Thread: PC crashing when saving

PC crashing when saving

My PC is crashing the third or fourth time I save the game each time I play. The game is fine aside from that. Anyone else have that problem?

I know... if I didn't save so often I wouldn't have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
    My PC is crashing the third or fourth time I save the game each time I play. The game is fine aside from that. Anyone else have that problem?
    I save every ten minutes or so, and it hasn't crashed on me once.

Do you have an on-access virus scanner running? That might be interfering with the game's ability to write to disc undisturbed...

The PC-game crashed twice while saving (playing it the third time now). I wouldn't call that significant. BUT: The PS3 version sometimes died on me several times, too, while updating the autosave. Luckily the autosave wasn't damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Leak View Post
    I save every ten minutes or so, and it hasn't crashed on me once.

Do you have an on-access virus scanner running? That might be interfering with the game's ability to write to disc undisturbed...
    Telling someone to disable antivirus is not only wrong, it's careless. I don't even see it as a solution. Anti-virus should have no effect on games and I'd expect in this time and age they design games that don't conflict with AV software. I've never disabled AV to play a game. Tomb Raider is the only game I know that crashes. I can't even remember the last game I played that crashed nearly as often as Underworld.

Sorry

Sadly, offering a work around is not a fix.
    I just hope the makers think more of their customers than to blame them or their equipment for poor game design.
    ~007
    Anyone can Learn from his own mistakes... The wise Learn from the Mistakes of others...

Quote Originally Posted by Flukester View Post
    Not keeping your PC safe in general and instead relying on some crappy AV product is not only careless, it's wrong.
    Fixed that for you.

Relying on someone else to think for you is just dain bramaged.

Saves and Crashes

I just picked up the PC version of TRU and it's great. But I too have problems with the dave function. When I go to save the game it not only crashes when I try to save, when I return to game the save is not there. Doh! Any ideas? As long as I reach an ingame save point I seem to be ok. But if I try to do a manual save......click...boom...desktop.

yea, I would guess pretty much everyone with the PC version & vista have the saving issue. It's probably a bug in the game, just one of many <.<

and don't turn off your anti-virus. even if it's a "crappy" (now what that's supposed to be?) antivirus it's still better than none.

I don't have PC crashing problems when trying to save or load save games.

But what I am curious about is the number of savegame files that seem to be allowed in the PC game.

Mine only seems to have 8 savegame slots. If I save over a saved game, it just writes over the savegame that was in that slot, rather than archive the old save game in the savegame folder, with the new savegame file in the slot that the old one was in.

I looked in my Anniversary savegame folder and have tons of savegame files in there. But it has been so long ago that I played TRA I can't remember how they came to be in there - but it looks like I gave them all names in some organized fashion - like <chapter name>3.001<context (like - after jump to column)>.

Also, when I began, each save asked me to name it, which I did. But once I filled all 8 slots, I never got the naming prompt again. I notice that now the slots themselves are named with the names I gave them, even when I have used that slot for a subsequent save file. The only way to tell approx what save I have in any of the 8 save slot, consequently, is by the timestamp and location/chapter heading that seems to be the default information for savegame files.

Is this just a game design feature, or is it meant to be some other way in the PC version, and I have a file corruption issue or some kind of a bug?

Thanks.