Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official User Reviews Thread**

Okay: my review for Underworld: I've played it on Ps3 so far, but I will on other platforms as well. I don't like numbers so here's my text review:

The overall feeling and atmosphere of the game created my the design of the enviroments, the beauty of the grafics and perticually that of the music is just awesome: it realy stands out as quality work and shows how a 2008 platform game should feel like. Thought it may not be the utter best grafics out there I can safely say Underworld features the best music I've ever heard in a game. The puzzles were challenging and yet not frustrating, you've struck the balance for me there Crystal D.

Unfortunatly: its true what they said about the camera and the animations, do I need to go on?

Combat was decent for a Tomb Raider game, but its still messy compared to more specialized actiongames. Although this is a game about platforming and exploring: the moment she draws her guns the game is competing directly to those big boys in the action-genre.
    I must say though that respawning enemies is not good in a game thats all about exploration. I'm talking about the big poison room where thralls keep spawning when you come back to a certain platform. It was so unlikely I wonder whether is was a bug... was it?

Now the story is a bit paradoxical: it was epic enough and sucked me in completely, but that is also why I got a bad feeling about certain tragic happenings. First of all, Alister's death served no purpose at all, why taking him out? I do hope trolling fanboys played no part in that, because there's also lots of people who did like the two new guys from Legend. Major dissapointment there. Secondly: after two games following the mothers quest the end of it feels like a massive anti-climax. Finaly we arrive in Avalon and guess what? All the efforts and adventures, everything we've been through for the last 3 years was just to find a long-dead zombie. Its like running 500 meters and then smashing into a brick wall, especialy since the end of Legend was very optimistic: 'Killed her? She's not dead!'. I'm not kidding: it left me rather depressed since I was, like a said, totaly sucked into the story.
    I did like the return of Amanda and Natla though, and the reconciliation with the former and the death of the latter (or maybe not, who knows?).
    We were promised that Lara would endager the world, maybe I missed something, but I believe she saved the world after all...

So thats it: two objections of technical nature and one major personal complain about the rather depressing nature of the story. Other than that I think Underworld is perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Okay: my review for Underworld: I've played it on Ps3 so far, but I will on other platforms as well. I don't like numbers so here's my text review:

The overall feeling and atmosphere of the game created my the design of the enviroments, the beauty of the grafics and perticually that of the music is just awesome: it realy stands out as quality work and shows how a 2008 platform game should feel like. Thought it may not be the utter best grafics out there I can safely say Underworld features the best music I've ever heard in a game. The puzzles were challenging and yet not frustrating, you've struck the balance for me there Crystal D.

Unfortunatly: its true what they said about the camera and the animations, do I need to go on?

Combat was decent for a Tomb Raider game, but its still messy compared to more specialized actiongames. Although this is a game about platforming and exploring: the moment she draws her guns the game is competing directly to those big boys in the action-genre.
    I must say though that respawning enemies is not good in a game thats all about exploration. I'm talking about the big poison room where thralls keep spawning when you come back to a certain platform. It was so unlikely I wonder whether is was a bug... was it?

Now the story is a bit paradoxical: it was epic enough and sucked me in completely, but that is also why I got a bad feeling about certain tragic happenings. First of all, Alister's death served no purpose at all, why taking him out? I do hope trolling fanboys played no part in that, because there's also lots of people who did like the two new guys from Legend. Major dissapointment there. Secondly: after two games following the mothers quest the end of it feels like a massive anti-climax. Finaly we arrive in Avalon and guess what? All the efforts and adventures, everything we've been through for the last 3 years was just to find a long-dead zombie. Its like running 500 meters and then smashing into a brick wall, especialy since the end of Legend was very optimistic: 'Killed her? She's not dead!'. I'm not kidding: it left me rather depressed since I was, like a said, totaly sucked into the story.
    I did like the return of Amanda and Natla though, and the reconciliation with the former and the death of the latter (or maybe not, who knows?).
    We were promised that Lara would endager the world, maybe I missed something, but I believe she saved the world after all...

So thats it: two objections of technical nature and one major personal complain about the rather depressing nature of the story. Other than that I think Underworld is perfection.
    Lara did endanger the world,

Cool review Jurre, i was sucked into the story too

Quote Originally Posted by josh1122 View Post
    Lara did endanger the world,
    Well okay, but I think it would be more intriguing if she did it all by herself: not being aware of her mistakes due to arrogance and single-mindedness: that was the theme of Anniversary and I expected it would continue here...
    Cool review Jurre, i was sucked into the story too
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Crystal View Post
    Here is a place for you to give your Official User Reviews on Tomb Raider Underworld, once you have picked up your copy of the game!

Give the game an overall score.
    Tell us what platform you played on.
    What you liked/disliked about the game.

Feel free to give ratings on anything else like:
    Music/SFX
    Puzzles
    Graphics
    Environments
    Enemies/Combat
    Controls
    Camera

Thanks in advance.

~Chris
    Crystal Dynamics

Overall 7.5/10

Platform PC

What I liked: For the most part the story was great and really interesting and it was great to see Natla and Amanda back again. My favorite levels were Thailand and Mexico, they were so well done.

What I didn't like: The fact that there were no "bosses" first of all, the game was so supremely easy it was like walking through because there was nobody to really fight. I was really looking forward to a showdown with Natla or the Doppleganger but not one single level had a boss and that was really dissappointing. Also, Avalon and the tie-up of Lara's Mother's story were disappointing as well. Lara's Mother's thing just seemed to end and that was something i was really looking forward to and Avalon and the entire ending level just seemed like a copy of Natla's mine and The Great Pyramid from Anniversary.

Music: 9 (great as always)

Puzzles: 9 (nice, more complex than Legend)

Graphics: 10 (perfect)

Environments: 8 (again, thailand and mexico A+, Avalon...dissappointing and short)

Enemies/Combat: 6 (the tigers and panthers were cool but no bosses!?! too easy!)

Controls: 7 (how come we couldn't set it how we wanted? I liked the scroll (center) mouse button controlling my weapons and the right mouse button being jump, but we couldn't set it to that!)

Camera: 7.5 (still spazzy at times, a little improved from the previous games)
    "WHERE"--BANG!--"IS"--BANG!--"MY"--BANG!--"MOTHER!" (u freak is what she meant to add)

Well im gonna make this as detailed as possible the graphics=, oh forget it let me spare you the time the whole entire game gets a big super fun, exciting, not boring, best game of the year, superb story, no flaws, beautiful environments sexy Lara Croft 10 10 10 hold up you know what this game deserves a 1000000000000000)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Yes its that FUN!!!!!!!!!! outstanding job crystal dynamics keep it up keep making tomb raider games keep them coming.

Missing Fun!!!!!!!!!!

Now Maybe these things have already been posted in a previous thread(s)

let me first off say that I play(ed) the 360 version of TRU
    and have beaten the game ( it was amazing)

but I am ( and hopefully not the the only one) mad that

first off, when you are playing the game there is no way to really get to the menu screen (no quit option)

2nd I am mad they got rid of the replay level option ( level selector), and also that you can't pick a different difficulty for the level you want. I realize you can pretty much pick every section of of every level from the load game part, but what if you would have accidentally overwritten a part of a level, not knowing there wasn't a level selector ( I almost did) you would have screwed yourself over

3rd I am mad that they got rid of the time trial modes for each level ( with acheivements)

4th I am mad they got rid fo the achievements for the treasures and relics ( which are the gold, bronze and silver treasures)

they could have used over 20 or so more, cause they are at 32 now

and ohhhhh lastly one of the best parts of legend was that you could pick to watch a certain cutscene ( cinematic) from the menu without having to play through the game just to see it, it was one of the only games ( I've played) that you could do that, and with TRL I watched that last cutscene over 100 or more times!!!!!!!!!!!
    and want to do the same with ( spoilers) three main parts
    1.where the dopplerganger first appears, and lara and her meet
    2. where lara sees her mother and amanda shows up
    3. where lara meets natla after she gets the hammer
    4. the end cutscene

and last but not least I loved the quicktime events ( pressing a certain button, like a or b ect.), and even though the adrenaline events ( having to jump or move quickly while in slow-mo) grew on me, I liked the QTU events a lot better, but don't over use them like in anniversary

and futhermore I want back the boss fights, even though the end with natla was intense as hell, if you would have killed her yourself, it would have been better, and if you would have fought the dopplerganger too that would have been amazing!!!!!!!!!

I also thought the character story was beyond amazzzzzzzzzzing but the norse mythology plot was mediocre, mostly because I had seen it allll in too human....

now beyond these minor things I lovvvvvvvvved TRU soooo much, and yes I know it doesn't effect the gameplay or the story, but to me they were what made legend one of the greatest games ever ( in my mind), up there with the halo trilogy and gears 1 and 2...

but I know deep down inside legend is still a little bit bettter ( I think) , than TRU

I hope I am not just complaining, and someone else cares about the things above

so again does anyone else care?????????

( and hopefully eric lindstrom ( spelling), you will see this and add them back in TR9)

that's all
    bye now nate

I'm Positive

NaughtyGirl

it is quite sillyyyyy!!!!!!!!! how on the ds both are unlocked and accessable

but I can also understand how it would be alottttt easier to do, because the graphics aren't at allll as good on there compared to consoles, and also the hardware is easier to make....

now if someone can prove to me that I am wrong than that would help alot.....

and I would love you forevvvvvvvvvver!!!!!!

thanks Nate

Smile

I played on wii and loved it it was amazing i give it a 8.9 almost a 9
    Music/SFX 8 i liked the tiger theme song
    Puzzles 8 they were good but not that hard
    Graphics8.5 they looked nice concerning the wii limitation
    Environments8.5
    Enemies/Combat 4.0 there wasnt realy anything to fight barely it was mostly exploring
    Controls 8.0 i wish there were more moves for the wii version
    Camera8.5 nice camera

i diddnt realy like that lara diddnt find her mother and that there wasnt realy anything to fight it would have been better if you can fight alot with the exploration 2 both would have been good and her costumes were alright but wish there was more and more detail they looked like a paleish color and there should have been a quiting option to go to the main screen and a cinematics section.

Overall score: 4 - Could of got 8 but the huge number of bugs, control issues and the shortness of the game, dropped the score to 4

Platform: PC

Music/ FX: 7

The music was pretty good, tempo and track enhanced the feel of the game, and was variable enough.

Puzzles: 6

What puzzles there were, were ok, nice to go back a bit to what tombraider is all about, there just were not enough and they were too easy.

Graphics: 8

Good, nice depth and realism (except on Lara who looked like she was made of rubber most of the time, other than that she moved well and looked good). I had a number of graphics glitches, and even the famous hair going across the whole screen (only occurred once on the last level), most graphics issues were resolved by putting all settings to the highest level.

Environments: 6

Looked good, but were way too small and short.

Enemies/ Combat: 6

Combat was hit an miss, sometimes the enemy's just stood there and let you shoot, other times they charged at you and avoided all close combat moves to hit Lara. Close combat was a good idea but was implemented poorly.

Controls: 2

If they worked they would have been good. But more often than not i found Lara doing random things i.e.

*) While running in a straight line press jump, and she jumps off to the right or left.
    *) Running along and Lara will just stop, no movement controls then worked until jump was pressed and she became unstuck.
    *) Running along and Lara would just stop (normally if there was a switch or covered hole under her feet), but the controls do not lock up.
    *) When ledge hanging when pressing the direction the next ledge is in, instead of jumping across the small gap between ledges, she would jump away from the wall.
    *) While swimming, if you are swimming forwards then change to swim in the opposite direction she would freeze instead of doing the revers direction roll.
    *) The funniest control bug was when putting down the weight blocks on switches. If they are just put down and then u move lara in any direction the box would fly across the screen in random directions and would never stay where they should be. The only way to place a block was to put it down and wait until it had moved from where u place it, then wait for lara to automatically move to the same place and stand on the block. Then jump straight up, after that has all been done you can move and the block will stay where u placed it.
    *) When picking up relics, Lara quite often steps towards it, then steps away, then towards etc until you manually reposition Lara and try again.
    *) Whilst spinning round the bars, if you press Jump at the wrong time noting will happen, until Lara has completed another revolution, and then without having to press jump lara will automatically jump off.

Camera: 5

The camera was ok ish, as long as you always controlled it manually it was not too bad, a tad too close. But there are numerous times, when the camera moves in the middle of Lara doing something which changes what the controls do and cause Lara to jump in the wrong direction or run of a ledge. There are also quite a few times when all you can see is Lara on the screen and you can not move the camera into any usable position to see where you need to go next, so you essentially have to jump blindly.

Stabilty: 6

For the most part it ran smooth as silk even on the highest settings with a fast framrate, However there were a number of crashes too the desktop through out the game. Some where random, and others I could replicate buy going to the same spot in the game which would guarantee a ctd. Luckily there were not too many of these. There was also an occasion where if Lara was facing in a certain direction the frame rate would plummet, change direction and it would run smooth again, change back and the rate would drop again.

Summary:

If Underworld and Legend had been combined into one game, it would have been great and got a 10/10 score. However both games were far too short and easy.

At times in Underworld, I really got what the developers were aiming for and started to really enjoy the game, and then the annoying bugs occurred again and spoiled everything. It was a real shame that the game was not delayed for a month and polished to a decent level before the game was released.

My Reviews I give on Tomb Raider Underworld game

Tomb Raider Underworld overall sore- 8
    Platform I played on was a PS3

Out of a rating score of 10 being the highest and 1 the lowest
    Music/SFX -9 music and sound was the best
    Puzzels-6 not enough of a challenge to easy
    Graphis-10 flawless absolutely stunning
    Enviroments-8 loved it all but lack color (it is ok to put color in the tombs that are not there in real life that is what makes it so stunning to look at. Need more color) on the other hand Thailand was marvelous.
    Enemies/Cmbat-9 great combat but need more different types of animals in the levels.( like about 7 or 10 different types of animals all in one levels you know more verity in animals in the levels of the game and put more humans in the game to)
    Controls-10 love them (but add back flips and the sides steps back in the game)
    Camera-5 sorry not so good but love that I could move the camera my self keep that in the game)

What I liked about TRU game
    It had a really good story line this time and the story line was not short like in TR Legend.
    Environments, Music/SFX and Graphics was great

What I disliked about TRU game is that
    Game was to short
    Not enough levels
    Felt like I could not go into some areas like up the stars in her yacht or jump on her future if I wanted to. I felt like I was in a barrier at times.
    Dull plan color in the tombs areas
    No building areas to go into

TR Legend had tombs areas and building areas which was the perfect balance for TR games. Put this in the next TR game. And, also build Lara Croft a new mansion.

Some advises I would give Crystal Dynamics
    Is to play Tomb Raider II, III, Angle of Darkness, and Chronicle before release the next TR game. And don’t play it for the story line (pay no attention to story line ) but play it to learn how they put the game together, The hug levels, the harness of the game, the game length, the traps they have and the characters interactive cut scene they have thought the level. The color they have in there tombs and buildings. TR games only need to be half realistic and the rest Fiction too must realistic and you get a boring game.

Better than TR Legend
    About the same as TR Anniversary only thing TR Underworld have better story line

Crystal Dynamics you did a great job with Tomb Raider underworld game but it could be better.there were lost of ups and downs abut this game for me. but still love it very much keep up the good work.

Overall - 8/10 PS3

I loved it, albeit short. Then again, I was just trying to finish to see what happened story wise.

STORY- Awesome. The way it wrapped up TRA & TRL were amazing. It was as realistic and honest as possible. My only point is Natla. Why did she want to bring the seventh age, just to destroy the earth and mankind, why? What's in it for her? also, I would have loved to have seen a longer and more agonizing death scene for her. I mean, She did even see it coming, I was hoping for a " wicked witch of the west" scene where she is almost shocked that Lara has defeated her.

GRAPHICS - Amazing.

TECH - The weather system was amazing, the lights, shadowing; amazing. Now, the game was buggy. It crashed on me TWICE, but the autosave allowed me to resume. I did have to restart in Mexico because of bug. The infamous "gap" issue.

PUZZLES - Not easy, but not too difficult. I chalk it up to being more experienced and knowing what to expect.

OUTFITS - I liked all the outfits, but wold have loved to been able to choose as in TRL. I think TRL outfit selection system was better.

WEAPONS - As long as I have my dual pistols, I'm happy.

RELICS - Again, I think the save system of TRL was better. I do like the fact that enemies are dead, but I don't live the game save system for "Treasure Hunt"

Other - unlockable cutscenes for finishing the game would have been nice. It was the first thing I wanted to do when I finished the game, and what happened to the in game pictures thing?

So, overall, I was very pleased. I love TR and will always support the making of another. Keep up the good work.
    signature image

I'm not in the mood for a long review, so I'm gonna do a short one

Platform: Xbox 360
    Music: I think the music was good, but sometimes I actually thought it was a bit nagging and annoying.
    Puzzles: Still too easy in my opinion. It didn't take a long time figuring out what we had to do, so I'm a bit bummed there. But it was better than Legend!
    Graphics: Really good
    Enemies/Combat: Enemies are ok, and I liked that we can kick them down, and also the part where we have to stomp the Thralls, but I miss the headshot the way it was in TRA.
    Theme: I really liked the norse mythology theme, because I've always liked the myths of the norse gods (maybe because I'm from Norway and have learned about this myth in school) and I think they did a really good job with it

I have to add that sometimes the audio was really annoying, the voices were too low, and the backround music/enviorment sounds were too high, so a lot of times I had trouble hearing what the characters said

*spoilers ahead, don't read if you haven't played the game yet*

All in all I think it was a good game, but I don't know if I'm happy with the storyline. It felt a bit rushed sometimes, some of the cutscenes were too short (at least in my opinion) and some things were not always explained good enough, or even at all.
    And I don't really feel that the story is finished. Once again we did not get to se Natla die, we just saw her falling into the blue stuff, which technically should turn her into a Thrall, and we didn't actually se Lara killing her mother either, since throughout the game we were told that we had to stomp on the thralls to kill them, and Lara just shot her of the cliff. So Amelia is probably still thralling around down there
    I was hoping the end would give some kind of closure to this story, but I feel that there are too many unanswered questions

Exclamation Tomb Raider: Underwhelmed

(PC Version)

Cons
    I agree wholeheartedly with most of the others who have posted here that TRU has some wonderful aspects. However, am I the only one who feels that the story is lacking? I just don't feel any kind of emotional connection with Lara in TRU like I did with the previous games (TRL/TRA). I really liked the Norse aspect, as it pulls away from the usual lore and themes that one sees in these types of games. (i.e. Egyptian, South American, etc...) Although I get the feeling that whomever was involved with this game's theme watched a lot of the "Cities of the Underworld" series on the History Channel.

I feel like the puzzles were made simpler, but spread out over a larger area than in previous Tomb Raider games in order to give it that epic feel. But the fact of the matter is they're still simpler than before. I found that very disappointing. I also recall from previous games that some of the puzzles and jumping sequences required some pretty dexterous eye/hand coordination and I just didn't feel challenged at all in this department when playing TRU

Can anyone say SHORT game? My second time through I finished in just over 5 hours. It's true that one can add a considerable amount of game time by going through and finding all of the treasures and artifacts. But since the Extras (unlockables) aren't nearly as robust as they were in TRL/TRA, I just don't see much of an incentive in trying to hunt them all down. I'm not going to spend hours looking for that missing artifact when all I get in return are more still pictures of concept art.

I think the controls and mechanics need to be tightened up quite a bit. Again, this is the PC version I'm talking about. Lots of times Lara will get hung up on a beam (particularly at the spot where 2 beams meet) or on low slopping geometry. In the later case, I was always able to get out of it by firing the grappling gun, but it's an annoyance none the less.

Lack of any kind of boss fights was extremely anti-climactic. I have to wonder whether this was a creative decision or a business one in order to get the product out before Christmas. If it was a business decision - you just shot yourself in the foot.

Pros
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but kudos for shrinking Lara's....um... proportions. Her figure was just a bit too extreme and cartoon-ish before. Lara's a "tad" more on the gymnast side of the spectrum now. Before she was more on the porn star side of it. I also liked that you can actually see dirt on her after rolling, somersaulting, and climbing around in ancient tombs. Now you just need to do something about that spray-painted-magazine-model-makeup look she's got going on. Somehow I don't see a gynamnast/archaeologist/gun-toting/adventurer in flawless eye shadow, mascara, and lip stick while doing all that she does. Keep her attractive, of course. After all, you are targeting a specific demographic with this character, but could we tone it down a tad? I find myself getting drawn away from the game by it.

Music was very apropos. Fit the game perfectly. Couldn't have done a better job in my opinion

Graphics were quite an improvement from previous games. The scenery is just simply beautiful.

I liked the new combat system. It's much more challenging than before. Before you could always trump the enemy when overwhelmed by bouncing off their heads. Now you have to choose you're adrenaline usage carefully. At least much more carefully than in previous games. I also like that enemies don't drop ammo. You actually have to choose the best weapon for the job; and therefore use less ammo. If you run out... tough. Better switch to the next best thing.

Really liked how the all-terrain-motorcycle was incorporated this time through. Much more fun than those bike levels from TRL. I always disliked those levels.

Voice acting was awesome as usual.

I really liked how you changed those "hit this button/key now" mini-game/cutscenes from the previous games into the "time slow" moments in TRU.

Conclusion
    Although this game has some great improvements over previous ones in the series, I feel it lacked substance. It just felt really empty after completing it. So much in fact, that I'll be reinstalling TRA. I feel that even though TRU kicks the crap out of the others in graphics, music, and most game play aspects, TRA/TRL were just better games as a whole. The previous games had more engrossing stories; puzzles and jump sequences with greater difficulty; and Extras that make you want to invest the time to unlock them all. TRA/TRL we're more fulfilling to me as a gamer even though they aren't as "shiny" as TRU.

Might be long

A look to the Underworld (PC Version)

I didn’t Play Tomb Raider from the beginning, also, I haven’t played them all through, but I love this serial. The story’s always interesting because it refers to myths and you can experience it on your own – not just read or hear it anywhere. And it’s not different this time.
    So it’s been, I think, a year since I waited for the freshest Part of Lara Croft’s lifetime-adventure. The first thing I noticed when I was playing the Demo was, that it doesn’t look new. But as I got through the small jungle of Thailand, I found out new things. By now, at the end of the game, I can tell better what was awesome and what was terrible.

Advanced game play
    It seemed there wasn’t much to discover concerning the game play – at first. But in Tomb Raider Underworld there are far more possibilities now and you have to interact more with your surroundings. Not only putting staffs in the right positions, you can use them as a weapon. Also the hook can be used for more than just to swing to the other side. You can use it to get easy lower sections or to get rid of barriers. The closing is easy: The more possibilities you have, the more challenges you get and the more challenging is your surroundings.
    One thing I also noticed was that sometimes even when you die and haven’t reached a checkpoint yet, the setting stays for example the activation of a door. So you don’t have to go all the way through again. But that might be coincidental, sometimes it didn’t work.
    New on Tomb Raider is the possibility to choose a weapon and outfit for Lara right before starting the level. That weapon will have infinite ammo, but you’ll never get another weapon. Also new and a good idea are the level options. You can set the endurance of her opponents, amount of ammo and the damage rate.
    The quick time events have been removed, instead there are dangerous situations where time slows down to think about what to do next.

The Atmosphere is most important…
    … And the element that creates it is not the graphic, but the sound. The music is partially typical for Tomb Raider, but there are noticeable improvements. This might be connected to the more cinematic build events. The music pushes the experience almost to a living moving level, which rarely seems misplaced.
    The voice acting is – at least in the German version – very good. Lara’s German voice is the sexiest and most charming voice ever. It’s like that since TR IV hopefully it’ll be that way for ever. But there are moments where the dialogues getting drowned by the score, so make sure the subtitles are on.

Edifice Raider
    By now, Lara’s not just breaking in some tombs and taking a little souvenir, but she’s climbing over many constructions to get only parts of keys to some mighty artifacts. In early days Lara just climbed, jumped and run all the time in the same way for hours to get things, over which you wonder “was it worth it”? But Tomb Raider Underworld offers you much more diversion with climbing on borders, rods, poles and newly single rocks or even valves. Also, not everything is prepared so you have to watch out for things lying around, taking them and attach them to certain places.
    Even though the puzzles are more challenging than in Legend or Anniversary, it still isn’t difficult. Maybe I'm just so smart, but I never needed the Hint/Help-feature which by the way is a great Idea for beginners. Once you know all tricks, there won’t be many more challenges. However, the puzzles keep the same and it’s not going to change, but the variety bewares the game from getting boring.

A visual orgasm
    Even though the newer Tomb Raider (Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld) look simple made, they are visually stunning. You may not see a big difference compared to the last two games, but the graphic’s still great so it doesn’t matter. Especially the light effects are one of the visual literally highlights of the new Tomb Raider games.
    A thing that’s perceivable is Lara’s changing. After rolling on the floor, she gets dirty and after coming out of the water, she is wet and shines. It’s clear that Crystal Dynamics takes the path to realism. Hopefully they don’t concentrate on that and keep the eye on the game play. Lara’s movements have partially improved. She makes more moves, but it doesn’t always look good. She’s moving her legs pretty tense when she’s swimming. Also other motions look halting when she overdoes it (quickly climbing / jumping / running around).

No need to go to vacation
    It’s been almost a year since Tomb Raider Underworld was announced and when you’re through the game you ask yourself “How come the game’s so short? What did they do all the time?” One possible answer is the creating of the breathtaking, atmospheric, intoxicating environment. From the distance you see just buildings, but as you get closer you realize that there are rocks and plants and animals everywhere, which actually are a part of the whole construction. The surrounding is very well made makes you almost feel like you’re on vacation.
    In this place I want to mention the water level. They're mostly unclear so it takes long time to get where you want but not here. Swimming and diving makes so much more fun and it never gets annoying because it's well arranged even though it’s not a small area. The levels are generally more open, like Mexico, where you can drive where you like to. You can choose your path, which can be confusing (you need a map where you can make a note that you already been there) or very thrilling, there’s not just “the one way.”

Getting away with stealing
    Something was missing the whole playtime: The bosses. The octopus did nothing more the breath and sometimes trying to hit you, but it was more a handicap than an opponent. Not even a final combat with Natla or fake Lara, sadly.
    The combat system itself is okay. You can fight with anything you find for example cubes or staffs. You can shoot on two enemies at the same time, but avoiding is nearly impossible. For it you can use adrenalin to focus one kill shot that terminates the battle quickly.

Controller stands for what it’s called
    I played with an XBOX360-Controller, after finding that the keyboard was a bit unusual for me, and it was just perfect. The camera wasn't annoying anymore and you don't have to press complicated keys for actions like the adrenalin shot. Still, Lara doesn’t always do what you tell her to, sometime she jumps after another action instead of during, but that was rarely the case.
    The Bike returns and isn’t that easy to control either. It was a bit too sensitive. The biking parts were fun though.

If you could see through Lara’s eyes
    It was really the worst thing in the whole game. In moments, where you can’t afford it at all, the camera just does what it wants. It's not getting better controlled by mouse. In such situations it’s perhaps not possible to see what’s behind you during climbing or what is in the abyss before you. There is a new tool called the Sonarmap, but it wasn’t helpful too… like at all. It’s not a new problem; the camera has been annoying since Tomb Raider Legend. Either you get used to it or you look at it as an additional challenge.

Myths and Legends never die
    One thing all Lara Croft fans appreciate are the well thought stories with more or less true (but not necessarily real) mythologies. Lara Croft continues the search after her mother and there will be old known people and it also refers to the first Tomb Raider respectively Anniversary. This explains the sentence “Sometimes to understand the future you have to go to the past”.
    The ending was really an ending, so there will be no continuation of that story, even though a good friend died. Also the whole story goes a bit too fast, so you can’t really empathize with the characters – especially with Lara. And it’s often a monologue, Alister and Zip are missing.
    Very Interesting was the mythology of Thor, as well as the connection to Avalon, the Maya-calendar.

Looking forward to things that never come
    A big hole in the extras-section: The playable Croft Manor, Cheats, time trial, the many different Outfits and the special treasures are missing. These were the most important motivators for a replay.
    Now, there’s only the treasure searching left which is more difficult because of the big levels and the high amount. So if you’re a real tomb raider, you’ll spend more time playing that game.

Conclusion
    After playing this game through I thought “how could this get better”? Of course there are some things to correct like the movements, the A.I. of the opponents, the camera problem etc. But concerning the game play, Tomb Raider Underwold almost reached its limit. Crystal Dynamics could now focus more on realism, graphics and especially playtime. It’s not a good sign when you ask yourself at the end of the game “was that it?” Either way I’m really curious to see what is coming next.
    But here a small Input: Covering-System for Lara, first-person view, a greater jumping distance (when sprinting), manual reloading, new vehicles, open world, Boss fights,
    I’d give this game 9 points out of ten, because it’s really almost so far I could say “I don’t need improvements, just give me new levels.”

To sum up:
    Gamplay:
    + more possibilities
    + checkpoint
    + weapon choice
    + challenge options
    + slowed time in dangerous situations
    9/10

Sound
    + Great Music and Sound Effects
    - Sometimes too loud or misplaced
    10/10

Puzzles
    - no big challenge for experts
    + more diversion
    + hint & help feature
    7/10

Graphics
    + more details
    + Beautiful Light
    + muddy / wet skin
    - halting movements
    9/10

Enviroment
    + lovely details and stunning atmosphere
    + überschaubares waterlevel
    + More open levels
    11/10

Combat
    - no boss fights
    + using stuffs to fight
    + adrenalin mode
    8/10

Controller
    - too sensitive bike
    9/10

Camera
    - camera oft does what it wants
    - sonarmap is not useful
    6/10

Story
    + referring to old previous games
    + interesting mythologies and legends
    - too fast
    - too many monologues
    8/10

Extras
    - almost replay motivations
    5/10

Overall:
    9/10

The biggest thing for me as stated by others, Is the lack of unlockables.

Freaking Terrible.

I still have Legend and Anniversary installed on my PC, and still play them, to attempt;

Time Trials.
    Collections.
    Unlockables.

Like others, Tomb Raiders are relatively easy games, even on 'super death hard mode.'

What kept me going were time trials mostly.

I want you to understand this is coming from someone who owns every Tomb Raider game made, and am second guessing buying this one.

Why?

I read it is very short.

And without anything to unlock at the end, aside concept art.

Tell me why, I should blow 60$ on a game that gives me about 10 hours gameplay, without any replayability.

I love Tomb Raiders. I really really do.

However lack of time trials, costume unlocks(really could be anything, but costumes I suppose are what most want) really anything to do once the story is gone does not make it seem to merit a purchase.

Perhaps a rental, which is bad. I own 1-TRL as it is.

Please, never again omit time trials and unlockables. While I imagine they seem a small part to a dev staff trying to get the game out for christmas, that is your playerbases replayability.

People here have already beaten the game, and now have nothing to do.

Come on.

EDIT* I would just like to add for Crystal Dynamics;

I believe you guys are some of the most taltented devs in the business in the third person games, due to the Legacy of Kain games. I have those on a pedestal above pretty much anything in this genre, as they are truly among the best third person games ever; even having such an epic theme as Ozar Midrashim etc. I hope you continue to make Tomb Raiders, and perhaps another LoK game someday... just please add some kind of replay options like previous titles. That is really such a killer to a gamer like me.

Cheers.

Thumbs Up 8/10 platform pc

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

First I need to say two things:
    1) I have no idea how long I played, I lost track of time.
    2) This is the first TR I did not need to use a walkthrough

Let's start with only positive things and I will try to give contructive cristicism.

The music:
    Good, no...Perfect. I ended up not making it to the closing temple in mexico on my bike on purpose, just to listen to the music...

"What can Lara do?"
    Well everything. During the game I never thought: "man I wish she could do thát!" Her movements are complete.
    Like others have said her animations sometimes miss frames. I don't really care about that, it just looks like a rush job this way. It's a missed chance to make this game even better.

Controls
    The everyday controls were fine. All I needed to change were the roll (I made it shift) and sprint (that's now control). But this is because of me, I have very small hands and like rolling better than sprinting.
    I abolutely hated the adrenaline moments(not talking about headshots, those work fine)! Because I use the mouse to steer it was absolutely a nightmare to control Lara during these adrenaline moments. This actually cause a major glitch in de place of fear. In the room with the blades and spikes I had trouble getting through. After a few tries, the trap froze, leaving the bars in the middle down from floor to cealing with Lara still on the other side. It was impossible to reactivate the trap or get to the tablet on the other side. I had to use a savegame.
    The bike has a similar problem as the adrenaline movements, steering with the mouse is impossible, which made it very hard for me to control the bike.

Enemies
    Why are we shooting at poachers? They're not really part of the story end we end up shooting the puma's anyway. This made absolutely no sense to me.
    Besides that, the enemies were fine. I did miss the end bosses though. Even The end with Natla wasn't really a boss fight.

Puzzles
    They made sense. As I stated earlyer I did not need a walkthrough and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Many times the puzzles were very obvious on how to solve them and sometimes they involved some fooling around before you could solve them. I missed getting stuck at a hard puzzle but on the other hand I felt really clever when I was able to solve them all by myself.

Environments/levels
    Wow. Small, but epic indeed. The underwater levels are stunning and very detailed. The land levels were also extremely detailed.
    The pots were extremly lame. Really, what are they doing in the places where they were? I sometimes stopped the bike to kick some vases and it feels really lame when those vases end up to be empty...
    Also, in mexico, it was raining and the sun was shining but I could find no rainbow or even blue sky. Guess this is a small mistake.

Story
    Shock after shock. Good and scary. To bad we played several games to go and rescue Lara's mother and now this happens... Like we did it all in vain.

Things I extremly loved:
    Shooting giant spiders with a head shot. Seeing them splash apart in slomo is gorgeously disgusting.

The rolling of the guards bones after you've jumped on them. Great!

Using Thors hammer even though it's a cheap copie of using excaliber.

Lara's facial animations. She sure looks real.

Also love the way lara sometimes stumbles after a crappy jump. And the way she falls down great hights.

So far so good, now I'll go treasure hunting and find me some relics. Can't wait for the next TR!
    "I woke up this morning and I just hated everything." -Lara Croft-

Quote Originally Posted by r00ster View Post
    The biggest thing for me as stated by others, Is the lack of unlockables.

Freaking Terrible.

I still have Legend and Anniversary installed on my PC, and still play them, to attempt;

Time Trials.
    Collections.
    Unlockables.

Like others, Tomb Raiders are relatively easy games, even on 'super death hard mode.'

What kept me going were time trials mostly.

I want you to understand this is coming from someone who owns every Tomb Raider game made, and am second guessing buying this one.

Why?

I read it is very short.

And without anything to unlock at the end, aside concept art.

Tell me why, I should blow 60$ on a game that gives me about 10 hours gameplay, without any replayability.

I love Tomb Raiders. I really really do.

However lack of time trials, costume unlocks(really could be anything, but costumes I suppose are what most want) really anything to do once the story is gone does not make it seem to merit a purchase.

Perhaps a rental, which is bad. I own 1-TRL as it is.

Please, never again omit time trials and unlockables. While I imagine they seem a small part to a dev staff trying to get the game out for christmas, that is your playerbases replayability.

People here have already beaten the game, and now have nothing to do.

Come on.

EDIT* I would just like to add for Crystal Dynamics;

I believe you guys are some of the most taltented devs in the business in the third person games, due to the Legacy of Kain games. I have those on a pedestal above pretty much anything in this genre, as they are truly among the best third person games ever. I hope you continue to make Tomb Raiders, and perhaps another LoK game someday... just please add some kind of replay options like previous titles. That is really such a killer to a gamer like me.

Cheers.
    I don't know, I'm going through my second playthrough after i finish treasure hunt mode, so for me personally, replay value is great, i never cared for outfits,time trials and such.

But I can see why people who loved that stuff in the previous games are mad that they arent in this one.

$60, it was a good purchase to myself.

if you don't want to buy it, then dont, 10hrs is not something set it stone, if you rush through the game, dont even explore and so forth then yes you will finish fast, however if you take your time, explore,search around and do stuff like that then youll get a good amount of playing time.

if you check the poll on the forums, many people have finished in different times, some in 6, some in 14-20hrs and a few 20+ hrs.

I own every TR as well,been playing since the beginning so this is coming from one long time raider to another lol

If your THAT worried about it,then just rent it,thats all there is to it

I would really just like Time Trials.

Sorry, am a bit of an extreme gamer, even 20 hours is a drop in the bucket, so I realize I'm not normal

Hopefully they put this in in a patch for PC (my only platform) and DL for the others.

I mean, it can't take that much to set a time.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by r00ster View Post
    I would really just like Time Trials.

Sorry, am a bit of an extreme gamer, even 20 hours is a drop in the bucket, so I realize I'm not normal

Hopefully they put this in in a patch for PC (my only platform) and DL for the others.

I mean, it can't take that much to set a time.

Cheers.
    lol thats cool

but you shouldn't expect Tomb Raider to be RPG length

and yeah it would be cool for patch or something for people interested in stuff like that

what a let down ...*exhales* Platform PS3

Gameplay 4/10
    The unbelievable amount of glitches and bugs (at least in this version) made them more of a challenge then the obstacles of the game itself.

Story 5/10
    After leaving us on a cliff hanger the least they could do is make a half decent effort to create a good conclusion, it was kind of going in the right direction but the whole game seemed to be leading up to an epic answer filled climax which never arrived. When the credits rolled I felt like jumping out of a window I mean what the hell was that..? it was so anticlimactic it almost felt like another cliffhanger except this time I dont care anymore.

Enemies 7/10
    Some were a little ferocious for my taste but they were ok, I liked the fact that even when confronted with several enemies the attacks at your disposal made you feel a little more in control instead of just rolling around panicking.

Soundtrack 8/10
    Epic..yeah epic although I had heard some even better music that they must have decided not to use.

Overall 5/10
    I was left feeling very unsatisfied and wondered why the hell I had just spent all that money on what I can only describe as a broken let down of a game. Much like when I played TR3, Tomb Raider is officially dead to me once again. Way to fall at the last hurdle CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Crystal View Post
    Here is a place for you to give your Official User Reviews on Tomb Raider Underworld, once you have picked up your copy of the game!

Give the game an overall score.
    Tell us what platform you played on.
    What you liked/disliked about the game.

Feel free to give ratings on anything else like:
    Music/SFX
    Puzzles
    Graphics
    Environments
    Enemies/Combat
    Controls
    Camera

Thanks in advance.

~Chris
    Crystal Dynamics
    Platfom: PS3
    Score: 6.5/10
    Likes: brown tank with pants outift, graphics( they were beauitful), tranilizer gun(so i don't have to kill ) music was pretty good, but could of been more " dramatic"
    Dislikes: the wet suite and drysuite, the controls( it was hard to control her and the camra didn't help much )
    i like the game but i was a disapointed

but you shouldn't expect Tomb Raider to be RPG length
    why not? the first ones were....

even with the beautiful graphics, which other games, ie Final Fantasy, have,
    this game was a bit short, which has been an issue in the past, and probably should have been addressed

like the guy said, now the game is done and there's nothing to do, and yeah I can understand why he and others feel shortchanged by this short game.

To be honest, it feel like I bought a little movie, interspersed with a couple of jumps and some puzzles....and it feels kinda like a let down, especially when there is SOOOO much more Lara can do now but you just don't have anything TO do with her. Legend was better and whoever said they could have been combined to make 1 awesome game is right on the money!
    If...no, WHEN you step out of line, you'll get it!

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyGirl View Post
    why not? the first ones were....

even with the beautiful graphics, which other games, ie Final Fantasy, have,
    this game was a bit short, which has been an issue in the past, and probably should have been addressed

like the guy said, now the game is done and there's nothing to do, and yeah I can understand why he and others feel shortchanged by this short game.

To be honest, it feel like I bought a little movie, interspersed with a couple of jumps and some puzzles....and it feels kinda like a let down, especially when there is SOOOO much more Lara can do now but you just don't have anything TO do with her. Legend was better and whoever said they could have been combined to make 1 awesome game is right on the money!
    lol people need to stop saying ''well the old games were this and that'' its becoming obnoxious. This is CD, not CORE, Core is dead. Thats like saying ''Well how come the new mario games arent like the others'' or ''I hate Final Fantasy, how come its not like the other ones''. Things change, game play changes,developers change. Not everthing is going to stay the same old same old forever and people need to realize that.

old games were amazing no doubt, I love them to death, but RPG length? not even close.

But then again that comes down to how you personally played it, as you stated Final Fantasy games, i believe FF7 my first ever play through took me 70hrs or so to beat and Tomb Raider out near the same time pretty much,little before FF7, took me not very long to beat either, in fact i couldve played/beat Tomb Raider around 3 or 4 or so times to even get near my playing time in FF7. Then again thats how I personally played the game so its not necessarily same for everyone else

Most of the reason the older games seemed hard as well is because of graphics. Which is another thing people are not seeming to get about current generation games. People moan and complain about a games length, whether it be a game like Tomb Raider, third person shooter like Gears or FPS like Resistance or something. Developers are putting most of their emphasis into graphics and less on the actual games length.

I can almost guarantee you that besides games like Oblivion,Fall Out 3,Fable 2 or an RPG related game, you will NOT find very many games that are over 10-15hrs in length. Also no Multiplayer does not count, were talking about only single player here.

Which is why It's weird to see people scream blasphemy about TRU's game length when 98% of the games out right now are either the same length or shorter.

One thing though I wouldn've liked to see in TRU though is the camera function they took out where you can take pictures and send them to your friends, that wouldve been cool and also mixing Legend/Anniversary as i think you stated, that would be pretty interesting lol

Again this big post is just personal opinion, so take it for what it is, just my little ol opinion

I over all loved the game 10/10

I played on the PS3

I liked the whole experience of the levels and challenges!The graphics were astounding and way better than legend and anniversary!The music was perfect! The story line was pretty good for being a continuation.Lara's abilities amazed me!she really upgraded from her old stuff

things i disliked and was kinda sad and confused about was some of the story line(like what happend to her mom,how the heck natla went from getting the scion to some serpent thing in avalon!..the storyline seemed like it was missing something)The ending was kind of like a closing but slight question of what now? i noticed..the ammo was almost infinite...you did not have to fight one single boss..it made the game seem like there was nothing to look forward to(well i looked forward to the next levels at the time) and the game seemed kinda easy...maybe cause i had it on tombraider.lol. (well this is something petty and just something i pictured different,i pictured avalon to be different!It was just hallways and a big gooy areana! :-/

but yeah...something seemed to be missing.but i will play this game over and over again!and i will be looking forward to the next tombraider game..hoping that there is another tombraider game!lol!

Just so my little pseudo 'review' doesn't get blown out of context;

(I have since gotten the game, I figure am about half way 3/4's through, prolly 6 or so hours)

Length is not the main issue as why I wanted Time Trials.

As stated by someone else, lara has some pretty epic maneuvers.
    The new additions with poles, cliff faces etc is stellar.

Make no mistake, CD has done an amazing job here, so far am absolutely loving it, Keep CD on the series for sure. They add more and more each title. I am always impressed by CD.

All it really is, is that I love attepting to perform all these crazy acrobatics at a frantic pace to beat the trials.

I see a somewhat 'replay mission' is in through the PDA, and there is collectables.

Best example I can give is in Anniversary, doing the time trial for 'St. Francis Folley.' Scaling all that in the time limit is pretty fun.

I also (I must be sick) get a real kick out of Lara going 'splat' as it were, and the Time Trials definitely add to these encounters

I duno the other nailed it on the head, I have a super kick*** Lara that can do all this crazy stuff, and once I beat the game, there is almost no replay. Simple Time Trials add tons of replay.. as they were usually pretty demanding timewise, and that would keep me busy for quite a while.

The game itself thus far is superb.

Cheers.

EDIT* @Tombraider;

I believe it's easy as you can 'Rambo' all encounters. I did not learn the adrenaline moves till quite far in, as I could just hold fire, jump around a bit. If I was killed, there is a 'checkpoint' 2 steps back.

Heck, I have even gotten in the habit of blowing myself up to have full health once I reach new checkpoints...

For the next Raider, make the 'hard' modes remove all checkpoints. Then we'll have challenge.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast