Page 6 of 21 First First ... 234567891016 ... Last

Thread: Regenerating Health Should Be Optional

Regenerating Health Should Be Optional

  1. #126
    I wouldn't mind it at all if it had a VERY slow rate. Something along the lines of "Hey it's been a while and my ankle doesn't feel as sore as when I tripped".
    If we're able to "regrow" bodyparts by simply sitting on a corner for 5minutes I'll cry. Really, I will cry and post the proof here.

  2. #127
    Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Lighten up, Francis.
    Hey, just saying.

  3. #128
    New! Health
    "The year is 2027"

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    184
    Originally Posted by jordan_a
    New! Health
    Did you mean to just link back to this thread?

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,084
    Originally Posted by CarloGervasi
    Did you mean to just link back to this thread?
    He always does that. Just means he added this thread to the list of "important" threads. The thread containing the list is one of the stickies.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    FEAR 2 developers cut regenerating health system....

    Good news! In-house gameplay testing has made Monolith see sense, resulting in the removal of Halo health regeneration!

    Usually when you see mystifying behavior in a playtest, it’s a buggy AI defying your best efforts to make him act the way you expect. This time it was a player. He had stumbled into an intense firefight against five or six ATC regulars and was spraying them with submachinegun fire in slowmo, flinging grenades one after another into the chaos of smoke, sparks, debris, and flying body parts. Then he abruptly turned and ran back the way he had come, completely disengaging from combat.
    The reason soon became clear. As we watched, the red screen tint signaling imminent death faded away and the player charged back around the corner to continue the fight. He had run off in search of a dark corner where he could regenerate in peace.
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42...-System-Nerfed

    Just putting it out there
    cough

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    184
    Now I just have to hope the guys Deus Ex has been entrusted to are as smart as the FEAR guys. It'll be just my luck though that a game I care about gets saddled with health regeneration trendwhoring while one I don't manages to escape it.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    I understand how you feel man. We just need to wait and see what happens. There are many ways to have a regenerating health system. Ways which I believe will suit a DX game. I'm not over the moon about it, but I will learn to accept it and who knows, maybe it will even grow on me

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    184
    There are. Honestly, the biggest thing to me is in-game explanations. If Adam has a "regeneration" augmentation installed when the game starts, with a nice little scientific explanation to go along with it (like how JC did for his IFF, info link, light, etc), I'll probably be totally happy with it. It still won't be good game design, but creating a cohesive, believable fantasy is what really matters to me most in a Deus Ex game. If they can just do that, then yeah, regenerating health will be something I can begrudgingly live with.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    So far, I am very happy with everything that we know with the slight exception of the regenerating health idea. But, as you say, if it is explained correctly in game is well justified I'm sure I will learn to like it, if not just live with it.

  11. #136
    Well I thought I'd post here seeing as I was cruelly stopped from replying in the other thread I made.

    Part of the reason I don't like the autoheal idea is because it infers a direction that the developers are going in, in the same way that the "cover system" suggests a certain direction.

    Now it may be that my fears are incorrect and the autoheal system is done in such a way that it works and the fact that it is being included in no way means that the developers are taking a simplified arcade/console approach to things. However I am suspicious and I think after Deux Ex 2 we should all be very suspicious and raise concerns.

    I like the idea that has been suggested that there is some sort of slow autoheal but it can be accelerated using food/drink/medical kits etc.


    And DXexodus I think it was a little harsh you locking my thread, admittedly I probably should have posted my comments in another thread, but I don't really see why I shouldn't 'have a rant' immediately when I join this forum. This forum after all is about voicing opinions and i wasn't offensive to anyone or anything I don't think. Besides you don't have to read my rant unless you wanted too. Sorry to respond here but you locked the thread.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    Originally Posted by iamrob7
    And DXexodus I think it was a little harsh you locking my thread, admittedly I probably should have posted my comments in another thread, but I don't really see why I shouldn't 'have a rant' immediately when I join this forum. This forum after all is about voicing opinions and i wasn't offensive to anyone or anything I don't think. Besides you don't have to read my rant unless you wanted too. Sorry to respond here but you locked the thread.
    We have been through this countless times. You are more than welcome to voice your opinions in a mature manner, but too many times people get far too carried away without reason. Saying that the game must be for "retarded" people, asking for it to not be "gay" etc is not mature. I locked your thread because it did not contribute to anything.

    I am sorry if you are offended, but spend enough time here and you will realize that if everyone who had a complaint or a rant came on and made a new thread, then we would have hundreds of useless rant threads.

    The developers are more than aware of our gripes by now.

  13. #138
    Well you have been through this countless times but for me it's fresh. I appreciate I probably should have seperated my points and put them in the different topics so I apologise for that.

    However I didn't think I got carried away without reason at all, using the words retarded or gay in a descriptive fashion as in bad is valid is it not? My point about adding things like autoheal so the game is accessible for 'consoles or people who are retarded' is a valid one I think. Because this seemingly was what in part happened with DX2. Nothing immature about it just making my point. If I came in swearing etc and not making any points then fine but I did make points.

    To you presumably because you are on this board permanently, those points are old news, I'm sure they have been made many times by many different people in many different ways. I just wanted to speak my mind also.

    Fair enough you can lock the thread and tell me to post elsewhere but criticising me for 'having a rant the first time i post' and using language which is allegedly immature when I am just making my point concisely I think is a little harsh. However I know that modding can be a exhausting and repetative job so you have my sympathy and I will shut up about it in future.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    I too apologize if it seemed harsh. Often, as a mod, I can seem to be the annoying teacher telling everyone to be quiet, but I am just doing my job.

    Feel free to criticize the game, but for future reference, please place those comments in the applicable areas and try not to be so abrasive in the way you bring those points across. Being abrasive only puts people off and you will, more often than not, just be ignored.


  15. #140
    Originally Posted by iamrob7
    Well you have been through this countless times but for me it's fresh. I appreciate I probably should have seperated my points and put them in the different topics so I apologise for that.

    However I didn't think I got carried away without reason at all, using the words retarded or gay in a descriptive fashion as in bad is valid is it not? My point about adding things like autoheal so the game is accessible for 'consoles or people who are retarded' is a valid one I think. Because this seemingly was what in part happened with DX2. Nothing immature about it just making my point. If I came in swearing etc and not making any points then fine but I did make points.

    To you presumably because you are on this board permanently, those points are old news, I'm sure they have been made many times by many different people in many different ways. I just wanted to speak my mind also.

    Fair enough you can lock the thread and tell me to post elsewhere but criticising me for 'having a rant the first time i post' and using language which is allegedly immature when I am just making my point concisely I think is a little harsh. However I know that modding can be a exhausting and repetative job so you have my sympathy and I will shut up about it in future.

    Actually using the word gay as a euphamism for bad is out of line. Would you use the word kyke to describe a disappointing protagonist?

    I'll go through your post and show you where you went wrong if you like (I'll be going to extremes here and attempting to emulate the thought processes of mods so note: this is not my view)
    Ok the Time has finally come for me to say a few things...

    Reading the recent news regarding Deus Ex 3 has spurred me on to make this move. Join this forum etc
    This is all fine

    I played Deus Ex when it came out and there has never been a better computer game. Deus Ex 2 wasn't bad but obviously got a lot of things wrong.
    hugely subjective statement, it got a lot of things wrong based on what YOU wanted from the game. For some people I'm sure Deus Ex 2 is their prefered game out of the two, because different people want different things. Don't state opinion as fact.

    I'm quite sure someone has a thread on this forum where people offer their opinions but I can't find it, so I just want to say a few things and please the developers listen...although i suspect they won't.
    Passive aggressive antagonism. You're basically baiting the developers here.

    1 - This game has to be long...long long long...charge me double i don't care...i will pay you huge sums of money for this game, but make it deep and long. Don't give me a Deus Ex 2 kind of over in five minutes situation please.
    Hyperbole, but this is fine

    2 - Basically Deus Ex 1 had everything right apart from the shooting mechanics...copy that mofo. I have a really good idea for the shooting mechanics also....remember the game SWAT 4...the shooting mechanics in that is perfect for this game...PERFECT...the crosshair, the feel of it...everything...copy that mofo.
    Not a very well put point as you don't elaborate as to WHY it is perfect, but that's a lack of debating skill rather than an attempt at causing offence

    3 - I just read you are going to include Auto-Heal???????? Noooooooo please noooooo, don't give me that Call of duty BS. Call of Duty is not a great game it is a good game and if anyone says its great well that's just because of the multiplayer aspect.
    Massively subjective statement, many would say the same in reverse. This is your opinion yet you state it as fact. Don't do it.

    Telling me you are giving Deus Ex 3 Auto Heal is like stabbing me in the face with a 12inch knife.
    Ridiculous hyperbole.

    DONT DO IT....PLEASE...IT IS A MISTAKE...I don't know if you are under pressure to make it like that for consoles or for people who are retarded or whatever...but don't do it...it is so arcadey and so very very lame...
    I liked the recharging health in Halo, it changed how you played the game from a tactical point of view. Please avoid calling me retarded in future. Based on your grasp of grammar and overuse of slang I believe my intellect far outweighs yours. But then again, that's my belief, not a fact...

    4 - Covering...When I heard you were using a covering system that really worried me...REALLY WORRIED...PLEASE please please don't make it like a cover and fire game or anything remotely like that. If this game ends up as some sort of static shifting cover game in any context I will cry...CRY...it was fine in Deus Ex 1...Just copy Deus Ex 1 but improve the AI and shooting mechanics and bingo you have a masterpiece.
    Kinda whiney, but this paragraph is acceptable.

    5 - Just don't make it gay I beg you, if in doubt COPY DEUS EX (first game)...just copy whatever they did there. You have the opportunity to create the greatest game in the history of all things....seriously this game could be it...the best ever for all eternity.,., Ok slight exagerration but really it is a serious business.
    "Just don't make it gay"

    If I have to explain to you what's wrong with that statement. It has no basis, it's offensive and makes you sound like a 10 year old spouting naughty words...

    6 - If you fail and turn this game into some short ass, auto healing, covering, console piece of poo poo I will sue your asses for the money to fund the inevitable crack habit i will develop after the dissapointment.

    I'm sure all you developers are nice people, but really when i hear about things like Auto Heal I start to worry where this game is going...make it something sacred...something special...don't turn it into a load of poo
    Again, pointless ridiculous hyperbole

    I think you made all of three points, but none of them are backed up other than to say, "I WANT THESE THINGS CAUSE I LIKE EM!"

    Doesn't require a thread to do that, and all three points have seperate threads allready

    That's why it got locked, deal with it.

  16. #141
    PROTIP: When you see a hyperlink with "..." in the middle, don't expect copy'n'pasting it to work.

  17. #142

    Wow that was petty :D

    "Actually using the word gay as a euphamism for bad is out of line. Would you use the word kyke to describe a disappointing protagonist?"

    No I wouldn't use Kyke but then that is a ridiculous analogy to make comparing "gay" to "kyke". "Gay" has become a modern slang to describe something you don't like and doesn't upset any of the gay people i know so I don't know why it should upset you. Kyke is a derogatory racial term that in no way can be construed as causing no offense. A ridiculous extreme analogy.


    "hugely subjective statement, it got a lot of things wrong based on what YOU wanted from the game. For some people I'm sure Deus Ex 2 is their prefered game out of the two, because different people want different things. Don't state opinion as fact."

    Well I can only offer "my" opinion...what else do you expect...I am talking about ME and my opinion. I enjoyed Deus Ex 2 but like the vast majority of people felt in comparison to DX1 it got a lot of things wrong. I don't insult or insinuate that anyone who feels different is wrong, I simply state my opinion like any other normal human being. What on earth is your problem with that?


    "Passive aggressive antagonism. You're basically baiting the developers here."

    No I wasn't baiting anyone, I was just expressing my belief that my voice here was one in a thousand so I knew no one was really going to give me any special attention. This was meant as an admittance of my insignificance in the process as when you rant people can often misunderstand that you believe your view has special importance.

    "Hyperbole, but this is fine"

    Exagerrating something to make a point is indeed fine on a fan forum, thanks for your approval.


    "Not a very well put point as you don't elaborate as to WHY it is perfect, but that's a lack of debating skill rather than an attempt at causing offence"

    No it is not a lack of anything, I just didn't want to write a 300 page essay on why I think Deus Ex is perfect, people on here presumably have played the game so they already know. What a petty comment for you to make.


    "Massively subjective statement, many would say the same in reverse. This is your opinion yet you state it as fact. Don't do it. "

    Ahaha this is an opinion I am voicing, my fears for what autoheal infers...anyone can express a different opinion I am not stopping them, if I say to you Call of Duty 4 was a rubbish game, then that is up to me. Of course it will be stated as a fact, because it is a fact this is my opinion. Sheesh

    "Ridiculous hyperbole."

    I am expressing my feelings toward something using an extreme example, this is a fan forum I'm not writing a formal letter to a business partner. This forum is about the fans passion for this game, so I am expressing this. Maybe you should try not to take life so seriously on a fans forum for a computer game? no?

    "I liked the recharging health in Halo, it changed how you played the game from a tactical point of view. Please avoid calling me retarded in future. Based on your grasp of grammar and overuse of slang I believe my intellect far outweighs yours. But then again, that's my belief, not a fact... "

    Ahaha, well you come across like someone who is petty, takes life a bit too seriously and probably thinks he is smart but has no real life experience. I would never declare my intellect as being "greater" than someones, to me thats a vulgar, pathetic act that can only come from someone who really doesn't have a lot going for them. But then that of course is an opinon

    The retarded comment was suggesting my fears regarding the possible "dumbing down" of this game as has happened previously. Seeing as Autoheal function is more commonly found in more Arcade like shooters such as COD and Halo this is a reasonable inferrence. Unfortunately even with your alleged "intellect" you seem to have struggled to understand this. :O


    "Kinda whiney, but this paragraph is acceptable."

    Whiney lol? and this post of yours with your numerous "hyperbole" comments etc isn't whiney and unbelievably petty?? ahaha seems like it to me

    ""Just don't make it gay"

    If I have to explain to you what's wrong with that statement. It has no basis, it's offensive and makes you sound like a 10 year old spouting naughty words..."

    Ahahaha, I am guessing you don't have much of a social life, but then that is just a guess. This is an expression of passion, an outpouring of emotion regarding this game, myself pleading with the developers in my own special way. Perhaps you are a fairly rigid uncomfortable person but I am afraid I am not, my self importance is not and never will be governed by those who govern theirs by petty delusion. This is not a formal email I am sending to a work colleague. If it upsets you then just ignore it , there is a great quote from Nietzsche "Every word is prejudice". Clearly this goes over your head...

    "Again, pointless ridiculous hyperbole"

    Again a pointless comment, exagerration can be concise...when passion is involved...:O you come across as being really rather petty don't you think?

    "I think you made all of three points, but none of them are backed up other than to say, "I WANT THESE THINGS CAUSE I LIKE EM!""

    Ahahaha, well this is a fan forum is it not?? Am I not supposed to express what I like and what I dislike??? I explained that I didn't like the idea of Deus Ex being a "cover and fire" game, there is no other point to make, some people might like that type of game, I am expressing my opinion that I do not. I am telling the developers what I would or would not enjoy in the upcoming game. Wasn't that the point of this forum in the first place? Or for instance when I am expressing my displeasure at the autoheal function I infer my fear that they introduce features that dumb down the game and make it more generic. This is because I prefer the game to be more deep and involved which I state. So that is the opinion end of story. Again you don't really read or empathise you have just chosen to attempt to pick apart something in a rather pathetic and petty way

    "Doesn't require a thread to do that, and all three points have seperate threads allready"

    Yes I already apologised to the moderator for doing that, I should have split it up into the different topics, i appreciate the moderators exhaustion and can sympathise with him, but for you it is just petty and rather pathetic for you to post a message like this. You come across like a rather sad self important individual

    "That's why it got locked, deal with it"

    Try to keep up on current events, dealing with it wasn't really a problem, but responding to criticism is a fairly logical step for most people

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    PROTIP: When you see a hyperlink with "..." in the middle, don't expect copy'n'pasting it to work.
    It works fine to me. Don't know why it doesn't work for you. Carlo could read it fine.

    @ hippy fascist and iamrob7: Just leave it now please. This is not necessary. The thread was closed and that is final. Move on please.

  19. #144
    Sure I am sorry, I wasn't going to say anymore but I felt kind of incited to respond by HippyFs post, apologies to anyone on this thread.

  20. #145
    Originally Posted by DXeXodus
    It works fine to me. Don't know why it doesn't work for you. Carlo could read it fine.
    No, it doesn't work for you. Try actually clicking on it. That URL doesn't exist, so it takes you to the Voodoo Extreme home page. What you pasted is the visually abbreviated version of the URL that the forum software auto-generates to save screen space.

    This is the actual URL:
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42257/F-E-A-R-2-Regenerative-Health-System-Nerfed

    And this is what the forum displays it as when I turn it into a link:
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42...-System-Nerfed

    Copying the displayed URL in this case yields a broken link. You have to right-click the link and copy the link target.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    OK, well, all I wanted to show was that piece of the article anyway.

  22. #147
    having a quick auto-Regen on easy would satisfy the causal gamer. I just think it should be really slow on normal and off on hard/realist difficulties. If you want to cater to morons, make easy level normal and a very hard lol.. morons want to play on easy but not to seem "gay"(no offence intended) by choosing it.
    normal = easy
    hard = normal
    very hard = hard
    realistic = realistic(I can die from a head shot? yes).

    A model for heath Regen.

    1)passive Regen linked to difficulty - power consumption like flashlight.

    2)activated higher power consuming Regen. much more power used.

    3)med kits - the same as active Regen except you can't deploy in combat as they use your hands. Also have a set charge and saves power.

    I think if Regen is included it should take energy as in a starting Aug with passive/active modes.

    That brings up the question of food.
    Perhaps food ads to your bio-electric.. As in "candy bars grow fingers back"?WTF that's

    Perhaps bio-electric packs were standardised for dx1 as they used an optimized fuel consolidating power to energy suppliers. Perhaps that wasn't so with the mechs.

    Why would food give you bio electric?
    The science, looking at the direction of technology before nano goo.

    Although nanobots are a ways off there is the rapidly expanding field of "systems biology".. "Biology is making an historic transition from being a descriptive science to being an engineering science," says Regis Kelly, director of the Institute for Quantitative Biomedical Research (QB3). "This transition is putting us on the edge of one of the most exciting times in the history of biological science, which is why systems biology is such a hot field right now."

    Bio-electric microbial fuel cells, so you would eat to charge up. Now 80% efficient at power generation.
    non-bio-tech
    http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nnel=187703184
    Implantable, miniaturized microbial fuel cell
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7160637.html

    One can assume a genetically modified Implantable microbial fuel cell would be available by 2027. Perhaps even a modified gut considering all the Augs.

    well genetic manipulation of the human genome meets lots of resistance, yet what many don't know is that by count humans are 90% microbe.
    http://www.boston.com/news/science/a...robes_and_men/
    By modifying microbes humans can in turn be modified There are complex host microbe cellular communications. A language if you will and microbes speak human and modify our gene expression to speak to them.
    http://www.thinkgene.com/symbiotic-m...n-their-hosts/

    One direction is to understand and to harness this to improve human function.

    http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/art...microbes.shtml

    In a tiny squid, bacterial toxin governs organ development.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-iat110904.php

    So microbes can be involved in forming organs in animals. Such processes could be programed in to regulate additional human abilities. accelerated healing, growing new limbs. For the squid it's skin becomes a cloaking device.

    The Next Step in Bio-evolution: Engineering the Microbial World
    http://www.ai.mit.edu/lab/dangerous-...stin-bioev.pdf

    (The problem with nanotechnology, as Chris Voigt points out, is that the motors and gears that researchers currently etch from silicon don't really work very well yet. He suggests that we may already have those micromachines under our noses -- and in our noses.

    "Bacteria have already evolved machinery that works quite well," Voigt says. Once you understand how the pieces of that machinery fit together and work, you can mix and match pieces to create bacterial robots that can perform complex tasks.)

    early step(Salmonella Bacteria Turned Into Cancer Fighting Robots)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=851

    Just keep in mind that the continuity of the game is for a nanomaniacal age and people are often very Mysophobic(fear of germs).
    Does this video freak you out lol?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4CddJDU30
    look at the reaction to Bio-tech.. not like I trust corps to do it correct as profit comes before safety, although people also have a purely emotional reaction to genetic modification of anything.

  23. #148
    I forgot to mention the name "probiotic" as in helpful good bacteria. All I'm saying is that microbes could include the players entire genetic code and facilitate fast healing. That they would act like stem cells with the rapid growth of microbes. A bigger genome then normal human cells as they would have way better "wetware".

    What do you think? To bio for cyberpunk or does it go with the anything goes per dx1 mechanical augmentation days?

  24. #149
    That sounds good, Abram730. I especially like the passive slow regen, that uses power: This could lead to the fact, that when you don't use augs wisely, you run out of energy -> no more regen -> you have to find food, if you don't have any.

    And it is not too bio if you ask me, in a few decades we could have easily invented the way to use bacteria for our own good, and healing our wounds. They do a lot of good to us already: they live all around our body, and try to protect their habitat (us) from other bacteria. You also had a bunch of good links, I was really impressed by some of that stuff.

    I have always loved collecting food accros the levels in DX. But you are right: chocolate doenst grow fingers back. And even nowadays anything organic can be turned in to energy, so it is plausible. So food really should replenish Energy, not health.

    Another good thing is, that an unoptional power-consuming regeneration system could actually make the game harder. An augmented agent really should avoid running out of energy. The worst case scenario is the same, whether you have passive power-eating regenation or not: You are surrounded by enemies, with very low health and no means of healing yourself.

    Also, the health augs were always in the same slot with other, arguably better augs, so I found it irritating, that if I wanted to use those other augs, I could not use any regeration. Yes I know that is a part of DXs idea: You have to make choises. But some players dont need an active healing system. Maybe just those stealthy players who try to avoid open gunfights, and heavy damage. The regen aug in DX used massive amounts of energy, but I had no need for that fast regen: I could've spent time camping in the airducts and exploring them, slowly regenrating health. I had no rush to get into a new gunfight.

    Oh, and for those, who strongly oppose regeneration: if you play on computer, it will be optional: just go to .ini, and somwhere there will be a number like: regenrate=2. Just change the 2 to 0, and there will be no more regeneration. On consoles this isnt as easy....

    So, I personally welcome auto-regen in the form of a power-consuming, technically plausible, passive and slow way of regenerating health. Alternate ways of healing are a must.

  25. #150

    Post

    One idea I haven't seen posted is health regen to certain points. Remember the street fighter type beat-em-ups that had yellow health bars, and if you took a coupla belly hits, the yellow gauge would go down, but a red one directly beneath would only go down half as much, so that the yellow health would fill it back up again. That's complicated to say.

    Wait. OK. If I get shot, for 50 damage, let's say there's a regen system that allows me to regenerate 25 of those points, slowly. There could be Augs for faster health regen, or higher potential regen (i.e. reclaim 40hp from 50hp of damage).

    Anyone uderstand?

Page 6 of 21 First First ... 234567891016 ... Last