View Poll Results: Lara or the Dopplehoe?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lara Croft

73 81.11%
  • Dopplehoe

17 18.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lara Croft Vs Doppelgänger

Lara Croft Vs Doppelgänger

Ive picked Lara

Its been bugging me since the release of Laras Shadow that the Doppelgänger has been getting more love than Lara. Ppl even asking for a Spin off game (imagine if it did better than Tomb Raider itself!!! ).

I wouldnt mind downloadable Dopple levels with each new Tomb Raider instalement, but what i do not want is the Doppelgänger to be involved (main plot) in all future Tomb Raider games and push Lara aside.

Anyway i was wondering who was your fave out of the Double Pistol Duo?

Lara, because she is the one and only Tomb Raider!
    "In the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces."- Zapp Brannigan

Doppelhoe for the win!

I agree with Miss Jess! Lara is tomb raider, and lara has feelings, and the awesome thing about her, is that she's not super natural, she's able to do all these things without powers, were the dopple could only do them with powers.
    Dont kill a cow, eat a cowboy.

I like Doppey!
    She's a quieter but more arrogant (in a childish way) version of Lara. She's sort of more playful too, but also has a cruel streak that I'm not sure is any worse than Lara's.

Lara.

Doppelganger is cool, but nothing beats the original.
    LittleBigPlanet: Croft Manor Beneath the Ashes
    PSN ID: DuskRaider

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnyskeans View Post
    Its been bugging me since the release of Laras Shadow that the Doppelgänger has been getting more love than Lara. Ppl even asking for a Spin off game (imagine if it did better than Tomb Raider itself!!! ).

I wouldnt mind downloadable Dopple levels with each new Tomb Raider instalement, but what i do not want is the Doppelgänger to be involved (main plot) in all future Tomb Raider games and push Lara aside.

Anyway i was wondering who was your fave out of the Double Pistol Duo?
    Interesting question.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Doppelganger could easily defeat Lara in a fight... the Doppelganger is much more powerful and has access to moves and powers that Lara does not have.

It is a shame that TR must rely on story, because otherwise they could introduce a playable character such as the doppelganger in future games. (It might be difficult to do that story-wise as it is, and limitations on what could be done because of story).

I have been unable to play the TR:U-LS DLC, as I don't have access to the XBL platform, but it would be very interesting to see what the results were; what the feel of gameplay was, how "TR" the game was with a character that can perform super-human feats.
    It would certainly be a different interpretation, or implementation of the TR concept.

Though, of course, Lara is the main protagonist of the TR series, and it would be wise for the developers to be cautious before bringing the Doppelganger into the standard continuity of TR, (as we saw disastrous results with Kurtis in AoD). Lara is who the fans love, and although the appearance and character of Lara have little or no impact on the gameplay of the TR series, she is an important part of the series and perhaps TR would not be so successful without Lara. (Of course, the series isn't entirely based on Lara herself, though ).

I would not want to see the Doppelganger become the protagonist of the TR series, though it would be good if we did see some variety in the style of gameplay (within the "TR" gameplay realm) in the same style as the super-powered Doppleganger. (e.g. magic artefacts, etc. that allow us to move super fast, strong, etc. like Thor's gauntlets did).

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    I would not want to see the Doppelganger become the protagonist of the TR series, though it would be good if we did see some variety in the style of gameplay (within the "TR" gameplay realm) in the same style as the super-powered Doppleganger. (e.g. magic artefacts, etc. that allow us to move super fast, strong, etc. like Thor's gauntlets did).
    YAYYY we agree on somethingggggg

I like how LS looks to actually play but i dont like the idea that the doppleganger is better as a playable character than Lara, especially with how negative ppl were about underworld itself.

I was thinking that they could have done doppleganger style gameplay but through the Lara character via an artefact of some sorts. If gauntlets can give strength to certain blocks, could (as a huge example!!!) boots give way to speed aspects of mobility in certain areas? Its a better way of working in the mechanics without replacing the character! We hardly get much Lara in a full length Tomb Raider game these days due to how short the games are, dont shorten her time on screen by getting her doppleganger to do half her work.

Theres only one Tomb Raider and thats Lara.
    Dopple does not have the attitude that Lara has which we all love about her
    Unknown person: Who are you??
    Lara: I am Lara croft, world famous adventurer with double D's

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    Theres only one Tomb Raider and thats Lara.
    Dopple does not have the attitude that Lara has which we all love about her
    Only one TR?
    What about Natla's gang? Pierre was a pretty good TR, and in Greece they found out who was better. TR4 had von Croy, and the TR movie had Alex West. I think the 'race' between Lara and other TRs is one that adds tension in the story, and gives hope for a boss fight. I think it is a shame that they are tied to have Lara as the only playable character in the TR series, just because of story elements. (They could do some exciting things without her, but it might not work).
    Considering a lot of what is so great in TR is not related to the story, I think it could be done without Lara. (i.e. a TR game without Lara would still be a TR game, in terms of gameplay..)

True

BUT....Lara is the only one out of all of them that has survived through all of her adventures so far, where as Pierre was killed by tose Cenetars, and Von Croy was killed by the Monstrum.....and Lara managed to kill all those things that none of them where able to kill

but yeah you could still pull off a TR game staring someone else
    Unknown person: Who are you??
    Lara: I am Lara croft, world famous adventurer with double D's

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    Only one TR?
    What about Natla's gang? Pierre was a pretty good TR, and in Greece they found out who was better. TR4 had von Croy, and the TR movie had Alex West. I think the 'race' between Lara and other TRs is one that adds tension in the story, and gives hope for a boss fight. I think it is a shame that they are tied to have Lara as the only playable character in the TR series, just because of story elements. (They could do some exciting things without her, but it might not work).
    Considering a lot of what is so great in TR is not related to the story, I think it could be done without Lara. (i.e. a TR game without Lara would still be a TR game, in terms of gameplay..)
    Yeah there were other "tomb raiders" but none were as sucessful as Lara (Pierre's sloppiness did him in, Von Croy got possessed and was eventually murdered, and Alex West relied on blind luck to get him through). Personally, I think Lara should be the only playable character, since people play Tomb Raider specifically for Lara Croft: to help her navigate dangerous puzzles and situations and to watch as her character evolves. Take Lara out of the game and the game loses its meaning and becomes another Prince of Persia "why am I doing this again?" kind of game. Games where the player has no emotional connection with the main character are never as satisfying as games where the player is totally invested and really wants to see the main character beat the bad guy (in this case Natla) and save the world.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well but I guess my point is that Lara is Tomb Raider and that to take her out would be suicide for the franchise.

About the Doppelganger: no, I do not like her better than Lara and yes it is disturbing that so many people do. Personally I find her cruel and borderline evil and the fact that she does everything with superpowers does take away from the sense of accomplishment you get when you solve a really hard puzzle or just barely land a really hard jump (the St. Francis Folly level comes to mind) that you get when you play as Lara. Also, Lara is alot more balanced and definately alot more compassionate than the brutal Doppelganger.

Ultimately I think your opinion is a reflection of the type of person you are. Are you the kind of the person that likes the shoot-first-feel-nothing-later kinda character? Then the Doppel is your cup of tea. Like people with real emotions like guilt and compassion? Then Lara is the one for you. Either way, our preferences say way more about us than they do about Lara.

Okay, call me biased but I do believe Lara could beat Doppel in a one on one fight. For now i didn't see Doppel showing off except on cutscenes, what is she affraid of?! Show me a Doppelganger to fight against and I'm sure Lara will send her back in a coffin
    signature image

i voted doppleganger coz she rocks
    signature image

Doppleganger =P Cos' Lara has been in every TR Game , Doppie could have her own spin of game like

Duty Of The Doppleganger

And lara could remain as Tomb Raider, so Doppie Wins For Me!

p.s: can u not do such big paragraphs it hurts my eyes and gives me headaches (i wear glasses and i forgot to bring them up stairs xD)

I chose Lara, mostly because she is all that I have ever played (and I have not played that many Tomb Raider games, although I do really enjoy them).
    I will never be able to play LS unless they make it available for PC.
    There are some things that I like about the Doppel, like her impressive moves and she just seems less vulnerable--since she's not a human. But at the same time I would rather play a realistic character.
    I doubt that the Doppel will replace Lara, because that would be a totally new game.

I think I might choose the Doppelganger. My god, she IS Lara Croft. CD's Lara seems to pale in comparison. Unless they bring back her original personality and look, the Doppelganger will always be one step ahead.
    "Every Object here has a symbolic function. If only the outside world were the same..."- Lara Croft

Lara cause she is the original one. I dont really care about the doppelganger!

Sorry for the off topic, but i have a question.
    Does enyone knows if the soundtrack from BTA and LS is available for download, or when it will be? If any of you knows, please answer!!! thanks

Lara is the main character and will be for all time! MUHAHAHA!!! TOMB RAIDER FOREVER!!!
    Two Guns, Money and Attitude. Lara Croft, The Tomb Raider.

LARA

I love LS - I believe a spin off game would be awesome - but I just don't want it to be he main focus. The bashing and crashing of Doppy is awesome - but it's not the reason I was so captivated by the series. It's all about Lara, the history and the exploration of history - mainly EGYPT!

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom079 View Post
    LARA

I love LS - I believe a spin off game would be awesome - but I just don't want it to be he main focus. The bashing and crashing of Doppy is awesome - but it's not the reason I was so captivated by the series. It's all about Lara, the history and the exploration of history - mainly EGYPT!
    I totally agree. I think Doppelganger is awesome and I would love to play as her again. But Lara Croft is the main heroine of this game series and always will be. She could be more 'badass' like the Dopple in my opinion though.
    signature image

I voted doppel.

Don't get me wrong I want Lara to be the lead in all the future TR games, n I'm not sure I would even want the doppel to return cuz she might not even fit in with the storyline. But for those of you who have played her n loved it you can understand my vote.
    "Obsession and compulsion are much the same, we are neither of us our own masters." - Doppelganger.

I wonder if the Doppel with have an identity crisis later on.

She has Lara's memories (I assume) and much of her personality, but she can't have the 2 remaining Manor's or anything else of Lara's even though she may partially feel like they were hers (assuming again that she shares at least some of Lara's memories).

She'll have to get a job (or steal), and do Doppels need to eat and sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Hex-San View Post
    I think I might choose the Doppelganger. My god, she IS Lara Croft. CD's Lara seems to pale in comparison. Unless they bring back her original personality and look, the Doppelganger will always be one step ahead.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

After the whole MOTHER! story line Lara herself has become old and bitter (like Nixon on Futurama) and not that fun to listen to.

Doppleganger (or Shadow Lara) actually has a sadistic humoristic personality. (The level design for LS was more like anniversary too) Like TR3. Kill the pilot and steal the helicopter.

Would I like a whole spinoff? Don't know, I mean people seem to love her better to the hateful Kurtis Trent glich of a character. But that could be because of the frustration of GAMEPLAY controls.

(Keep Lare Croft as the only playable character in the Tomb Raider games)

Quote Originally Posted by CL489 View Post
    Ultimately I think your opinion is a reflection of the type of person you are. Are you the kind of the person that likes the shoot-first-feel-nothing-later kinda character? Then the Doppel is your cup of tea. Like people with real emotions like guilt and compassion? Then Lara is the one for you. Either way, our preferences say way more about us than they do about Lara.
    I dont think its like that, lara has been through some major changes in personality (have u played cores games)

For me its the fact that the doppel has superpowers. plus over the past 13 years ive grown this love for my favourite character, i dont like it if anyone replaces her.

I do understand that LS is DLC and i wouldnt mind if there was doppel related DLC with each new Tomb Raider game, i just dont want doppel related content forced in to every Tomb Raider game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast