Thread: BS:Pacific DLC Concerns

BS:Pacific DLC Concerns

BS:Pacific DLC Concerns

Just listened to the 1UP Yours podcast where DLC for Tomb Raider: Underworld was announced and discussed. It made me think about our favorite future Eidos game - BS: Pacific.

Concerns:

Do not trumpet DLC before the actual retail version releases. It comes across as if content is merely being held back to garner more cash. That may be the case but too many customers and critics will see it as content that obviously could/should have been in John Q Public's hands when he shelled out $60 at the store.

Focus your limited development resources on multiplayer. If a customer has the ability to get DLC they are probably playing online. Single player DLC can easily be skipped over as not needed but when people keep playing online and see others are playing a map they don't have they are more likely to buy it. Multiplayer DLC also adds longevity to the game, keeping players interested well after release.

Stagger DLC releases. BS:M only had one DLC release. BS:P should have at least two, preferably three or four. Release the first one after the same interval that was used in BS:M, 3 or 4 months. The second should follow 4 or 5 months later.

FIX DLC BUGS! You guys know you botched the Sibuyan Sea DLC but never fixed it despite the problem being identified by the FANS a few days after it launched. To this day I have to explain to players who think they can't play that map they need to switch their console display settings to something less than 1080i. I'm honestly a little worried Eidos has decided that if it's playable there's no need to fix bugs, even if they crash the game. Burn me again and I will be off the bandwagon.

Enable an in-game DLC notice to advertise upcoming content. Use this to advertise BS:3 news when it starts production. There are a lot of players of BS:M who don't know about BS:Pacific, its release window, and other info. Your hardcore customers are left to spread the word for you. EA has done this sort of thing well with tickers across the bottom of the menu screen. One problem with the way EA's ticker worked in Battlefield: Modern Combat: the ticker often repeated the same thing for 6 to 12 months. Make yours an occassional thing.

yeah more DLC downloads

jsut make sure 1 DLC has tons of stuffs

All I know is that the developers should do a interview where they stress that they are going to actually support the game this time. I'm sorry to be blunt, but with Midway they left us high and dry. One multiplayer map, one single player map, a few new units that were tied to one map, and absolutely no mod/map making tools for PC. In fact they didn't even fix a terrible glitch with the 360 DLC that made it unplayable in 1080i. I was very disappointed in the developers of this game and I hope they reassure us this won't happen again.

Smile

Originally Posted by Polarshark
    yeah more DLC downloads

jsut make sure 1 DLC has tons of stuffs
    Contridicting your self a bit there!

the thing i have to say is more new maps thats all most of us care about i

Originally Posted by crazyhorse128
    Contridicting your self a bit there!
    what does that mean??

I find it funny that many people already speculate about DLCs yet they don't even understand that depth and content of the original product.

This does not mean that I do not want DLCs it's just that for now what matter is the game release. Nobody going to "buy" DLC if the original product is not successful...

Originally Posted by It3llig3nc3
    I find it funny that many people already speculate about DLCs yet they don't even understand that depth and content of the original product.

This does not mean that I do not want DLCs it's just that for now what matter is the game release. Nobody going to "buy" DLC if the original product is not successful...
    The main reason why I brought this up was because Eidos, the publisher of BS:M and BS:P, began its PR for the DLC for Tomb Raider: Underworld at least as early as Oct. 6: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41...C-For-Xbox-360
    That's 6 weeks before the actual game releases.

And the release date for the 1st DLC? This Christmas . . . about 5 weeks after the $60 game hits shelves, with the 2nd DLC coming in early 2009.

I think it is a very fair criticism to make that at least the 1st DLC could be included with TR:U but is being held back to get Eidos a bit more cash.

I don't want to see BS:P left open to the same criticism, esp. when the only DLC for BS:M was released in a game crashing state and never fixed.

In sum: keep your mouth shut about DLC other than to maybe say "there will be DLC at some point" or even better "there will be DLC and it will continue to be supported after release". That could be construed to mean subsequent DLC and avoid a public recognition that the DLC for BS:M was buggy.

Smile

Originally Posted by Polarshark
    what does that mean??
    you say you want lots, then on the next line you say you only want one

LORD BLACKFIRE, I don't know if making such a case is a good idea at this stage because some other games has some DLC policy.

I'm sure you agree that gaming market is more or less "free" in a sense that players CHOOSE what to buy and what not.

As far as we know by now BS:P is going to be heavily packed with both SP and MP features. It does not really matter when they start talking about extensions.

Also please consider that there is a huge ELAPSE between the release date and the date when the developer hands over the product for distribution. By the time the game gets released the developer can be very well in working on (if not finishing) the first DLC...

I do not agree with the idea of speculating about how EIDOS is trying to "rip off" money from us. They do what they see fit and YOU, have the choice: TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. That's all.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse128
    you say you want lots, then on the next line you say you only want one
    lol that'll never happen

i want about possibly 10 new units per DLC

i like different

BSM has so much wildcats in all carriers in multiplayer

very boring

could've had at least hawker hurricane or P40 for a change

Originally Posted by It3llig3nc3
    LORD BLACKFIRE, I don't know if making such a case is a good idea at this stage because some other games has some DLC policy.

I'm sure you agree that gaming market is more or less "free" in a sense that players CHOOSE what to buy and what not.

As far as we know by now BS:P is going to be heavily packed with both SP and MP features. It does not really matter when they start talking about extensions.

Also please consider that there is a huge ELAPSE between the release date and the date when the developer hands over the product for distribution. By the time the game gets released the developer can be very well in working on (if not finishing) the first DLC...

I do not agree with the idea of speculating about how EIDOS is trying to "rip off" money from us. They do what they see fit and YOU, have the choice: TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. That's all.
    You aren't getting the point.

Eidos' PR department has the choice: to be seen trying to rip off customers by promoting details of DLC far in advance of a game's release; or by holding that information back until just after the game's release so there's at least a doubt as to whether or not that content could have been included with the release. It doesn't matter whether or not the actual game is finished well ahead of the release date. It's the public's perception.

Note that it was not I who said TR:U's DLC is an obvious case of pulling content out of the original game just to sell it later for more money. It was a podcast that is listened to by many in the gaming community, both on the industry side and the customer base. Actually, it was stated by John Davison who has been interviewed on national television in recent months about the gaming industry.

I'm just suggesting that Eidos needs to be more conscientious about how it promotes its products. I'd rather not see BS:P get painted with the same brush.

I don't know. I think I get the point.
    But still... You will be the one making the real choice not them.

so why does it matter what they MIGHT do? and why worrying about something they have not even done yet?

I suggest to go one step at a time...

If they make any DLC it will only on big one which will be like an expansion pack for the computer which will most likely be an Atlantic map pack I don't think there will be a BS:3 because there isn't much more they can do unless they go world war one