Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In my opinion by far the worst tomb raider game to date.....

all of you people need to stop complaining about the god Demo. I have yet to play it since I had no time to download it but if you guys are going to complain about a game that hasn't come out yet just a demo then you guys are nuts, and another thing you can't say it's worse than AoD sice you only played a portion of the thailand level possibly only about 1/16 of the level. That is just rediculas. you will all see that when you play the actual game you'll like it and you won't complain about it. I will test and see if these controls are actually sucky
    http://smileycentral-fun.webs.com this is my website you should join

Quote Originally Posted by Tombfan#1 View Post
    all of you people need to stop complaining about the god Demo. I have yet to play it since I had no time to download it but if you guys are going to complain about a game that hasn't come out yet just a demo then you guys are nuts, and another thing you can't say it's worse than AoD sice you only played a portion of the thailand level possibly only about 1/16 of the level. That is just rediculas. you will all see that when you play the actual game you'll like it and you won't complain about it. I will test and see if these controls are actually sucky
    Oh yeah, and when you test them... if you deem them sucky, then your opinion holds more weight then mine?

Once again... the story doesn't matter, the settings don't matter, the level design doesn't matter. In this case I only need that 1/16th of a level to determine the flaws with the programming code. If they fixed the bugs, it absolutely without a shadow of a doubt would be better than AOD. It's just sad that the game is going to release broken and REQUIRE a patch for it to be enjoyable. What happened to the days of opening the box and that's that? I don't support games that need to be patched out of the box as it only promotes crappy development. They don't need to be rewarded for their mistakes.... their mistakes that they repeat OVER and OVER again in this industry.

DX:IW.... wouldn't run on a super computer till the first patch. So with that said, you picked up the box read the req's and knew your computer was good enough to run it, so you purchase it. Then you take it home only to realize you can't play it... it's impossible at 1/2 an fps. Then you have to wait a month to play a game you already purchased... just to have it "Improved" to playable standards... (aka 20 fps) Just to wait another 4 months for a patch to come out to make it run as good as it was supposed to the day you bought it.

It's promoting lazyness. If you dropped a deuce in a pot, and the same amount of people bought it.... then what's the incentive to make a masterpiece? You got it... None, and that's why we are where we are now in this industry. Crap game after crap game... dev's accusing legit owners of pirating their game. (see the red alert 3 forums.) And it's our fault for perpetuating the problem... and I for one, refuse to do it any longer.

I'm not just complaining about a "Demo." I'm complaining about a "Demo" that is supposed to REPRESENT the quality of a "Final Build" deemed the "Retail Release."

Quote Originally Posted by Laokin View Post
    Oh yeah, and when you test them... if you deem them sucky, then your opinion holds more weight then mine?

Once again... the story doesn't matter, the settings don't matter, the level design doesn't matter. In this case I only need that 1/16th of a level to determine the flaws with the programming code. If they fixed the bugs, it absolutely without a shadow of a doubt would be better than AOD. It's just sad that the game is going to release broken and REQUIRE a patch for it to be enjoyable. What happened to the days of opening the box and that's that? I don't support games that need to be patched out of the box as it only promotes crappy development. They don't need to be rewarded for their mistakes.... their mistakes that they repeat OVER and OVER again in this industry.

DX:IW.... wouldn't run on a super computer till the first patch. So with that said, you picked up the box read the req's and knew your computer was good enough to run it, so you purchase it. Then you take it home only to realize you can't play it... it's impossible at 1/2 an fps. Then you have to wait a month to play a game you already purchased... just to have it "Improved" to playable standards... (aka 20 fps) Just to wait another 4 months for a patch to come out to make it run as good as it was supposed to the day you bought it.

It's promoting lazyness. If you dropped a deuce in a pot, and the same amount of people bought it.... then what's the incentive to make a masterpiece? You got it... None, and that's why we are where we are now in this industry. Crap game after crap game... dev's accusing legit owners of pirating their game. (see the red alert 3 forums.) And it's our fault for perpetuating the problem... and I for one, refuse to do it any longer.

I'm not just complaining about a "Demo." I'm complaining about a "Demo" that is supposed to REPRESENT the quality of a "Final Build" deemed the "Retail Release."
    I see where your coming from Laokin. If your talking about crap after crap game, you have to be talking about EA and the SecurRom that prevents even legit people from playing their own game, SecurRom is BS

Smile thinking aloud.

this is my first ever post on a site, so dont bite my head of first time. I havent got to play the demo cause im getting it on PS3 when i eventually get one, hopefully before it comes out!
    But aside from AOD, i hated Anniversay, ive tride to make myself like it over and over by playing it over and over, but i just gave up in the end. I was really dissapointed by it, i found Legend to be the best game, the movement and action was crisp, the graphics for PS2 were amazing. I got so pissed off in Anniversary cause lara always missed ledges and the camera never went in the right place, also laras direction was off, and she moved reeeeallllly sloooooow. The graphics were however the best bit, and i was really depressed i couldnt futher play it as i wanted to find out the plot .

As for Underworld i cant wait to get it, the graphics look fantastic and the plot looks really good. I am abit worried about this talk of camera problems though, doesnt seem like they fixed that from the mistakes of Anniversary, but im going to wait to see for myself. And the stuff about Lara dieing really easily, if they are trying to make the game more realistic, motion capture and everything, then she probably will die more easily, as it IS realistic, people are fragile things

Smile

I adored Legend (even if it wasn't a tomb raider game, and lara was a murderer... I mean, 90% of the enemies were human... and she was shooting guns till they laid lifeless...) TRA was the best TR release to date.... What's wrong with Crystal Dynamics? They must be falling off the bandwagon ATM.
    You are just a different kind of gamer. Most of the TR gamers wanted the things changed in a way they are now. So I guess a lot of people are very very very happy with the outcome.

And you are mistaking "VERY VERY VERY buggy" with "not to my liking". But hey, this is just a gaming discussion forum and not an English class.

Despite the camera, I found the game AWESOME!!! I can't understand you guys...
    Please explain why you hate it...

yes Please do explain? im all ears
    Zip! I Never Show Off!

Wow, I mean seriously -- after TRA and TRL... which were both major steps forward for TR, this can't be well received. The camera is god awful, the game feels cropped (only tried 16:10, but since I have a 16:10 monitor it's the only aspect I'm ever going to play at. They took away the awesome dive roll continuous flips.(well they didn't take it away completely just you cant do 10 backflips before the final aerial anymore.) No weapon toggle, so unless you have a 360 gamepad your out of luck. Lara dies if she falls like 8 feet, not to mention her body bounces like she fell a hundred. The swimming still sucks. You can't see much when trying to jump/climb from edges, so your left to practically trial and error if there is a ledge for you to grab on. It's VERY VERY VERY buggy. The animations are hit and miss, Lara just looks stupid 90% of the time when she's jumping... but that's by design, what about all the animation glitches -- Her arms shaking violently, the camera spazzing out when you crouch under a tree to grab the edge in the last room. The only positive is how well it runs, but considering I have a 9800GX2 and a Core 2... I can't even really vouch for how well it runs, at very least it runs better than Spiderman: Web of Shadows. This game is just substandard, not to mention there was nothing note worthy in that section of the demo. Very boring, bad marketing decision. Probably should of beta tested it with people who are familiar with Legends, since this after all is a sequel to Legends. Are you serious??? Front round house kicking a tiger to death??? What's the point in making it more realistic, if your going to make it severely unrealistic with the combat. She used to jump high, now she's more realistic but it feels more gimped than anything. Crouching should be toggle, so when your accidentally running and try to crouch you don't roll off a 40 foot cliff. What happened to the circular inventory? Wtf is this PDA ish? Just hope the Montreal studio is as good as everyone says. Should I be afraid DX3 is going to be this bad? Seriously where was the QA, because this obviously never went to testing. Save your "It's just a demo" speech, seriously -- I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT. The demo is supposed to gain your interest in a game.... to make you WANT to purchase it. All this did is instill fear into my heart for all future Eidos games. Hitman 5, Deus Ex 3.... I mean wow... is anybody else as nervous as me?

P.S.
    I adored Legend (even if it wasn't a tomb raider game, and lara was a murderer... I mean, 90% of the enemies were human... and she was shooting guns till they laid lifeless...) TRA was the best TR release to date.... What's wrong with Crystal Dynamics? They must be falling off the bandwagon ATM.
    oooo..emo emo. LOL
    Yes, true enough. I was quite disappointed with the camera angles. almost slammin' the gamepad to the floor but at least, i didnt do it anyway. I told myself it's a demo and everything is still in progress. so, i think i dont have to fuss to much on the flaws.
    great demo, by the way.
    Силиконовые Мозги

It is personal opinion Laokin, I had no trouble with the camera at all, some moves were a little bit rusty (walking and swan dive for example), but the demo itself was very cool, Loved the combat, graphics, jumping etc etc.. Just never forget this is a demo..
    "... and there come the bloody tourists to spoil it all"

I completely dissagree with the person that made this thread, but everyone has their own opinions and are entidled to the.. anyways, i know i have heard alot of bad things about the camera, for people who have played the demo, is it realy that bad??
    Dont kill a cow, eat a cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Laurel View Post
    I completely dissagree with the person that made this thread, but everyone has their own opinions and are entidled to the.. anyways, i know i have heard alot of bad things about the camera, for people who have played the demo, is it realy that bad??
    No it isn't realy that bad, sometimes it's too close and you can't get it further.. but it's still in progress so no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo111 View Post
    No it isn't realy that bad, sometimes it's too close and you can't get it further.. but it's still in progress so no worries
    Ok. thank you ..
    Dont kill a cow, eat a cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Laurel View Post
    Ok. thank you ..
    You're welcome ^^ I only had a few problems while fighting, camera was too close, but oh well after a few times playing you should get used to it

Manual grab FTW, but it's missing.
    If the "context sensitive" grabbing and jumping "fails you", (it worked perfectly for me apart from the things she couldn't do), how do you expect Manual Grab to be any better? It's just the determination of whether she is to grab something or not, while on it's equivalent to the automatic grabbing.

No weapon toggle, so unless you have a 360 gamepad your out of luck.
    By "weapon toggle" you mean the automatic combat toggle? For PC, I just use the mouse, it works fine. (RMB to lock on... I don't see how you would then lead to the conclusion that we need to give MS money for a "recommended" peripheral ...)

the game is already gold.
    Usually there're big announcements about this on the forum and the main site...

there are no bad games just bad levels

love from
    cassandra young aka lady croft
    blondes are pretty red heads are smart
    but it takes a brunett to shoot a guy's heart
    cassie young

I love the demo so very much!!!
    This is what I always wanted TR to be like!

AMAZING JOB Eidos and Crystal Dynamics!!

Hmm, just throwing this out here ... but this isn't necessarily the demo that represents the final quality of the game. As they've been showing this demo for some time now at gaming expo's, teaser trailers, etc....

What's to say it's not an earlier build of TRU?

Also, in regards to your "Save your "It's just a demo" speech, seriously -- I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT." Could you not of shown us the same courtesy and not posted your rant? Which you obviously knew was going to cause an argument.

I loved AoD and the demo for Underworld!

Worst TR game to date?!

AoD not having any game hindering bugs?!

Fail.

AoD was the poorest design and implementation of a Tomb Raider game. It takes the cake and vomits all over it. I still haven't finished due to the fact that several of these non-existent game hindering bugs hindered my playing of the game.

Falling through the ground? Passing through locked doors so that you end up somewhere you shouldn't? Intermittent crashing? These don't ring a bell? I'm a software test engineer and I'd say, yeah, that could pass as a bug.

And yeah, I do wish they would tell us what branch of code the demo came from. The fact that the hallways down in the Naga pit are invisible walls tells me it wasn't the main dev branch - because you'd be nuts to cut it around like that.

p.s. thank you for breaking up your last post into paragraphs.

I don't understand where all these complaints are coming from.
    Or exactly how accurate they are....
    Before the demos were even released, people around the world were playing the games at gaming conventions and none of these problems addressed in this thread were mentioned then.
    Why all of sudden there are so many problems now that the general public has gotten ahold of the game.
    Or maybe it's just the PC version.
    But anywho,I totally agree with Josh on this one, alot of these claims are very exaggerated based on unrealistic ideas beforehand about the game.
    I read something about falling from 8 feet and Lara dying, another exaggeration perhaps.
    I think so.
    XBL GamerTag: Nate D Brooks

flame flame troll troll don't give a shlt won't bother reading bye

why are you even on a tomb raider forum if you bash a TR game before its even realeased?

i COMPLETELY disagree. I thought it was AMAZING!!!! Best TR game yet! And you know it's just a demo. They will probably make adjustments to it. Oh and i know sometimes you dont know where your jumping but if lara shows she is able to do it then you can jump it. The camera was fine for me. Maybe it's just you. You just need to get used to it is all. And here's a tip when fighting tigers and such... 1. Don't roll backwards, roll sideways because they jump at you forwards.. and 2. Dont stay so close to them duh! run away from them then shoot at them again. Use your surroundings to your advantage. Jump over those stone walls to manover away from them. It's really simple.. maybe your just not good at it yet..
    "YOU CAN DIE TOO!!!" - Lara Croft
    "Get out of my sight" - Lara Croft

WOW Guys, whats with this much of heat around here! , everyone calm down, please.

Now, since there is a big misunderstanding out here as i think, i feel like to explain things a little bit.

1st of all i totaly disagree with you Laokin in saying that this is the worst TR game to date, and i think that you really didn't meant that, cause at the opposite its the best TR game to date, you know that too, its just that you see -as well as i do- some bugs that you feel like to report them so they get fixed befor the final release -as well as i hope so too- but exaggerating this to that its the worst TR!!!, you know this is so not true.

But, to make sure that everyone understand us (me , Laokin and evryone that was crying out about the demo) well, i would like to draw everyones attention to the fact the we were REPORTING -and not complaining- the bugs the we encountered in the PC DEMO -and not any of the console's demo- and so if you have played the demo on a console then you have nothing to do with the bugs we are reporting out here.

And to be honest, as i said in the thread i made and as Laokin said out here, the PC DEMO contains lots of bugs, and since no one ever mentioned any thing about that this demo is an early stage of the work-in-progress game and that it doesn't represent the final game, since no one ever said that then we definitely will assume that this demo DO REPRESENT the final game, and that means that a bug (like not being able to reconfigure the mouse buttons in the control setting) do exist in the final game, and thinking of that is so horrible.

So the final point is, TRU is one of the best games that is coming out this year, i my self was brain-washing everyone i know to convince them to get this game, i even said the it'll get the GOTY , and so thats what we PC PLAYERS are trying to do out here, to make sure that this game be as best as it should be by just REPORTING the bugs that we encountered, even if it sounded as if we are bashing the game, cause at the opposite we do LOVE IT

Now befor i end this, i must say that i do agree with Laokin in most of the things he mentioned, when i created my thread i just focused on the thing that i can't live with, like the problem with configuring the mouse buttons, and the camera as it is some what annoying -and there is no need to learn to live with it while there is a chance to get it fixed- , and the fact that you must keep holding a BUTTON down just to keep your guns out? that is not even logic, useless, pointless, irritating and totaly unacceptable , and for sure i do love to enjoy the game sounds with my 5.1 sound system and that will not happen if i can't hear most of the sounds, and btw in the old TR games i used to set the mic in Lara's position (to hear the sounds from her perspective) and not in the camera-man position as i totaly don't care about hearing the sounds from the camera-man position, after all i'm playing with lare and not with the camera-man.

Beside these things that i find IMHO as to be important, there is lots of other things as Laokin said that might have made the game way better and better.

But after all i do love TRU (Tomb Raider is my NO#1 favorite game of all time btw and i've played and loved every version ever released of it ) , i can't wait till i get it, and i do have high-hopes for it.

Thank you guys for reading and sorry for the long post

Before I even start, I need to point out two things.

First, I'm not defending anyone's stance on anything but the material discussed below.
    Second, I'm not your average gamer. I have a beastly PC, I play FPS / MMO's all the time, and I have a wallet thick enough to ride the bleeding edge of computer technology [between college semesters xD].

So, as Laokin was saying, this demo has no documentation on it whatsoever that it is a beta demo. A demo is released in an attempt to stop "try-before-you-buy" piracy as it releases a gimped version of the full game to give a free sample of the story, controls, graphics, etc. So, if this is a non-beta demo, then one can only assume that the majority of the structural code is set in stone, as the release date is within a month or so.

With that said, the bugs in the game are apparent, although not as bad as some may want to claim. On my pc [Core 2 Quad Q9300 stock 2.50 GHz OC's to 3.39GHz | ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 | 4x2gb G.SKILL DDR2 ram (8gb total) | 22" widescreen monitor] at max settings with 2x AA I noticed a jitter in the camera. if I took my hand off the mouse, the camera would do a slight wobble, as if there was an aimbot running. There were times when, due to the camera hitting a restricting plane behind me, I would try to jump in one direction, and on screen I'd jump in a different direction, falling to my death.

unless some of these fundamental settings undergo a major overhaul soon, I can see myself passing this game up. I can say that I've never played a TR game in my life, and the only reason I gave this game a try is because somebody on OCN [overclock.net] posted a link to the demo and I thought "why not?" I think I'll just save my money at this point.

-Bluescreen of Death

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast