Thread: ***** computers

Exclamation ***** computers

I hate computers...absolutely hate them!!!!!!!! Who the hell invented them??? ....sorry anyways on to my problem....

Alright, i have a total of 4 working computers in the house, mine (windows vista, Compaq laptop) my moms (travel mate 6410 windows Xp/windows vista compatible) my sisters, hp desktop) and the family's (some gateway laptop)

All of them have trouble with the demo... when I went to see if they could run the demo.. 2 of them failed (the hp desktop, and my Compaq laptop) the gateway and my mom's laptop met the minimum but not the maximum requirements. So.. I went to download the demo on the gateway desktop.. i had the error; "failed to initialize direct 3d" so I quite on that one.

I then went to download it on my moms computer, but she said I couldn't, because she said it was too dangerous so I tried downloading it on my laptop.. It worked.. I went to play the demo, but it was like watching a slide show of pictures.. (Even on the lowest settings)

So I finally got my mom to let me play it on her laptop.. I go to download it just now and... it takes me to some installing screen then when I hit install it goes "some installation files are corrupted" I go, delete what I downloaded, re install it... same thing happens. I l8tr go and download the files that are missing from the torrent, but that didn’t work either..

i absolutely hate computers.. And they apparently don’t like me either. none of them work the way i want. it seems so easy 4 everyone else. could someone please help... i know my mom's laptop can run it... but I am having a hell of a time downloading it...

P.s. sorry for getting upset... I’m just kind of venting....

So yah.. can someone help.. i tried reading other threads but was reluctant enough not to find my answer....
    Dont kill a cow, eat a cowboy.

just ensure your internet is not disturbed in any way while downloading, like accidental shut offs, loss in connection, stuff like that, and you should be fine
    ooh and download from the official website if you havent yet

ily
    Oh hai

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahperson View Post
    just ensure your internet is not disturbed in any way while downloading, like accidental shut offs, loss in connection, stuff like that, and you should be fine
    ooh and download from the official website if you havent yet

ily
    HI!! thanks for your help... but it still isn't working.. maybe im doing something wrong.... ill keep trying.... thanks for replying btw, at least i got feed back from soneone.

Edit: yah it still sin't working.. i picked a destination for the file to download to. i hit install. It says:

"Extracting Readme.rtf
    CRC failed in Readme.rtf
    Unexpected end of archive"

Along with an error box that looks like this:

"Some instalation files are corrupt
    Please download a fresh copy and retry instalation"

*GOLDEN NO LIKE COMPUTER.... GOLDEN SMASH!!!!!!!* (heehee)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Laurel View Post
    HI!! thanks for your help... but it still isn't working.. maybe im doing something wrong.... ill keep trying.... thanks for replying btw, at least i got feed back from soneone.

Edit: yah it still sin't working.. i picked a destination for the file to download to. i hit install. It says:

"Extracting Readme.rtf
    CRC failed in Readme.rtf
    Unexpected end of archive"

Along with an error box that looks like this:

"Some instalation files are corrupt
    Please download a fresh copy and retry instalation"

*GOLDEN NO LIKE COMPUTER.... GOLDEN SMASH!!!!!!!* (heehee)
    lol i have no idea whats happening, i downloaded the demo 4 times now (i kept on uninstalling it) and i didnt get that problem, btw HI!!! lol umm try to download it on a diff computer then extract it to a flash drive and put that in to the computer you want to play it on and try that
    Oh hai

lol i have no idea whats happening, i downloaded the demo 4 times now (i kept on uninstalling it) and i didnt get that problem, btw HI!!! lol umm try to download it on a diff computer then extract it to a flash drive and put that in to the computer you want to play it on and try that
    hm... that's a good idea.. ill try it. THANKS

Edit: grr my mom took her computer back... so ill have to wait

2nd edit: wait i figured out what the problem was. I live in the us. (as you know blahblahperson) and when i downloaded it i clicked on the uk link. instead of us. so i am now downloading the us version. wish me luck!!!

thanks for your help!!!!

hm... that's a good idea.. ill try it. THANKS

Edit: grr my mom took her computer back... so ill have to wait

2nd edit: wait i figured out what the problem was. I live in the us. (as you know blahblahperson) and when i downloaded it i clicked on the uk link. instead of us. so i am now downloading the us version. wish me luck!!!

thanks for your help!!!!
    no problem and good luck!
    Oh hai

*screams* *attaches tnt to computer and blows it up. then slowly walks away*

I Hate Computers *hits head against wall so hard, it crumbles*

It finnaly downloaded the demo...almost..but, yet again, i get the message i got with my other computer

"failed to initialise direct 3d" I wanna play the demo so bad!!!!!! *head explodes*...................... i dont have enough money to update my video card.

Is there anyway to get around this??

Is Eidos going to release the demo for the Ps3? or maybe a lower resolution version for the pc???

Edit: and im realy stressed about a giant s.s. exam 2maro, and i was hoping the demo would take my mind off it.....ehhh that's alright.. its only 6 more days... but theese six days are going to go by sooooo slowly....

*screams* *attaches tnt to computer and blows it up. then slowly walks away*

I Hate Computers *hits head against wall so hard, it crumbles*

It finnaly downloaded the demo...almost..but, yet again, i get the message i got with my other computer

"failed to initialise direct 3d" I wanna play the demo so bad!!!!!! *head explodes*...................... i dont have enough money to update my video card.

Is there anyway to get around this??

Is Eidos going to release the demo for the Ps3? or maybe a lower resolution version for the pc???

Edit: and im realy stressed about a giant s.s. exam 2maro, and i was hoping the demo would take my mind off it.....ehhh that's alright.. its only 6 more days... but theese six days are going to go by sooooo slowly....
    that was on your moms laptop right?
    that means you have to wait till tuesday next week
    i have to wait till christmas to get the 360 and tomb raider underworld
    Oh hai

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Laurel

"failed to initialise direct 3d"
    This apparently means your graphics card isn't powerful enough to play the game. You may need to upgrade the graphics card as recommended in the Read me file that came with the demo or at the very least upgrade your card drivers. You also need DirectX9.0 for it to work.

That is the only thing I can think of if you downloaded from an official source, like the TR website.

I can't play the demo either, you're not alone Golden.

that was on your moms laptop right?
    that means you have to wait till tuesday next week
    i have to wait till christmas to get the 360 and tomb raider underworld
    Ohh... that's right... im sry that was kinda selfish of me...

Quote Originally Posted by Rai004 View Post
    This apparently means your graphics card isn't powerful enough to play the game. You may need to upgrade the graphics card as recommended in the Read me file that came with the demo or at the very least upgrade your card drivers. You also need DirectX9.0 for it to work.

That is the only thing I can think of if you downloaded from an official source, like the TR website.

I can't play the demo either, you're not alone Golden.
    ok thanks you... i take it upgrading costs money right?

Cool

ok thanks you... i take it upgrading costs money right?
    Can you play and enjoy either TRA or TRL, in normal mode or next-gen mode?

If yes, then I'd say that it is a problem with Eidos' or CD's lack of logic with their PC market. And we will probably have to watch TRU "tank" with sales, as one member put it, before they react to it.

(For me, I am going to stay in contact with mod-masters, like SunBeam, to see what we can do about "un-tanking" this Shader3 and PC resources mess with TRU.)

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    Can you play and enjoy either TRA or TRL, in normal mode or next-gen mode?

If yes, then I'd say that it is a problem with Eidos' or CD's lack of logic with their PC market. And we will probably have to watch TRU "tank" with sales, as one member put it, before they react to it.

(For me, I am going to stay in contact with mod-masters, like SunBeam, to see what we can do about "un-tanking" this Shader3 and PC resources mess with TRU.)
    that's what my computer is missing; shader 3....or something like that. but you have a point, i think the sales will b lower for the pc version unless they release a lower resolution one....

Edit: oh and thatnks for the advice/help

no, many people have good computers, and CD and Eidos arent going to realease a downgraded version of the game for us low end (or lets say video cards or chipsets with out shader and vertex shaders 3.0) computer users.

on a side note, dont hate computers just because you cant get one demo to run.

Ohh... that's right... im sry that was kinda selfish of me...
    lol ur just frustrated *hugz*
    Oh hai

Quote Originally Posted by trlestew View Post
    no, many people have good computers, and CD and Eidos arent going to realease a downgraded version of the game for us low end (or lets say video cards or chipsets with out shader and vertex shaders 3.0) computer users.

on a side note, dont hate computers just because you cant get one demo to run.
    It's not just cuz of the demo.. its everything about them that annoys me... or atleast my computers do.... i cant manage my music and pictures and it like blows my computers hard drive to even watch a video... (and my computer is a vista laptop, though was cheap at the price of $400 (us currency)) I cant play games. they annoy the hell out of me, my files are constantly getting deleted. they are confusing....*the list goes on*......in simpler forms... they dont like me...and in wich case i dont like them.

Im asken "santa" for a better quality lap-top for X-mas (whether or not i actualy get it is another story)

lol ur just frustrated *hugz*
    haha, thank you

@Golden, Hmm, whilst you're asking Santa for a new Laptop, ask him for one with a compatible Graphics card to TRU. Again, the 'Read Me' file will tell you the recommended ones and there is a thread here that will also tell you the game's Specs which may also help Santa choose which laptop to get. You definitely need either an NVIDIA or ATI card apparently.

i take it upgrading costs money right?
    With respect, you don't sound like the kind of person who would actually take the time & effort required to upgrade the computer. With games, I'd suggest you stick to consoles. PC games are for the enthusiastic

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post

i think the sales will b lower for the pc version unless they release a lower resolution one....
    Because it's completely logical to exponentially increase the load on testers by making the acceptable hardware limits too wide to reasonably test
    If the PC version of TR:U "tanks", it won't mean CD will develop lower-quality versions of the game; it will mean they won't bother to port to the PC at all. Many dev studios are no longer interested in the PC market for this reason, that the PC market is that much more complex than the console market, both for developers and players. Gamers not upgrading their PCs isn't going to mean dev studios will stop making better looking games.

And it's all good and well if they can make it run on your computer; and the final production version may have optimisations that the demo does not have, but there is no way to make a game run on a PC when the requirements are too low. Shader 3 emulation might be possible if you card's good enough, but I accept that CD have considered Shader 3 to be technology widely used enough to be able to put it in their games. (Before you can point at how many people don't have good enough computers to run; the vast majority of them would be running on laptops not made for gaming).

Im asken "santa" for a better quality lap-top for X-mas (whether or not i actualy get it is another story)
    N.B. If you want a good gaming machine, you won't find it in a laptop without paying a LOT of money. It's much cheaper to search around for components for a desktop machine (and find someone who knows how to assemble a PC to get it to do it for you). Custom building a PC is much cheaper. Consoles are cheapest for gaming overall, though.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rai004 View Post
    @Golden, Hmm, whilst you're asking Santa for a new Laptop, ask him for one with a compatible Graphics card to TRU. Again, the 'Read Me' file will tell you the recommended ones and there is a thread here that will also tell you the game's Specs. You definitely need either an NVIDIA or ATI card apparently.
    Thank you Rai!!!

Edit:and thanks to you 2 rg and no. i wouldn't take the effort to upgrade my computer unless it was free, and was easy maintnanse (sp?)

grr sry for horrible grammer, im trying to work on that...

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    And it's all good and well if they can make it run on your computer; and the final production version may have optimisations that the demo does not have, but there is no way to make a game run on a PC when the requirements are too low. Shader 3 emulation might be possible if you card's good enough, but I accept that CD have considered Shader 3 to be technology widely used enough to be able to put it in their games. (Before you can point at how many people don't have good enough computers to run; the vast majority of them would be running on laptops not made for gaming).
    Oh BTW, Shader3 emulation would put even more load on a marginal PC system.
    (Holding my breath waiting for CD/Eidos to produce an optimisation like TRL's might cause me, some pain?)

And I could first see reducing any and all Shader3 graphics over-head, first.
    (SunBeam has another message for that kind of serious study.)
    TRU:Cheats/Hacks