Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 Trophy Support

Exclamation PS3 Trophy Support

Konnichiwa.... oh, sorry, I mean hello!

Right.. lots of people have been asking about trophy support for the PS3.

The guys at Crystal have been looking into this for a long time because they really wanted to include it. The good news is that I can confirm that a patch for the PS3 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld is being worked on that will enable Trophy Support.

I don't have an exact date for you yet, this is still hot-off-the-press-community-exclusive-goodness-dripping-with-juices-of-community-love from the TR team at Crystal and Eidos. As soon as I have a concrete date and info, you guys will be the first to know.

Thanks
    Champi

Woot, great news. Thanks, Keir.

Smile

OMG! I can't believe it! Yeee-Haaa! Thank you, this is much appreciated!!
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

Thank you mery much Keir.

Quote Originally Posted by Keir View Post

Right.. lots of people have been asking about trophy support for the PS3.

The guys at Crystal have been looking into this for a long time because they really wanted to include it. The good news is that I can confirm that a patch for the PS3 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld is being worked on that will enable Trophy Support.

I don't have an exact date for you yet, this is still hot-off-the-press-community-exclusive-goodness-dripping-with-juices-of-community-love from the TR team at Crystal and Eidos. As soon as I have a concrete date and info, you guys will be the first to know.
    So, what about the PC verson, give something to PC player also...............
    This is not fair

Thanks, this is great news! Now I will be a much happier customer.

Awesome!
    It's great to know that it's on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keir View Post

Took me a while, but I finally got the joke.

Loool me too, i've just got the joke!
    Champi

I think I get the joke?

(The whole square enix thing?)

Quote Originally Posted by THE_uDeRwOrLd View Post
    I think I get the joke?

(The whole square enix thing?)
    think its the fact that trophies were on Japanese version of TRU before anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly_Disaster View Post
    This is not fair
    i think pcs dont have an awards like ps3s trophie system

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly_Disaster View Post
    This is not fair
    PC players can mod the oufits, which the consoles cannot do.

And make screenshots and videos without a bunch of additional hardware.

Thanks Keir!

This is the closest thing that I've seen to an "official" statement about trophy support for this game, and it sounds promising. I'm looking forward to finally playing this great looking game, but I'm probably still going to hold off my purchase until I hear something a little more substantial (in all honesty, probably until the patch is released).

So keep us in the loop if you hear anything else, and thanks again for breaking the silence.

Are trophies really so important that they would be the deciding factor as to get a game or not? They sound like useless bonus points, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    Are trophies really so important that they would be the deciding factor as to get a game or not? They sound like useless bonus points, to me.
    I know it sounds kinda silly, but yeah they really are that important. Personally speaking, I'm really only after one trophy, and that's the platinum, which is typically the trophy you get after retreiving all the other trophies in a game. For an OCD type gamer like myself, who insists on witnessing every little nook and crannie in the game, on every difficulty, with every ending, there's something really satisfying about receiving an official acknowledgement that you've truly completed the game, and having some virtual proof to back it up. And if you play games that way, you can afford to be choosey about which games you invest your time into, and probably have a substantial backlog of games already staring you in the face. So when I'm deciding on what the next game I'm going to start down that long road with, seemingly insubstantial things like trophy support (and if it has a platinum or not) play a major role in my selection. Given the amount and quality of games that currently support trophies, not to mention those that are impending release, I'm probably not "wasting my time" on one that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Knight View Post

Took me a while, but I finally got the joke.
    Good job Dusk, good job.

Yep. Replayability, and all that jazz.
    Saving is fun, kids! Save constantly.

YES! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!
    The RE5 Versus King

Quote Originally Posted by BestInShowBrian View Post
    I know it sounds kinda silly, but yeah they really are that important. Personally speaking, I'm really only after one trophy, and that's the platinum, which is typically the trophy you get after retreiving all the other trophies in a game. For an OCD type gamer like myself, who insists on witnessing every little nook and crannie in the game, on every difficulty, with every ending, there's something really satisfying about receiving an official acknowledgement that you've truly completed the game, and having some virtual proof to back it up. And if you play games that way, you can afford to be choosey about which games you invest your time into, and probably have a substantial backlog of games already staring you in the face. So when I'm deciding on what the next game I'm going to start down that long road with, seemingly insubstantial things like trophy support (and if it has a platinum or not) play a major role in my selection. Given the amount and quality of games that currently support trophies, not to mention those that are impending release, I'm probably not "wasting my time" on one that doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachie View Post
    Yep. Replayability, and all that jazz.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/ps...tem-explained/
    Trophies then, I guess, are roughly analogous to what the gamerpoint things are for the Xbox360 (PS3 Trophy = 360 Achievement). A system where you can "show off to your mates about what you've achieved in what games you've played". Neat enough if you're playing through the game, I suppose, but it doesn't really seem to be worth replaying through a game, just to get the points. Even worse would be buying a game because of trophies, because that says that the bonus trophy points are worth more than the actual game content itself, a sad message to send to developers. ("It's okay if your game sucks, just put trophies/achievements in it and people will buy").
    As it's the developers deciding what should be done to achieve, I wouldn't think it would be anywhere near as brilliantly challenging as what fans can come up with; such as Speed Running through games, or perhaps Ghosting (through games like Thief) are other examples of fan-based "achievements", although not official, and less structured than the official, I would think those sorts of tasks are worth a lot more than what the devs come out with in terms of Trophies/Achievements...
    But if having a card with a number on it that supposedly says how "good" a gamer you are does it for you, go with that.

I didn't really get the point of trophies or achievements at first. I thought it was just for bragging rights, which really doesn't interest me.

But having a checklist of things I should try to accomplish added a surprising amount of replay value to games like LBP and UDF for me. It might just be my personality type. I also tend to try to track down every single sidequest in an RPG.

At any rate, trophies are not a deal breaker for me, but I enjoy having them officially throw down the gauntlet. Even though I don't care about the bragging rights, it is nice having something to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Knight View Post
    I didn't really get the point of trophies or achievements at first. I thought it was just for bragging rights, which really doesn't interest me.

But having a checklist of things I should try to accomplish added a surprising amount of replay value to games like LBP and UDF for me. It might just be my personality type. I also tend to try to track down every single sidequest in an RPG.

At any rate, trophies are not a deal breaker for me, but I enjoy having them officially throw down the gauntlet. Even though I don't care about the bragging rights, it is nice having something to show for it.
    It's nice having something to show for it... but that should be so auxiliary, rather than a more main feature. It should be more a record than a goal if it's what comes with the game, more like the Stats screens for Core's TR games. Otherwise it seems fairly intrusive to the gameplay experience. (If games are artwork, then trophies are like playing "I Spy" in an art gallery, perhaps).

The checklist of things to try and accomplish should be left with fans, though. Fans can come up with a lot more interesting things than the devs can. I don't suppose TR has quite the diversity needed for more interesting goals, but there is some fun to be had. A camera would've been a great way to add to the post-game fun. (Like the 'take a pic of a shark w/ sticky grenade on the nose' type thing).

Thank you. It's really nice to have trophies in my favourite game.
    'There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory.' - Sir Francis Drake, 1587

Big Grin

(Like the 'take a pic of a shark w/ sticky grenade on the nose' type thing).
    OMG! OMG! OW OW OW!! That HURTS! LOL

Now I really miss the camera!! ..... Ow.

I found the cat walking around with this sticky note stuck to his tail.
    "Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use. --Mark Twain"

Great news!!! Thanks for confirming this. I see that this post is also doing rounds at the official PS3 forums.
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast