I realized he was helping to close from the inside. I don't know when the tears started, but I was yelling at him to come ouside and help push with Sora... and then when we were separated from Kairi, I just cried all through the ending. When "Dearly Beloved" played at the end, when all the scenes and the credits were done, I just sat there laughing and crying. Two weeks of playing, and I was completely hooked, an emotional wreck staring at game art on a screen as piano music played through the TV speakers.

...sorry... that was a bit long... ^^'
    I didn't expect the game's ending to be emotional. But I was fighting back the waterworks when I saw Kari starting to cry in the ending video.

Honest? For the longest time I didn't want to play it because I didn't really know anything about it. Then I saw the first game in my loca Game Stop store and had just enough to pick it up so I did. Then I simply fell in love with it, and luckily for me the second one came out literaly a month or two after I played the first one. The irony being that I thought I wouldn't have to wait long for the next one... I was so rather mistaken.

it was the first game that I got for my ps2

Back in high school, a friend I'd known since middle school lent me four games. I booted up Dragon Ball Z Budokai first, but the other three were JRPGs. Started up Xenosaga Episode I, but then went into FINAL FANTASY X. Was a fan of the series since, though I was still wet about JRPG cliches (I felt that Seymour was being played up as bad, but would be later shown as good). After that, someone here (my sister?) got KINGDOM HEARTS going.

Years later, and all three of those games (and their series) hold a place for me. Heck, that same friend lent me the disc from issue 75 of the Official PlayStation Magazine, which I got a second-hand copy of years later so I could watch Eternal Calm whenever I wanted.

Still will attest that the first KH game was the strongest (in spite of the camera's jankiness, though I'll always love it for being on the shoulder buttons, rather than drawing my thumb away from the ever-used cross and square (and later, triangle) buttons. However, I have a soft spot for the spinoffs (especially COM and Days).

Originally Posted by Earth
    Everyone has a story when it comes to this topic!

Was it the Disney characters and locales? Final Fantasy characters? The game's original characters or mash of the aforementioned franchises? Something else?

What's your story? How did you first get the game and what pulled you in?
    Well, I was a bit small when I had heard of this game... I had played it somewhere else and it really amused me. So I wrote down the name and went to Gamestop and bought it. After beating the game, I wanted more. This game is amazing and anybody who's a fan has reason to be.

For me, in the beginning when they aired commercials for Kingdom Hearts, I thought the idea of it was pretty cool! But i wasn't all like, "I HAVE TO GET THAT GAME" Or anything because that was around the time when I wasn't that into video games. But I remember I always loved seeing the commercials for the game because I really loved the theme song "Simple and Clean" that they played. Still I never got the game or didn't really think much about it after.

Until a couple of years later, at a friends house, we were looking through a box of hers with a couple of PS2 games in it. I saw that she had Kingdom Hearts 2 and asked if we could play it. She was already around the end of the game in "The World That Never Was" but was having a hard time beating Xemnas so she had quit playing until now. So we all took the challange and literally spent hours taking turns trying to defeat the guy. We were having so much fun doing it though, so we didn't care how long it took! And when we finally kicked Xemnas's butt, we got crazy excited and watched the ending scenes. We all never played the first game and I had just started playing this second one, so we didn't exactly get the meaning of the ending, but we loved it either way!

After that, my sister and I deciced to buy the game and play through it ourselves, and i loved it ten times as much! I still didn't understand every detail though because I still haven't played the first one, so obviously we bought it right after. I remember when I heard "Simple and Clean" again in the beginning of Kingdom Hearts, I got that nostalgic feeling and was like, yeahhh!! So now fully understanding everything, iv'e been in love with the series since then, (as well as Final Fantasy) and now are still my most favorite games!

And later I realized why my friend and i had a hard time defeating Xemnas...we were at a low level and barely had any abilites equipped..

For me, I have a love for both Final Fantasy and Disney, so when I first started seeing things appear about Kingdom Hearts I was instantly drawn in. The commercials were amazing, and I loved the game's theme "Simple and Clean", so if the TV was on and I heard it come on I would run into the room and just stare. I admit, I never in a million years thought that it would work out, but, I preordered the game regardless, and then promptly blew off every other social obligation and many homework assignments as I got sucked into the story line, game play, the entire thing that is "Kingdom Hearts" really. In my opinion the game was flawless. Sure, there may have been a technical glitch or two (the camera didn't always play nice), but there was nothing really that stuck out as "wow. this needs fixed".

I was intrigued when a few of my RPG friends mentioned KH had FF characters in it. I had a look, and saw Goofy and Donald, and shrugged it off thinking it was catered towards toddlers.

But then I gave it a try and absolutely fell in love with the battle system. I mainly played the game to see the FF character cameos, but then I started to enjoy the disney worlds as well.

Over the years, the story has become a little hard to follow due to the games releasing on all these handhelds, but I am still interested in KH3, which hopefully will be on a Sony console. I loved playing Birth By Sleep on the PSP, and consider it has the best battle system iteration of all Kingdom Hearts. And because I enjoy this battle system so much, I am very excited for Versus as well.

My mom got the first KH because it was a Squaresoft game and she was a fan of the Final Fantasy series in particular. I was the one who played it because it was more action-based and she preferred the turn-based RPGs.

Confession, though. I never finished KH1, though I've played and beat everything, except re:coded, since.

To be honest, it was a webshow called 'Demyx Time' on YouTube. My friend reccomended I watch it and it was hilarious!
    So I started to get to know their versions of the KH characters and it made me want to play Kingdom Hearts.

Although I was always aware that Kingdom Hearts existed and had Disney characters in it, I never really knew what it was.
    Thank God I watched the webshow. It started a huge obsession.

Originally Posted by maddyjayde
    To be honest, it was a webshow called 'Demyx Time' on YouTube.

Oh, fun times watching that. A friend of mine also recommended it to me after showing me that group's take on the Turks.

Uhn, Kingdom Hearts was the first game for Play Station 2 I bought and finished.

It was funny because I finished all out of order, the first two, then the CoM, 358/2 days, re:coded, BBS and finally the 1st. And of corse I cried a lot!

Now waiting for Dream Drop Distance. Sometimes I thought to myself "Goofy, please, stop into my forward when I attack!" When I defeated Sephiroth I could not belive, I spend months trying. "Mission Accomplished!"

I Just love the Passion instrumental version, Missing you,and Dearly Beloved makes me cry...

Sorry for the mistakes of English, I'm still learning.

A friend let me borrow it back in 2002. I never actually finished KH 1 until after I beat KH 2. Same with CoM. My friends ended up filling me in coughcoughtriedtheirbestcough on what happened. Since then I've played all of them multiple times except 358 days and BBS (i have the japanese version and finished Terra's story. Didn't understand anything that was said though).

I got into the game series a year ago in January (my parents hated video games, so we never got to play them). I was going through YouTube when I saw one of the walkthroughs for Kingdom Hearts 2 in the Pridelands on the side. Curious (cause Sora was a lion and I wanted to know what was up) I clicked on it. Suddenly, they're fighting Heartless. I start wondering what Heartless are and look up the first game's walkthrough. Since then, I've seen all the walkthoughs (minus 3D, I'll play that one myself), have bought a PS2 and Kingdom Hearts, (planning on buying Chains and KH2 during this sale Square is having), and have BBS even though I don't have a PSP, and have become a major fangirl for KH and Square Games. I just can't get enough. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

It was weird. Although I was a Final Fantasy fan and a fan of Disney films, it wasn't until I read an article in Official US Playstation magazine that I even knew that the game existed. From that point I was interested in it and my fondness of the title grew from there.

I got into Kingdom Hearts through KH2 song "Sanctuary." One day I heard it on a commercial then I looked at the TV and saw it was Kingdom Hearts 2. I heard about Kingdom Hearts before but wasn't interested because of the Disney aspect. For some reason after I heard that song I wanted to play it to see what it was about. So I got KH and KH2 and the rest is history.

So many years have passed now, I still remember that it was wanting to see the FF characters that got me into it, particularly FF7 characters, as that's my second favorite FF.

When the first game was released, I remember reading about it and I believed the idea was silly. Many years passed before I finally gave the series a try.

I got into Kingdom Hearts just 3 years ago. While doing some web browsing I found some images of the game, so my curiosity did the job. After doing some research I got to play CoM, and I loved it (listening to Simple and Clean at the end of the game was something powerful). After that I read the manga versions and watched some playthrough videos since I didn't have a PS2. All that was more than enough to make me love the series, and later I bought and played BBS, 358/ Days and Re: Coded.

Funny thing: I also found copies of KH1 and 2 and, naturally, I bought 'em, even without having the console.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

I intially got KH2 when it was $15. Loved it. After beating it, I tried out CoM and loved that game as well.

Me and my fiance just started going out. We went to gamestop for their buy two get one free and I took a chance on buying a new Kingdom Hearts 2 game instead of going with the sale. I was trying to make a good impression. So we played together for a few hours each day. On the forth day she had something to do and I ended up pulling an all nighter with the game. The day after that she was so pissed that I played for hours and she missed a big part of the story that to this day she still holds it against me. And now she is the biggest KH fan I know. She gets so heart broken everytime there is a gaming event and there is no announcement for the consoles for the KH series. I'm so hoping this E3 she won't be heart broken.

My story is quite superficial. When I first heard about Kingdom Hearts, I was deeply in love with the Final Fantasy series, so when I heard a friend mention that there were FF characters, I got quite excited. They were nice enough to let me borrow KH1, and barely 30 minutes into the game, I stopped caring about the FF cameos and wanted to know more about what was gonna happen next.

FF lured me in, but Kingdom Hearts kept me enthralled for the last several years on it's own awesome merit ^^

Page 1 of 3 123 Last