Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC demo seriously lagging!!

try gimping the game details a bit, to see if it helps. if you start by going through each detail slowly, u may be able to find a compromising solution to the framerate.
    P.S. I like this forum!

Lagging

Please include your video driver with you system specs. I would guess drivers could make a big difference in lag. I should get my new HD3650 tonight can't wait to try Underworld. I may try is on my laptop but the video is only X1400 but has 256meg. + 256meg shared so it may works OK.
    ray50

Mine is fine, it slows a little in couple of places in demo but otherwise is alright. graphics are awsome, better than crysis in my opinion.

Thumbs Up Amazing !!!

This game is apsolutly perfect ......!!!

I played demo version on maximum ....

I have :
    ati radeon hd 4450 ( graphic card )
    dual core processor 2.5
    3 ghz ram
    640 gb hard drive

TESTED

installing the lastest video drivers will reduce lags about 30%

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zr0 View Post
    TESTED

installing the lastest video drivers will reduce lags about 30%
    Splendid.

hey... i've downloaded the demo and played it once (yea its pretty slow) but the thing is when i quit game and tried to start again... i didn't know how to do it... like which file to click on...

i have the latest drivers but it runs worse than TRL with next gen!!
    but i still enjoy kicking tigers in the face
    Oh hai

My demo was slow too, but what made it slow was my RAM, and lack of a better graphics card. But it still worked and I managed to beat it within a 3 hour time limit. Slow, but oh so worth it.

Got to see how she moves, close-up and if they're screwed up or not. It was interesting.
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

I get similar frame rates to other top games.

1680*1050 maxed i get minimum frame rate of 40 fps and average of 60 which puts it about the same as codemasters Grid on my comp.

i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"
    Hahahaha your comp is too slow for this game.

I believe it was1.3 gigs and took me almost 25 minutes to download which was slow.
    This was funny, some people waited like 8 hours.

Thumbs Down got some about .01X speed prob here too...

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahperson View Post
    like i said, everything is at the lowest settings so that doesnt help
    ooh and the loading screen to thailand, i had to wait 5 minutes for it to dissappear, and the cinematic is stuttering and SUPER SLOW it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"
    its really frustrating
    It finally gets past the first screen?

It just slowly displayed the first paragraph on the first scene -- but I didn't wait 5 minutes.
    All key's locked out....

I only tried down to 1024x768 with all effects off.
    I have 2 Xeon Core-2 Duo's at 3.4GHz (4 processors total), 4GB physical, (3GB software limited under XP (32-bit linux sees all 4GB! :-), )-- which is well above both the minimum and the recommended...
    I have an Nvidia 4500 w/512MB video memory --

TRA runs easily in the 60-70 frames/second with max settings (4x anti-alias, 1920x1600 all effects on...etc).

Their recommended was 3GHz Core-2 Duo I've got 10+% on that and 50% more memory -- and the Xeon, I think has more cache (don't know what else it would be good for :-)).

Have the game on advance order from Amazon...wonder if I need to cancel it....

Naw....eidos will make it right....right??? They have such responsive customer support,
    right??

Hi There,

Just completed the PC demo, and I accept Tomb Raider: Underworld to be the best of the series and franchise.

The controls for the demo take a little getting used to, but all-in-all, navigation is quite simple. The graphics of the game are quite simply superb! Lara has never looked more lifelike, fleshed out and full-blooded. The game's environments equally look stunning, and without reservation, I commend the dev's on a job well done!

Now, the point of my post is to respond to the OP's query regarding specifications required to run TRU. The first thing to understand and accept is that TRU will require a medium to high-end computer. Minimum spec requirements do not do modern games any favours, nor do they aid the gamer either. The minimum expectation of the gamer who shells out a fair bit of money on a game, should reasonably fulfil a level of quality for which the game is bought. Having a minimum spec computer will not enable the gamer to realise a level of expected quality that is in his/her head at the time of buying the game. I have always considered minimum specifications as a ruse to get a gamer simply to part with their money. Basically, the minimum specifications shown on the cover of the box need to be upped, so that they do not give a 'false' expectation of what one's computer is capable of in rendering and running the game.

The other options for this game are, of course, PS3 and XBox 360. I have been playing computer games since the original Doom came out back in '93, and have always upgraded my computer's innards as and when necessary. My computer today is something of a hybridized machine, where the various parts are balanced to provide speed, quality, and stability. To buy a similar machine as mine today would probably set you back just over a £1000-00, and unfortunately, for many younger gamers this is prohibitive. Nevertheless, the PC remains the ultimate gaming machine, but at both a cost and in maintenance time. This is the route I prefer to follow, no doubt others will hold different opinions on the matter; nevertheless, the dev's produce games to the benchmarks set by current computer technology, and then downgrade (I assume) to produce it for mainstream porting to other platforms.

Modern games look at a computer's specs and set the game to optimal usage during installation, and often, this leads to a disappointing experience of the game itself. The only way to overcome the experience of disappointment is to ensure that one's computer not only matches minimum spec, but exceeds it by a factor of at least 50%.. Furthermore, one also needs to ensure that one's drivers for motherboard, graphics, and sound are as up-to-date as possible...this is very important! Also, that one's power supply is large enough to feed the computer's components, and to have power in reserve: a wattage of at least 500 will do fine.

It goes without saying that one's computer components need to be the best one can afford, and it is essential that potential 'bottleneck' problems are avoided, so they need to be well-matched for a balanced machine. It's a simple and basic PC philosophy, to provide oneself with a machine that can fall back on plenty of reserve power and function in order to gain a superb PC experience, especially with PC games. Here are the specs for my machine...

AMD Dual Core 64 3.6hz
    Gigabyte S-series motherboard
    4GB of balanced ram
    Palit GeForce 8800 GT super+ 1GB graphics card PCI express 2.0
    Creative Labs X-Fire Fatal1ty Champion series sound card
    600 watt power supply
    32" Samsung HI-DEF TV
    Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system...this is by no means a high-end system, but it plays any game I throw at it, and at high specification. Hope this helps in making a informed choice when it comes to buying PC games.

Best wishes

The GeForce 7150M is an integrated graphics card and is not meant for playing games on.

TR:U is way more graphically intensive that TR:L and TR:A, and perhaps could use some optimization. I could run Legend and Anniversary on max settings without lag, but with Underworld, even on minimum settings my game lags .

not even 1 lag for me.graphics on high,aliasing x4 and the game looks brilliant without probs

lucky you

lucky you some people could not play the demo at all

Big Grin

ooo... can I have one of each too please
    and a new comp to play TR:U

Quote Originally Posted by My dog Max View Post
    lucky you some people could not play the demo at all
    you forget something in the shoping list...a new croft manor...anyway it`s something that made me laugh for a moment...also my demo runs ok too...maybe a litlle slow...but only a litlle...anyway everyone has to buy a new card...more than 8000gt..

umm...help?

Hi. I just downloaded the demo for TRU last night and I seem to be having the same problems with lagging that some other people are having. The loading screen takes a good 5 minutes to go away and then the cinema stutters like crazy. Just the way blahblahperson described it: "it goes like " none of the ruins.......none of..........none of the ruins.......................are vis.............are visible"". I'm not a very technical person so I found a site the states all the specs for my comp. and I'll paste that in below. Maybe someone can make sense of it.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...#ps-tech-specs

If my computer just sucks and isn't capable of playing the demo, that's ok. I've never played any PC games on it before, so I don't know if it can play PC games or not. I just would like to know if there's any way I can fix the problem without having to buy anything. If not, I can just buy one of the console versions when it comes out. Thanks for your help.

-CL489

you may have to gimp a few items as far as graphics, but it may be safe to say it should run "okay". vista takes already 1GB of the 3 GB u are getting, so you have 2GB left. after video ram (256MB), that right there may kill it - laptop video chips aren't supported too well with Underworld.
    P.S. I like this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by bingojubes View Post
    you may have to gimp a few items as far as graphics, but it may be safe to say it should run "okay". vista takes already 1GB of the 3 GB u are getting, so you have 2GB left. after video ram (256MB), that right there may kill it - laptop video chips aren't supported too well with Underworld.

Hmm...okay. This may be a stupid question, but how can I turn down the graphics on my comp.so that it'll run better?

-P.S. Thanks for responding!

you can't gimp computer graphics, only game graphics thruogh the game's settings in the options menus.

1. could try using the "classic" desktop mode, which changes the look of the desktop to windows 3.1, relieving stress on overall system performance. (vista)

2. turn off/disable all non-essential background tasks like anti virus, and other stuff like music players and background changers. try to have as little programs running all at once as possible, see if that works.

3. defragging the hard drives may help as well. fragmented information on a PC can cause slow performance in the long run, so defragging will consolidate all that data, improving performance.

4. run a system wide disk cleanup, removing excess, un-needed files.

5. try hiding all desktop icons: you end up using some of your system memory by keeping too many things on the desktop. try temporarily moving the icons into one folder, or hiding them.
    P.S. I like this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Knight View Post
    What hardware do you have?
    I have a 3GHz Pentium 4, 3GB Ram, and an Nvidia GeForce 6800 (256MB).

It meets minimum requirements but the demo pretty slow for me too, even at lowest settings. I also find there is no noticeable performance difference between low and high textures. High looks much better of course.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any other way to improve performance except upgrade.
    I have 2 pc`s
    the one I have the demo on is weaker than yours, but how come it runs tru demo perfectly with the highest settings on?
    I find this strange.
    and my other pc had better graphics than the one i downloaded the demo for first.
    though i had the same settings and it runs the demo perfect too.

whats the clock speed of the 256MB 6800 nvidia? is it DDR1 or DDR2 OR DDR3? judging by the recommended ATI Radeon card (4800) that supplies the gamer with at least 1500MB of video RAM. i run a DDR2 1GB video card (3650) and it says i have 2GB, which makes the cut.

@ DDR1 = 256MB. short.

@ DDR2 = 512MB. short.

@ DDR3 = 768MB. short.

@ DDR4 = 1024MB. closer to the recommended specs.

i think that the newer nvidia cards are pushing 512MB-1024MB+, so those numbers at those clock speeds will reflect that. i am not an nvidia user (!ATI all teh way!) but if you are running that card + alot of system memory, the extra memory i think will get taken from the system ram pool of what is leftover, so u will end up with less performance.
    P.S. I like this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by bingojubes View Post
    you can't gimp computer graphics, only game graphics thruogh the game's settings in the options menus.

1. could try using the "classic" desktop mode, which changes the look of the desktop to windows 3.1, relieving stress on overall system performance. (vista)

2. turn off/disable all non-essential background tasks like anti virus, and other stuff like music players and background changers. try to have as little programs running all at once as possible, see if that works.

3. defragging the hard drives may help as well. fragmented information on a PC can cause slow performance in the long run, so defragging will consolidate all that data, improving performance.

5. try hiding all desktop icons: you end up using some of your system memory by keeping too many things on the desktop. try temporarily moving the icons into one folder, or hiding them.

Hi! Sorry it took me like, FOREVER to respond. I've been really busy lately. Anyway, I took your advice and turned down the graphics for the demo, put all my desktop icons into one folder and turned off all background programs, and it runs better, but it's still really jumpy. I'm afraid I don't know how to do #1, 3 and 4 on your list. If you could explain how, that'd be great. Thanks!

-CL

P.S. Thanks so much for helping me!

right-click the desktop and go to Themes in the Personalization menu. change the current selection to "Windows Classic". doing this wont have all the fancy-schmansy Aero graphics to manage...just plain ol' school windows.

these are found in ---

START > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
    * Should only take a minute or two, depending on how many/how big the files are, if any.

START > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    * Note that this takes a long time with Vista
    P.S. I like this forum!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast