Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider : Underworld FAQ - Read this first!

I strongly believe that:

1. Eidos made bad call by placing 1+ GB demo file as one single file for a download. Browsers usually fail to download large files, especially when you have problematic/low-speed internet connection. They should have split the demo into smaller chunks or something like that. To be honest, they created very bad demo package - it has almost nothing in it, from playability point of view, but its as if they have put one fourth of the game into it, size-wise. Why just not to build smaller, special package for demo - I bet it would not exceed 500 MB.

2. Game's performance rating isn't what it should be. I am playing Ubisoft's FARCRY2 at the moment, it's much faster than TRU demo, and its ratings are as follows: Recommended:5.0, Required 4.0. TRU demo has rating of 3.0 and 2.0 respectively - WHAT IS THAT? Totally unrealistic. Maybe the rating on demo is that of the final release, kinda a goal - which is something I hope to be true, actually. By the way, my Vista performance rating is 5.2 (3 GB RAM, ATI Rad-X1950XT 256MB, Core2Duo-E6600) which is not enough to play this game in all its splendor I guess.

Question Help!!!

I have a windows vista dell inspiron 1525,when the demo is on the loading screen it goes black and says there is an error and it closes ,i dont av a clue about compunters,please tell me wat 2 do

Will Eidos get me a new laptop?

No TRU for me.. I'm downloading all day (and the night before),
    finally installation worked, but.........
    I CAN'T RUN IT, because of my video card.
    I can't upgrade it, because I have a laptop.
    Is there any solution for that?
    If I upgrade my RAM, will that do the trick or it has nothing to do with graphics?
    And if there is no solution, will Eidos get me a new laptop?
    (And I promise I will buy the game)....................................

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    No TRU for me.. I'm downloading all day (and the night before),
    finally installation worked, but.........
    I CAN'T RUN IT, because of my video card.
    I can't upgrade it, because I have a laptop.
    Is there any solution for that?
    If I upgrade my RAM, will that do the trick or it has nothing to do with graphics?
    And if there is no solution, will Eidos get me a new laptop?
    (And I promise I will buy the game)....................................
    One option I've been considering for my laptop is to buy a dock that has a PCI slot. I could then put a separate card into that slot (it would have to be PCI and not PCI-E in my case, which limits my options).

I also needed help but now I see the picture a little more clearly. This game has requirements that are too high. Fans are ( rightfully ) upset. Fans are writing requests for help that range anywhere between friendly inquiries and hostile demands. The forum mod is basically saying your computer is a Volkswagon beetle.

Bulls**t. My video card may only be a year or two old but that's not old enough to warrant dropping $500 everytime a game publisher comes out with a new game that they developed on the highest end development machines commercially available and to the highest specs. This is exactly why I stopped buying FPS shooters by EA. Everytime they came out with a new game ( Battlefield Vietnam, BF2, BF2142 ) it required such a dramatically higher video card that the card I bought 6 months ago wasn't "good enough" and now, according to the forum mod around these parts, my card is a volkswagon beetle trying to keep up with everyone else. I spent $1800 over a period of 3 years buying new video cards all because EA took the same attitude towards their customers that Eidos just took to us with this video problem.

You know... I've been a loyal TR fan since the first game, helped co-webmaster some sites devoted to the game, helped a few girls I know on their Lara costumes for comic and game conventions, bought a ton of Tomb Raider merchandising....

Screw it. I just don't want to play the new game bad enough to go out and spend several hundred dollars on ANOTHER video card because the forum mod thinks spending this kind of money is routine maintenance. Maybe he's rich. I'm not. I'm not buying this game even if they correct the problem. I just don't need to put money in their pocket bad enough to accept a bad answer like that.

Tru

Spending that kind of money is a requirement for pc gaming, We can't stay stuck in the past with old outdated graphics just because a few people can't upgrade their systems, Even my $5000 pc I bought 3 years ago with 7900GTX OC SLI 512mb cards tends to be a little sluggish in places with the max settings turned up "hopefully will be fixed with better SLI drivers" & my $1000 Dell laptop with 8600m GT 256MB that I bought 5 months ago can't even run it at a decent frame rate. PC gaming is expensive, You have to buy sell & upgrade parts! It's not for the casual gamer. If your tired of spending so much money on pc parts buy a console! They tend to have a 5 year or more lifespan & the games are tuned to run perfectly on the hardware already inside of them. Maybe if you were to buy a good high end card in the first place & not a bare minimum required for the latest game you just have to play then you could get at least 5 years out of it before having to sell the old card & upgrade to a newer card.

Anyways with all that said I am disappointed that the depth of field is not all rendered in 3D. Why did they use low quality 2D textures!

As far as download times, It's 2008 why oh why don't you have DSL or Cable

Please don't take this as me being rude but the reality of the costs of pc gaming hit me a long time ago & these are just the facts, Games will get better, Graphics will get better, Gaming rigs cost a good bit of money & there is only so long that a company can make a game compatible with old outdated systems before they can no longer support them. My PC was my primary investment, Don't hate me saying I'm rich etc, Far from it, In fact I've been out of work for 2 1/2 years now. But a pc is an investment, You put good money into it & you'll be satisfied with all that it can do.....

YOU CAN"T GET A LAMBORGHINI FOR THE PRICE OF A FORD.

MY RIG
    Notice the comment on the video someone left about my hardware starting to age, 3 years is a very long time in pc years!

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtYea9HnJkQ

IF YOU HAVE NVIDIA 6 OR 7 SERIES CHECK THIS FORM ON WHY YOU HAVE POOR PERFORMANCE
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...d=1#post902824

Kingwin KT-424-S-WM Black Aluminum Pc Case
    Thermal Take 680 Watt PSU
    ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    Intel 3.46Ghz Extreme Edition 4mb Dual Core Processor
    2x 1GB Ballistix DDR2 PC5300
    2x BFG 7900 GTX OC 512mb Pcie Graphics Cards
    4x Liteon Dual Layer +- Dvd RW Drives
    4x Maxtor 7200rpm 300GB 16mb RAID 0 Hard Disk 1.2 TB
    Viewsonic 22" P225f Professional Series CRT -------------------------- 2048x1536 @ 75Hz
    Logitech z2200 200Watt THX Pc Speakers
    EluminX EL Backlighted Clear Key Keyboard "BLACK"
    ION EL Illuminated Mouse

Question Will GeForce 9500GT manage to run the game?

[- Graphic cards (taken from readme included with demo)
    Cards which should be able to play without issue
    ATI – Radeon X1800, Radeon X1900, Radeon X1950, Radeon HD2600/2900 series, Radeon HD3650/3850 Series, Radeon HD 4670/4850 series
    nVidia – GeForce 6800 Ultra, GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8800, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9800 GTX, GeForce GTX 2xx

Graphic Cards which may function but performance may be reduced.
    ATI – Radeon X1300, Radeon X1500, HD 2300/2400, HD4550
    nVidia – GeForce 6200, GeForce 6600, GeForce 7300, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8500, GeForce 9400/9500

Hi,
    sorry I don't mean to be dim but when you say the geforce 9400/9500 may have reduced performance is that the 9500GT?
    I have to buy a new card for my comp and would like to get the best I can that will run the game
    many thanks

Question

I have a windows vista dell inspiron 1525,when the demo is on the loading screen it goes black and says there is an error and it closes ,i dont av a clue about compunters,please tell me wat 2 do

pwease

Quote Originally Posted by tym View Post
    One option I've been considering for my laptop is to buy a dock that has a PCI slot. I could then put a separate card into that slot (it would have to be PCI and not PCI-E in my case, which limits my options).
    Thank you Tym!
    I still don't understand what I have to buy, but
    I will, as soon as possible! Thanks!
    (So, RAM has nothing to do with graphics, right?)

SilverSeal94

What specifically does the error say? If your Dell has intel integrated graphics then your SOL. But if you have the Nvidia 8400m or 8600m GT upgrade your laptop drivers, Dells drivers are a year old, Go to laptopvideo2go.com also google directX & download the latest Directx 9.0c if your running Vista you can try DirectX 10.

To see what graphics card you have, Right click on "My Computer" then go to "properties" Click the "Hardware" tab then click "device manager" click on the plus beside "display adapters" That should have the name of your graphics card in my case it shows "Nvidia 7900 GTX" If yours says intel then you'll have trouble running lots of games, But If it's a fairly new Nvidia or ATI graphics card then you should be able to run it, At low resolution & turn off shadows to get decent frame rate.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I also needed help but now I see the picture a little more clearly. This game has requirements that are too high. Fans are ( rightfully ) upset. Fans are writing requests for help that range anywhere between friendly inquiries and hostile demands. The forum mod is basically saying your computer is a Volkswagon beetle.

Bulls**t. My video card may only be a year or two old but that's not old enough to warrant dropping $500 everytime a game publisher comes out with a new game that they developed on the highest end development machines commercially available and to the highest specs. This is exactly why I stopped buying FPS shooters by EA. Everytime they came out with a new game ( Battlefield Vietnam, BF2, BF2142 ) it required such a dramatically higher video card that the card I bought 6 months ago wasn't "good enough" and now, according to the forum mod around these parts, my card is a volkswagon beetle trying to keep up with everyone else. I spent $1800 over a period of 3 years buying new video cards all because EA took the same attitude towards their customers that Eidos just took to us with this video problem.

You know... I've been a loyal TR fan since the first game, helped co-webmaster some sites devoted to the game, helped a few girls I know on their Lara costumes for comic and game conventions, bought a ton of Tomb Raider merchandising....

Screw it. I just don't want to play the new game bad enough to go out and spend several hundred dollars on ANOTHER video card because the forum mod thinks spending this kind of money is routine maintenance. Maybe he's rich. I'm not. I'm not buying this game even if they correct the problem. I just don't need to put money in their pocket bad enough to accept a bad answer like that.
    Well said. I still think PC gaming *is* for the casual gamer, hence my disappointment with CD's choices with this installment of TR.

i'd hate to think about how you thought about crysis, if you wanted to really play that as well, but couldn't...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by catnip20 View Post
    SilverSeal94

What specifically does the error say? If your Dell has intel integrated graphics then your SOL. But if you have the Nvidia 8400m or 8600m GT upgrade your laptop drivers, Dells drivers are a year old, Go to laptopvideo2go.com also google directX & download the latest Directx 9.0c if your running Vista you can try DirectX 10.

To see what graphics card you have, Right click on "My Computer" then go to "properties" Click the "Hardware" tab then click "device manager" click on the plus beside "display adapters" That should have the name of your graphics card in my case it shows "Nvidia 7900 GTX" If yours says intel then you'll have trouble running lots of games, But If it's a fairly new Nvidia or ATI graphics card then you should be able to run it, At low resolution & turn off shadows to get decent frame rate.
    Thanks so much for replying iv posted this lyk7 tyms nd no1 wil answer me lol

The Box that comes up at the error says:
    TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD HAS STOPPED WORKING PROPERLY
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.You shall be notified if a solution is available.

I know thats not much help.It says the Graphics card is "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family",what should I do next???

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSeal94 View Post
    Thanks so much for replying iv posted this lyk7 tyms nd no1 wil answer me lol

The Box that comes up at the error says:
    TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD HAS STOPPED WORKING PROPERLY
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.You shall be notified if a solution is available.

I know thats not much help.It says the Graphics card is "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family",what should I do next???

if that's a laptop graphics chipset (hence the "mobile" part of your chipset), you are in a world of hurt...not very many laptops are NOT going to be able to run Underworld, mainly because of the difference in graphics and integrated video that comes with laptops. hope you got Alienware/XPS somewhere layin' around....
    P.S. I like this forum!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by bingojubes View Post
    if that's a laptop graphics chipset (hence the "mobile" part of your chipset), you are in a world of hurt...not very many laptops are NOT going to be able to run Underworld, mainly because of the difference in graphics and integrated video that comes with laptops. hope you got Alienware/XPS somewhere layin' around....
    Soz I dnt av a clue abt compunters nd dnt kno wa ani ov dat means
    but du u mean ders no way it will work???

as for the un-l3373d conversation, Y3355H joo |/\|04r 7h4|\| |13k|y w1|| n07 B 4bl3 2 rn 3p1x G4/\/\3 0|\| j005 |\|00B-|\|ugg37 j00 reefur 2 Az @ l4p70pZX0rr0z.
    P.S. I like this forum!

Yeah, this is more than a little annoying...

I've got what I thought was a maxed-out Vaio - when I bought it a couple years ago - and now I discover that TRU is going to pretty much demand that I and 90% of the potential TR customer base do major hardware upgrades to their systems before they can even play the demo. When I think of the headaches I went through with my last system when I upgraded the graphics card it makes me cringe. 'Not looking forward to either the cost or the inevitable hassles in getting a new card to work.

I understand Eidos & CD wanting to make every TR release at the cutting edge of gaming technology, but does it make sense to force a mandatory system upgrade onto your customers with every new game release? What I'm thinking at this point is that I should just sit tight until I've got something like three new TR releases sitting on the shelf, unplayed, and then go out and just buy a brand-spankin' new PC so I can play them all with a minimum of hassle - aside from shelling out for a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by KasigiYabuSama View Post
    I've got what I thought was a maxed-out Vaio - when I bought it a couple years ago - and now I discover that TRU is going to pretty much demand that I and 90% of the potential TR customer base do major hardware upgrades to their systems before they can even play the demo.
    Naw, it is only 14,2 %.

... also just guessing here.

And you did not have to upgrade between Legend and Anniversary.

Question

[QUOTE- Graphic cards (taken from readme included with demo)
    Cards which should be able to play without issue
    ATI – Radeon X1800, Radeon X1900, Radeon X1950, Radeon HD2600/2900 series, Radeon HD3650/3850 Series, Radeon HD 4670/4850 series
    nVidia – GeForce 6800 Ultra, GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8800, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9800 GTX, GeForce GTX 2xx

Graphic Cards which may function but performance may be reduced.
    ATI – Radeon X1300, Radeon X1500, HD 2300/2400, HD4550
    nVidia – GeForce 6200, GeForce 6600, GeForce 7300, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8500, GeForce 9400/9500
    [/QUOTE]

When it says the GeForce 9500 may have reduced performance does that include the 9500GT?
    My card went weeks ago, been limping on with onboard graphics till able to get new card, and I want to try and get the best one I can that'll run the game.
    I've got a choice between the 9500GT and the 8600GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar View Post
    Naw, it is only 14,2 %.

... also just guessing here.

And you did not have to upgrade between Legend and Anniversary.

Ok, exaggeration for impact.

And yeah, all emotional frothing aside, I have to admit upon cooler consideration it's understandable and logical to pack a product with the latest and greatest graphics capabilities, especially in an industry whose technology changes as rapidly as this one. This ain't about keeping one guy happy, it's about staying viable in a seriously competitive business.

So I suppose it was time to upgrade my lame-arse 6600 anyhow. Any suggestions?

God, am I easy or what?

Ps2

Hello
    Demo for ps2....
    When I can have this one??
    Thanks

Can you run it?

Under "Systems Requirement Lab" there isn't any way of testing any of Tomb Raider Games. This is a useless bit of information. Why is it on Tomb Raider Site?

Strange new problem arising

Hi folks,
    I hope, that somebody here can help me.
    I downloaded the tru-demo from the eidos-site and installed it.
    worked fine.
    then my pc overheated and shut down.
    i installed new fans - and the temperature is absolutly right now.

BUT whenever I start the demo of tru it just won't start.
    it shows in the taskmanager the the process tru*32 is running, but the game won't pop up. There is not even a window anywhere to find ... and I can't stop the process (it ends itself within 5 to 10 minutes).

if I try to start the demo again it says: already running. strange, now isn't it?

If anyone wants to know:
    Windows Vista 64
    2x3,1 GH
    4 MB Ram
    GeForce 8600 GT
    DX 10 and everything else

even the test on the eidos-site "does this game run on your pc" said: everything SHOULD be alright ... so, does ANYONE know what is causing this?

I already tried:
    a) reinstall
    b) driver updates (graphics: 7.10.2008)
    c) start as administrator
    d) uninstall, shut down pc, restart, install
    e) I even tried to bind the game to ONE CPU

nothing works. So - can anyone tell me what's happening here?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar View Post
    A graphic card is a piece of computer hardware in your computer.

If you can not run the game your computer might not meet the necessary requirements. It is like trying to drive fast with an old Volkswagen Beetle. It just can't do it.

If you believe that your computer should meet the requirements, you have to upgrade the graphic card and sound card drivers. If you do not know how to do that, get someone who does know.

A computer is not a TV. A computer needs maintenance!!!
    and what if you don't have someone.
    I have no one and IDK the first shet about computers or how to update drivers. I asked my dad but he is clueless too. Sorry but this kind of IT technicality is way beyond me experience.

I was just kinda hopeing edios would like...re-do or make some graphics adjustments to the game so everyone can play. I am really kinda disapointed because I waited over a year for this and I can't even play.

I am just glad I did not force myself to buy the actual game itself with my money. It would be such a shame if I had wasted my allowance to know I have to save again to get a new graphics chipset, much less a new laptop or computer. My older sister ordered the CD version for my Birthday (yay for november people! ) BUT sadly she had to cancel that shipment because I told her I couldn't play the demo so it made no sence. :x

All i got to say to Edios, is that I think ... who try to create alliance in order to put a heavy shift on the demand curve of computer hardware through the influence of their game. If not, they would have made it allot more compatible but instead they are forcing evryone to go out and buy new hardware or new computers....
    even when they havn't noticed money is rather scarce atm.

Quote Originally Posted by sexyalex View Post
    and what if you don't have someone.
    I have no one and IDK the first shet about computers or how to update drivers. I asked my dad but he is clueless too. Sorry but this kind of IT technicality is way beyond me experience.
    Then try one of these:

Or,

Quote Originally Posted by sexyalex View Post
    All i got to say to Edios, is that I think they are selfish pricks who try to create alliance in order to put a heavy shift on the demand curve of computer hardware through the influence of their game. If not, they would have made it allot more compatible but instead they are forcing evryone to go out and buy new hardware or new computers....
    Not only the typo, but the thought in general is completely laughable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast