Thread: "THE HIVE" - Introduce Yourself & Random CHAT Thread

"THE HIVE" - Introduce Yourself & Random CHAT Thread

So, the new xBox

~ Requires you to install games

~ Allows you to browse the internet

~ Has Skype compatibility

~ Allows you to watch TV quickly

Multitasking is great right?

Wait... with all those features... is it...

slowly becoming a computer? >_>
    Visits the forum once every six months.

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Discussing the new Box in the gaming thread feels oddly off-topic.

Why is it that every electronic object feels compelled to accomplish all the tasks of every other electronic object? I must've missed the presentation where Whirlpool announced an oven that could freeze your food, wash your dishes and dry clean your clothes. How grand it would feel to have five different appliances which all did the tasks of every other appliance. I could use a different one every day and feel the perfect sense of completion in my wonderful life!
    It does feel odd to talk about it there.

Not sure I agree with your consternation over device capability overlap in general, but there is a question of "Why is this actually useful in this context" that doesn't always seem to get asked for some things, consoles included.

Uh oh. I wonder if there's a similar app which would change my lovely view of Oxford forever.
    It probably exists. Be thankful for discretion.

______

I've been marathoning LOST. Currently on Season 5, and I think it's the best of the seasons. For those who know: Dammit, Kate.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Wellllll, I must have five different types of entertainment devices in the living room with the capabilities of being the one entertainment center to rule them all, on top of a phone, a tablet and a laptop who can all do most of this with some tweaking, and a pc who has already been doing it all since 2000 rolled around. Oh, and a so-called intelligent tv programmed on basic linux which offers most of that stuff right off the box, without the need for any external device.

Sooooooooo....why do I need this Box, again? In fact, why do I need a quarter of that stuff, when they all "do it all"? It's pitifully obvious they've put all these features in to disguise their home site, which will be a center of influence for what's hot, and who will bring in guaranteed revenues through partnerships.

Edit: Also, have you noticed how he pulls out his phone to control the navigation when it becomes too complex for simple gestures? One box necessary, my foot! The primary problem of TV web navigation remains entirely unsolved.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by AlexOfSpades
    So, the new xBox

~ Requires you to install games

~ Allows you to browse the internet

~ Has Skype compatibility

~ Allows you to watch TV quickly

Multitasking is great right?

Wait... with all those features... is it...

slowly becoming a computer? >_>
    PC's are to "elitist" so Microsoft has to repackage it into one big black box and pretend once every 5 or so years that all these so called features are new and exciting instead of being as old as dirt in the PC world.

Now all Microsoft has to do is find a way to sell Windows OS to console gamers...
    signature image

Xbox One is pretty much running Windows. It does have windows after all. Finally.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

The thing is so big, it has windows and a house number.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    Xbox One is pretty much running Windows. It does have windows after all. Finally.
    But I think Microsoft would love nothing more than to sell windows OS updates to console gamers. $150 for Windows 10 just to play the next COD game?...double the market double the money.

It may not be on the table yet, but I see something like this further down the road for Microsoft, either late in the coming generation or early in the next.
    signature image

I wonder if the Kinect has improved for gaming. When I first saw people using it at PAX '10 people looked like they were going to snap their spines while playing a dance game.

If you need to move like that in order to have the camera register what's going on, then you need to keep working on it.

I had an Xbox but not a 360. The Xbox One looks even more like a dumbed down PC with a camera, which is not all that appealing when you have two serious gaming PC's in the house already.

I'm not one to share funny photos and other such stuff, and I have no idea if this is old or not, but I thought the idea of revisiting childhood photos to be hilarious and often wildly inappropriate:

http://imjussayin.co/childhood-photos-recreated-3727/

I suddenly feel the urge to have my go at this
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    I'm not one to share funny photos and other such stuff, and I have no idea if this is old or not, but I thought the idea of revisiting childhood photos to be hilarious and often wildly inappropriate:

http://imjussayin.co/childhood-photos-recreated-3727/

I suddenly feel the urge to have my go at this
    Quality.
    Play games for the story

LOL. Some of those are just wrong. Particularly the nappied adult male lying across his mothers(?) legs.

Yeah, I agree.

Childhood memories. I like the TV shows. The Banana Splits, The Double Deckers, Wacky Races, Noggin The Nog and such like. And is there anyone else of my generation who remembers that series about Robinson Crusoe. I think it was dubbed. I fell in love with the soundtrack for some reason and still hum that tune today. Weird, lol.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Yeah, I agree.

Childhood memories. I like the TV shows. The Banana Splits, The Double Deckers, Wacky Races, Noggin The Nog and such like. And is there anyone else of my generation who remembers that series about Robinson Crusoe. I think it was dubbed. I fell in love with the soundtrack for some reason and still hum that tune today. Weird, lol.
    Nostalgia is a monster. I love the 80's boom in the visual arts/film/music of today, but it's reaching the saturation point rapidly.

And the revival of 90's fashion? God help us all. The world is not ready for the return of the pastel sweaters, high cut jeans and bare midriffs. :S
    Ilves @ Blogger
    Partial Volume @ Tumblr

Originally Posted by Ilves
    Nostalgia is a monster. I love the 80's boom in the visual arts/film/music of today, but it's reaching the saturation point rapidly.
    There's a too much for everything. But with some things saturation lasts longer then with others. Done right, the 80ies arts and music will never fall out of love for too long - at least not for me.

I like how suits and ties and beautiful dresses never go out of fashion. Little things change in them as reckoned fine for the decade, but the overall silhouette remains constant.
    signature image

That's not true. When was the last time you saw a guy wearing a coat with tails, or a woman wearing a hoop skirt?

Ahahahahahahaha priceless

Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Why don't we wear more nice hats these days? There's something rather alluring about a man in a hat (not a beanie hat) but alas, few people seem to bother.

That's not true. When was the last time you saw a guy wearing a coat with tails, or a woman wearing a hoop skirt?

Ahahahahahahaha priceless

A good demonstration of the ravages of time, I think. :P

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    nice hats
    Not enough long coats, either.

We have a similar series run in a big publication newspaper, but those tend to be sentimental and desperately artsy. These in Frank's links are just too delicious.

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    Little things change in them as reckoned fine for the decade, but the overall silhouette remains constant.
    This is true for men's formal attire since about the late 1800s. Before that, or regarding women's fashion in general, not so much.
    Ilves @ Blogger
    Partial Volume @ Tumblr

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    Why don't we wear more nice hats these days?
    'cause guys with long hair almost always look like tools when they wear hats.

Unless it's like... a pirate hat. Or something.

I wear a hat sometimes, especially when it looks like rain - a Stetson Radcliff made of leather. It's virtually indestructible.

Cool hats got a bad rep nowadays, with neckbeards trying to rock the fedora with shorts and a trenchcoat or something. Most of the time it looks bad. And the other, Matt Bomer

Wear a fedora or one of those nice stetsons with a jacket and shirt and you're laughing.

Originally Posted by Ilves
    Not enough long coats, either. .
    Yes! You're right. I've had "oh look, it's the gestapo" from certain silly friends of mine, but longish coats consistently look good I think.

Shralla is right about having the right sort of hair for it though. The opposite problem men might have it seems- my hair is way too short for hats that look good at the moment, but I'm growing it out so I'll be investing in one or two nice hats soon enough. Pity that stetsons and the like aren't very feminine because they are COOL.

Who needs femininity? Androgyny is so hot right now.

And is there anyone else of my generation who remembers that series about Robinson Crusoe. I think it was dubbed.
    Are you talking about the cartoon, or the live-action series? The story behind the cartoon is a tragedy. It was a worldwide success, and the creator is a French Canadian, who was robbed of his concept. He's been in legal battles for about fifteen years now. He's won his case, as well as a few million dollars, but he has yet to receive a cent of it and lives in relative poverty. One of the two corporate thieves who has robbed him has since died during a cosmetic surgery, and the other bastard is drowning the author in an infinite amount of legal procedures to avoid paying the multi-million fine. Private citizens constantly fork money to pay for the author's legal fees, but the guy is getting old, and will likely never see the fruit of his creation.

If you were talking about the live-action, apologies for this depressing story!

I own a few hats, but have only recently started to wear them. It seems to me a guy anywhere before 25-30 either looks like a wanabe-rockstar, or an idiot, which pretty much amounts to the same. At 28, I feel it has suddenly started to look decent on me.

The winter is a fantastic excuse to wear a nice long coat. Well-cut trenches (not the baggy, serial-killer types) also seem to be making a return, much to my joy.

so hot right now.

Page 270 of 347 First First ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280320 ... Last