Thread: Too Much Revamping?

Too Much Revamping?

It seems like since Legend Lara has been revamped for every game. Do you think this is necessary? Do we really need a "new" Lara all the time?

Why not pick one that works and run with that for a few games, with subtle changes? What do you guys think?

When I was interviewed for the Green Pixels article, they asked me a ton of questions related to this and I'd like to share them, with my answers, so we can discuss

1. When you think of Lara Croft, what comes to mind? When you think of Tomb Raider, what comes to mind? Are they different?

When I think of Lara Croft, I instantly think of an incredible character who can achieve anything. She's such an inspiration - she has goals and literally stops at nothing to ensure her success. She is smart, beautiful, adventurous, a risk-taker, and incredibly witty. I have been a gamer for awhile and have never experienced any other game with a character I've had such passion for. She is fearless and remarkable in so many ways.

When I think of Tomb Raider, I picture Lara and all of her adventures.
    Tomb Raider, for me, means escaping from my day-to-day life and being able to go on adventures around the globe. Tomb Raider has opened up so many doors - enabling me to learn about past civilizations and ancient locales. The game brings so many locations to light and reveals these beautiful locations from around the world.

My perception of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are relatively the same – they go hand in hand. Lara offers opportunity for players to go on exciting adventures while learning about different civilizations, locales, treasure, and legends. There really isn't anywhere Lara can't go – the games feature well-known, and hidden locations that really open up player's eyes to the endless possibilities for adventure.

2. Does Lara Croft need to change, or does Tomb Raider need to change?

Lara Croft is an amazing character that was created with exceptional
    talent. Her original history, created by Core Design was captivating, full of potential, and truly made who fans know Lara to be. I believe Crystal Dynamics taking over the series stunted who she is, and therefore, Tomb Raider, the (future) game, needs to change.

Fans of the original series (TR1-6) love these games for the dynamic and original storylines, but most importantly, the character. Lara is
    irreplaceable and I believe when Crystal Dynamics created a new history
    for her, the series lost a lot of fans. Why fix something that isn't
    broken? If Crystal can re-create the atmosphere, storylines, and be true to the Lara fans know, I'm sure the series will be strong for sometime.

3. Lara Croft used to be a highly sexualized video game character. Do you think that's still true (see: Tomb Raider Legend/Underworld)?

I believe Lara has been portrayed in various ways throughout the years.
    When the game was first developed and released it was uncommon to have a woman starring as the main character in a video game. At that time the video game industry was heavily male-oriented, and it probably made sense to advertise her in this fashion.

However, after the first couple of Tomb Raider games, fans were in love
    with the character - and I believe the sexual aspect of the advertising
    died down. Fans were in love with the games for their storylines, vast
    locations around the world, array of vehicles, and learning more and more about their favourite heroine from game-to-game.

I know when Crystal Dynamics assumed the role of game developers for Tomb Raider they wanted to tone down the sex appeal by covering her up a bit. I do feel they've backtracked with their latest instalment, Underworld, as skimpier outfits were present. I write fans from all around the world, and the general consensus I seemed to receive was that fans were disappointed with her new attire. They felt it was ridiculous to have her going on adventures in skimpy clothing, because, quite simply, it is totally unrealistic.

Fans are very protective of Lara and I believe while there will always be a sex appeal to Lara, Crystal Dynamics needs to tone it down and let fans be excited by who the character is and what she represents - not what she looks like in inappropriate outfits.

4. Would you play a Tomb Raider game that didn't star Lara Croft? Is she the most important part of the franchise?

This question kind of has two sides...would I play Tomb Raider if
    ORIGINALLY it didn't star Lara Croft? I'd say absolutely. When I found out about Tomb Raider I didn't know a thing about it - I was sorting through various games and came across it. What captured my interest was the story on the box - I've always been fascinated with Egypt and tombs and the title/storyline was what caught my interest. I have been playing games since I was very young and all of them featured male characters, so it wasn't that there was a female on the cover, but it was about what the game had to offer.

Now if you were to ask me if they wanted to change the character I'd say absolutely not. Lara IS Tomb Raider. In fact, she is so prominent in our minds that they cut off her head for the box art of the latest game. People know who she is, and there is a direct correlation between Tomb Raider and Lara.

I loved how Core Design incorporated a new playable character in the Angel of Darkness, and how it intertwined seamlessly with the storyline. Something like that, if it were done properly could be interesting again, but as long as Lara is the main star, I'm in.

5. Eidos is supposed to be rebooting Tomb Raider with the next
    installment. What's your advice?

I'm actually thrilled that Eidos and Crystal Dynamics are going to be
    doing a little revamping to the series. While the games they have produced have been good, they really do not have the same feel as the original series. A lot of fans have been giving their input, and if they listen, I believe they are more than capable of making a great game. If they can somehow recapture the essence of the originals, and be true to who the character is, they will not only see praise from the fans, but an INCREASE of the fan base as well.

My advice to Crystal would be to replay the Tomb Raider games - all of
    them. Then they need to ask themselves, what makes this game good? Why are fans so loyal to Lara? What is it about Lara that truly inspires people? What can we do with modern technology that couldn't be done before, but stays true to the series? If Crystal can answer these questions, they'll nail it.

6. How long have you been writing about Lara Croft?

I wrote my first story in 2000 when I was about 13 years old. I've penned a total of 12 stories to date, averaging one story a year. I won the worldwide fan fiction contest hosted by Core Design, was an invited author in the first edition of Tales of Lara Croft, and was interviewed for the Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary Retrospective Documentary which was released with Tomb Raider Anniversary.

I have had tons of fun with writing stories, and a lot of unexpected
    success. Employees at Core Design and fans from all around the world have read my stories. My goal has always been to write new adventures for Lara that holds true to the series, and the character. I receive excellent feedback on a continual basis from fans who believe I capture this perfectly, and that's the best reward I could receive. Writing Tomb Raider stories enables me to keep the character alive, and create new adventures for myself, and other fans to enjoy. I'm currently in the preliminary stages of my next story, and plan to write for many more years to come!

I wasn't too sure bout her looks in Underworld... and still not
    I found her more.. "beautiful" or "attractive" in Legend
    Ok yea.. it's a computergame I know.. but the 1st previews od underworld I was like "wth did they do.. she looks a little ugly".. and now that Ive played it.. she just comes off like she's sad whole the time
    As for outfits.. they're cool and nice.. but it's a bonus not a main gamespecific
    Alot of puzzles too now.. and the games seem to keep getting shorter.. what next? A 5 minute tomb raider?
    Easier to die too it seems..
    Sure they can change things.. but I'd say in a different way they were going if you ask me

I believe that Tomb Raider wouldn't be such a great game if the main character was a male. Lara Croft is the reason why we all fell in love with the series. That is why, the idea of implementing any changes to Lara Croft herself should be rethink couple of times. We already associate Lara Croft with certain features she possess. Since Lara's model is changed in every game, the features she possess (large breasts, dual pistols, braid/ponytail) became a definition of a charcter she represents.

In my opinion, Crystal Dynamics did a great job to make Lara a bit more emotional and still keeping her image of a strong, independent woman she has had since 1996. We finally understood what is she driven by while searching for acient artefacts, while in Core games she was just this archaeologist pursuing her goals. I was absolutely fine with this, but Crystal Dynamics showed that it is not the only way Lara can be pictured.

Changes are not that bad as far as they will follow certain patterns and keep certain elemnts of Lara Croft and her universe that should never be changed. I believe that Crystal Dynamics proved that Tomb Raider is not an old relict and Lara Croft can still be called the queen of video game industry.

I am kind of split about the revamping. It only really happened since AOD. I think the AOD revamp was fantastic just undermined by major control issues in the game. TRL and TRA again was a great revamp. Lots of costumes, a new style of gameplay which I really liked.

The TRU revamp wasn't really needed. I don't know what they were trying to achieve with it but it just didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    In my opinion, Crystal Dynamics did a great job to make Lara a bit more emotional and still keeping her image of a strong, independent woman she has had since 1996. We finally understood what is she driven by while searching for acient artefacts, while in Core games she was just this archaeologist pursuing her goals. I was absolutely fine with this, but Crystal Dynamics showed that it is not the only way Lara can be pictured.

Changes are not that bad as far as they will follow certain patterns and keep certain elemnts of Lara Croft and her universe that should never be changed. I believe that Crystal Dynamics proved that Tomb Raider is not an old relict and Lara Croft can still be called the queen of video game industry.
    I agree there are some elements of Lara that are so synomamous with her image that changing them would be a disaster. I don't think Lara is quite the queen of the game industry she once was but is still up there. I think CD making Lara emotional was annoying. I like Lara to be strong, edgy and witty with her conversations.

She is a bit too serious now and would like to see a return to the 'play for sport' Lara. The abscence of that line from TR1 in TRA replaced by Natla driveling on about Lara's father was quite sad to hear.

TRU wasn't great so a revamp has kind of been forced for the next TR. The way CD's Lara works as a pose to Core's means a more regulally revamping Lara works better. As long as the fundamentals stay I am okay either way with revamps or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintmelody View Post
    She is a bit too serious now and would like to see a return to the 'play for sport' Lara. The abscence of that line from TR1 in TRA replaced by Natla driveling on about Lara's father was quite sad to hear.
    Hmm...the absence of that line?
    A refrigerator- when you open the door, the light goes on, but when you close the door, the light goes off... or does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintmelody View Post
    She is a bit too serious now and would like to see a return to the 'play for sport' Lara.
    I agree, it would be nice to see that return to the games.

Since Ive been onto the "weapons" or the Soul Reaver similarity.. perhaps there's also a similarity in the character concept.. maybe they picked up the depth of Kain/Raziel and "projected" that onto Lara.. hell I don't know

I love your answers Katie, I couldn't agree more!

Although my initial reaction was: "Not another reboot!?" , I feel now that the series we love so much needs it. I want TR to get back on top of the gaming industry, and it's far from it now.
    This 'Origins' concept will most likely appeal to more gamers, attract new gamers to the franchise. Staying on the TRU track would be TR's downfall, critics are already complaining that the games are so much alike and there is nothing new to them. There was, actually, something new to TRU. It was different from the previous games and a lot of fun. I still believe it is underrated, especially when you compare it with all the praise TR-copycat 'Uncharted' is getting.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Raid View Post
    I love your answers Katie, I couldn't agree more!

Although my initial reaction was: "Not another reboot!?" , I feel now that the series we love so much needs it. I want TR to get back on top of the gaming industry, and it's far from it now.
    This 'Origins' concept will most likely appeal to more gamers, attract new gamers to the franchise. Staying on the TRU track would be TR's downfall, critics are already complaining that the games are so much alike and there is nothing new to them. There was, actually, something new to TRU. It was different from the previous games and a lot of fun. I still believe it is underrated, especially when you compare it with all the praise TR-copycat 'Uncharted' is getting.
    Thanks Yeah I agree with everything you said. I can't comment too much on TRU because I'm only a few levels in but I can see a huge improvement from Legend so that's a good thing. I think they're really close...I'm sure they can nail it