Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider Nine Suggestions

Tomb Raider Nine Suggestions

Okay, you know what I would like to see for Lara's next adventure, something that picks up where Underworld left off, but a new adventure. I would also like a much longer game, I'm talking about ten to fifteen levels, maybe even twenty! I would also like to express that Lara's next adventure entale something along the lines of:

Downloadable Content for:

PC
    PS3
    X360
    Wii
    and others!

Anyone agree with me on that? lol! Anyway, I'm ready for Crystal Dynamics to start work on the next game immediately, so if you all aren't, get to it! But if you are, come on, more Tomb Raider now!!!

I'm in 2 minds, I would like a new story for the next game but i also wanna knwo the answers to the unanswered questions from the Legend trilogy. I also want a different kind of continuation but i'm not going to mention which one at the risk of causing a war. Just by saying 'That game' certain people who feel the way i do will get it.

I'm also all for a longer playtime, I was in the Classic TR section the other day and there was a post about AOD and the poster said 'first of all does this game ever end? there is so many levels!' and another guy responded 'I got that feeling' and i thought my god if only we could say that now lol

I think it would be a good idea for CD to take a year or two break from TR now, all they have done for the past 4 years is TR, TR, TR and while that has been good for us in the long run we don't want Cd becomign diselusioned liek Core did by their 4th game.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay119 View Post
    I'm in 2 minds, I would like a new story for the next game but i also wanna knwo the answers to the unanswered questions from the Legend trilogy. I also want a different kind of continuation but i'm not going to mention which one at the risk of causing a war. Just by saying 'That game' certain people who feel the way i do will get it.

I'm also all for a longer playtime, I was in the Classic TR section the other day and there was a post about AOD and the poster said 'first of all does this game ever end? there is so many levels!' and another guy responded 'I got that feeling' and i thought my god if only we could say that now lol

I think it would be a good idea for CD to take a year or two break from TR now, all they have done for the past 4 years is TR, TR, TR and while that has been good for us in the long run we don't want Cd becomign diselusioned liek Core did by their 4th game.
    You've already said too much... that or I've just been tracking your posts enough to know about what you speak of. *no war... here anyway*.

Well, TR:U is not so short; but it would seem so because it was so enjoyable. I would make comparisons to that mentioned game, but I will not start a war in that way.

Well, TR:L was in development for 2 or 3 years, and TR:U from development since then.
    TR:A was a side project from a different team. Given that it was based upon the same engine as TR:L, and with a fair amount of the design elements already in place from TR1, it wouldn't've needed as long to make.
    If CD build upon the TR:U engine for their next game, it shouldn't take quite as long.

For the next game...
    I would like to see a new storyline with at minimum of 15 levels and they have to be long, not short with really challenging puzzles
    As well as more than one playable vehicle in it, like the bike and snowmobile or something.
    And one thing that I think is really important to me is that they don't make bonus downloadable content for the game, but complete the game and include all the levels that they were going to include as downloadable content on the CD.
    Like how on Tekken 5 they included Jim's own side story.
    And also Bring back the rocket launcher and dessert eagle
    Unknown person: Who are you??
    Lara: I am Lara croft, world famous adventurer with double D's

I agree with you on all aspects Gizmo, there should be a minimum of fifteen levels, fifteen is really good for an adventure game, but many people make good points, AOD was awfully long, it took me like two months finish it! lol!

Exclamation Tomb Raider Nine Suggestions

My wonderful boyfriend purchased me a copy of Tomb Raider Underworld yesterday and I have been playing it non-stop since. I love it. I think it's really fun and beautiful. My only qualms with the game have been the same as everyone else's: the camera angles. The other problem that some people have been talking about is how the game has really not changed at all. Personally, I love the gameplay and the last time they changed it (Tomb Raider AOD) I was not pleased.

So my boyfriend and I were talking about it, and it kind of hit me. What if there was the option to change the camera angle from 3rd person to 1st person? It would solve so many great things for us customers, giving us a brand new way to look at layouts and landscapes, a brand new way to see through Lara's eyes (imagine seeing Lara's impressive flips, twists, and moves from her eyes), it would grab more people's attentions who are into mostly 1st person games like Mirrors Edge and Gears of War, but also if someone doesn't like the look, they can simply zoom out and be playing in the original TR way. I know some people have been suggesting drastic measures like giving Lara the ax or changing the entire gameplay, but honestly the forumal has worked for 11+ years, and honestly I don't think Tomb Raider needs a full makeover (again).

The other thing we came up with were more open-ended worlds with maps. Not for the entire game -of course, but for certain parts. Adding areas where Lara can explore towns openly, maybe interact with other characters in minor ways, but along the way have short missions. I don't mean for it to be like AOD's Parisian levels, but more like just a break from the tomb raider hunting.

For example, what if while Lara is out exploring the ruins in South America, she runs across a small town where there are normal civilians out playing, getting food, walking around, etc? Lara could be able to explore those people's houses, maybe sell different items or buy objects for upgrades / medipacks / treasures. We could also throw in a side mission such as helping locate a lost child to his mother. Eventually completing a side-mission would somehow influence the game later on (given items, character could come back to aid Lara in a boss battle) or give the player special extras such as clothing items.

What I personally tend to find, in games where there are open world environments such as Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto, is that I tend to forget about any sort of plot and just go for a free-for-all killing whomever is in my way. I'm not saying this is a good thing. Thus I think that only small-open world areas would be a great medium from the constant run-jump-climb-shoot- CUT SCENE! routine.

Last but not least, my final suggestion is a simple one: allow the player to select from a choice of outfits BEFORE the level begins. This adds a bit of a Sims type quality to the game which is so so small and seems unimportant because it doesn't effect the game, but really the little things are the things I love the most in games.

Tomb Raider has level design, movements, action sequences, and storyline down almost flawlessly, I would just love to witness these couple of changes and I believe that other people would agree.

Off to play more Underworld!
    www.myspace.com/ronaldparisi <--My music!

Quote Originally Posted by are7era View Post
    My wonderful boyfriend purchased me a copy of Tomb Raider Underworld yesterday and I have been playing it non-stop since. I love it. I think it's really fun and beautiful. My only qualms with the game have been the same as everyone else's: the camera angles. The other problem that some people have been talking about is how the game has really not changed at all. Personally, I love the gameplay and the last time they changed it (Tomb Raider AOD) I was not pleased.

So my boyfriend and I were talking about it, and it kind of hit me. What if there was the option to change the camera angle from 3rd person to 1st person? It would solve so many great things for us customers, giving us a brand new way to look at layouts and landscapes, a brand new way to see through Lara's eyes (imagine seeing Lara's impressive flips, twists, and moves from her eyes), it would grab more people's attentions who are into mostly 1st person games like Mirrors Edge and Gears of War, but also if someone doesn't like the look, they can simply zoom out and be playing in the original TR way. I know some people have been suggesting drastic measures like giving Lara the ax or changing the entire gameplay, but honestly the forumal has worked for 11+ years, and honestly I don't think Tomb Raider needs a full makeover (again).

The other thing we came up with were more open-ended worlds with maps. Not for the entire game -of course, but for certain parts. Adding areas where Lara can explore towns openly, maybe interact with other characters in minor ways, but along the way have short missions. I don't mean for it to be like AOD's Parisian levels, but more like just a break from the tomb raider hunting.

For example, what if while Lara is out exploring the ruins in South America, she runs across a small town where there are normal civilians out playing, getting food, walking around, etc? Lara could be able to explore those people's houses, maybe sell different items or buy objects for upgrades / medipacks / treasures. We could also throw in a side mission such as helping locate a lost child to his mother. Eventually completing a side-mission would somehow influence the game later on (given items, character could come back to aid Lara in a boss battle) or give the player special extras such as clothing items.

What I personally tend to find, in games where there are open world environments such as Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto, is that I tend to forget about any sort of plot and just go for a free-for-all killing whomever is in my way. I'm not saying this is a good thing. Thus I think that only small-open world areas would be a great medium from the constant run-jump-climb-shoot- CUT SCENE! routine.

Last but not least, my final suggestion is a simple one: allow the player to select from a choice of outfits BEFORE the level begins. This adds a bit of a Sims type quality to the game which is so so small and seems unimportant because it doesn't effect the game, but really the little things are the things I love the most in games.

Tomb Raider has level design, movements, action sequences, and storyline down almost flawlessly, I would just love to witness these couple of changes and I believe that other people would agree.

Off to play more Underworld!
    Enjoy TR:U

Tomb Raider NEEDS to change, however, and CD are doing a fabulous job at that.

Options for the camera? I like this idea. Perhaps not forcing a First person camera on players, though. (Gears was 3rd person, wasn't it?). Lara would be staring at the walls as she grabs onto ledges most of the time, TR isn't meant to be a first person game, but I like the idea of it being optional for combat, etc.

Open environments - in the sense that the level is not a series of rooms connected only in certain places, yes, but I don't like the idea of a "break from the tomb raider hunting". Perhaps something like Croft Manor for that... but the whole concept of RPG style doesn't appeal to many players after the implementation AoD had with those features.

TR:U does this with the outfits, instead of unlockable outfits later. Once you get to Thailand you will see (Limited selection, though).

I most certainly do not want a TR first person game, just the option to change to it if need be. I don't know why I put gears of war, i wasn't thinking and it's 1:20 AM.

As for the open world bits, I wouldn't want for it to be a HUGE part of the game, but I really think having some open world scenarios would allow for a new kind of puzzle challenges.

As for Thailand, I am playing TRU on the WII, which I know is not the best system to be playing on it mostly for me due to changes in where secrets are hidden and how many there are. I am used to the camera angles by now anyway. I am at Thailand now and I have not had any clothing options yet. Maybe soon, although I bet it was ditched on the Wii.

Sidenote: I think the wii version is really good -for a Wii game. I have yet to get an Xbox 360 but I do believe I will get one soon so that I can really experience the game. Until then though, I can do with this version. Wii games do not perform as well as XBox or Playstation games, but I am glad that TRU tried to at least make it the most beautiful game out for the Wii.

Oh. I don't know if Wii has the choice for multiple outfits. (It's missing quite a bit compared to other versions, I read), but PC version, as well as for PS3/Xbox360 have the outfit choice.

You're breaking my heart!

No I knew it while going and getting the game. i originally would put it on my PC but alas, my CPU does not reach the shader requirements. Honestly, that was not a happy hour when I found out I couldn't run it on my PC. I love TR on PC.

I don't think i want to discuss what i want for the next TR..i've been saying it for years now and they just been doing the opposite. But i will share what i want in the next TR one last time.
    First of all, the game should be LONGER..i like games that would last me about a month or two. TRL i finished in two days...i was not impressed, my 10 year old sister finished TRL aswell. Theres no challenge in the games anymore. Like you guys were saying 15-20 levels is perfect.
    2nd - NO more CHECKPOINTS..this is what annoys me the most. It just makes the game so much easier to have checkpoints, every time you step or finish something you get a checkpoint. Like i said in another topic, bring back the blue save crystals.
    3rd - Invent some new creatures or monsters...the bats and mini spiders in TRU were just awful, seriously felt so bored and the monsters at the end (what ever there names are) were you had to jump on them to kill them, what a load of crap...
    4th - TRAPS TRAPS AND TRAPS, does it hurt to have traps???? your in a tomb...deep underground................would have made them more fun to search. I liked the idea of the room with the different doors in the Mexico level. But once you got in they were so short, like a few blades and the other room had just fire.
    5th - I think it's time for a new story in my opinion this search for her mother business is over, start fresh and think think think of a new concept or idea. No more bikes or cars or Mercenarys, cause they also get a little boring after a while. With the weapons, i think you should find each weapon through out the game...if you miss one then tough luck. Also find the bullets aswell, there just making the games easier so more people can buy it and play it so the company can make there money..its not about the fans anymore. It's this new generation that like to play EASY games which will last for like a week and then you go and pay £50 for another game and finish that in like a week.

I may be asking for too much, but these are what made the TR's on the PS1 '***' amazing. I can't see how hard it is to just re-do these things again.
    One last thing, the way she dies is really annoying, if she gets hit by spikes why not make her get cut in half or when she falls actually hear her hit the floor like the ones on the PS1....if there trying to make the games look more realistic these touches would help. Make the game a 15 not a 12 that way they can add a lot more.
    Anyways i could go on forever but i just do hope they actually read these forums and listen to the fans for once.

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    but the whole concept of RPG style doesn't appeal to many players after the implementation AoD had with those features.
    OMG that was probably the most pointless thing in the game. The most annoying thing is that RPG elements in TR could be quite handy, affecting how you progress. But, like so many things in AOD it wasn't implemented properly, wreaking it.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

Quote Originally Posted by TR1-5 View Post
    I don't think i want to discuss what i want for the next TR..i've been saying it for years now and they just been doing the opposite. But i will share what i want in the next TR one last time.
    First of all, the game should be LONGER..i like games that would last me about a month or two. TRL i finished in two days...i was not impressed, my 10 year old sister finished TRL aswell. Theres no challenge in the games anymore. Like you guys were saying 15-20 levels is perfect.
    2nd - NO more CHECKPOINTS..this is what annoys me the most. It just makes the game so much easier to have checkpoints, every time you step or finish something you get a checkpoint. Like i said in another topic, bring back the blue save crystals.
    3rd - Invent some new creatures or monsters...the bats and mini spiders in TRU were just awful, seriously felt so bored and the monsters at the end (what ever there names are) were you had to jump on them to kill them, what a load of crap...
    4th - TRAPS TRAPS AND TRAPS, does it hurt to have traps???? your in a tomb...deep underground................would have made them more fun to search. I liked the idea of the room with the different doors in the Mexico level. But once you got in they were so short, like a few blades and the other room had just fire.
    5th - I think it's time for a new story in my opinion this search for her mother business is over, start fresh and think think think of a new concept or idea. No more bikes or cars or Mercenarys, cause they also get a little boring after a while. With the weapons, i think you should find each weapon through out the game...if you miss one then tough luck. Also find the bullets aswell, there just making the games easier so more people can buy it and play it so the company can make there money..its not about the fans anymore. It's this new generation that like to play EASY games which will last for like a week and then you go and pay £50 for another game and finish that in like a week.

I may be asking for too much, but these are what made the TR's on the PS1 '***' amazing. I can't see how hard it is to just re-do these things again.
    One last thing, the way she dies is really annoying, if she gets hit by spikes why not make her get cut in half or when she falls actually hear her hit the floor like the ones on the PS1....if there trying to make the games look more realistic these touches would help. Make the game a 15 not a 12 that way they can add a lot more.
    Anyways i could go on forever but i just do hope they actually read these forums and listen to the fans for once.

I quote you in almost everything, but I still have to have some answers about lara's mother

My concept of the next tomb raider:

- Longer/camera fixed tomb raider (obvious)
    - More Levels (15-20 in 4-5 places is good like the old tomb raiders)
    - No more checkpoints, saves like Tomb Raider 2/3
    - More Traps with some more creativity
    - Cars, Bikes and Mercenaries are not in the real style of tomb raider.
    We want to see again Tigers, but also Gorillas, Crocodiles and maybe T-rex!
    - HUD: Life progress bar like the old tr: The Underworld one is not very clear and "readable" on the difficult situations.
    - Ammo and MORE Weapons on the style of the old TRs
    You get them on the course of the game and you can also get 'secret' ones
    (good if they are more potent on the progress of the adventure)
    [Including the Magnum/Automatic Pistol/Uzis]
    - TR was "based" on Keys and Doors (why not again?). This was a great feature.
    - Medikits again (old style Mini/Big). (Lara slosh the miraculous liquid if she put it into his rucksack )
    - Boss: old style, no special mechanisms, only weapons and life. (remember? link)
    - For the longevity: Secret weapons, Unlockable Costumes, Videos, Additional content (Pictures/scratches...), New/Old Croft Manor
    - Rolling Stone Balls - Where are them?!?

(I'll add if I missed something )

i'm pretty sure CD's gonna have to start brain-storming and reflipping history and mythology books.
    i like the way how they preserved the originality of the myths in TR:U. quite authentic by the look of it.
    Силиконовые Мозги

ok CD are getting there with the "playground" level design. But CD need a FULL Nintendo development cycle - 2-3 years please Eidos - NOT 18 months

I would NOT advise a GTA open world. U need more specific mini locations for example:

Mediterranean Sea Level - u travel between mini locations with a DESTINATION MENU in the yacht - NOT GTA/Windwaker open world sailing - too boring

- Rhodes tourist harbour (hub) - meet people, sell loot, buy clothes, diving gear etc
    - Pompeii (ruins) underwater Roman city preserved in crumbling pyroclasic cloud from Vesuvius eruption
    - House of the Faun (hub+theft) - private island owned by dodgy businessman - u r invited to a masqurade party and steal his artifacts from the Romanesque house
    - Crete Knossos (ruins) - U break into this UNESCO heritage site at Minos Palace and find the Labyrinth + Minotaur = epic ftw
    - Sunken Russian submarine = U dive and explore the wreck and get chased by Russians in submersibles and WASP suits - ftw

ok for the new collectibles system I would have:

Lara is a collector of antiquities and interested in botany and zoology. So at the ruins u loot the artifacts + hunt n' tranquilze rare animals for ur collection at Croft Manor . The Manor grounds gradually fill up with rare animals, plants and antiquities; statues, fountains etc. U need a free roaming Croft Manor hub + training robot + autumn forest + church ruins = epic ftw.

Antarctica

Hello!

Yes, i agree. For Tomb Raider Nine i would like a new storyline... but a story that gives us answers to the many questions Legend and Underworld left us with. Like the seventh age...

I think all the speculation and mythology surrounding 2012 is a perfect opportunity for a Tomb Raider storyline. Because it's current and inclusive to the gamers.. It could also be tied into Legend and Underworld easily...

I posted a thread entitled "Civilization(s) Antarctica... In which i talk about a lot of ideas floating around in my head for a great Tomb Raider Nine storyline...

It would include 2012 which can be closely tied to Mayan, Greek, Chinese, Native American, English...the bible... etc..etc.. prophecies...

There are also theories linking NASA and aliens and a straying unknown planet.. a 26,000 year planetary alignment cycle, a polar shift...etc..etc..etc..

A story that tied in all of these elements could produce answers to Natla's beloved 7th age... it would also HAVE to be a longer game... That could explore ancient unfound civilizations and the relationship between all of these elements...

I dunno maybe my mind is wandering too far into something i will have no involvement in...

But the ideas are exciting!

It would be great if the manor was back but not the burned one, the others. She has three manors, didn't she? And we could leave Winston in the fridge like for TR2 and TR3! There would be an outside training, secret passages in the manor, ect.
    For the levels, the same number than the classic games: not too long (like AoD) but not too short (like Legend). And please, this time, bonus outfits! Because when you play the game over 20 times you like a little bit of changes sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel89 View Post
    I quote you in almost everything, but I still have to have some answers about lara's mother

- HUD: Life progress bar like the old tr: The Underworld one is not very clear and "readable" on the difficult situations.
    - Medikits again (old style Mini/Big). (Lara slosh the miraculous liquid if she put it into his rucksack )
    - Boss: old style, no special mechanisms, only weapons and life. (remember? link)
    - For the longevity: Secret weapons, Unlockable Costumes, Videos, Additional content (Pictures/scratches...), New/Old Croft Manor

Yep i also agree with everything you've said, it's nice to see that theres other fans here that feel the same way as i do. I practically grew up with TR and i'm sure alot of people here have aswell, just want the TR series to do well and atleast give us a challenge and to enjoy the game at the same time. I think i'll try and send them an e-mail, worth giving it a try....see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TR1-5 View Post
    Yep i also agree with everything you've said, it's nice to see that theres other fans here that feel the same way as i do. I practically grew up with TR and i'm sure alot of people here have aswell, just want the TR series to do well and atleast give us a challenge and to enjoy the game at the same time. I think i'll try and send them an e-mail, worth giving it a try....see what happens.
    I agree again, as fans of tomb raider since the firsts, we have to had some rewards
    I still like the new tomb raiders, but the firsts are something different, not banal.
    I remember also the Croft Manor, with it's secrets (TR3-Quad bike ) and fantastic training courses
    I wish we have some swimming pools again too... maybe semms a stupid thing, but I really love some Egyptian like scenarios with swimming pools and cascades.
    I hope that CR and Eidos will listen to us, because Tomb Raider is that, also!

And Samara, what a cool thing the possibility to close Winston on the Fridge Room

(we should create a list of what we want for the next tomb raider )

Quote Originally Posted by Steel89 View Post

A lot of this is nostalgia for the past, and while this is good, some of it is no longer possible due to technology, some of it is no longer possible due to need for variety/evolution within the series, some of it is no longer possible because of the design goals of the developers (although this would be nice to include anyways). Other than that, some of it's just your personal preferences :P which would nice to be implemented as options.

1. Repair the manor
    2. Bring back Zip (and hire Amanda as a researcher--she's smart) on the headset, but make it completely optional (and toggleable).
    3. Puzzles. Puzzles, puzzles, puzzles.
    4. Better secrets/treasures/relics
    5. Time trials
    6. Unlockables--outfits, cheats, concept art, etc.
    7. Get rid of Lara's wrinkly forehead.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4679923/1/Tomb_Raider_Aftermath

1.longer hair
    2.better outfit that shows lest of her chest
    3.younger face
    4.better moves
    5.when she is injured, she limps.
    6.unlockables
    7.as many outfits as legend.
    8.concept art and customize an outfit for all consoles and not just mod for pc.
    9.longer levels.
    10.exciting storylines/gripping

they know what we want, if ubisoft win tomb raider, good on them, i'd like to see what they could do with it.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Curious101 View Post
    2. Bring back Zip (and hire Amanda as a researcher--she's smart) on the headset, but make it completely optional (and toggleable).
    Amanda... Headset... that sounds like a plan, if there's still a bit of rivalry between them sure they will have some interesting and hot debates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Amanda... Headset... that sounds like a plan, if there's still a bit of rivalry between them sure they will have some interesting and hot debates.
    I'm actually writing about that in a fanfic, that's why I included it. But all the evidence points to Amanda being brilliant, and if they're working toward a common goal I think it would be cool to hear the interaction.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4679923/1/Tomb_Raider_Aftermath

5.when she is injured, she limps.
    I don't see the point of this. If the limping is only superficial, and she's allowed to do the jumps, then it's more/less pointless/eyecandy, but if she's not allowed to do the jumps, it stops the player from completing the level, or forces the player to do nothing while the health regen kicks in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast