Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: RIP Batman (1939-2008)

RIP Batman (1939-2008)

  1. #1

    RIP Batman (1939-2008)

    Spoilers like crazy. Be wary.

    Well, after over a year and a half of foreshadowing, DC comics has done it. Bruce Wayne is now officially dead, or so it seems.

    The circumstances of his death are kind of convoluted. Contrary to expectations, the long running Batman RIP storyline has pretty much nothing to do with Bats' death. Basically, he dies in the Final Crisis storyline, where Darkseid has a full on onslaught against the Earth, and has taken control of most of the planet. Batman confronts him after the Batman RIP storyline and, deciding after 6-7 decades (excluding his first couple appearances) to violate both his rule against killing and his hatred against guns just this once, shoots Darkseid with a god-killing bullet just as Darkseid incinerates him with his own attack.

    Something tells me this would've been a great send of to lots of other characters (Mister Miracle comes to mind), but not Batman. It seems... off, even without the whole "Batman shoots to kill" bit. Darkseid stories have a habit of hijacking other storylines and taking center stage, and making Darkseid the most important thing in the DC universe, but, while the others work to a varying degree, this doesn't really fit right. Batman may face off against Darkseid with the Justice League, but he's more of a Superman enemy, and having Bats make that sacrifice seems kind of... forced. As if they realized too late that he didn't die in Batman RIP and figured they had to do it somehow.

  2. #2
    There's still 1 issue to see

  3. #3
    Also there's the way in which he was killed; last time someone was killed with omega beams they were actually sent back in time. He may be out there still, only the next issue will tell. =P

  4. #4
    They're apparently planning a storyline around finding the successor for the role of Batman. It's called "The Battle For The Cowl" or something.

  5. #5
    Jason Todd should become the new batman. Nightwing stays where he is, Tim Drake should become Red Robin and then you have a possible new robin

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by TheManWhoLaughs
    Jason Todd should become the new batman. Nightwing stays where he is, Tim Drake should become Red Robin and then you have a possible new robin
    I don't think Jason would quite fit. He's much too aggressive and impulsive to really fill Bats' shoes, even if he's less of a nut than he was during Under The Hood. Nightwing, I think, was really meant to go on his own and have his own stories, so you're right, he should stay. But Tim has been foreshadowed and alluded as being a successor to death, really.

    Really, though, I don't think a Batman successor would work. Most of the biggest villains and storylines for Batman are tailor made as counters to Bruce Wayne's psyche, and they really should've patched up things with the city of Gotham before doing this. Having him killed by Darkseid leaves lots of loose ends.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    Batman is "death is life" his corporeal form seems pretty decomposed but he is out there somewhere, he is living a life where all dramatic happens and when he dies, he gets to same even more dramatic issues and so on, so his fate like Grant Morrison said was: worse than death.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by HystericFreak
    Also there's the way in which he was killed; last time someone was killed with omega beams they were actually sent back in time. He may be out there still, only the next issue will tell. =P
    I think his charred corpse on the last page says different.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,649
    Superman was dead. Captain America has died (but I bet you they bring him back, not just have someone to take up his mantle). Bruce Wayne is coming back, I am sure. They didn't even need to do this for sales, so it must've been just a really great concept they wanted to play out. Either way, if there's anything ever that's a constant in the world of comics, it's that no-one really ever stays truly dead, and you never know what they might bring back and throw away, as far as continuity...

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by The Hylden
    Superman was dead. Captain America has died (but I bet you they bring him back, not just have someone to take up his mantle). Bruce Wayne is coming back, I am sure. They didn't even need to do this for sales, so it must've been just a really great concept they wanted to play out. Either way, if there's anything ever that's a constant in the world of comics, it's that no-one really ever stays truly dead, and you never know what they might bring back and throw away, as far as continuity...
    No-one ever truly dies in comics ... 'cept for Bucky Barnes.

  11. #11
    And Uncle Ben

    In terms of new arcs and comics, I'd be very welcoming of a high detailed account of Bruce Wayne's life before Batman. I'm not very pleased with Batman dying and using a gun.

    Imho, Batman was dead the second he decided using the gun was okay.

    Still, is Darkseid dead?

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Chimaera
    And Uncle Ben

    In terms of new arcs and comics, I'd be very welcoming of a high detailed account of Bruce Wayne's life before Batman. I'm not very pleased with Batman dying and using a gun.

    Imho, Batman was dead the second he decided using the gun was okay.

    Still, is Darkseid dead?
    Yeah. Darkseid is, apparently, dead for good.

    I agree about how Batman using a gun "just this once" is such a departure of character. Really, I don't too much mind Batman dying, because none of the DC heroes could have lasted forever, and the death of a hero gives us a chance to look at the hero in a different way, in a reflective way, and truly as a shadow. It also gives the opportunity for tons of character development for those who are still alive.

    However, the circumstances of his death just don't fit the character. If you're going to kill such a legendary character, you should at least give him a proper send off. This is so... out of place, like the whole Batman mythos was hijacked by Darkseid and dominated by his plotline.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    Think about it this way:

    Darkseid is the source of all evil, he is the god of evil. He is the evil Batman has been fightning for his whole life, and he ends it the same way as Joe Chill ended his parents, thats the joke, he got the evil he was hunting for.

  14. #14
    Isn't this what Bat's has been fighting for all this time, to wipe out evil? But, this is misguided because with Darkseid dead doesn't mean all evil is gone. It will still be there.

  15. #15
    you know what would suck but be a relief for fans? if it wasn't bruce and someone else shot darkseide and got killed in the bat suit. people would like the fact that bruce is alive but it almost would be like a waste of time as in all of this was just batman hype and was pointless. If he really is dead, we all know Bruce will be back because "no one is really dead in comics"

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    Originally Posted by P N Gwinn
    Isn't this what Bat's has been fighting for all this time, to wipe out evil? But, this is misguided because with Darkseid dead doesn't mean all evil is gone. It will still be there.
    Ofcourse, but there wouldn't be any good left unless someone had stopped Darkseid, Batman did 3 awesome things:

    1) Ended his cycle the way it started: a gun
    2) he killed a GOD, i mean how epic is that?
    3) he saves the whole planet from that anti-life thing Darkseid does.

    PS. I still don't see why people call these a waste of time or pointless, you guys just wanna read the same ol' same story Batman comics and leave story progression completely out? >_>

  17. #17
    What about Terry (Batman Beyond) I thought Bruce lives till he is an old man and has Terry be the new Batman

  18. #18
    Sorry pal thats the Animated Universe

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by Drazar
    Ofcourse, but there wouldn't be any good left unless someone had stopped Darkseid, Batman did 3 awesome things:

    1) Ended his cycle the way it started: a gun
    2) he killed a GOD, i mean how epic is that?
    3) he saves the whole planet from that anti-life thing Darkseid does.

    PS. I still don't see why people call these a waste of time or pointless, you guys just wanna read the same ol' same story Batman comics and leave story progression completely out? >_>
    Batman using a gun may be awesome... but it's pretty much prime character derailment. I think Batman's send off would've been better if he'd died the way he lived.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    You know the Omega Beam is worse than just his body turning into a pile of corpse and dust, he is now in a spirital state where he lives the horrors of his life and then dies, only to see the same thing happen again and worse. :P So yeah i can imagen him seeing his parents die in the most disgusting ways ever.

  21. #21
    Just for anyone who wants to know whats about to happen
    There's a whole Battle for the Cowl going on during March or April I think, but it looks as though Nightwing and Robin will defend the city until the time for that comes. Check DC website for comic covers that give you summary's etc.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    Someone wanna explain the end of final crisis #7 to me? :P

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by Drazar
    Someone wanna explain the end of final crisis #7 to me? :P
    check out my thread to get the answer and by the way "no one truely dies in comics" it's the law of comic books so 1939-2008 that's not true, they don't stay dead.

  24. #24
    batman lifes on in all r hearts

  25. #25
    Bruce will be back.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last