Thread: King George V problems (PC)

King George V problems (PC)

King George V problems (PC)

I noticed in many Steel Monsters fights, the KGV class is absurdly easy to destroy. In a series of test fights, I found that the KGV leaks whenever hit by a BB shell whether or not the superstructure had been destroyed, something all the other lower armoured battleships don't do. Is this a glitch?

Have you set up your repairs? I haven't noticed anything similar to that.

Originally Posted by R&R BC
    I noticed in many Steel Monsters fights, the KGV class is absurdly easy to destroy. In a series of test fights, I found that the KGV leaks whenever hit by a BB shell whether or not the superstructure had been destroyed, something all the other lower armoured battleships don't do. Is this a glitch?
    Nope, KGV's just suck.

Yes, I do set up repairs. Even in Strike on the Monster, the final KGV is the easiest BB to sink by far compared to the Renown and NY.

I agree completely.The King George class is really a terrible battleship.Just another terrible unbalanced map( why would you put the CL atlanta on this map?)

Probably an attempt to balance out the generally superior Japanese BBs, namely Fuso and Yamashiro.

Originally Posted by Dremora Warlord
    Nope, KGV's just suck.
    In-game, hell yeah. Its so bad that once when I was playing on Steel Monsters one of the players told me to put my full health KGV behind his full health New York so I didn't get knocked out right at the start. In-game, any of the other three BB types on Steel Monsters is preferable to a KGV, when in real life the KGV is the most heavily armoured and armed battleship of the lot, and with a top speed of 29kts is only slightly slower than a Kongo class battlecruiser.

If I'm not wrong, KGV's armour actually equalled or surpassed Iowas.

In Steel Monsters, the Fuso is the best BB on the map, due to its heavy broadside, isnt it?

According to the unit identification guide in-game (as well as the strategy guide, as it is simply copied over) POW has only a few points worth more of armour. And unfortunately its broadside is equivalent to that of the average battleship (considering Penn and company) - it's just that these guns are located in giant quad turrets that look amazing. Unfortunately since the destruction of one turret removes 40% of all its primary weaponry, PoW still kinda sucks. It needs more armour, if not better guns.

Well, I hope that the errors can be fixed in BSP or a patch. I really like the KGV.

If I'm not wrong, KGV's armour actually equalled or surpassed Iowas.

In Steel Monsters, the Fuso is the best BB on the map, due to its heavy broadside, isnt it?
    Your right about the KGV's armour, KGV had 15in belt armour to Iowa's 12in, and 6.25in deck armour vs Iowa's 6in. Not only that but KGV's 14in gun is the most powerful 14in gun ever fitted to a battleship, with a slightly heavier shell and considerably better armour penetration than either of the older American or Japanese 14in guns. In fact the RN 14in/45 fitted to KGV is so good that it matches the vertical armour penetration of the US 16in/45 fitted to the South Dakota class, though with a lighter shell it falls short on horizontal armour penetration.

Iowa's 12'' belt was sloped well though. Did Iowa use the same armour scheme and torp protection as the SoDak class?

Kgv

I can't take this KGV bashing much longer.

That map is actually pretty evenly balanced - the advantage/disadvantage of each vessel boils down to it's use by the player. Here's a quick summary of the ships:

NY- WWI battleship, 10 gun broadside, 160 armour, 20kts
    Fuso- WWI battleship, 12 gun broadside, 160 armour, 20kts
    Kongo- WWI battlecruiser, 8 gun broadside, 160 armour, 25kts
    KGV- WWII battleship, 10 gun broadside, 170 armour, 20kts

The only main disadvantages of the KGV are its strict broadside angle (you need to aim at near a right-angle to get a full broad), and the fact that the firepower comes from 3 turrets. Note that statistically, the KGV is identical to the NY, aside from an armour advantage, which it has over all other battleships on the map. Yes it's only 10, but an advantage is still an advantage.

I have found, that ship for ship (and i stress -IF USED APPROPRIATELY), the KGV is equal, if not superior, to its outdated counterparts (especially kongos when used in a straight broadside fight, or 'pissing contest'). On one occasion, i was able to take on down 3 enemy battleships with the Wales alone (the rest of my team had done the most pathetic charge into enemy guns i had ever seen). Granted, the Yamashiro (the last jap battleship) had a gunner who had more trouble hitting a 230m odd target than i, she still nevertheless had a 3 to 1 health advantage (full against about a 3rd of my own), as well as the initial support of the Kongo and Haruna (before they were sunk - individually).

The only battleship that could be possibly out of place, would have to be the Kongo class battlecruiser, but her 5 knot speed advantage can make her invaluable, especially when trying to gain superior positioning - which, afterall, battleship combat is all about.

To re-iterate what i said at the start - victory - it's all down to the player - their fighting style and their choice of positioning.

happy gaming, guys =D

Originally Posted by BenTheImpaler
    I can't take this KGV bashing much longer.

That map is actually pretty evenly balanced - the advantage/disadvantage of each vessel boils down to it's use by the player. Here's a quick summary of the ships:

NY- WWI battleship, 10 gun broadside, 160 armour, 20kts
    Fuso- WWI battleship, 12 gun broadside, 160 armour, 20kts
    Kongo- WWI battlecruiser, 8 gun broadside, 160 armour, 25kts
    KGV- WWII battleship, 10 gun broadside, 170 armour, 20kts

The only main disadvantages of the KGV are its strict broadside angle (you need to aim at near a right-angle to get a full broad), and the fact that the firepower comes from 3 turrets. Note that statistically, the KGV is identical to the NY, aside from an armour advantage, which it has over all other battleships on the map. Yes it's only 10, but an advantage is still an advantage.

I have found, that ship for ship (and i stress -IF USED APPROPRIATELY), the KGV is equal, if not superior, to its outdated counterparts (especially kongos when used in a straight broadside fight, or 'pissing contest'). On one occasion, i was able to take on down 3 enemy battleships with the Wales alone (the rest of my team had done the most pathetic charge into enemy guns i had ever seen). Granted, the Yamashiro (the last jap battleship) had a gunner who had more trouble hitting a 230m odd target than i, she still nevertheless had a 3 to 1 health advantage (full against about a 3rd of my own), as well as the initial support of the Kongo and Haruna (before they were sunk - individually).

The only battleship that could be possibly out of place, would have to be the Kongo class battlecruiser, but her 5 knot speed advantage can make her invaluable, especially when trying to gain superior positioning - which, afterall, battleship combat is all about.

To re-iterate what i said at the start - victory - it's all down to the player - their fighting style and their choice of positioning.

happy gaming, guys =D
    I'm sorry but I've never had either one of those ships go one on one with me and win, not even when I was in the kongo class(and no the Captain wasn't a n00b). If the ship has 170 armour in the game it doesnt show it. I've seen the KGV class ships go to the bottom first in almost every map I've ever played(and 9 times out of 10 its the kongo class putting them down).
    In Game:
    -=)CSF(=-bttleshpman

Iowa's 12'' belt was sloped well though. Did Iowa use the same armour scheme and torp protection as the SoDak class?
    Yes Iowa's belt was sloped at 20 degrees where KGV's was vertical, but British face-hardened armour was superior in performance to American face-hardened armour, which was over hardened to the point of brittleness. Iowa's and South Dakota's protection schemes where nearly identical, in fact, you could call the Iowa a stretched South Dakota with more powerful engines and 16in/50 guns instead of 16in/45s.

Originally Posted by battleshipman
    I'm sorry but I've never had either one of those ships go one on one with me and win, not even when I was in the kongo class(and no the Captain wasn't a n00b). If the ship has 170 armour in the game it doesnt show it. I've seen the KGV class ships go to the bottom first in almost every map I've ever played(and 9 times out of 10 its the kongo class putting them down).
    Right. I once sunk a KGV with 2 salvos from Fuso, though I don't think the other guy had any damage control on, and in general they seem whole easier to sink than any of the other BBs. Also the fire arc of the rear turret is crippling, even the Fuso has a better set of fire arcs.

Originally Posted by battleshipman
    I've never had that happen to me either
    But then again i've rarely had another ship go one on one against me and win period. I think this might have to do with our obsession with this game battleshipman and not the actual units advantage

Originally Posted by -=KS=-DigitizedSoul
    I've never had that happen to me either
    But then again i've rarely had another ship go one on one against me and win period. I think this might have to do with our obsession with this game battleshipman and not the actual units advantage
    Being a more skilled player can offset a huge disadvantage in units or numbers. You might be suprised how many times the Yamato has got sunk by a single New York class on Samar, but then again, considering how long you've been playing this game, probably not.