Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider : Underworld FAQ - Read this first!

Tomb Raider : Underworld FAQ - Read this first!

Troubleshooting

Q: The game/demo is not running on my computer. What do I do?
    A: Update your drivers. Graphic, Sound and AGP drivers. After installing those new drivers reinstall DirectX.

If that doesn't help use the search function to find out if someone else has a similar problem which was already solved in another thread.

If you can not find anything that matches your problem post and ask for help. Make sure you give us enough information to help you. (post the results of your DXDiagnostics
    )

Click Start, then run. Type dxdiag and click ok. In the new window click save information as... and save the file to your harddrive by clicking ok again.

In that file you have now everything you need to know about your computer. Post those information (all of it) in your thread.

Q: How do I get my DXDiag.txt?
    A: Click Start, then run. Type dxdiag and click ok. In the new window click save information as... and save the file to your harddrive by clicking ok again.

Q: Do I need to update all my drivers?
    A: Yes

Q: The game stutters.
    Low end nVidia hardware users may notice a slight stutter when first entering a location. This is a known issue with the current release of drivers (178.13). This should be addressed in an upcoming driver release.

Q: demo install: bigfile crc fail
    A: did u download from official site, or torrent. Torrent was partially corrupted. Retry from official sites only (more coming online all the time)

Q: Setup asks for original CD
    A: Make sure you are extracting the archive first before running the setup program within it.

Q: Direct3d couldn't initialize
    A: graphics card is under spec

Q: Game runs slow
    A: drop resolution down, try disabling shadows (biggest hit on performance)

Q: Crashing on loading screen
    A: ensure drivers are up to date

Q: I start the game, then the screen turns black and my computer reboots
    A: The rebooting is a feature of Windows in case of an error. It has the nasty effect that when you encounter the error you have no way of finding out what actually cause the error because Windows reboots.

You can turn that reboot nonsense off.

1. From the desktop right-click on My Computer.
    2. Click the Properties option.
    3. In the System Properties window click the Advanced tab.
    4. In Advanced click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    5. In the Startup and Recovery window uncheck the Automatically restart check box.
    6. Click Ok.

Then run the game and look for clues that might tell us what causes the error. Have you updated all your system drivers?

Drivers for desktop pc's - game requires very latest drivers to work.
    - nvidia users - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    - ati users - http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Drivers for laptops - this is really hard as they are all different usually.

- Graphic cards (taken from readme included with demo)
    Cards which should be able to play without issue
    ATI – Radeon X1800, Radeon X1900, Radeon X1950, Radeon HD2600/2900 series, Radeon HD3650/3850 Series, Radeon HD 4670/4850 series
    nVidia – GeForce 6800 Ultra, GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8800, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9800 GTX, GeForce GTX 2xx

Graphic Cards which may function but performance may be reduced.
    ATI – Radeon X1300, Radeon X1500, HD 2300/2400, HD4550
    nVidia – GeForce 6200, GeForce 6600, GeForce 7300, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8500, GeForce 9400/9500

Will add to as more stuff arises. If people find other issues and solutions we can keep this thread `clean` of conversations and just keep valid help?
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

okay so this is my problem
    - Direct3d couldn't initialize - graphics card is under spec

what do u suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by jaycw2309 View Post
    - Direct3d couldn't initialize - graphics card is under spec
    Is there no way to dial down settings to get the game to run on slightly older equipment? The only shortcoming of my graphics card is the pixel and vertex shader 3.0 requirement. The demo has no provision for running with v. 2.0?

It would be unfortunate if this game can only be played by those with expensive, high-end equipment.

Looks like I'll potentially have to pass on this game.

I have the installation problem with the bigfile and the second one with
    the cd..
    But, I downloaded the demo from Eidos (direct download).
    If Eidos download doesn't work, then what else would work???
    Anyway... I'm very disappointed..

can i run the demo

i got a radeon 9600 series

and when i try running it come up with this message

failed to initialize direct3D with currnt settings

i tryed changing the settings

but it still dont work

can any one help me

I am so undeniably pissed off right now that after over a year of anticipation I finally get a small glimpse and chance to play some of what I expect to be the coolest Tomb Raider yet, and the *** demo doesn't support my graphics card, even though, my graphics card is approved by the minimum game requirements that TRU has listed.

Really, there isn't some sort of fix for this Direct3D bs?
    www.myspace.com/ronaldparisi <--My music!

Question intel chipset

i pass all the minium accept video card features such as
    HW transform and lighting
    No vertex shaders
    And only pixel shader 2.0
    Can i still run it at lowest possible settings?

heres more info
    (yes i know my card is bad)

^ Unfortunately, I don't think so. I have a higher-rated GPU with 128 MB dedicated memory. The only failing is I have vertex and pixel shader 2.0 instead of 3.0. The demo will not run at all; I get a "failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings" dialog box and that's it.

Unless there is a registry hack to make the game run with the 2.0 shaders, the only option is new hardware (or a console).

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the game to be such a quantum leap in hardware requirements over the last two; it seems that CD is targeting the console market primarily.

Vote with your wallet. I have no choice but to avoid this game, it seems.

it says failed to initialise 3D direct this means my graphics card is under spec right

Thank, but I run it just fine! And I live it!
    "I got what I wanted....Isn't that all we care about?
    Amanda Evert - Meybe not any moor in TR but always in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by HaroonMJKL View Post
    it says failed to initialise 3D direct this means my graphics card is under spec right
    That seems to be the consensus, though some are reporting it with cards that are supported. So, it could be a bug with the demo.

It would be nice if some official weigh-in would occur.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tym View Post
    ^ Unfortunately, I don't think so. I have a higher-rated GPU with 128 MB dedicated memory. The only failing is I have vertex and pixel shader 2.0 instead of 3.0. The demo will not run at all; I get a "failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings" dialog box and that's it.

Unless there is a registry hack to make the game run with the 2.0 shaders, the only option is new hardware (or a console).

Frankly, I wasn't expecting the game to be such a quantum leap in hardware requirements over the last two; it seems that CD is targeting the console market primarily.

Vote with your wallet. I have no choice but to avoid this game, it seems.
    i remember a youtube video of a guy playing crysis on a worse intel chipset just fine.
    but he had to download something which i sadly dont remember, 3d anylis or something.

Is it 3D Analyzer? Someone mentioned it in another thread.

I'll give it a look if the error is confirmed to be due to hardware limitations and not a buggy demo.

Ok my problem is when I go to extract the demo it says file corrupted, but I found the setup of the demo and when I click it say I need the disk1.´
    What I do???
    I think Amanda might not have died down here.
    http://img209.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_374lo.jpg

I have a different problem.

I have my drivers up to date, i am running Vista Ultimate on a Vostro 1000 laptop.
    My error when trying to run the demo is in the Setup menu.
    When I press 'Set to default' and i press 'OK'
    the error returned is "Tomb Raider: Underworld - Error" "Failed to initialize Direct3d with current settings"
    Please help!

EDIT

Sorry, I have just noticed people have asked this before..

YAAAARG!!! graphics, graphics, graphics! me thinks there are enough threads aboot graphics by now

as for scores: here's mine:

you may have a score of 3.3, but since u are running vista, you have to be a bit more than the recommended system rating for the game: from what i have experienced, vista is either very picky or has expensive tastes as far as hardware is concerned. my setup plays TR:Underworld with all max details.

Unhappy Wont work on my end either

I also get..failed to initialize direct3D with current settings, first xbox breaks now this.

Thumbs Down Very Big Performance Issues

Ok, first of all this game sucks because it is not optimised at all ,i have a gforce 6600 and i can barely play this lazy demo ;i don't know what's going on with this producers these days. DEAD SPACE plays like charm and this BS is not working at all .SHAME ON YOU EIDOS.

what is that suppose to mean?
    what do i have to do???
    please help!!!
    when i click ok shows this....
    i really want to play the demo
    and if i can download better NVIDIA
    by myself and free i would do it!!
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    ''I never show off''Lara Croft

It's no mystery ur cards are all crap.

Even the ps3 has a modified 7900gtx in it.

And pc's r currently on the 200 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Croft View Post
    Ok my problem is when I go to extract the demo it says file corrupted, but I found the setup of the demo and when I click it say I need the disk1.´
    What I do???
    ME too~~
    My God...I want to play....

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Laras bigest fan View Post

what is that suppose to mean?
    what do i have to do???
    please help!!!
    when i click ok shows this....
    i really want to play the demo
    and if i can download better NVIDIA
    by myself and free i would do it!!
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    A graphic card is a piece of computer hardware in your computer.

If you can not run the game your computer might not meet the necessary requirements. It is like trying to drive fast with an old Volkswagen Beetle. It just can't do it.

If you believe that your computer should meet the requirements, you have to upgrade the graphic card and sound card drivers. If you do not know how to do that, get someone who does know.

A computer is not a TV. A computer needs maintenance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pleomax View Post
    It's no mystery ur cards are all crap.
    Thank you for the trenchant insight.

Yesterday I downloaded the demo in Tombraiderchronicles.com when I was extracting it say corrupted bigfile.000
    Later I downloadde the demo in tombraider.com and when I was extracting it say corrupted medsea.lop or something.
    And now I just have the other files except the bigfile.000
    Help
    Sorry my English
    I think Amanda might not have died down here.
    http://img209.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_374lo.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast