View Poll Results: Did you enjoy Tomb raider Underworld?

Voters
607. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

422 69.52%
  • No

60 9.88%
  • Some were in the middle

125 20.59%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you enjoy TRU?

I liked it. The motorcycle was definitely better than the one in TRL. And there were a lot more treasures to look for, so it ment a lot more exploring. TRL and TRA had more defined, or obvious paths, directions to go in, and only a certain moves to do it. This one not as much. The combat is better, not just having to use guns. And I like the graphics. The PS3 is great. The 5.1 Surround Sound is nice too. And I liked seeing all the characters back. And she looks just as good as ever......especially in the wetsuit.

The underwater stuff was good. It's about time she had some breathing apparatus. And the creatures are just as good as TRA (I have to admit, I jumped a couple of times).

Yeh, the replay factor is a little weak, unless you use it to go back to find treasures and relics you missed, instead of the treasure hunt. And not having all those outfits to go after is something that a lot of people might miss, but the only one I ever really strived for was the bikini in TRL, and she could only wear that one around the mansion.

And I do wish the "Previously..." cinematic would play at the beginning, when you start up the game, instead of having to go in to the extras to watch it. I know we all know what happened before, but it makes it feel like it's more than just a video game.

But I had fun with it.

This might sound wierd but i describe Underworld as marmite (sp?)

You either love it
    Or
    You hate it.

1) because of the storyline
    2) The developers

I loved both so underworld to be IS my favourate game to date.
    Signitures are cool.... But so are pictures

5% don't like it. I don't think game statistics can get any better than that.

Smile

Just finished playing on the PS3 and only missed a few treasures. To make this very short the game was OK. (yes i am a lara fan)

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahperson View Post
    Ur thread got sticky'ed congrats!! i dunno if i enjoyed it ill be getting it in a week *kisses* toodles!
    Heehee yah, i feel so special I figured that it would just get lost in the moutains of threads over the days, but aparently not. Alread on the 4th page *dances* and have 104 votes. Though if i hadnt made it, i bet some-one else would...

be sure to post your vote once you finish the game. the game does have some flaws, and glitches and stuff. but once you get around that and look at the bigger picture its realy an amazing game.
    Dont kill a cow, eat a cowboy.

I loved it, though I hated the many bugs...

Sorry guys...

OK.. I'm goin to get lashed for this but hey ho.... I'm 45 (I know, not in the usual demographic) and being playing games since SEGA. I'm by no means an expert - I don't go online and play against other people, I don't finish a game on hard to get to IMPOSSIBLE HARD mode. I just enjoy the experience. When I first played Lara I thought it was awesome - it was before billions of helps on the internet and it took me about 6 months to complete. I'm a huge fan. Completely. Moved on from PS1 to PS2 and completed the rest. Yip.. there were some problems along the way but all OK. Then, along came PS3. No Lara at launch but plenty other games to keep me occupied. Totally pumped up about Lara coming to PS3 - a dream come true. Wot can i say - I'm gutted. OK I guess people have talked about the glitch in the Midgard Serpant, I was one of them. But I also automatically skipped a level - yes, I have missed a level... The camera is so annoying ... the puzzles are not all that...and ... and I really hate to say this.... the game feels dated. I cant believe I'm saying this but the game feels dated. It the same old thing. The treasures are dull dull dull and not being able to collect weapons is a mild distration that is unfortunately not there. OK.. if I just started gaming... I might think the game is awesome... but for me.. its the end of an era and I am genuinely gutted.

Hiya Auds100,

(Your approach into the criticism was a lot smoother than what I've seen... :P)
    Yes, the puzzles aren't there. I don't think they were intended to be, for TR:U. You see examples of things that could've made awesome combination puzzles, but there wasn't anything put into them to make it that way. I don't think that misses out on something big, it's more of a change of focus than anything else. I'd like a feature in Player Tailoring that would allow for puzzles to be more complex in this regard.

You say the game feels dated, in what way?
    The treasures are split up into two kinds: Secrets, and relics. The secrets are the ones in open sight, and in jars. Most of them are fairly easy to find, although there are a few that are tough, and require in depth exploration of the environment. The Relics are quite tricky to find in themselves.
    No ammo pickups (from the mercs). Well, I think they went on this approach for the feeling of realism. In TR:A, and TRs1-6 ammo/weapons could be found lying in ancient, "unexplored" tombs; it was nice for gameplay but didn't make sense. Ammo pickups from mercs would've been nice, though.

Terrific Game

I love this game & playing it for the second time now. To me it's very close to what the first of the series were and it's been a long time since I had that :O 'Wow' feeling and 'this is so cool!' I thoroughly enjoyed this game and appreciate the effort from Toby Gard, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos, and all involved in the making of TRU.

The camera issues took some getting use to but the game play and large beautiful environments were once again awesome & a lot of fun. The music, detailed graphics, fantastic lighting, voice acting, and a story with journal notes, all was super in my opinion.

The light she didn't have to hold or find batteries for, swimming without running out of air, and the choice of two types of weapons at all times, was super! Thanks for that & making Tomb Raider great again!

I was so disappointed with the secrets. With the exception of a notable few, they were just lying around in plain sight or in those stupid little jars. That's not what Tomb Raider is about. I enjoyed the Mexico level where you could sometimes see them, but you didn't know how to get there. That's more like what I'm used to from Tomb Raider. Hell, even Legend had a better way of doing the secrets.

As for the puzzles... I don't think they quite nailed the brilliance of the first Tomb Raider, but there were some levels that I thought were simply brilliant. I loved the rotating tower at Jan Mayen Island. At the very top, I almost felt like I was back at St. Francis Folly. Also, the room with the swinging hammers was great. But I did feel that the game concentrated more on the better physics capabilities afforded to the NG platforms than the good old-fashioned puzzles. The fire room in Mexico was deliciously frustrating, and I think a good way of using the new engine but still in a thoughtful way.

The puzzles involving physics (most notably the scales in Thailand) were sort of a letdown. Things were relatively straightforward, which was somewhat disappointing. The bridge puzzle was cool, except that at the bridge, I couldn't get Lara to stop flipping backwards off the wall-run, and two minutes later I couldn't get her to do it at all in the water room.

The final 'battle' was neat--the rotating platforms and stuff was fun but not too easy. The only thing I wonder is what those little icons that glowed when you touched them were for. I thought I found them all, but maybe I didn't. It didn't seem different from when I did touch them. Anyone know?
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4679923/1/Tomb_Raider_Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Curious101 View Post
    I was so disappointed with the secrets. With the exception of a notable few, they were just lying around in plain sight or in those stupid little jars. That's not what Tomb Raider is about. I enjoyed the Mexico level where you could sometimes see them, but you didn't know how to get there. That's more like what I'm used to from Tomb Raider. Hell, even Legend had a better way of doing the secrets.
    The final 'battle' was neat--the rotating platforms and stuff was fun but not too easy. The only thing I wonder is what those little icons that glowed when you touched them were for. I thought I found them all, but maybe I didn't. It didn't seem different from when I did touch them. Anyone know?
    That's for the treasure See look, the secrets were the obvious ones to find, equivalent to the bronze/silver in Legend, and the relics were a lot harder, equivalent to the gold. The only difference is that they've scrapped calling the bronze ones 'bronze'. The Relics are a lot tougher to find than the secrets, as you've found out for yourself.

The puzzles weren't made difficult through needing combinations; I think it would've been easy enough for them to include combination-type puzzles, but they chose not to for one good reason or another.

Playing TR has always been a wonderful experience....

I haven't played the latest version TRU yet, but i have played and completed all the previous versions of TR...and i would like to say that TR has never let me down. It has been a legend it self, the tricks of this game is really awesome (Specialy in TR4 and TR5).So finally, yes i will definitely enjoy the TRU....

Dated

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    Hiya Auds100,

(Your approach into the criticism was a lot smoother than what I've seen... :P)
    Yes, the puzzles aren't there. I don't think they were intended to be, for TR:U. You see examples of things that could've made awesome combination puzzles, but there wasn't anything put into them to make it that way. I don't think that misses out on something big, it's more of a change of focus than anything else. I'd like a feature in Player Tailoring that would allow for puzzles to be more complex in this regard.

You say the game feels dated, in what way?
    The treasures are split up into two kinds: Secrets, and relics. The secrets are the ones in open sight, and in jars. Most of them are fairly easy to find, although there are a few that are tough, and require in depth exploration of the environment. The Relics are quite tricky to find in themselves.
    No ammo pickups (from the mercs). Well, I think they went on this approach for the feeling of realism. In TR:A, and TRs1-6 ammo/weapons could be found lying in ancient, "unexplored" tombs; it was nice for gameplay but didn't make sense. Ammo pickups from mercs would've been nice, though.
    rg_001100 Thanks for your comments. I mentioned the game felt dated as I just didn't think it had moved on. There are only so many jungles one can go to! If I was honest with you, I played Drakes Uncharted and for me, that really took the Tombraider concept and catapulted it into the next gen. I guess I was hoping for the same with TRU. I'm also suffering with frustration on having to start the whole game again because of the MS glitch and the blips. I was just expecting more.

Quote Originally Posted by Auds100 View Post
    rg_001100 Thanks for your comments. I mentioned the game felt dated as I just didn't think it had moved on. There are only so many jungles one can go to! If I was honest with you, I played Drakes Uncharted and for me, that really took the Tombraider concept and catapulted it into the next gen. I guess I was hoping for the same with TRU. I'm also suffering with frustration on having to start the whole game again because of the MS glitch and the blips. I was just expecting more.
    Haha, if you expected to get bashed before now you're really in for it :P (There're some people here to just don't like DF because it's not TR, to be fair, and some people who don't like DF because they don't think it's good). (I don't think people will, though.)
    I have not played UDF, because it is platform exclusive and I am a PC gamer, but I have heard various comments about it in relation to TR. I have heard the combat systems in the two games are very different to each other, and I can't help but think that's one of the reasons why you suggest TR is dated :P I would suggest that TR has progressed from what it was (at least from what TR:L was), and at the same time has kept some of the things that makes TR great to TR fans. In TR:U, I loved the combat vs. non-humans, but I would feel that the combat vs. humans could've done with a cover system (used lightly).
    It would seem, then, that TR:U didn't appeal quite as broadly as it could've, and I would like to see CD expand the appeal of this game, and have optional settings to be able to do this (Player Tailoring, or similar).
    Personally, other than perhaps the combat, I do not think the game was dated at all, nor was I disappointed with TR:U, but more would be nice.
    (Well, I was disappointed with the combat of TR:U after the acquisition of Thor's Hammer. Combat was lame after that; just button mashing more than the combat of the earlier levels).

Hey, guys for those of you who are sharing your opinions about the game, feel free to post some of them in the User reviews thread too.

I loved underworld but I first got into TR when legend came out and immediatly took a liking. I personly am not one who is obsessed with gameplay as much as plot which is funny to look for that in games. However I found the latest series of TR to be better entertainment then a lot of the stuff hollywood is pumping out.
    Don't you think after several millenia, any booby traps would be... OUCH!!!

Ok

Hi rg_001100... ok.. I hear what ur saying. It would be cool for u to play Drake tho.. when I started to play it I compared it unfavourably to TR but as I got into it I loved the different gameplay, the humour and the graphics. It was wayyyy to short though... IMind you, I'm willing to concede, I think I may have been too harsh about TRU. The graphics were pretty amazing... it's just maybe, I felt I had seen it before. I would love to see Lara in an up to date war situation.. combining tomb raiding with fighting for a cause. I guess coz I love Lara I want her to fulfil all my gaming needs. I probably need to get real! Ha Ha...

Quote Originally Posted by Auds100 View Post
    Hi rg_001100... ok.. I hear what ur saying. It would be cool for u to play Drake tho.. when I started to play it I compared it unfavourably to TR but as I got into it I loved the different gameplay, the humour and the graphics. It was wayyyy to short though... IMind you, I'm willing to concede, I think I may have been too harsh about TRU. The graphics were pretty amazing... it's just maybe, I felt I had seen it before. I would love to see Lara in an up to date war situation.. combining tomb raiding with fighting for a cause. I guess coz I love Lara I want her to fulfil all my gaming needs. I probably need to get real! Ha Ha...
    One of the things I really bash on about is wanting to improve combat, give a cover system, and damn good action gameplay to rival the industry leaders so that anyone can enjoy TR, even if they don't want the puzzles/exploration. So long as they don't overemphasise, or force, any combat feature on the player, it should work well. But yeah, might not happen :P (Although I did read a few reviews where the people were commenting, essentially, on the lack of cover system). Forcing the cover system into the game, or making all the combat vs. humans based on cover wouldn't be great... an option in Player Tailoring to force it, perhaps, but not forcing it on everyone. Everyone is different, likes different things.

And it would be nice for me to be able to play UDF, but I don't have a PS3 (and it's platform exclusive), not quite worth getting a PS3 just for one game, yet. (Perhaps I wait then buy them when it's cheap...) In terms of comparison, there're some who are against the idea of comparing games, but I think it's okay as long as a set of guidelines/criteria for comparing are in place. This criteria would differ from player to player, based on personal preferrences, etc. So some people may like UDF more than TR, and some TR more than UDF.

I liked it . . . somewhat. The wii version was too flawed.
    "Cheese is nice. Practically perfect in every way." And no, I DIDN'T STEAL THAT FROM MARY POPPINS!

Best yet

I have the PC version of the game and I really enjoyed it.

Having played all the Tomb Raider games to date I have to admit I enjoyed this one the most. I played it non-stop from start to finish, just couldn't walk away and not see what the next level was going to be like

I really loved the levels where you had to use the gapple to run along the wall or when you had to wall jump between pillars to reach the top so would like to see more of that true 3D puzzle solving in future titles.

Just finished the game on my 360 last night and absolutely loved every action packed second! Thumbs up to Eidos and CD, well done!

Just finished TRU and i was having a blast!
    So, yes, i loved it.

glitch on God of Thunder...

so far, i am absolutely LOVING this game. it is 10x better than I thought it would be (and TRUST ME, I thought it was going to rule the world. lol ) i finally got it to work faster on my PC. :-) I've only gotten to play it every once in a while, and I'm on the Med Sea Part 4 God of Thunder level, and I'm just fooling around. I'm playing the game right now, in fact, and I just found a glitch, or some kind of error, but a really cool error, on Amanda's boat.
    You know how you have to climb up on the anchor chain? well, I figured out that by climbing up the anchor chain, going up on the ledge where she wall hugs the side of the ship (like you're supposed to do), and instead of going up onto the deck, lean forward and jump off of the ledge, then she grabs onto the top of her yacht, which obviously is NOT supposed to happen. Honestly, I have no idea how I figured this out, I was just playing around. Here's the strangest part of it--while Lara is hanging off the roof of her yacht, press Interact to perform a saving grab, and then pull up onto the roof (or at least the area where the roof is SUPPOSED to be...haha ) if you walk forward, she'll fall onto what is supposed to be the "upper level" of her yacht, but yet again, you can see right through it to the bottom level. Though, you can't really do much here, eventually she'll just fall off the invisible floor, and down to the floor that you are MEANT to be on in the game. I made a short series of screenshots with Paint of the sequence to make the glitch work, but I'm not exactly sure how to post them here on the forum....hehe.

Just thought it would be a fun idea to tell you guys of this little trick we can play on the game. I don't know if anyone else has found this glitch yet, I'm sure someone out there has, but I don't really care, because it's a cool glitch. lol

Quote Originally Posted by trjunepearl View Post
    so far, i am absolutely LOVING this game. it is 10x better than I thought it would be (and TRUST ME, I thought it was going to rule the world. lol ) i finally got it to work faster on my PC. :-) I've only gotten to play it every once in a while, and I'm on the Med Sea Part 4 God of Thunder level, and I'm just fooling around. I'm playing the game right now, in fact, and I just found a glitch, or some kind of error, but a really cool error, on Amanda's boat.
    You know how you have to climb up on the anchor chain? well, I figured out that by climbing up the anchor chain, going up on the ledge where she wall hugs the side of the ship (like you're supposed to do), and instead of going up onto the deck, lean forward and jump off of the ledge, then she grabs onto the top of her yacht, which obviously is NOT supposed to happen. Honestly, I have no idea how I figured this out, I was just playing around. Here's the strangest part of it--while Lara is hanging off the roof of her yacht, press Interact to perform a saving grab, and then pull up onto the roof (or at least the area where the roof is SUPPOSED to be...haha ) if you walk forward, she'll fall onto what is supposed to be the "upper level" of her yacht, but yet again, you can see right through it to the bottom level. Though, you can't really do much here, eventually she'll just fall off the invisible floor, and down to the floor that you are MEANT to be on in the game. I made a short series of screenshots with Paint of the sequence to make the glitch work, but I'm not exactly sure how to post them here on the forum....hehe.

Just thought it would be a fun idea to tell you guys of this little trick we can play on the game. I don't know if anyone else has found this glitch yet, I'm sure someone out there has, but I don't really care, because it's a cool glitch. lol
    Cool Glitch I tried that once, but ended up dying when i landed.....If you like the first part of the game, you'll love the reast, especialy the next level, Not going to spoil it for you thouhg, but its realy good.

Tomb Raider Underworld

I loved the game it took me three days to beat it on my X-BOX 360. My question now is when is the next one coming out.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast