Thread: My Current Wii Review {Beware, It's Long and Full In Detail}

Lightbulb My Current Wii Review {Beware, It's Long and Full In Detail}

ALMOST, BUT NOT QUITE
    {Score is at the bottom, along with quickie pros and cons}

All That I Could See, See, See...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Firstly, the camera is very twitchy. There were moments in the game were making a jump was nearly impossible when I couldn't see where I was going. At one point in the game, during the Croft Manor level (the second-go-round), where you jump backwards off the wall to get to the block that you push against the wall, the camera was stuck at stand still when I went to approach the block, preventing me from seeing where I was going. I had to run back over to the wall, climb it, jump back off, and get the camera back to a fixed position.

What Happened To The...?
    As if this wasn't disappointing enough, a lot of the more exciting, most anticipating aspects of the game that I was ecstatic to hear would be put into the game were basically booted out. There was no dual targeting. Some parts of the levels had been scaled down, it seemed, and clumped together, making them feel smaller, and less time consuming. Some parts of the levels had also been changed. The Mediterranean, for instance, I'm sure had some moments of adrenaline in them, while climbing around the Kraken's tentacles. There were none. In fact, I was barely able to trigger adrenaline the whole time I played. Also, the portion of the Med. level where you are on Amanda's ship, seemed shorter than I thought, especially when you are running through the ship as it does it's 90 degree turn (this was the only spot that I can recall for certain had an adrenaline moment). AIYA! I also noticed the absence of the giant spiders in Southern Mexico when you reach the "Land of the Dead" portion of the level, as well as the sharks being removed from the Med. I was very disappointed in that. I was hoping to fight them (and use the tranquilizer on a few to toy with them, a weapon whose appearance was also greatly missed). There was no blood and some of the bodies did pull a Houdini, but I can live with that.

What A Sight
    I must say, even for Wii graphics, they were definitely exceptional, and the environments, though slightly different due to what the Wii is capable of, were still an eye popper. Sometimes I found myself just wandering around, seeing what else I could see or find that might catch my eye (which may have led to my delay in some of the levels). What made it more interesting was the integration of a few puzzles mixed into the environments (live the Shiva/Khali puzzle. Beautiful). I happened to notice how nicely detailed the the cutscene was that occurs after Allister is shot and brought outside of the manor. It looks as though it was taken directly from the 360/PS3 version, and brought down to the standards of the Wii, yet still keeping it in incredible "condition". That's a big plus.

Story Time
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If there's one thing that never disappoints me, it's the story. And that goes for just about every Tomb Raider I've played (which would be all of them). But TRU stood out the most in my opinion. Lara trying to achieve her goal and save her mother, while dealing with the tension between her ex-best friend, the rise of an old enemy, the return of her equally evil double, and the death of one of her dearest friends. It also felt like it was one of those "now or never" type storylines.Lara felt as though if she didn't get it right now, there would be no second chances. And in a ways, I felt her pain, even though I my parents were sitting right there the whole time, backseat driving. I was quite impressed. Fans of the Legend story should enjoy. Another big plus.

She Like To Move It, Move It
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What can I say, I'm jealous of Lara's moveset. She makes me try to be a better gymnast. But even in the absence of the majority of her default aerial flips, she still had a few. Her swan dive isn't perfect, but still good, all the same. I love, love, LOVE the idea of free climbing. It was definitely better than those cheesy white ledges, lol. Just a joke there...

Anywho, free climbing is definitely a plus, and I hope that it is used in future TRs. I also enjoyed walking on beams. I suck at it, just like I sucked at walking the tightropes in Chronicles, but I still love them. What more can I say? You guys thought of just about everything. But with every plus, there's a negative. WAAAH!

Combat...how should I put this...it stunk like gym socks in the Texas summer on a hot day.

Pointing with the pointer and shooting, well, it posed problems for me. I'm used to having the freedom of a standard controller, rather than a nunchucked set. So you can imagine that hot ass mess of a battle I had. There were times where, again, that twitchy camera spewed out of control (probably afraid of that panther as much as me), and prevented me from seeing my target.

<Pros>
    +Beautiful environments, perfect for exploring
    +The puzzles. It felt like "Vintage TR" at some points
    (Complete with controller throwing. DOUBLE TIME!)

+The story, which took my attention and held on
    for dear life

<Cons>
    -That damn camera...
    -No spiders, no sharks, no adrenaline (basically)...OH MY!
    -That Hot Pocket I dropped on the floor from trying to make
    a jump past the Kraken's attack (YOU OWE MY $1.64 FOR THAT, EIDOS!)

D:<

Overall Score (FOR THE WII VERSION ONLY)
    : 6/10
    Which, in this case, I consider a decent score.

I'm 15.
    I have no job.
    And without a 360, I wasn't allowed to fully experience TRU. While this version is still pretty good, considering the Wii's capabilities, I was still slightly disappointed. The game wasn't a bomb, but I do think it should have been worked on more before being released, just to be sure that it was the best it could be. I know the guys @ Crystal can do better, even if it is the crappity crap crap Wii. That's why my score may seem harsh. It's because I care.

Feel free to post your Wii reviews as well or compare your experience with others.

I understand how you feel. I had mixed feelings of Wow & Oh No! Nicely written review by the way.

He was my short less detailed review.

Some of the levels in TRU are very grand & beautiful as is the music, which is stunning! I've reached the last level after about 9 hours of play, which isn't the longest game but it's not bad. There is a solid great game there, sadly just not on the PS3, I think it was only just finished in time because it lacks a final polish.

The PS3 version feels certainly rushed, hideous camera, loads of bugs. The framerate drops quite a bit at certain moments. It didn't even rain when I played the Mexico level, stopped after I died once.

The autosave system on the PS3 TRU is flawed, my advise would be only rely on your manual saves. I've just had to stop halfway through the last level because the game went blank even though it was still running as I could hear the sound, tried reloading using resume game but with no luck. After the level loaded I could only see 5 seconds of the screen & then blank accept the sound. I could still call up the PDA but not the main menu? I thought I had a faulty copy! Sadly my last manual save was a few levels back but I tried loading that & thankfully it was fine. I had played it without a break since I got my copy earlier & was enjoying the game despite its noticable flaws then this happens on the last level. It kind of sums up my whole TRU experience.

The build up to the game over a year has been less then overwheling & so is the game for me. I have such mixed feelings as I see greatness in the game, yet I feel resentment for paying £49 for a CE which is the least polished & bug filled game I own on PS3. Maybe I was expecting to much from my first next-gen TR experience. I can't help feeling I've been ripped off with the PS3 version. Ripped off both in money & time, waiting so long & doing my best to promote it, because I simply love Tomb Raider.

I'm sadly not satisfyied. I'm sure if other ps3 owners have experienced similar issues then they must feel the same to a degree. It's hard to be honest & frank about something you have loved for so long, some of my passion has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    I understand how you feel. I had mixed feelings of Wow & Oh No! Nicely written review by the way.

He was my short less detailed review.

Some of the levels in TRU are very grand & beautiful as is the music, which is stunning! I've reached the last level after about 9 hours of play, which isn't the longest game but it's not bad. There is a solid great game there, sadly just not on the PS3, I think it was only just finished in time because it lacks a final polish.

The PS3 version feels certainly rushed, hideous camera, loads of bugs. The framerate drops quite a bit at certain moments. It didn't even rain when I played the Mexico level, stopped after I died once.

The autosave system on the PS3 TRU is flawed, my advise would be only rely on your manual saves. I've just had to stop halfway through the last level because the game went blank even though it was still running as I could hear the sound, tried reloading using resume game but with no luck. After the level loaded I could only see 5 seconds of the screen & then blank accept the sound. I could still call up the PDA but not the main menu? I thought I had a faulty copy! Sadly my last manual save was a few levels back but I tried loading that & thankfully it was fine. I had played it without a break since I got my copy earlier & was enjoying the game despite its noticable flaws then this happens on the last level. It kind of sums up my whole TRU experience.

The build up to the game over a year has been less then overwheling & so is the game for me. I have such mixed feelings as I see greatness in the game, yet I feel resentment for paying £49 for a CE which is the least polished & bug filled game I own on PS3. Maybe I was expecting to much from my first next-gen TR experience. I can't help feeling I've been ripped off with the PS3 version. Ripped off both in money & time, waiting so long & doing my best to promote it, because I simply love Tomb Raider.

I'm sadly not satisfyied. I'm sure if other ps3 owners have experienced similar issues then they must feel the same to a degree. It's hard to be honest & frank about something you have loved for so long, some of my passion has gone.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I found myself, often, saying "Aw what happened to...?"
    I still like the game, but on the Wii, I think it's just what it is: another Wii game.
    I was still impressed with what they came up with, but with all the cutouts and changes in the game (which were quite a few changes, btw), I felt cheated just a bit.

It was like playing a totally different game, not TRU.
    xD

Luckily I will be getting a 360 soon and I'll be able to play what CD intended to be in the game, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed in that department.

Smile

It's a shame, because you're right there is a great game there. I've read a lot of awful things about the Wii version. Like you I feel ripped off, it was like I was play testing a beta version, & my TRU CE cost £49, nearly a $100.

As fot the 360 version, it's the version they put all the effort into clearly so for the best TRU experiennce I think you're doing the right thing.

I would have more respect for Eidos if thet just made it an xbox/PC exclusive, as much as I love TR because the other versions are half hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    It's a shame, because you're right there is a great game there. I've read a lot of awful things about the Wii version. Like you I feel ripped off, it was like I was play testing a beta version, & my TRU CE cost £49, nearly a $100.

As fot the 360 version, it's the version they put all the effort into clearly so for the best TRU experiennce I think you're doing the right thing.

I would have more respect for Eidos if thet just made it an xbox/PC exclusive, as much as I love TR because the other versions are half hearted.
    WOW, that's a lot.
    o_____o

Yeah, that seems like the ONLY option, at the moment.
    xD

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so fustrated earlier today(17 minutes ago).

I finally got T.R.U. but neither the family computer nor my mom's laptop met the requirements. I watched Xbox and Wii versions of the same levels *gasp*and the Wii looked ATROCIOUS( I think thats how you spell it... ) but the only consoles I have are the PC and the Wii *gasp* and the PC is not an option but the Wii looks worse than nothing*gasp* and I already spent my $50.00 on TRU and Christmas presents*gasp* but I saved up $70.00 from Christmas loot...

*hyperventilating*

Those smilies respond to the order of my emotions during the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzZjSBLLwE

do you think I should get the Wii version ??? It all depends on your opinion...
    You know Long-Distance Relationships Inevetibly Come to an End.

Did anyone else have a problem with the stupid disappearing switch inThailand? I hate the Wii for its many glitches. Grrrr . . . > Also the character models Mainly Amanda and Lara were ugly. Plus the cheesy way of doing the laptop. I could go on and on and on.
    "Cheese is nice. Practically perfect in every way." And no, I DIDN'T STEAL THAT FROM MARY POPPINS!