Thread: Concerning the email subscription

Concerning the email subscription

How to opt-out of marketing email

Here's what I've tried over the years without success:
    • Unsubscribe link in email
    • Preferences in any account systems
    • Contacting the privacy policy contact address. Currently privacy@esrb.org
    • Talking to a live customer service agent
    • Simply replying to a marketing email asking to opt-out.

So this is my 6th method of attempting to opt-out.

Does anyone know of a way that actually works?

I'm under the impression it's impossible to opt-out of marketing from Square Enix. Except for recently, over the last 2 years I have not purchased a single product because of this and it's likely my last. I am not shy of expressing my complaints with others. I have a habit of submitting these messages to spamcop because legally SE should not market to anyone who has not had contact with the organization for a year and has explicitely opted out.

I didn't start receiving the Square Enix Members emails until a few months ago, but have had similar frustrations attempting to stop them. The unsubscribe link just goes to the main square-enix.com page; the opt-in/out field on my Settings page is totally ineffective; and a support ticket I filed has gone completely unacknowledged.

If anyone knows of any working method of unsubscribing, I would love to know about it.

In the US, the CAN-SPAM Act stipulates that any email whose primary purpose is advertisement/commercial promotion (which these emails certainly are) must provide an opt-out mechanism that removes the recipient from the sender's mailing list within 10 business days. It also stipulates that the method by which a recipient can opt-out must be obvious. Failing to comply with these stipulations can incur serious fines.

Since the advertised methods of unsubscribing aren't functional, I have to assume that there's some other way which I've missed (or, that an honest technical mistake is preventing the mechanism from working). Otherwise, I can only resort to filing a complaint with the FTC (https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov).

Why was this moved to Members Site Feedback? This is a bug, this ought to be in the forum it originated in.

Final Attempt to be removed from your marketing

Okay, about a week ago, I sent a notice to Square Enix through your help system, to be removed from receiving mailings from your company. I had already unchecked the box in my profile about not receiving further offers, but that did not stop me getting a Thief pre order notice. And today, I got a notice for Final Fantasy X/X-2.

This is the last of three attempts I am making to be removed from your marketing service. If I receive another email advertisement notification from Square Enix, I am forwarding it and any future emails to the FTC, and the BBB.

Exclamation "Unsubscribe | Edit Your Subscription" needs fixing. Op out of email.

The "Unsubscribe | Edit Your Subscription" button on the bottom of your emails DO NOT work, and is only taking me to your home page. Please fix this, I am tired of receiving these kind of emails.

My unsolicited policy since Square Enix refuses to stop spamming.

Tealus's Unsolicited Idea and Content Submission Policy

In this Policy Statement references to “Tealus”, “us”, we” and similar expressions refers to Tealus.

We wish to avoid any potential disputes or misunderstandings when a future release of ours is coincidently similar to an idea or work you sent us. Therefore, Tealus and its employees do not accept or consider unsolicited creative works or ideas, including ideas for new games, movies, television programs, and marketing campaigns.

Please do not submit any unsolicited creative works, games, film scripts, storyboards, treatments, code, plotlines, dialogue, artwork, music, ideas, inventions, concepts or other works in any form (collectively “Material”) to Tealus. If you fail to abide by this request and still send us your idea or creative work, the following terms shall apply to your submission regardless of what your cover letter or email might state or any contrary terms you may purport to apply or to any statements including as to confidentiality contained on or in any Material submitted:

Since we do not wish to receive or hold any Material either ‘in confidence’ or at all, you acknowledge and agree that:

1. Any Material, which you choose to submit to us, is disclosed at your discretion and has not been solicited by us.

2. We shall not accept any Material under any obligations of confidentiality nor will our consideration of the Material give rise to any relationship of confidence between us. We shall be free to use and disclose any ideas and information contained within the Material (or any similar ideas or information) without restriction and without compensation to you;

3. By disclosing Material to us; you do not grant any rights to us under existing or future patents, designs or copyrights. You agree to rely solely on any patent, copyright or design rights that you may obtain or hold to protect your Material and accordingly, you will not at any time institute any legal proceedings or take any other action against us or our distributors, licensees or other customers on the basis that the disclosure was confidential;

4. We continually invent, develop, license and acquire new ideas and materials within our business and you acknowledge that we may already have developed or be developing or have contemplated our own ideas, concepts and intellectual properties which are identical or similar to the Material which you have disclosed to us. We assume no obligation to inform you of this fact nor shall we enter into any correspondence in relation to any Material which is received.

5. We shall not be under any obligation to acknowledge receipt of any Material nor do we commit to make any efforts to acknowledge receipt of any Material.

6. We do not accept any duty of care in respect of any Material. You should always retain a copy of the Material which is sent to us. We accept no liability for loss or other damage to the physical material submitted by you.

7. We are under no obligation to read or evaluate the Material.

8. We do not assume any obligation to return Material to you and we may destroy all Material without reference to you. We may at our discretion keep an original or copy of all or any part of the Material and/or any accompanying letter as evidence of receipt and we may retain your personal details without limitation of time for such purpose.

Accordingly, please do not send us any Material for any purpose whatsoever unless you understand and agree to the above terms.

The terms and conditions of this Policy Statement may not be modified or waived except in writing signed by one of our officers, duly authorized to do so.

I don't want advertising crammed down my throat by a profit driven motive. It's insulting to me. It's insulting to anyone who has created products they are proud of.

I'm not into advertising but here's how I see it. Manipulation. At least now and for some time to come. When will the leap be made to valuable information? Stop forcing these "creative works, games, film scripts"... etc into a numbers game and give me control. If I don't want to see it don't take it personal. If I'm passionate about a product then give me a gateway to more. At the very least fix the unsubscribe button.

By the way I cancelled my SquareEnix account for about 2 years which didn't work either. It did however cut back on most marketing email. I shouldn't have to say it but having to outright cancel the account in order to opt-out of email is not a tenable solution. Too bad as a last resort it doesn't do the trick.

mailing list unsubscribe link doesnt work

Please direct me to a working link to unsubscribe from the mailing list. http://link.email-square-enix.com/u....ytxN8vyeRK=101 does not work.

That's pretty shady, if you ask me.

Square Enix please stop spamming

I have called customer service support about this issue and nothing gets resolved. I continue to receive emails from your company despite unchecking the box in my account preferences. This is considered SPAM.. You are a legitimate company and should offer a honest way for users to refuse to be emailed. Your system is currently not working as it should. Please stop sending me emails. I like playing some of your games, I don't like getting emailed...

I am with him on this one cuz I have two e-mail accounts that receive these e-mails and it is very annoying from a legit company. I really don't wanna push y'all into the spam/junk folder but if I have to I will. If you can please fix this ASAP.

This is bs quit sending me your emails!

10 days after you first contact customer support, submit a complaint here to the FTC for spam.

It is illegal for Square to not act upon unsubscription notifications within ten days and not having a working unsubscribe process for their advertisements, Square knows this is a problem, they know a lot of people are having this problem for up to a month now and they obviously don't care since they continue to send out advertisements.

If enough people complain and they continue to do nothing about it then they can be hit with a couple hundred thousand dollars fine (It depends on how long they don't act on this) and possibly jail time. If that doesn't get them to straighten up their act then I do not know what will.

Can't confirm if it worked since I just tried it, but I found an unsubscribe-link in the headers of the email.
    It was in the format of:
    List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:squareenixxxxxxxxxxx@email-square-enix.com?subject=unsubscribe>

You can get the header information by viewing the message source. I used Thunderbird so Ctrl+U did the trick. Once you get that, my guess is that you can send an email to the address with the subject of unsubscribe and it will take you off the list of whatever service they use to send out emails. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Cognus
    Can't confirm if it worked since I just tried it, but I found an unsubscribe-link in the headers of the email.
    It was in the format of:
    List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:squareenixxxxxxxxxxx@email-square-enix.com?subject=unsubscribe>

You can get the header information by viewing the message source. I used Thunderbird so Ctrl+U did the trick. Once you get that, my guess is that you can send an email to the address with the subject of unsubscribe and it will take you off the list of whatever service they use to send out emails. Good luck.
    Wow, the bare minimum not to get blacklisted by spam filters and invalidating spam reports while still not letting users conveniently unsubscribe.

I still made a report though, its disgusting.

Since I've contacted customer support twice and nothing has changed, I can only assume that Square Enix is going to continue to spam me (and the rest of us). I will be reporting each and every email to the FTC. If this continues another month, I will take Square Enix to small claims court as a spammer. Since they won't bother to show up, I'll win. When they refuse to pay, I'll have the sheriff of Los Angeles County arrest the highest management person of Square Enix North America as a convicted spammer.

Or Square Enix can stop sending emails to people that UNCHECKED the box.

Originally Posted by Cognus
    It was in the format of:

Man I hope that this works. I've had a support ticket open with them for over 2 weeks, and i just get yet another email every few days saying they should get to my support ticket soon. I've started hate posting on their facebook pages. I absolutely despise this company by now - i have no games linked to this account and yet I can't even just outright delete the account either. I have been left with no options but lots of spam. If this reply-to unsubscribe works I will be eternally grateful. I wish someone would get a lawyer to draft up a letter warning legal action if they continue to send me unsolicited email.s

I too can't unsubscribe. You can file a complaint to the FTC.

Since my previous request to stop spamming went nowhere, my new unsolicited policy

Tealus's Unsolicited Idea and Content Submission Policy

In this Policy Statement references to “Tealus”, “us”, we” and similar expressions refers to Tealus. "you" and similar expressions refers to Square Enix LTD.

We wish to avoid any potential disputes or misunderstandings when a future release of ours is coincidently similar to an idea or work you sent us. Therefore, Tealus and its employees do not accept or consider unsolicited creative works or ideas, including ideas for new games, movies, television programs, and marketing campaigns.

Please do not submit any unsolicited creative works, games, film scripts, storyboards, treatments, code, plotlines, dialogue, artwork, music, ideas, inventions, concepts or other works in any form (collectively “Material”) to Tealus. If you fail to abide by this request and still send us your idea or creative work, the following terms shall apply to your submission regardless of what your cover letter or email might state or any contrary terms you may purport to apply or to any statements including as to confidentiality contained on or in any Material submitted:

Since we do not wish to receive or hold any Material either ‘in confidence’ or at all, you acknowledge and agree that:

1. Any Material, which you choose to submit to us, is disclosed at your discretion and has not been solicited by us.

2. We shall not accept any Material under any obligations of confidentiality nor will our consideration of the Material give rise to any relationship of confidence between us. We shall be free to use and disclose any ideas and information contained within the Material (or any similar ideas or information) without restriction and without compensation to you;

3. By sending Material to us; you are freely surrendering any copyrights, trademarks, or any other rights of said Material to us.

Accordingly, please do not send us any Material for any purpose whatsoever unless you understand and agree to the above terms.

The terms and conditions of this Policy Statement may not be modified or waived except in writing signed by one of our officers, duly authorized to do so.

I started getting their news letters about 6 months ago, and I've had a SE account for like 4 years. Why did it start now?! I'm really irritated that they haven't fixed this issue yet. I've came across 4 other threads that rant about this same issue and to no avail has it been resolved. Spam list it is then... Sorry, I'm not sorry SE; its you, not me.

no way to unsubscribe from mailing ilst

Have you ever tried applying rules and filters to your Email address? Auto filter out the SE mails. job done.

Update on this-- it seems like, whatever issue had been preventing the "unsubscribe" links from working, has been fixed.

On February 26th I received a "Square Enix Members Monthly Newsletter" email, from which I clicked the unsubscribe link. I haven't received any more email from Square Enix since that time. There have been sufficient events since then, which I have not been emailed about - the Final Fantasy X re-release, the PC release of Deus Ex: The Fall, online store sales, etc. - that I believe the unsubscription was successful.

unsubscribing from marketing email

I've been trying to unsubscribe for more than 10 years. Every opt-out capability SE provides is fake. Has anyone been able to get them to stop sending marketing email?

Yes I have tried the following:
    unsubscribing from a number of systems they've had over the years
    contacting support via email, phone, live support
    the methods outlined in privacy policies
    cancelling my SE accounts
    filing a formal complaint with the FTC
    submitting every marketing email to spam@uce.gov
    submitting every marketing email to spamcop.net

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last