Thread: Windows 7 beta and TR

Windows 7 beta and TR

I'm one of the children who are beta testing MS's new OS, Windows 7. Really pleased so far. I'm playing with both the 32 and the 64 versions.
    Downloaded and been playing my Steam version of Underworld on the 64 bit version. So far Underworld is running beautifully and haven't had any problems out of it.
    Going to download it onto the 32bit version later and try it out there

Going to use the advanced installer and Vista patch to see if I can get TR1-6 to run on it. Won't know untill I try.

Good luck with TR1, especially.

If you're testing stuff on latest windows, also try out XP savegame files working with some of the older games. (I doubt it will work, as it fails with Vista, but it would be worth the try).

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    Good luck with TR1, especially.

If you're testing stuff on latest windows, also try out XP savegame files working with some of the older games. (I doubt it will work, as it fails with Vista, but it would be worth the try).
    I'd have to see what I have left on the old XP rig to see if I have anything I could use. Only have a few games that don't like multicore processors running on it, or haven't been able to get securom patches for them yet. Everything else runs fine under Vista32. I was able to get TR4 running last night on Win7 64. When did TR switch to 32bit-- TR2 or TR3, don't remember. I'll give it a try RG.

One thing I noticed as different between Vista and Xp and of course Win7 was the names of the files are different. Makes it hard to find saves sometimes.

LOL TR1----- Yah I know. Been trying. I know its 16 bit but I figured if I could just get it to install I could run it in emulation using Glidos and such or DosBox. Because Win7 has emulation all the way back to Win95. It has been no go so far. Was going to install DosBox but someone hacked their site and they are temorarly down. I have the file but have lost the instructions. So couldn't go that route yet .

Quote Originally Posted by GoLarago View Post
    I'd have to see what I have left on the old XP rig to see if I have anything I could use...
    I was meaning saves like the one on Stella's site, tombraiders.net/, etc.

I was meaning saves like the one on Stella's site, tombraiders.net/, etc.
    Oh forgot all about them. Bad me, OK

The reason I ask is because there're people on vista who have trouble using the XP saves from Stella's site. Knowing whether XP saves work or not is helpful.

Trying from Vista savegames, if you could, would be nice as well. If the vista saves work, then it could mean that there only needs to be an update of the saves for Vista, and then the savegames will work on Win7. (I don't think anyone has savegames for vista. You'll have to save at some random point somewhere in a level and try to load them. I'll assume they work if they load "properly").

The reason I ask is because there're people on vista who have trouble using the XP saves from Stella's site. Knowing whether XP saves work or not is helpful.
    Trying from Vista savegames, if you could, would be nice as well. If the vista saves work, then it could mean that there only needs to be an update of the saves for Vista, and then the savegames will work on Win7. (I don't think anyone has savegames for vista. You'll have to save at some random point somewhere in a level and try to load them. I'll assume they work if they load "properly").

Ok I'm playing Aod and TR4 I think on Vista32. I got TR4 installed and running on Win7 64 last night before bed. So I'll see if I can fast forward the Win7 64 game and also try it out on the Win32.

Okay , success I was able to copy all twelve of my Vista 32 savegames for TR The Last Revelation to Win7 64. I loaded about half of them and they came up running fine nothing corrupted. Still going to check on the XP but not holding out alot of hpoe if they didn't run on Vista.

OK the pre-Vista save games for Chronicles that I down loaded from Stellas site ran fine on Win7 64 bit. Slipped them into the save folder and loaded them up. Loaded up several from the subbase level. I still need to try it out on 32 bit but since I'll be getting the 64 bit version (already have Vista32) I'm not quite as interested in it. On a sad note AoD will not install at all on Win7 64. It's odd since its a XP game. Not even using emulation. Really odd since TR 2 thru 5 install and play fine.Well nothings perfect.