Thread: Homeless Cat Turns up on Mum's Doorstep!

Red Face (Embarrassed) Homeless Cat Turns up on Mum's Doorstep!

I should say "A" cat, because as far as I am aware, Goran is still tending to the resident Ship's Cat's every need

Mum told me about him last week and on Wednesday I visited and we sat out in the sunshine on the front bench and he came along and jumped on my lap, nuzzling away and touching my face really gently with his paw

He's about a year old I would deduce and from his "structure" I'd say he was a Siamese cross but with tabby colouring (grey,black with a white underbelly and legs). He has long legs and is quite petite with a very tapered face and vibrant green eyes (unusually so), that taper upwards rather like an Egyptian idol/statue replica.

Needless to say we have made every effort to determine ownership and asked around for info as well as prospective takers who might like a companion. But so far nothing aside from the widow next door who said she would not like a cat then seemed to feed him and call him in a few times...only to then disappear for the weekend leaving this cat with no shelter nor food She doesn't seem to realise that cats are not like hedgehogs, can't be fed soup and certainly can't be abandoned for the weekend (as nice a lady as she is, the locals don't treat their animals in the same way and rarely have dogs indoors but tied up outside).

Mum was sadly reluctant to take him in because we have Honey to care for exclusively after Buster and Chloe were put to sleep and she's getting all of the attention now and Mum didn't want Honey to feel compromised.

However, our policy of leaving a dish out and not allowing the stray into the house diminished rapidly over the weekend In fact last night, my brother went into the attic to fetch Buster's basket and he slept in that all night after a whole day of eating and cuddling up to each of us in turn!

If nothing happens by Friday we are going to keep him. Mum plans to get him neutered on friday so long as our lovely widow friend doesn't object (the cat can visit her any time of course), and also wormed.

Now we are thinking names. I'd like something very reflective of Egypt mixed in with Siamese....hmmm...I've been Googling for some ideas!! Any suggestions cat lovers?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

He sounds very sweet!

I am obsessed with cats, as I have seven of my own

Here are a few possible Egyptian names:

Set
    Akiiki - means "friendly"
    Azizi - means "precious"
    Bes - means "brings joy"
    Hasani - means "handsome"
    Kahotep - means "peaceful essence"
    To be proud of virtue, is to poison yourself with the antidote

Smile

Hmm, thanks, Headache! They sound sooo nice as names. Pronouncing them might be an issue but I have seen several similar names like these that appeal. Failing that I came up with the name "Thai" but maybe spelt "Tye"? Not very inspirational I know but I is still finkin'

Oh, the widow came home from her weekend trip yesters and came to see Mum and, on seeing the kitty she said "MY CAT!" To which Mum had to diplomatically say 'Oh, did you go away for the weekend? Only the cat was starving and cold' *Sigh*

The lady also said her daughter was interested but to be honest, I have doubts about the daughter being able to commit to a cat - they need a lot of care and I can't see either of them buying the correct food nor providing the moolah for any veterinary care

I think it's a forgone conclusion that the cat chose us above her. He seems to know which side his bread is buttered Cats choose a home when they are strays as opposed to ferrals and he has chosen my mother's gaff as his penthouse suite

I've urged Mum to keep him and have offered to share the costs because we will be getting his jewels snipped

You can't just take your neighbours cat!
    For all you know, your neighbour might have made a genuine mistake and learned from it!

Don't cats generally feed themselves anyway? Ours always killed birds and mice.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dumah's wraith View Post
    You can't just take your neighbours cat!
    For all you know, your neighbour might have made a genuine mistake and learned from it!

Don't cats generally feed themselves anyway? Ours always killed birds and mice.

It wasn't her cat. It turned up on OUR doorstep and we tried to urge the lady to take it because we thought she might find it company. But she wasn't interested initially, then she was feeding it soup... ...then she disappeared for three days leaving it to fend for itself.

It was cold and wet and the kitty was clearly untrained in finding it's own source of food, probably because it's mother had died

We just could not turn our backs on it and as I said, they dont treat their animals the same as we do in rural areas my friend. This cat needs to be doctored to prevent unwanted kittens for a start and the lady concerned would not even waste a penny on such a procedure and nor would she give a flying cr@p if it got injured and needed £300 worth of operations which is precisely what happened to our other stray, Buster, when he was hit by a car.

Realising this, the lady concerned is now very content knowing we are homing him - but that was ultimately the cat's choice. Not ours, I assure you

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    It wasn't her cat. It turned up on OUR doorstep and we tried to urge the lady to take it because we thought she might find it company. But she wasn't interested initially, then she was feeding it soup... ...then she disappeared for three days leaving it to fend for itself.

[/COLOR][/I][/B]
    I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

In all seriousness, homeless animals spread disease and this animal should be quarantined and processed.

This is the UK, not a rabid-carrying country with the plague

He was checked out by the vet this morning, just to reassure you.

I say we are not a "diseased" country mind you but that said, my mother encountered a rat a few weeks ago I might add that my Mum is very clean too, but it was outside. There's an increase in rats and I don't know why this should be - maybe it's down to the new recycling laws. I reckon some people don't quite get it yet and are leaving waste food in the wrong place - maybe outdoors and not in enclosed (specially provided) bins.

The mind boggles, truly!

hmmm you tell as more about your cat........

Wink

Why, are you feeling hungry, Puzzlomat?

He's being neutered next week, my brother named him "Mickey" and before Mum took me to the hospital today, I witnessed him sleeping on her bed

I see he's already both prioritised and further, claimed the comfort zones!!

Aww! thats nice .. i like cats, i have a little doggy though (-= cats are pretty, i like how delecate they are =D

He was up to all kinds of mischief the other day. Mum was trying to change her bedding and he climbed inside the duvet cover and refused to move

He's such a cutie, I must take some pics of him tomorrow and share them on ECC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    He was up to all kinds of mischief the other day. Mum was trying to change her bedding and he climbed inside the duvet cover and refused to move

He's such a cutie, I must take some pics of him tomorrow and share them on ECC.
    He's using non violent resistance. It could be worse.