Thread: ATI Radeon HD4870 Problem, please help

ATI Radeon HD4870 Problem, please help

ATI Radeon HD4870 Problem, please help

Hey

I have a problem with the game(battlestations midway) i can start the game but after 2 sek ingame the games crashes and forces the PC into blue screen, this is the only game that does that... any body know why ? and how to fix it ?

my hardware and OS info:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz
    Mainboard: Abit IP35Pro
    Gfx: ATI Radeon HD4870
    Memory: 4x1GB Corssair Dominator PC2-8500
    Gfx Driver version: Catalyst 8.8 (i have allso tryed the brand new version 8.9)

SOMEBODY HELP ME....

The wierd thing is when the game detects my hardware it says under gfx card: GFX Card: Unknow.... :S

HELP!! PLEASE!

Gfx Driver version: Catalyst 8.8 (i have allso tryed the brand new version 8.9)
    u tryed it without ATI CCC too, as standalone driver?

:s

I havn't tryed it but i see that im not the only one who has that problem.... i think that ATI suck at making drivers

Radeon 4870 Issues

You are not alone in your problem. I purchased Battlestations Midway via Steam last night and ran into the same problem. The game will launch and I can navigate the menus, but within 2-3 seconds of launching actual game play, the screen goes black and then kicks me out to desktop with dual error messages. One advising BSM stopped responding and the other from Catalyst advising the display driver stopped responding and had to be restarted, specifically "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

In searching around the web, I found a thread on the AMD forums about the same problem. http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...threadid=98425 Seems there are a lot of 4870/4850 users having this problem.

I personally tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers (used driver cleaner), changing resolutions, changing graphics options, running in XP compatibility mode etc and nothing works. Believe it's a driver issue and is going to have to be addressed by AMD.

I recommend you go to the AMD driver feedback page and post your issue so they know it's not a limited problem and address it in the next driver package. http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/su...D=486&type=web

Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1
    MSI P6N Diamond 680i Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3ghz
    4gb Crucial Ballistix 1066mhz DDR2
    MSI OC Radeon 4870
    OCZ 700w Game X treme PSU

thx

Thanks to you SuperFuzz i have filled out the support sheet, and are awaiting the respons from the AMD/ATI supportteam hope that they can fix the problem

Still we are waiting
    anyone can fix this problem ?????

Catalyst 8.10 drivers were released today and AMD still did not address the BSM crash in these drivers. It's clear that that BSM doesn't have a large enough following for AMD to care to address the issue. This despite numerous people reporting the issue to AMD for over 2 months now. Time to sell my 4870 on Ebay and go back to Nvidia cards. They have always worked for me like they are supposed to and Nvidia actually addresses issues like this with their drivers.

Well I got tired of waiting on AMD to ever fix this issue (I'm seriously doubting they ever will at this point), and I bought a Zotac GeForce 260 (216 core) OC version. Just like that Battlestations Midway works perfectly. Proof positive that it's a conflict with the Radeon 4800 series cards, and not something else on my system.

Now it's time to list my Radeon on Ebay and finally get to playing Battlestations Midway! Lesson learned! Stick with Nvidia!

same problem

I got the game today, installed it and crashes immediately as soon as the first mission starts. Just as other people, all other games run fine. I think its too soon to blame ati for it, it may also be a serious bug in the game itself.

Even worse, it seems the ftp servers of eidos are currently down, can't download the patch.
    I will give it a another try tomorrow.

general system info:
    radeon 4870(1 gbyte version)(catalyst 8.11)
    amd x2@ 2,99Ghz
    8gbyte ram
    vista 64 bits
    All possible updates for all components are installed.

Since nobody bothers to read the Battlestations PC forum where normally a PC crash issue belongs to, here are the vital infos about this.

BS:M does not work on any ATI HD 38xx or 48xx videocards, neither on WinXP nor on Vista with Catalyst drivers NEWER! than 8.6.

So if you want to play just install Catalyst 8.6 (and suffer from the fact that many other games will underperform).

We have reported this issue to EIDOS and ATI/AMD. For 5 months none of them made any effort to officially admit and fix the issue. Isn't it a shame?

My last effort was to write a PM to mycoldman asking his help. His response two weeks ago was the usual EIDOS blabla: "looking into it".

I also failed to push ATI/AMD for a resolution. My story can be read in the PC section but the last entry is copied here - so your fingers won't suffer from an additional click to get there...

----
    I registered myself on the ATI/AMD Gamer forum where there is a topic on this subject. Some users are reporting this issue so the moderator came on board and said:

11/07/2008 07:56 AM spyre Moderator
    Its fixed in a future driver as I just tested it.
    -------------------------
    Game.AMD Administrator

So everyone got excited and wanted to know when the fix is going to be available. He said:

11/07/2008 05:00 PM spyre Moderator

Not really since I am under NDA.
    Game.AMD Administrator

If you watch the dates above you'll see that it was BEFORE the release of Catalyst 8.11.

Once 8.11 become available people reported back that BS:M still does not work and wondered what about the fix. He was insisting on the NDA thing and finally he said the only thing he could:

11/14/2008 12:08 PM spyre Moderator

I didnt say the next driver I said a future driver.
    Game.AMD Administrator

After all this I put up a rather tough post. It meant to hurt.
    Basically I said that from my point of view a driver fix isn't really subject to any NDA since it's a service for customers who already paid for the product that is malfunctioning. I went forward and said that since I have a brand new card this fix can be viewed as a warranty issue. Furthermore I accused AMD that since they KNOW about the problem and also it has been admitted by the moderator that there is a FIX available it is no longer an "innocent mistake". From this on it is AMD's conscious will to hold the fix back therefore rendering the products they sold unusable. I was speculating that on the lawyer's land (USA) where there is a lawsuit for anything and everything there could be one for this too.

I guess the fuses at AMD went off because:
    1. They deleted my post without any notification to me
    2. They locked the thread
    3. They locked me completely out of the forum. I can't go in (I guess it's an IP ban)

Obviously I was viewed as somebody who went too far
    From my point of view I just hit their nerves

To be honest I really wanted my post to hurt AMD, since it's almost the category of nonsense, that I have the 3rd best videocard on the market and yet can't play a 2 years old title unless I go back to a driver version that is 6 months old that makes all the other games I play unusable...

Guys who read this before buying videocard: think twice if you have your eyes on ATI/AMD cards. They may be better and faster than nVIDIA, but only if they work...

Rules of building a gaming PC - Don't use an ATI card and never use an ATI card with a Via chipset on your motherboard. And never never use an ATI card with a Via chipset and an AMD cpu.

Originally Posted by Tex Vindictive
    Rules of building a gaming PC - Don't use an ATI card and never use an ATI card with a Via chipset on your motherboard. And never never use an ATI card with a Via chipset and an AMD cpu.
    That's why I've stuck with Nvidia GPUs and Intel CPUs. Never had a problem.

As I said before I'm very disappointed with ATI on this matter.
    It is not only the product that is the problem but also the customer service they provide.

Last but not least I believe EIDOS is also responsible in some ways, since they did not do anything (and still not doing anything) to resolve the issue that limits the use of their product on certain hardware. I'm pretty sure it is a matter of a phone call from EIDOS to ATI to bring up the priority of the fix... ...for some reason this phone call never happened in the past 5 months...

...oh wait I know... ...EIDOS was busy with Tomb Raider and other titles... ...no multitasking...

Originally Posted by Tex Vindictive

Rules of building a gamming PC? By who.
    I've had just as many problems with Nvidia over the years as ATI, they are both slow at getting thier drivers right, when i had my 8800GTS company of heroes would always crash as the drivers for the card wouldn't work.
    Nvidia took ages to get decent drivers out for DX10, so crashing freezing and poor frame retes were 'normal' for new games for a long time.

Originally Posted by billyfromhill
    That's why I've stuck with Nvidia GPUs and Intel CPUs. Never had a problem.
    Thats your choice, stick with what you know, but problems are a given no matter what chipset or GPU you have in the world of PC gaming. If you've never had a problem with graghics drivers you've mearly been lucky, nothing else.

Problem seems to be got resolved with Catalyst 8.12.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...0&postcount=16

Originally Posted by It3llig3nc3
    Problem seems to be got resolved with Catalyst 8.12.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...0&postcount=16

Problem solved here too