Thread: Thus far in my Anniversary experience

Thus far in my Anniversary experience

I just got to T-Rex in Anniversary, and I decided that I need to find a better gun to kill the monster funkster. So I'll have to go back a few checkpoints and find the gun, or look for a cheat because I get bored with this aspect of the game very quickly.

I have to say the graphics are really nice, but sadly the game is missing the wonderful atmospheric music that the original had.

On top of that, yeah I know it's a cliche but it's a true one, the controls are pants.

You know I think the reason that they don't reintroduce the old controls where forward was Lara forward and not simply forward. Why people like this system I donot know. I think the reason is because it then introduces a great deal more programming time sorting out the automatic camera angles, you know in the old days the camera would pan around to best angle and then people starting winging about it, and now the whole gameplay sucks as a consequence...

The best gun you can get is shotgun, but it sucks with T-Rex, he's quite far from you, you need longer range pistols IMHO!

CrystalD invented they're own camera system which is good in some aspects, and especially better than CoreD's if you play CoreD's now after using CrystalD's. Though CystalD's has many flaws, especially in the latter levels like Greece and Egypt especially.

The controls are new, and better and come with the angle of the camera, where ever the camera faces is front...kind of weird sometimes, also in Legend it was worse..

At the end of the day, CrystalD did a good job, but there's still room for improvement.
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...rugrlnsig3.jpg
    ^Click to visit the home of the Tomb Raider: Fan Magazine
    Exclusively from RUGRLN

It really doesn't matter if you fight the T-rex with pistols or even the uzis (on the replay)... the fight is not about firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGRLN View Post
    The controls are new, and better and come with the angle of the camera, where ever the camera faces is front...kind of weird sometimes, also in Legend it was worse...
    You see everyone is complaining about the camera angles, but they never bothered me. After exploring the levels in the early tomb raiders so many times eventually I would know which way Lara was facing and which way to move her. Forward was forward in those days. NOw you can see where you have to go just can't flaming well make her run that way. They have completely balls it up and no amount of new fan boys (or girls) screaming at me that the new controls are better is going to change my mind.

So far as killing the dinosaur is concerned, anyone know any cheats? I really don't care for the fighting aspect of the game.

Cool ... kettle corn

Quote Originally Posted by Jezyk View Post
    ... the fight is not about firepower ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pot View Post
    ... So far as killing the dinosaur is concerned, anyone know any cheats? ...

on the other hand, if you think of the T-Rex battle as a (physical) puzzle then you might enjoy the moment more. this video shows how it possible to use the camera and controls to your advantage. it is definitely worth it to learn how to maneuver the camera/controls like this.

eventually, you'll have to master the adrenaline dodge to kill the later bosses, so its best if you learn how to do that now ...

BTW, please note: no screaming and i've stated no opinion about the controls. just the facts, in terms of using the controls to your advantage. you don't have to like the controls to use them to your advantage ...
    Raid On!

Well I just killed the big monster T-Rex. But I did not enjoy the experience at all. Everytime I found myself running away from it, I'd try to turn round and shoot at it, then because I was out of range Lara would then turn away from the camera again. It takes way too long to reposition her to face the other way with the camera behind her, leading me to conclude yet again that the controls are completely rubbish. And this adrenalin dodge thing? Well, it's alright I suppose, actually I would quite like this feature if the damn thing would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by pot View Post
    And this adrenalin dodge thing? Well, it's alright I suppose, actually I would quite like this feature if the damn thing would work better.
    (Don't quite get what you were getting at for the first bit... probably just something weird/horrible the camera does...)

I like the idea... but you'll find it's necessary to beat the bosses. It's completely unavoidable... which isn't so great. Apart from that... I suppose the ability to kill the enemy in one shot, during 'bullet-time' is quite cool... "if it would work better", well, 1 on 1 I don't have difficulty with it... but when the other lion/dino comes and attacks lara before 'the moment' then Lara just gets hurt more... I don't like that... I think it would be nice to have the ability to shoot the animal heaps rather than try for one-shot-kill, like in TRL 'bullet time'.

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    (Don't quite get what you were getting at for the first bit... probably just something weird/horrible the camera does...)
    When you are running away from the monster and the camera, and you turn round and Lara is facing the camera. But you don't have time to press the triangle button twice to realign the camera behind her, and you just start shooting because you don't know how far behind you T-Rex is. And of course he is out of range so Lara automatically turns away from the camera again and starts shooting when you press x. Then when you try to turn her round again it is too late and you get squished.

I agree the targeting is very annoying. I've said a lot that Lara simply must turn and point her pistols at the nearest enemy. It's just horribly frustrating only to have her point them at the wall, the rock, the tree while there's a 65 ton Rex bearing down on her. If she would turn and aim, then a quite button press would recenter the camera behind her.

I quite liked the music in Anniversary. I thought it was right for the game. Certainly better than Legend's running soundtrack.

Speaking of the camera angle, I had hell with it today. I couldn't bluddy well jump this rather large gap as the camera angle kept turning so I kept running off into the wall and falling to my bouncy death. Usually I don't have this problem as I can align the camera back up, but the jump was so short that there wasn't possibly any time to do it so I had to spend five minutes trying to get it so I could have a decent chance of jumping it. Unnecessary frustration.

You cannot run from the Rex with the camera behind you, she is too slow and you run out of time. In order to put some distance between you and the beast, you need to be facing it and do a series of back flips. This gets you some time to get your shots off and find your location on the playing field.

To add little on this....

I decided to spit out my frustration with the game here on this forum... I absolutely agree with pot and Dr.Willard on comment about camera and controls! They suck, big time! It is worse than awful! I always hated that way of movement, it disgusted Metal Gear Solid (great game, great story otherwise!) to me back in the days, and I really can't seem to continue playing Anniversary. I got well in the beginning, even made through T-Rex, but.... Had to jump over few parts of the game (Centaurs, one would be more than enough, let alone two, and those stupid zig-zag pharaoh statues jumps in Temple of Khamoon, can you believe that!!!!!!) and now it seems that I'll have to load another one, since I can't make a wall run and jump in obelisk room! It would really be a pity to do it on a very beginning of the level, since I like exploration and puzzles part of the game! Having said that, I think that would be more emphasized compared to shooting part, TR has never been a shooting game! Back to controls: OK, we have this stupid system of "static" camera, left is always left, no matter where she is pointed to (kinda 2-D moves in 3-d space, no logic at all!!!!), BUT why it happens that she is pointed half-way somewhere after landing on a pillar or a terrace, usually one which retracts under your feet or one you have to make next jump from in an instant, why camera turns when she drops and grabs the ledge, and so on, and so on..... Centaur fight, you try to run and shoot, and no chance you can make both, at least not with knowing where you are running and what you're shooting at! You can understand this as a whining, but these flaws really kill all the fun, and I think fun is what we go for in a first place.
    After playing TR series on PS1 and PS2 with that nice camera following Lara in logical way, this really is a way down the ladder. I hope they would change it back to normal, otherwise there is no point playing for frustration.
    Greetings to all!