Thread: Keir: Question for Eidos's 3d Modelers

Keir: Question for Eidos's 3d Modelers

Keir: Question for Eidos's 3d Modelers

Though this may seem like a strange question, I was wondering if you (Keir or anybody who has connections with the 3d modelers) can tell me what average poly count for ship classes and aircraft are in this game. I'm not sure if you can tell me or not, but I just would like to know how much a system like the Xbox 360 can handle for a game like this. It would be much appreciated.
    Become An Hero

Also what software they use for the modeling

Originally Posted by SuperE
    Also what software they use for the modeling
    If I had to guess, I'd say 3d Max or Maya.

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Since many are part of teh old Mithis team and Nexus: the Jupiter Incident used Lightwave it is likely they are using it for this as well.

BTW. I believe mycoldman is our liaison now.

@Dremora

I've been putting together a feature/dev blog on this very thing over the past few days, which'll be up for public consumption soon. Hopefully you'll find all your answers in there.

Oh, and Chip's right, though a number of different software packages are used, Lightwave definitely features.

Interesting question.
    When poly counts are discussed I'm extremely curious to see the DIFFERENCE in the XBOX360 vs. PC version. That must be quite different.

XBOX360 has a great feature called "tessellator" that can "automatically" make the original model poly look much more detailed. It is done with a fixed algorithm built into the XBOX360's graphic processor chip. What it means is that the DEVs can create relatively simple models that the graphich chip scales up so it looks much better but without taking away processing power and memory from the main unit

In PC this technology is rather new and only the newest graphics processors have this function. So on PC it is either done by the central CPU (in which case processing power is required - multi core systems rulez!) or the DEVs just leave the lower poly count models... ...which I hope won't be the case.

You kidding me? Have you seen what these guy's did with nexus??

are you guys talking about which computer program used to design BSP will look better in the different gaming systems?

by the way which one will look better if maxed? PC or xbox?

Originally Posted by Polarshark
    are you guys talking about which computer program used to design BSP will look better in the different gaming systems?

by the way which one will look better if maxed? PC or xbox?
    My bet is both will be about teh same. personally I want to see what it would look like on teh PS3

Originally Posted by chip5541
    My bet is both will be about teh same. personally I want to see what it would look like on teh PS3

not to start a console pissing match but . . . it would be hard for me to play on the PS3 given how little voice communication is used by those online, or so I've heard

hey chip

since you work for eidos

you think you can estimate what game looks similar to this

probably a game that uses the same engine as BSP

so that we might get a idea about the graphics

oh yeah chippy

will the multiplayer modes ( island capture, destroy convoy , etc.)
    be on singleplayer also?

you know singlaplyer vs AI in skirmish mode

Originally Posted by mycoldman
    @Dremora

I've been putting together a feature/dev blog on this very thing over the past few days, which'll be up for public consumption soon. Hopefully you'll find all your answers in there.

Oh, and Chip's right, though a number of different software packages are used, Lightwave definitely features.
    Where is this thing that was promised to us November 3rd, 2008?
    Let's hope the polly count for models is not a huge secret