Thread: Worthplaying.com Battlestations Pacific hands on preview

Worthplaying.com Battlestations Pacific hands on preview

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Worthplaying.com Battlestations Pacific hands on preview

Thanks to Sonarman.

Worthplaying.com have a new hands-on preview of Eidos forthcoming naval strategy title Battlestations Pacific.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=56097

Looks like the resolution to the suicide issue has been adressed.

One nice feature is that your ammo is no longer limited. If your plane survives, it will slowly regenerate rockets, which helps to keep the action flowing smoothly.
    Sweet!!

You see the human soldiers battling it out on the ground, and you can use your various vehicles to influence the outcome of the battle. In this case, we took our Destroyer's massive cannons and began bombarding the enemy formation just as our troop transport landed and spilled out a swarm of battle-ready soldiers in front of them. Between the Destroyer's constant attacks and my AI-controlled soldier's own actions, we quickly took out the enemy forces and conquered the island, giving us control of the resources there.
    both online and offline multiplayer available

Read it, very good! Hope this is better then BM coz although it looked good, thanks to the lack of a tutorial and rubbish online play I could never get into the demo so I never got the full game.

Shame. You should have come here. There was a walk through for the demo that would have got ya going.

LoL - this is what drives me nuts... ...on the focus group testing I was attending to I had to sign a non disclosure agreement and in two weeks many of the "Great Secrets" I have seen and not allowed to talk to is up on the internet publicly...

Anyways. I still prefer the real test experience + NDA + silence over just being able to read about it...

Those lawyers...

Naw, that is more a marketing thing. Either way I agree. Reading about it, no matter how cool it sounds just pales in comparison to actually playing it.

It sounds like a good idea, although is landing even viable anymore?

Good question. I wonder if weapons replenish for units not under your direct control?

Not sure I like that idea of regenerating weapons at all. A lot of us gamers were looking to the developers to give us a reason to land planes without crashing them, I don't really think anyone wanted a reason to not land planes at all.

On top of this I'm not sure it solves anything either. If the rockets/torps/bombs take a long time to "respawn" while your plane is flying in circles then people will still crash them.

Maybe less time to respawn than it would take to crash and spawn a new plane. It will be interesting to see what kind of tactics people come up with and which will be favored (crash or respawn weapons)

Originally Posted by Shamrock
    Not sure I like that idea of regenerating weapons at all.
    same here
    i dont like the idea of planes respawning bombs, torps and rockets

think about it this way: imagine 3 wings of divebombers attacking 1 Kiso class CL at the same time, ok depending of a number of factors how many will go down to AA? as average i would say (for the Kiso) 1 Wing.
    good the rest gets away with it and attack a few minutes (if even) later again? no thx!

i also still dont see the problem with players crashing their planes in (i do it as well!)

at least this is a player made tactic, its a decision you make!
    if someone wants to call it "unfair" or "unrealistic" let it be so!
    after all this is a game, compare it with other multiplayer games you know and you wil see that this is nothing
    -=)CSF(=-Haruna

Did anyone notice if the respawning weapons was for both SP/MP or just MP?

1. The article writer refers to an SP mission they were allowed to play. (Fictional battle from the Japanese campaign if I recall correctly...). So weapon recharge/reload is available in SP for sure... we don't know about MP but my guess would be that it's no different.
    2. For the people thinking about reloading weapons: in BS:M nobody complained about the unlimited ammo in the plane's machine gun. Well just go and read about how many seconds of firing time did a WWII plane had! (let me help you: fingers in ONE of your hands is enough to count it...)
    3. If you think about recharging weapons in BS:P just try to think it over from the gaming experience point of view. Even if we like to call it a strategy game huge part of it is instant action. The issue with BS:M was the crashing planes - but why? One side of the answer is that it was too boring to fly back and re-load. It took TOO MUCH TIME RELATIVE TO THE PACE OF THE EVENTS. So recharge perhaps is an improvement for the gaming experience...? how about that?

Absolutely. Personally I think it is a good balance between the whole issue of flying back / suicide that was debated about.. allot.

im more crashing them in becaue of the extra damage it does than of the time it takes to fly back

another idea: instaed of respawning bombs i would limit the planes machine gun ammo!
    -=)CSF(=-Haruna

I cant see it changing much if anything.The fact that you know if a plane makes it out alive from attacking your ship and then can rearm will only make you to sit on the aa for a little longer instead of now as most do,leave fleeing planes alone to make the slow trip home to land or as in a lot of cases get taken down by A.I aa or C.A.P. chasing retreating foe.
    I do not think the planes would last long enough for the rearm to make it relevant.

Originally Posted by raston
    I do not think the planes would last long enough for the rearm to make it relevant.
    How many times happens in BS:M on Coral Sea that the CVs run out of planes and the game is technically a "Tie". What if planes would re-charge? Don't you think that you will strategize DIFFERENTLY if the planes would re-charge?
    It's all about tactic. You guys are writing off an idea that you had ZERO, I repeat ZERO experience playing/testing, whereas the DEVs had plenty of opportunity to simulate variations and options and decide what to implement.

Cowboys - don't jump on the gun too quickly. THINK first. It won't hurt...

I grant you that im going from experience gained from BSM and there may be a difference in BSP.....but thats all any of us can go on and in MY experience planes dont last too long after dropping thier payloads, and its rare for planes to land so my point was would it alter players minds if they could rearm but that rearm took longer than thier life expectancy while trying to avoid aa fire and move out of range to turn and attack again.
    Would the fact that you only had 1 daunt left that was beaten up with a brand new bomb on board realy make any difference.