Thread: "THE HIVE" - Introduce Yourself & Random CHAT Thread

"THE HIVE" - Introduce Yourself & Random CHAT Thread

Because of the nature of the internet, I am not willing to provide my name and location. But I would like to provide something.

I may be the only one here who has not played a large number of different games. Before Deus Ex, I had played some early games such a DOOM, but more as a curiosity, than anything else.

I installed Deus Ex 1, which came free with my graphics card, because I could not figure out what it was about from the text and pictures on the sheet that came with it. That got my curiosity up. I was just trying to make sense of it all. And when I started to play it, I was impressed by the balance between the muisc and everything else, like some real artistry had gone into it.

I played it over a long time, a little at a time. I was amazed when the credits rolled by that the game even had an end, and concluded: "That was a movie!"

I also played Deus Ex IW with a very high level of commitment.

But I have just not been interested in any other games, inspit of the fact that I am friends with people who true experts, and play many different games.

So you can be sure that I would not be in any other game-related forum. That is simply the truth.

Originally Posted by pHdeus
    But I have just not been interested in any other games
    Once you played DX, playing other games just isn't the same. It's why this game has some really dedicated modders that tries to keep the game alive almost a decade after it's release.

To this day, I haven't found a game that played like DX. At the state of game development now, probably never.

Hey all, I'm Clucky. Pleasure to meet you all.

I've been lurking on these forums since the beginning and began to think that I should make an account for myself, especially by now. And so here I am. If it is anything to you I'm in South-East England, but may emigrate to Canada soon. But that's unlikely, because my wallet has more flies in it, than anything else.

I am incredibly excited about DX3, having played the original all the way back when. It was a truly innovative game, and I must admit disappointment with IW. It was a good game in itself, but considerably pales to its predecessor, and I think that this is a clean slate for Eidos, a chance to return the universe to its appropriate state. I wish them good luck, and hope that they can, once again, set an example to the many budding game developers out there, and pull the industry out of the hole it has dug itself into. !

Oh, and thank you for having me!

Hello, I'm Piotr (peter) from Oakville, Ontario. I'm going into 4th year at the University of Toronto studying Materials science and engineering, and after that hopefully graduate school (within the realm of nanotechnology).

I'm into learning about a lot of random interesting subjects, ranging from sci-fi to the supernatural, to psychic and metaphysical possibilities. Deus ex was an important game for me, just because it built up my imagination at what could be possible with nanotechnology, so it helped push me into that field where I could hopefully do amazing things similar to what I saw in the game.

I'm also learning about enlightenment, the higher self, and awareness. So if anyone's into that and would like to share some resources with me, please do! Looking forward to DX3

My name is Steven. I live in a nice quiet community in Noblesville, Indiana (USA) and consider myself a gamer (though not hardcore...yet). Deus Ex remains my favorite game of all time and I consider it the greatest game of all time. I must have played it around two dozen times in the past 7 years and each playthrough is just as fresh and enjoyable as the last (yes, I'm obsessed).

I do have interests in other things, however, such as computer hardware (I'm quite the nerd, though I don't look like much of one) and the paranormal (ghosts only, and I'm a skeptic, not a firm believer who preaches their existence to everyone).

I hope to get a great job working with computers and go "ghost hunting" as a hobby, most likely in an existing team, and still save some free time to (hopefully) play DX3 sparingly over the next half a dozen years or so (assuming it's of DX1 quality, but I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible).

That's me in a nutshell.

Have any of these 'ghost hunter' teams ever actually found any evidence yet? There are plenty enough TV shows along those lines - you'd think skeptics would have been given a run for their money by now if there was anything to it. Personally I have quite an open view to the supernatural, but I maintain skepticism in the face of no evidence.

Originally Posted by Tsumaru
    Have any of these 'ghost hunter' teams ever actually found any evidence yet? There are plenty enough TV shows along those lines - you'd think skeptics would have been given a run for their money by now if there was anything to it. Personally I have quite an open view to the supernatural, but I maintain skepticism in the face of no evidence.
    There's a difference between skeptism and debunking. True skeptics will "believe it when they see it". It's the debunkers that are doing the anti-whatever with the supernatural and non-mainstream ideas. Their agenda is as evil as those selling snake oil as cures, as they lost the ability to be objective.

I personally don't believe any ghost hunting team in existence will ever have good enough evidence to prove to the skeptics that ghosts exists. The thing is, I have to agree with the skeptics' points as to why this is: they simply could be hoaxed, a trick of the light, a reflection somewhere, matrixing, you name it. If I see a piece of evidence, I'll take it for what it is and be excited, especially if my own team got it, but I doubt I will ever be able to say it is proof.

I believe in debunking as well, but I keep an objective mindset as always with such things. I basically have the mindset of the founders of the TAPS team (Jason and Grant): You go into a supposedly haunted location, listen to the witness accounts, then try to find ways to disprove what they had seen/heard/felt. If you find something that just can't be explained scientifically, you're left with the possibility of something paranormal. Is that still proof enough? Hell no.

I'm going into ghost hunting because I just want to have some fun. I love the thrill of being scared by the unknown and it would be incredible to be on a team dedicated to investigating well-known haunted locations. I'm not expecting to find evidence to shove into skeptics' faces. I honestly couldn't possibly care less.

It's great to see such a diverse number of people here! We've got just about every continent in the world spoken for...except maybe Antarctica.

Originally Posted by René
    It's great to see such a diverse number of people here! We've got just about every continent in the world spoken for...except maybe Antarctica.
    I am currently resisting the urge to post a very bad IW joke here...

Originally Posted by SubTonic20
    I personally don't believe any ghost hunting team in existence will ever have good enough evidence to prove to the skeptics that ghosts exists.
    Debunkers, not skeptics.

Debunkers are the Amazing Randi et al types who angrily go on a crusade to "rid the world of pseudoscience". They absolutely refuse any evidence that will question their own bias (which in itself is anti-science, no self-checking allowed, which is required in the scientific method). So even if 2000 peer reviewed journals with excellent and sourcing and controls agree that XYZ is true, they'll still claim it's "pseudoscience". They prefer to "move guideposts" on definitions and requirements of fact checking.

Skeptics will doubt until evidence comes in, and if the evidence is sound could adapt to accept it as true. The important thing here is they "will believe it when they see it" not just claim so. Provide them those 2000 journal articles, and they'll accept it as a "burden of proof". More and more folks are calling it "healthy skepticism", to counter the debunking label.

Problem is the former has hijacked the term so much, that now anyone who is a skeptic is regarded like them -- angry and closed minded. And it appears by your statement the damage has been done.

Since you're interested in the subject, here's an excellent read for you (especially if you still want to stick within the framework of science)...

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/

What's important for you is to ignore the critics/skeptics/debunkers and hollers, and just persue whatever interest your prefer. If everyone believed them, we'd still be riding horses today and living a 19th century dream.

Originally Posted by Scadvid
    Debunkers, not skeptics.

Debunkers are the Amazing Randi et al types who angrily go on a crusade to "rid the world of pseudoscience". They absolutely refuse any evidence that will question their own bias (which in itself is anti-science, no self-checking allowed, which is required in the scientific method). So even if 2000 peer reviewed journals with excellent and sourcing and controls agree that XYZ is true, they'll still claim it's "pseudoscience". They prefer to "move guideposts" on definitions and requirements of fact checking.

Skeptics will doubt until evidence comes in, and if the evidence is sound could adapt to accept it as true. The important thing here is they "will believe it when they see it" not just claim so. Provide them those 2000 journal articles, and they'll accept it as a "burden of proof". More and more folks are calling it "healthy skepticism", to counter the debunking label.

Problem is the former has hijacked the term so much, that now anyone who is a skeptic is regarded like them -- angry and closed minded. And it appears by your statement the damage has been done.

Since you're interested in the subject, here's an excellent read for you (especially if you still want to stick within the framework of science)...

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/

What's important for you is to ignore the critics/skeptics/debunkers and hollers, and just persue whatever interest your prefer. If everyone believed them, we'd still be riding horses today and living a 19th century dream.
    I know the part about 2000 journals is hyperbole, but can you point to an actual case where debunkers have essentially refused to believe incontrovertible evidence as I believe you describe it here?

Originally Posted by jcp28
    I know the part about 2000 journals is hyperbole, but can you point to an actual case where debunkers have essentially refused to believe incontrovertible evidence as I believe you describe it here?
    The link above will take you to some examples. Sitting here following some as it is. Some of the links are dead, but some like this are a good read...

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/propaganda/

Follow the links below the page, especially the "A Who's Who of Media Critics".

The beauty of it all is I can follow such links. If these debunkers had their way it would've been censored. Want to read the pro and con, and make up my own mind, not be spoonfed what XYZ thinks is the "truth".

ADDED: If you tire of chasing all the links, here's a front door...

http://archivefreedom.org/

Also read up on what's going on at arXiv.org about gatekeeping, for example...

http://archivefreedom.org/freedom/letters.html

What is very disturbing about this illicit censorship is that it seems to originate from complaints mailed to the archives (to Paul Ginsparg) from unknown sources about some particular individual resulting in the black-listing of that particular scientist and/or related work. Even more disturbing is that the scientist is found guilty without ever knowing WHO the accuser was, nor WHAT is the thing he is being accused of, and without any chances of defending himself/herself. Once your name is in the blacklist, all FUTURE papers, without any peer-reviewed study, irrespective of form and content, correctness....are systematically removed. Due to this horrendous Scientific-Gulag practices, there are suggestions being proposed for an UNESCO take-over of the Los Alamos-Cornell archives. I hope this happens.
    The trend with debunkers is to demand so many "peer reviewed" journals as "proof". But when the gatekeepers keep research they disagree upon out of archives...ah...see the problem? The debunkers ask for what they know can't be produced, not because it doesn't exist, but because the warehouses won't allow it on their shelves.

DX like, huh?

That's not science, that's politics.

Originally Posted by René
    Well, I'm Jay and I'm actually coming to you from the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, where we are all great fans of D--

Oh, wait, I looked out the window and I actually think I'm in Santa Cruz, California. Sorry.

It's nice to meet so many passionate DX fans!

I'm Jimmy Rabbitte, named for the character from the Irish film "The Commitments". I live in Seattle, enjoy playing vidya games and reading about math, science, and technology. I am a college student and aspiring Physicist.

I am a diehard PC gamer, the day after I got my very first PC in 99 I went out and bought Half-Life. (I was enthralled the moment I watched a friend of mine playing the game at his house). I hope I don't disappoint you all when I say that Deus Ex isn't my favourite game, HL takes that position with DX a close second. It was Half-Life that actually engendered my interest in Physics.

Second game I ever got was Warcraft, and though I'm not a big fantasy fan it was my first strategy video game. DX was the third game I got, I bought it the week it came out. I won't lie, I didn't really understand the philosophical mumbo-jumbo at the time but after I read about it on some forum when I was 15 I went back and replayed it, this time scrutinizing everything. It wowed me ten times more.

I'm sure the mainstream would probably look at transhumanist philosophy as whimsical but I think a better response than "It's impossible" is "What if? and why not?"

Originally Posted by Jimmy Rabbitte
    named for the character from the Irish film "The Commitments".
    Andrea Corr's first acting role!

Hello all :P

Hi there, new to the board, just thought I'd introduce myself . I'm in England (but originally from west Wales) and only started playing Deus Ex a year before the second one came out, so it seems like an agonising eternity how long this one is taking, rofl.

I don't buy many games, takes alot for me to get into one, so it was surprising that when I started playing Deus Ex I found I couldn't put it down .It was completely engrossing, I didn't stop till I played out every scenario and read everything/talked to everyone in the game, heheh.

Anyway, that's enough about me, was just wondering if anyone knew when they were planning to update the main DX3 site, desperate for more official info on it, lol . Thanks for taking the time to read my boring post. Bb.

Hello welcome here

Hey, thought I'd introduce myself. I kind of did things backwards by posting first, but oh well.

My name's JF, I'm 25 from Quebec (woo!) and I'm a 3d modeler working on PS3 and 360 titles, racing games to be precise. Been a huge DX fan since it came out, like all of you I can't keep track of the amount of times I finished it! And like you all I was mostly disappointed by DXIW but I'm very excited for the third instalment. I have faith in the boys down in Montreal and I'm sure they'll do a great job.

So that's that. I'm hoping Eidos will organize a visit for their fans in the near future, who knows maybe I could get a sneak peek

Edit: My nickname will be familiar to Final Fantasy fans, I've used the name Cactuar on several forums so a Cactuar of the augmented variety seemed to fit the bill for this forum

Originally Posted by Michael1985
    Hi there, new to the board, just thought I'd introduce myself . I'm in England (but originally from west Wales) and only started playing Deus Ex a year before the second one came out, so it seems like an agonising eternity how long this one is taking, rofl.

I don't buy many games, takes alot for me to get into one, so it was surprising that when I started playing Deus Ex I found I couldn't put it down .It was completely engrossing, I didn't stop till I played out every scenario and read everything/talked to everyone in the game, heheh.

Anyway, that's enough about me, was just wondering if anyone knew when they were planning to update the main DX3 site, desperate for more official info on it, lol . Thanks for taking the time to read my boring post. Bb.
    Welcome to the boards.

We have an introduction thread here:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77919

*Maybe Romeo can edit the thread title to include "Introduce Yourself"? The present "Who Are You?" may not sound so inviting to a new member, hehe. *

Small world! Which part of West Wales are you from? I'm guessing you are referring to either Pembrokeshire or Carmarthenshire?

EDIT
    Thank you for moving post and amending thread title.

Hey guys,

I'm Shaun from Dartford, England (right next to London). I've loved gaming since I was 5, first started playing classics on the Megadrive like Sonic1&2 and if anyone remembers, Pete Sampras tennis (greatest ever tennis game!!).

I love football, playing it and watching as well films and to a lesser extent books. My fav films are Requiem for a Dream, π (pi), Shawshank Redemption, Pans Labyrinth and Grave of the fireflies.

Anyway loved Deus Ex, my #1 game ever and hope you guys in Montreal can do your best and deliver a great game.

I'm Will, from MTL (Laval to be precise), I love games and Beer.

Yup, pretty much women, games, beer, metal, hockey, golf... and stuff I may have forgotten

I've been known as Rob/Robert/Bob/Bobby/Bobo(!?), I'm from Cardiff, Wales and I'm currently studying Creative Computer Game Design at Swansea Metropolitan University (Was named Swansea Institute of Higher Education, I still prefer that name personally, you don't have to be institutionalised to work in the games industry, but I suspect it helps), in fact I'm typing this from a hotel room at Brighton where I'm currently attending this years Develop conference (And wishing I'd chosen a hotel slightly further from the main streets, its a bit loud out there tonight).

I'm particularly interested in the depth of gameplay that arises from co-operative and larger scale versus warfare (That means, far more players on the battlefield than 32 vs 32) and a strong belief in giving the player as much choice as possible.
    For instance, take the Master of Orion games, the original was fast, slightly simple but most of all fun, the sequels had greater complexity and multiplayer but started to get bogged down by the complexities - But why are we insisting that the players have a deep or simplified game in each release, why not have a sort of sectioned pie chart during universe creation where the major elements are divided down (EG ship building, ship combat, planet management, etc) and allows the player(s) a choice between a deeper complex game or a fast paced fun game, providing complexity scales needn't cause significant duplicated work either, if done right. And it naturally complements a modular game design, because at each complexity scale you essentially plug/unplug a different module.

Oh, and whilst I'm here, I noted from one of the sessions today that apparently we put too many light sources into games - Why put a light in every alcove of a porch when a single appropriately bounced sky light can do the job for you whilst also making it faster and easier to make changes to the fewer lights and possibly even make the environment feel more real in the process.

Originally Posted by MissDenton
    Welcome to the boards.

We have an introduction thread here:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77919

*Maybe Romeo can edit the thread title to include "Introduce Yourself"? The present "Who Are You?" may not sound so inviting to a new member, hehe. *

Small world! Which part of West Wales are you from? I'm guessing you are referring to either Pembrokeshire or Carmarthenshire?

EDIT
    Thank you for moving post and amending thread title.

Oops, sorry, lol. I guess I didn't see the introduction thread before I posted, thank you to whomever moved it . Hi there Miss Denton (love the name-wish mine had been more imaginative now, lol), good to hear from another welsh player, . I'm actually from a little further north than Pembrokeshire or Carmarthenshire, was born in Aberystwyth, Ceredigion. Where are you?

Originally Posted by Cr4sh
    *lol*

Name's Josua or just Josh, 20, living in Germany, near Dresden (East Germany :P ).
    Hallo Josh
    Wusst ich doch, dass ich nicht der einzige Deutsche hier bleibe. Gruß an die Elbe ;-)

Page 4 of 347 First First 123456781454104 ... Last