Thread: Wii controls - help pulling switches

Question Wii controls - help pulling switches

I've always played Tomb Raider on my Mac, but I just got a Wii and ordered Tomb Raider Underworld. I'm getting the hang of the controls, but I just can't get Laura to pull a switch!

I know it says to "Raise the two controllers with your thumbs pointing toward each other. Then move them downward as though pulling a switch" I just can't get it to work... I just end up waving my arms around until eventually something happens.

Can anyone be more specific... it's kind of frustrating..

Also...I also got a strange bug in LEVEL 1: MEDITERRANEAN SEA - PART 2: NIFLHEIM

I got Lara on the platform with the switch and hit "–" and she just started dancing around on the platform....She eventually stopped when I hit "–" to make her crouch, but it was very strange.

Well, it's exactly like that. You don't need to raise your hands a lot, nor you need to make a huge motion: just raise both hands as if you were gripping a lever just like Lara is and pull "it" down.

I really suck at giving descriptions of the gestures, so if you need something more graphic tell me and I'll provide some pictures, lol.

Thanks

Thanks Treeble,

Actually a picture would help!

Does it matter which side of the remotes are facing the sensor bar? top? sides?
    Do the remotes have to touch?

Such a simple gesture, and I just can't get it working.

Thanks

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by smmraz View Post
    Thanks Treeble,

Actually a picture would help!

Does it matter which side of the remotes are facing the sensor bar? top? sides?
    Do the remotes have to touch?

Such a simple gesture, and I just can't get it working.

Thanks

Susan
    The Wii remote works by sensing infrared light from the sensor bar (as well as using an accelerometer), so I would imagine you would want the infra-red sensor pointing at the Sensor Bar.

Actually, the controllers don't have to be pointing to the sensor bar. I think this particular action relies on the motion itself.

My sister is not much of a photographer (and I'm not much of a model either, lol), so I hope this picture will suffice. It's heavily cropped to protect the innocent.

So, once you get the controllers in that position, just bring them down and Lara will do the same ingame. (I was facing the television/sensor bar, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    The Wii remote works by sensing infrared light from the sensor bar (as well as using an accelerometer), so I would imagine you would want the infra-red sensor pointing at the Sensor Bar.
    Reasonable, but incorrect.

Basically, you want to "pretend" you are Lara and pull the switch as she would -- imagine that the Wii-mote and the Nunchuk are part of the same bar. Then slowly push down on the "bar." It's not a fast, jerky motion, which might be throwing you off. It's a rather slow and deliberate action.

I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks for your help. I'm getting it...still never on the first try, but getting better. The Picture helped!