Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: URGENT: Patch for TR:U that fixes NVidia 7series lagging/crashing/freezing

Just wanted to say that I have a GeForce 7600 GS running on the latest driver update (15th Oct '08). Underworld, after editing the registry settings to remove the lag on loading, runs fine for me. But it always has done, the demo ran fine for me and so does the game.

Whatever problems you guys are encountering, I'd personally say it's your individual systems. There's no way Crystal can cater for absolutely every single PC set up out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tym View Post
    Plus, enough folks have reported the "Direct3D" error that it suggests assuming all PC users had shader 3 was erroneous, though I'm sure ATI and nVidia would love to have everyone upgrade hardware.
    How could they have erroneously assumed people had Shader Model 3 capable cards when they state that requirement ON THE BOX itself?

Shader Model 3 itself is almost 4 years old now, and it was first supported 2 games back in TR:L (albeit with mixed success), so how many games should they keep themselves get dragged down with having to support legacy hardware?

You can't run Unreal Engine 3 games on old cards either, but I've yet to hear an outcry over that - what's the difference here?

Removing lag

Quote Originally Posted by Spong View Post
    Just wanted to say that I have a GeForce 7600 GS running on the latest driver update (15th Oct '08). Underworld, after editing the registry settings to remove the lag on loading, runs fine for me. But it always has done, the demo ran fine for me and so does the game.

Whatever problems you guys are encountering, I'd personally say it's your individual systems. There's no way Crystal can cater for absolutely every single PC set up out there.
    I would really appreciate it if you told me exactly what you do to the registry settings to remove the lag on loading.

Hiya Mark,

Run RegEdit and navigate to the following directory:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider: Underworld/Graphics

In the list find the field 'DontDeferShaderCreation' and change the value to '0' (it should be set at 1). Save and close then run the game again, the loading should take seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by sirix105 View Post
    your 7900 is an old card. y recommend a 9600gt as a minimum to play smoothly on the highest specs. crysis in very high LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL crysis in highest cant even run propely with a QUad 3.2 GHZ and gt 280.

Yes it can. And I can prove it. By disabling one of my GTX280s.

We're not here to talk about Crysis. But I would like to know why my system, which can play Crysis at 1920 x 1200 with every setting in the game maxed out (that's 16xAA AND Vsync enabled) can't play Underworld without turning things down to medium. Eidos, you are not going to convince me your game is more demanding than Crysis. Maybe you should phone up Crytek for some programming tips. Lord knows, even THEY did a better job than your lot.

Edit (next day):

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to take it back. It's just the scene on the boat that runs like cr*p. Just out if interest, I tried upping the settings again further through the game and it runs fine with all settings maxed out. I get 100fps with the Vsync off. Wonder why that scene is so bad.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.52GHz
    SLI GTX280 XXX @ 738/1512/2700

Well i have brought the game from trymedia and it when i click on the icon, my whole computer freezes so i have to restart it.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT, Core 2 Duo E6850, 4GB DDR2 RAM and more than enough space.

Works well

Hiya Mark,

In the list find the field 'DontDeferShaderCreation' and change the value to '0' (it should be set at 1). Save and close then run the game again, the loading should take seconds.
    Thanks for that - it works like a charm.

This (from a member of the dev team) may or may not be interesting, as a comment on this situation. (Driver updates from nVidia on the way, and possibly a patch from Eidos)
    Although with these problems it's not always one thing... for some people it's sound card, others it is the shader stuff with the graphics, and for others it's software they have running in the background. Everyone's PC is different.

Try this, perhaps. It might work, might not.
    Another thing to try is an older driver for your card rather than a newer one, until the release a new driver.

man....i cant wait for a patch to fixing this
    i have my Dell M1710 with Geforce 7950gtx, the game is lagging as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Leak View Post
    How could they have erroneously assumed people had Shader Model 3 capable cards when they state that requirement ON THE BOX itself?

Shader Model 3 itself is almost 4 years old now, and it was first supported 2 games back in TR:L (albeit with mixed success), so how many games should they keep themselves get dragged down with having to support legacy hardware?

You can't run Unreal Engine 3 games on old cards either, but I've yet to hear an outcry over that - what's the difference here?
    What I mean is that enough people trying to run this game don't meet the shader 3.0 requirement that Eidos/CD made a bad decision trying to force it on everyone.

Apart from that, the game has enough other problems that it doesn't seem to be worth buying until at least a major patch or bugfix version is released.
    Tomb Raider: Unfinished?

I get 100fps with the Vsync off.
    I sometimes wonder what people call bad ??

The acceptable minimum frame rate for a game is '25 fps'.

If it doesn't go below this your laughing.

Nobody needs a 100fps, it's just a waste.

If i was getting this frame rate i would get a bigger monitor (30", 2560*1600res).

Hiya Mark,

well i have a dell xpsm1710 with geforce go 7900 gs ...

i had the same problems...i couldnt start the game. it just loads and loads and the wheel still lagging ...

i set this registry options, and now the game starts, but in the game i had a lag every 2-3 seconds ... well well

Well,it now obvious,Eidos have not answered the questions i posted,so i guess they really dont care,i would suggest everyone that has these issues and has,take it back to the shop,explain what has happpened and demand your money back,then it upto you if you choose to let friends know about this and not to buy it,clearly it all about cash flow,and no one from Eidos seems to be reading the technical forum,they now stand along side EA as failing to act,and wanting only to make money,and not care if anyone has issues....

Poor performance Eidos,you have let down your supporters badly,remember without us you have no business

What I mean is that enough people trying to run this game don't meet the shader 3.0 requirement that Eidos/CD made a bad decision trying to force it on everyone.
    Sorry, but if you're too cheap to get with the times I don't have any pity for you - that was a business decision Eidos had to make, and they have every right to stop supporting old hardware. If you can't read it's not their fault...

What's next? People complaining because a new game doesn't run on their 486DX33?

np: Gas - Track 2 (Gas)

Quote Originally Posted by pleomax View Post
    The acceptable minimum frame rate for a game is '25 fps'.
    I beg to differ. The only acceptable framerate is a constant framerate - VSync absolutely needs to be on to eliminate tearing, and anything slower than 60 FPS will in that case automatically make it drop down to 30 FPS (and of course it'll constantly shift between 30 and 60 depending on what's on screen...)

And don't tell me you don't notice a drop from 60 down to 30 immediately and it's not annoying and immersion-killing as hell... which of course goes for tearing as well.

np: Gas - Track 3 (Gas)

Sorry, but if you're too cheap to get with the times I don't have any pity for you - that was a business decision Eidos had to make, and they have every right to stop supporting old hardware. If you can't read it's not their fault...

What's next? People complaining because a new game doesn't run on their 486DX33?

Actually the 7 series cards fully support shader model 3 its the implementation of it in the game and if we are to belive CD, nvidias drivers. Plus they themselfs say they support it on the box.

Every post i have seen you make on this forum has been no productive flaming, your not helping anyone.

Every post i have seen you make on this forum has been no productive flaming if thats your attatude then you can bugger off because your not helping anyone.
    I don't think you needed to be so rude.

The mods are in charge of this forum, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by pleomax View Post
    I don't think you needed to be so rude.

The mods are in charge of this forum, not you.
    Ok, fair enough. It would be nice if i seen a mod with more of an offical answer on matters though, the only answer we've had is from a guy whos job isnt even to be on here.
    It really has been most of the users that have been helping people through the bug fest on every platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuujin View Post
    the only answer we've had is from a guy whos job isnt even to be on here.
    jaycw = Jason Walker... he works at Eidos, him saying that it's not his job is just saying that he didn't need to reply anything, as he isn't paid for doing so. The mods don't necessarily work at Eidos, and aren't paid at all for being on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuujin View Post
    Actually the 7 series cards fully support shader model 3 its the implementation of it in the game and if we are to belive CD, nvidias drivers. Plus they themselfs say they support it on the box.
    If you read the post I replied to again it wasn't about any specific card but SM3 in general.

Every post i have seen you make on this forum has been no productive flaming, your not helping anyone.
    Too bad - at least I provide links for people to see for themselves what's up with their gear. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but when did we start shooting the messenger again?

Also - in case you hadn't noticed, this forum has a nice "ignore user" feature; if you don't like my posts maybe you should start using it?

np: Tocotronic - Ich Mag Dich Einfach Nicht Mehr So (Nach Der Verlorenen Zeit)

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    jaycw = Jason Walker... he works at Eidos, him saying that it's not his job is just saying that he didn't need to reply anything, as he isn't paid for doing so. The mods don't necessarily work at Eidos, and aren't paid at all for being on here.
    I know fine well he works at Eidos, and its nice he actully replied and gave us some sign of whats going on. We've still had no propper offical word of whats actully happening at nvidia or eidos as to a fix for many of the issues for this game.

Stuff like this sometimes happen when a new PC game comes. (remembers Alone in the Dark). Usually it's because the graphic card drivers needs to be updated. Only thing you can do is to wait for Nvidia to develop a new set of drivers. I remember with Alone in the Dark it took ATI around a month to come out with their new drivers which fixed the crashing issues in Alone in the Dark.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kroft View Post
    Stuff like this sometimes happen when a new PC game comes. (remembers Alone in the Dark). Usually it's because the graphic card drivers needs to be updated. Only thing you can do is to wait for Nvidia to develop a new set of drivers. I remember with Alone in the Dark it took ATI around a month to come out with their new drivers which fixed the crashing issues in Alone in the Dark.
    It is strange in this day and age of "well tested" software, to not have the specific driver updates for, at least, the two major manufacturers like Nvidia and ATI? (True, they have a lot of 3d-cards that need to be tested.) But, don't they have special testing-houses just for this type of work?

And with their own in-house testing, how could CD or Eidos have missed the major 7series card?
    (I wish that my UnReal Map Editor could dig-into some of the mysteries of TRU maps and perhaps some faulty pieces?)

Well, I have a laptop with discrete graphics. The motherboard was already replaced to upgrade graphics in anticipation of this game, but the requirements were beyond what my maxed out system can evidently support (and it seems I'm not alone here if you do a bit of hunting for the "Direct3D error").

Perhaps you have more disposable income than I do and wish your conspicuous consumption to be on computer hardware but I'm not really in the mood of plunking down close to $2000 to play a $50 game that will be in the $9.99 bargain bin in a couple of months.
    Tomb Raider: Unfinished?

Perhaps you have more disposable income than I do and wish your conspicuous consumption to be on computer hardware but I'm not really in the mood of plunking down close to $2000 to play a $50 game that will be in the $9.99 bargain bin in a couple of months.
    Nevermind that I built my current rig for about a third of your $2000 estimate - nobody is forcing you to buy anything as non-essential as a computer game. Also, just throwing together some parts on Newegg.com:

SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    $132.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
    $159.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $90.11

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G
    $24.49

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $49.99

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    $54.99

Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    $99.99

Grand Total: $612.55
    Add a keyboard, a mouse, a joypad and a monitor and it should be plenty to run this game...

I just can't believe people still can't do their requirements checking before buying a game; just downloading and trying the demo is enough to do that - even moreso if you have a laptop...

np: Alias & Ehren - Netting Applause (Lillian)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast