Thread: Demo stuttering...

Demo stuttering...

Hey. I'm running this game on my laptop and it just seems to stutter all the time. The loading process took ages and the first cutscene stutters. The game is unplayable.

I'm running it on the Dell XPS M1710 with the Geforce Go 7950GTX. Other Specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: MXG061
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 1256MB used, 5614MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce Go 7950 GTX
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0297&SUBSYS_019B1028&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 1912 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 504 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    I have updated all my primary drivers but still have no solution to this problem. I have the Left4Dead demo, Dead Space and Fallout 3 - All of which run super smooth on my machine. I just can't wrap my head around why Tomb Raider Underworld runs so poorly even when all the settings are on the lowest they can be and with only some processes running.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems? Or is it the demo that is just buggy? Would appreciate any help as i'm a huge fan of the Tomb Raider series and it would be a shame to miss out.

Thanks in advance.

From the readme file:

"Low end nVidia hardware users may notice a slight stutter when first entering a location. This is a known issue with the current release of drivers (178.13). This should be addressed in an upcoming driver release."

Well..

you must upgrade your card...my card is gt8500..i say that i can play it well...but not perfect!! but your card is old that`s why..

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TF.Denis View Post
    you must upgrade your card...
    No he does not.

What defines "low end"?

Quote Originally Posted by TF.Denis View Post
    you must upgrade your card...my card is gt8500..i say that i can play it well...but not perfect!! but your card is old that`s why..
    I know the card isn't amazing but it should be good enough for most games out at the moment. Like I said i've got many of the newest games about and they all work well on high settings even running on my resolution of 1920x1200,

I checked the FAQ on here and my card is listed as one that the game should run perfectly on. It can't be the card as even on the lowest settings TRU runs like cack. Infact, it runs better on high settings which is weird.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Curious101 View Post
    What defines "low end"?
    GeForce series 6 and 7 are most likely to be affected.

Like I said i've got many of the newest games about and they all work well on high settings even running on my resolution of 1920x1200,
    I would have thought that res was above the 7950gtx's punching weight.

I was also having the stuttering problems when trying to run the demo on my machine with the latest ATI drivers and it didn't seem to matter what settings I used - it still stuttered.

Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
    2GB DDR2
    ATI Radeon HD2900 Pro
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Being as the demo was unplayable I exited out and noticed the temp of my machine wasn't coming down as I expected it to after exiting.

A quick look in Task manager showed that cmdagent.exe (Comodo Firewall) was taking 70% of the processors cycles. I shutdown Comodo and tried the TRU demo again and this time it ran perfectly.

Is anyone else that's having the stuttering problem using Comodo Firewall Pro or Comodo Internet Security?
    Hopefully this will be patched, i'd rather not have to keep turning off Comodo whenever I play the game - not sure whether it's a Comodo or Eidos/Crystal Dynamics issue though?

this doesn't make sense. we are already at 18x series (180.47) of drivers and with this update i still can't get past the loading screen:

that's from the demo of course but instead on the retail you would've seen Tomb Raider Underworld title instead but the point is that i get stuck on that screen and i can tell it stutters b/c that circle twists oddly enough to notice it. i can't get past that screen. i am thinking it might be something on my system that i recently updated or removed and it's hindering this game from being played. I did the following to see if i can make it work; I deleted my codecs and no success, I delete the Visual C++ 2008 that i needed for Dead Space and i still can't play TRU. I have the Microsoft Framework 1.0, 2.0, & 3.0 from what i can tell and i definitely updated my gfx drivers & physx (Geforce Go 7950 GTX Dual SLI) & also i installed the dx9 package that comes inside the game. I don't know what else to do. Please, if someone found a solution, post back with any methods to this issue. thanks.

one thing i need to mention is that when i go to Microsoft's dx page and d/l the web setup, it fails to initialize. so right now i am unable to update dx9 from the website. i get a "retry later or check network connection" error. i don't know what's up with that.

Shino, how long did you wait? I had the same thing with my circle--the twisting being not smooth and the loading taking awhile--but when the game finally came up (and I turned down the fancy graphics) it performed adequately (occasional lag but otherwise fine). It took a long time for it to load, but as long as the circle is moving you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious101 View Post
    Shino, how long did you wait? I had the same thing with my circle--the twisting being not smooth and the loading taking awhile--but when the game finally came up (and I turned down the fancy graphics) it performed adequately (occasional lag but otherwise fine). It took a long time for it to load, but as long as the circle is moving you should be fine.
    well this time i let it through and waited for almost 3 mins. The cutscene at the beginning was barely watchable (i think it also skipped through it on its own) and then after that, the game was stuttering all over, the music would not sync with gameplay going on...IT'S A DISASTER even at low quality setting, low res with no effects, etc. My video card can definitely take this game but NVIDIA or Eidos better release a driver patch soon for us so called "low-end" users.

I agree, it's kind of annoying that our video cards meet the requirements but are somehow unsupported. But when I turned my settings down it ran with minimal sputtering. One can hope that a patch or driver will be released, but I wouldn't count on it coming from Eidos.

Unhappy Same problem with NVidia Quadro FX 2500M

Hi Guys, same answer I made in another post here:

The exact same problem here with the Demo. My GC Quadro FX 2500M as exact similar hardware than 7900GTX on my Dell M90 Laptop (Intel Core 2 T7400 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM and 512 MB video ram).

I'm always able to play other games full options but resolution (crysis at 1280x800, TRA at 1680x1050, Las Splinter Cell at 1920x1200, Assassin's Creed 1440x900, etc.)

TRU run fine (> 30 fps) after I made a slow 360 degree around Lara to pre-load environment. As soon as something must be loaded (even a sound) I have this 1-2 sec freeze. A funny remark: even during this freeze time, sometimes some animation still smoothly running, like physics on Lara Hairs, some smoke, etc.)

My drivers are the last official one for Dell/Nvidia for my CG: 6.14.11.5683 from Nov 2007 (pretty old, thx Nvidia/Dell!). I liked enough Lara to finish the Demo twice like this

For me, it's look like a conflict with the Hard drive and CG. Loading a level or savedgame take around 5 full minutes. I installed the game on a fresh defrag disk and no file are fragmented at all.

So no one can say to update my GC. It should be fine!

It's up to CD to fix this issue.

Have a nice day!

Loran_69