Page 4 of 4 First First 1234

Thread: January 16th Patch Notes (Build 76016)

January 16th Patch Notes (Build 76016)

Originally Posted by cmstache
    The scout damage reduction shouldn't be there for charged shots. Unaimed damage should be reduced.
    Well, my fully charged shots are reduced as well, I just tried. It happens on way longer distances that those sufficient to reduce the normal shots damage, but it certainly does. I have made a couple of screenshots to show/prove it.

So, OK, new bug found it seems. I repeat, I've been using the Swiftbow, and my ping was about 70-80 on EU servers (the right ones for me, living in Italy). My fully charged shots as a Scout get damage reduction on very long distances. If you Psyonix guys want me to send screenshots of it to the usual address I'll do of course.

I have yet to see a charged shot take less dmg than normal (stormbow is an exception for obvious reasons, it shouldn't change really though since it's dmg isn't from the arrow itself). In all fairness though, the swiftbow is what I hear most problems are with, which I don't currently have atm.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

Originally Posted by LOFO1993
    Well, my fully charged shots are reduced as well, I just tried. It happens on way longer distances that those sufficient to reduce the normal shots damage, but it certainly does. I have made a couple of screenshots to show/prove it.

So, OK, new bug found it seems. I repeat, I've been using the Swiftbow, and my ping was about 70-80 on EU servers (the right ones for me, living in Italy). My fully charged shots as a Scout get damage reduction on very long distances. If you Psyonix guys want me to send screenshots of it to the usual address I'll do of course.
    Not a bug, but the drop off will be reduced in a subsequent patch.

OK, thanks for the clarification Corey.

Post-Patch impressions

So I finally got some hard play-time in post patch. These are my impressions of the update.

Human Accuracy/fall-off
    Huge drop in damage as a result. It takes careful aiming to land a hit as hunter to land a hit with anything besides multi-bow. Currently I think the hunter feel bottle-necked, as I find the bolt thrower and repeater fall to the side. You can take the multi-bow, and get consistent damage at a range. 23*3 (the minimum damage I've done at range) damage per volley, while easily healed off, can be problematic for approaching vampires that don't seek cover. Or you can take the siege bow and wait for vampires to approach your team-mates, and deal significant damage per shot, but lose accuracy super fast at range.

I have nowhere near enough skill with scout to comment on accuracy reduction, but I'm finding the damage fall-off is appropriate, if slightly over zealous.

Something I have noticed is scouts are now universally using warbow, and I have spent a lot of gameplay as vampire getting bounced between warbow shots. There is also a huge rise of alchemist usage, which I think is good, as it was a rarely seen class pre-patch.

Aside: I noticed adjusting grapple in the works. Personally I laugh at a human that uses it as a vampire. If anyone remembers EvilTwin and Talespin, they ran grapple frequently, and that is when I had the easiest time picking them off. I always let out a sigh of relief when even when Jest ran grapple. It removes you from the team with only the benefit of wider viewing angles. With changes to humans, it's even harder to support a grappling scout.

Overall, I find humans now needing to rely on some of the less fun-to-play tactics of house camping and warbow juggling to pull ahead of a vampire team that can bare minimum attack all at once. Having played the extremes of humans being highly accurate to mediocre at range, I would like to see some middle ground. I also want to see an alternative to the bolas as a hunter primary skill, but that's in a different boat.

Vampire Buffs
    I am very satisfied by these from both human and vampire perspectives. The ability for the reaver to finally hunt down that eternally sprinting near-dead human is very satisfying, and feels appropriate, as opposed to a huge miss and now you've lost him as he speeds away. All-in all, vampires feel dangerous when coordinated against a human team. Also, by reducing the hunter count in some matches, this indirectly increases the utility of haste/enrage.
    The sentinel feels way less vulnerable which is a plus as one who runs sentinel for the most part.

Match length
    Its too short I feel. There is very little to add here. I would be interested in trying the middle ground.

Overall
    I like the direction of the changes to vampires, and the execution is excellent on your part. Humans have definitely ended up on the weak side, relying on the matchmaker as well as warbow juggling or camping in houses to pull ahead. Personally I never liked the removing of viable tools as an attempt to balance. I usually hope that the imbalance is resolved by adding new tools to the weaker team, over taking away from the strong team.
    In-game: Sirshua, being a sir everywhere.

Multibow has the highest dps, the "extra damage" on siege bow is an illusion from the damage numbers appearing being greater. It's flat out the best Hunter weapon.

Warbow is suckage also, the default bow is probably the best right now. Swiftbow is still a contender. Stormbow will be decent if it ever gets fixed, possibly the most destructive. I 100% agree with the grapple though, ppl don't seem to get how important keeping los on each other is.

Originally Posted by cmstache
    Hunters still punish sents in the air (just tried it vs jest) With a bolt thrower he did about 500 dmg in 1.5 seconds at a mid-range.
    I wouldn't call it an accurate test since you weren't flying fast or juking much. I distinctly remember you *running* away with a sliver of hp on Provance, and I wasted half my bolt-thrower clip (36 shots) trying to finish you while I had LOS. Then you were like "hunter accuracy seems fine", and I was like "you have no idea".

Have there been changes to lag compensation beside the melee fixes? Different server rates between euro and NA servers?

My experiences between playing euro and NA have been wildly different this patch, compared to previous versions where I couldn't notice a difference:

-I immediately noticed that people are rolling right through grabs on euro. Maybe 25% of my grabs are actually landing. That has never happened for me on NA, where grabs always land like they're supposed to, and can't be rolled through.

-Desyncs on euro. Invisible knife throws, bow shots with no startup animations.

-Flying, go over a human during a perfect grab setup, starting rising in the air. Half a second later the character positions roll back and I'm grounded.

Could we increase the time to at least 10mins and 30 kills? The matches are just over so quickly... :/

Originally Posted by jestdoit
    I wouldn't call it an accurate test since you weren't flying fast or juking much. I distinctly remember you *running* away with a sliver of hp on Provance, and I wasted half my bolt-thrower clip (36 shots) trying to finish you while I had LOS. Then you were like "hunter accuracy seems fine", and I was like "you have no idea".

Have there been changes to lag compensation beside the melee fixes? Different server rates between euro and NA servers?

My experiences between playing euro and NA have been wildly different this patch, compared to previous versions where I couldn't notice a difference:

-I immediately noticed that people are rolling right through grabs on euro. Maybe 25% of my grabs are actually landing. That has never happened for me on NA, where grabs always land like they're supposed to, and can't be rolled through.

-Flying, go over a human during a perfect grab setup, starting rising in the air. Half a second later the character positions roll back and I'm grounded.

I didn't mean "Seems fine" as in "all the shots hit", I meant "Seems fine" as "you did a decent damage at that range". You weren't point blank, shooting at a moving target in the sky, with an automatic weapon. If you used a multibow then you probably would have killed me.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

Originally Posted by jestdoit

Something else I noticed (EU sommerdamm only but consistently): using pounce I would rebound to the side as if I glanced off a wall, while pouncing through open air.
    In-game: Sirshua, being a sir everywhere.

Page 4 of 4 First First 1234