Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider Series getting another reboot!

Unhappy Tomb Raider Series getting another reboot!

This artcle says that Eidos Interactive is conisdering handing Tomb Raider over to another developer! They want to make a new female friendly Lara Croft! http://www.destructoid.com/lara-crof...--117638.phtml
    I was a fool...I thought the plants were in pain, now I realize they were evolving, growing stonger,...and now we'll grow together!

Female friendly? What is that supposed to mean? I love the way Lara looks!!! She is not the one to blame for the poor sales. Everyone knows whose fault it is.

Yes, this was discussed earlier in a thread that "disappeared" for understandable reasons.

But this supports the various points I've made that have been met with such criticism. The bottom line is, Tomb Raider is not "just fine" at the current moment. The franchise does need to be shaken up in order to achieve new heights.

I am disappointed this probably means the end of the storyline started in Legend. But it at least looks like Eidos gets the message -- a "back to basics" emphasis doesn't work in today's world of gaming. Lara needs to keep evolving.

The article talks about "rebooting" the franchise like Batman. Note that successful reboots have always put an emphasis on developing character and story. This ought to be one area the next game improves upon, in addition to whatever other changes are made to Tomb Raider. Take the innovative trends that were successfully started in Legend, and keep pushing them to get to someplace new and fresh.

But I hope Tomb Raider remains at least recognizable in its next iteration -- I'd hate to see it turned into a FPS or something like that.

I laugh at the "Female friendly" thing. Finally CD is getting good feedback for the most part, and now they are changing again.

My guess is political correctness strikes again. Lets see: she will be skinny as a boy, spout feminist propaganda at every turn, hate and despise men, be touchy feelly, be president and CEO of 90 companies, ( help me here trying to come up with more really stupid stereo -types).
    Honestly bad jokes aside how could she not be girl friendly. I always held her up as a positive example to my daughter that you can do almost anything if you set your mind to it and aren't a total loon. Shes pretty ,smart, athletic, independent, rich , how is that not girl friendly.

Female friendly?
    You've gotta be kidding me...

Female Friendly:

Take Adrian Paul and put him in a TR game and you have it.

(I love AP with all my heart...)
    Villa, villa.

WHAT!!!!!!!, is the WORLD going MAD!!!!!!!!! this is crazy the best tomb raider game comes out and thats not good enough. EIDOS the game sold 1.5 MILLION copies for CROFT SAKE. Forget about batman I could care less about arkam asylum, I want Lara.

All these years I blamed myself and it was you, you killed her.!!!!!!!!!!

STOP BLAMM BEING BLAMM SO BLAMM GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    She is not the one to blame for the poor sales. Everyone knows whose fault it is.
    The source article says it in a different way...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5485017.ece
    Mr Brent said: “Europe was fine, but America was not as anticipated. You would normally expect Tomb Raider sales to be split half and half between Europe and North America, but this time America was considerably below that.”

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    The source article says it in a different way...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5485017.ece
    I guess that's why they're blaming things on the global crisis. But that article points out that other game franchises are doing great business despite economic troubles.

Case in point: as best I could determine, it looks like sales of Call of Duty: World at War have been exceeding or at least matching those of Call of Duty 4. This, despite the fact World at War is set in WWII (which some FPS fans are getting tired of) and the game was made by Treyarch (which some Call of Duty fans believe can't make a good game).

The article also gives hard numbers - Legend will likely outperform Underworld, by as much as a million units or more. In the US, at least, Legend was boosted by the fresh take on the franchise, which led to good reviews and word of mouth. That's why I'm (a bit) disappointed in Underworld, because it didn't carry on those factors that revitalized Tomb Raider here. The results in the US thus aren't surprising.

I do wonder exactly what "female friendly" means in this setting, though. It causes me some concern that Eidos might be throwing in the towel and just goes for a (relative) niche market. "Female friendly" in gaming usually involves romance, fashion, and interactivity in the form of chat/IM, that sort of thing. I just wonder how well that fits with Lara as we've known her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

I do wonder exactly what "female friendly" means in this setting, though. It causes me some concern that Eidos might be throwing in the towel and just goes for a (relative) niche market. "Female friendly" in gaming usually involves romance, fashion, and interactivity in the form of chat/IM, that sort of thing. I just wonder how well that fits with Lara as we've known her.
    Agreed. Will be a total let down and ruin Lara's character were they to go the route you just mentioned

Read the article and you will want to throw up. Add romance into the game? God please please no more Kurtus types please It's Tombraider not a Sim dating game. If Underworld didn't sell to its liking that is EIdos fault for shoving it out too soon. Eidos needs to stop blaming CD and your freaking customers ( you know the ones that buy your games, remember us),and take personal responsibility for it's own crappy management decisions. Get up off your asses and give us some real cutting edge tomb raiding utilizing really wicked puzzles, traps and real modern combat.You know the kind with duck and cover, blind fire. Hell lets just forget the T rating; lets go M and have blood spray and giblets a flying around too.

We won't need no girls then. Make it bloody enough and any boy 8 years and above will buy it. Problem solved 50 million copies sold. Instant hit.

Most girls probably don't want to see Lara "female friendly", myself included.
    Keep her badass.

I agree with you, GoLargo. I'm also starting to see the pattern. I don't think the developers are the problem. It's Eidos that's acting funny. Core, CD: both great developers. Both taking the blame and picking up Eidos's slack. If anything, they seem to be the root of the problem. Maybe switching publishers won't be as bad of a decision as I thought. The minute Lara gets all girly and frilly, I'm out. It would totally ruin the series for me. She's a strong, independent, kickass woman...with big guns. That's how I'd like her to remain.

I'd like her to beat down, not break down.

Ahhh, it burns.
    x______________________X

Quote Originally Posted by LC is Me View Post
    [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][CENTER][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
    The minute Lara gets all girly and frilly, I'm out. It would totally ruin the series for me. She's a strong, independent, kickass woman...with big guns. That's how I'd like her to remain.

I'm with you on that

Hmm Eidos is certainly losing touch with what makes Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider. The Character of LAra is why we love he, and if they're thinking about making her more feminine they should just look at the uproar from the fans when that happened in Legend.

This is a classic Eidos evaluation, instead of looking at heir own problems they blame the developers and the game play. The Fact that the game play in both TRA and TRU was miles upon miles better than Legend doesn't matter to them. They look only at numbers and sales not player and developer opinions. Because Legend sold more copies than TRA and TRU means that is what TR must be now is ludicrous- Didn't anyone at Eidos stop to think that the reason that TRA didn't sell as well is because the fans didn't like Legend enough to buy it? And the reason that TRU hasn't sold well is because the Wii version was a well documented dud and because the PS2 verison hasn't been released yet?

If Eidos do change Lara and TR too much then they're gonna find that they're gonna lose a hell of a lot more fans than they are gonna make out of it. Namely, we the Hard core fans. We who have stuck with Lara through 2 rejuvinations and a hell of a lot of crap and Eidos made a failing play to bring in the Casual gamers might just abandon it this time round if it goes too far!

TR doesn;t need an over haul, it needs tweaking and refining and a successful marriage of what made old TR succesful and what makes new TR successful. Obviously Eidos isn't interested in this and i'm sorta hoping we can get TR away from them as quick as possible now!
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

Hey everyone Lara will be looking like Ellen Degenorise in the next Tomb Raider game.

The minute Lara gets all girly and frilly, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    I'm with you on that
    As am I. Poor Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJess View Post
    As am I. Poor Lara.
    I know, Legend lara was too much for me. I'd hate to have to see the series go through that much of a change. IT would be heartbreaking. I mean i moaned and said it was bad with what CD did to TR with Legend but this makes Legend seem heavenly
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay119 View Post
    I know, Legend lara was too much for me. I'd hate to have to see the series go through that much of a change. IT would be heartbreaking. I mean i moaned and said it was bad with what CD did to TR with Legend but this makes Legend seem heavenly
    I think its more along the lines of what EIDOS did to Lara rather than CD, CD take orders from EIDOS and have to produce what they tell them to.

Hm well at least they have comfirmed that there will be more tomb raider games.

I just don't get it, why didn't TRU sell. the game was remarkable, and outstanding but got lost because of foolish games like gears and fallout witch was highly overated. Eidos has it all wrong, it's not lara, it's the gamers, the gamers just don't know a genuine game when they see one.

I think sales will increase since the ps2 version is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pinpal View Post
    Hm well at least they have comfirmed that there will be more tomb raider games.
    Yes but at what cost

Yes but at what cost
    The cost of it's fans to make more money.

They'll ultimately be causing their own demise if everyone shares the same opinion on a more "female friendly" Lara.

I think its more along the lines of what EIDOS did to Lara rather than CD, CD take orders from EIDOS and have to produce what they tell them to.
    Yeah i guess you're right. If you look back you can see that what CD originally had planned for Legend; the gameplay and Lara model were so much better than what we actually got. And i have just added to the whole 'Developers and gamers get blamed for the publishers mistakes' deal....Damnit

Sorry CD

Yes but at what cost
    The cost of it's fans to make more money.

They'll ultimately be causing their own demise if everyone shares the same opinion on a more "female friendly" Lara.
    Which by the sounds of thing we all do!

Quote Originally Posted by cgtombraider View Post
    This artcle says that Eidos Interactive is conisdering handing Tomb Raider over to another developer! They want to make a new female friendly Lara Croft! http://www.destructoid.com/lara-crof...--117638.phtml
    Probably for the best. I think CD did a poor job with the last 2 games. Legend was great but after that was dissapointing

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird87 View Post
    Probably for the best. I think CD did a poor job with the last 2 games. Legend was great but after that was dissapointing
    They were great games but cut short due to EIDOS and the financial troubles, if you look at the amount that was cut from Legend and was cut from Underworld. It's quite easy to see that its EIDOS and not the developers fault. I hate to agree with the people who'm ive always been in DIS-agreement with, but I think they were right with the whole CORE/EIDOS scenario because the same one is playing out in this situation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast