Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: We Want A New Legacy Of Kain !!!

Well...most of the twists are sorted now. All new players have to know is that a vampire is trying to restore the pillars linked to the health of the land and kill the big squid thing.

Hm... I´m not convinced it´s that easy.
    Until now, everything that Kain and Raziel have done was part of the circle - it´s not clear how Kain will be able to break it and alter the future.
    But then again - if he is able to do it, how are the events that leads to all of this supposed to take place?
    And, not to forget, there are two versions of Kain at the moment - the young and the old one.
    If the old one changes the future, what will then happen to him? He´d be practically stranded in time, a paradox himself...
    Considered all of this, I think a new game still would require much knowledge of the former titles, because the solution is perhaps rather complicated and closely linked to the events that have already occured (in old Kains point of view, that is).
    They could, of course, summarize it and tell it at the beginning or during the game, but I think so much information at once would alienate most of the new players.

About Amy´s departure from CD... personally I don´t think it´s that big of a problem that she left the team - I´m not entirely sure, but I think I´ve read once that she´ve left enough preparation for the LoK team to make a new part of the game behind, and I believe that there are other talented people with great ideas.
    But for the game to be successful they perhaps should have created it earlier. The more time passes, the more unlikely it is that it will sell well.

Please don´t misunderstand me: I´d be just as happy as every LoK fan to hear that a new part is going to be created, I simply don´t think it´s very likely.

Ah, maybe I´m just too pessimistic about this whole thing... it´s only that a new LoK title sounds too good to be true...

It wouldn'r require knowledge of former titles. Let it be known there's sequels for people to hunt down, yes, but newcomers don't need to what's happened. We haven't been told how to purify the pillars yet, so the developers could introduce new plot elements in the new game. Kain can't do anything major in the past, but that's easily solved by having him travel to the post SR1 era.

After thinking about this for a while, I came to the conclusion that you´re right - it could be done without requiring much knowledge of the former titles, for the reasons you´ve already mentioned.

I just remember me playing Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2 - I´ve never touched a Blood Omen game before, therefore it was really hard for me to understand what´s going on, since these two games are reffering much to the first one.
    After playing it, there were quite a few light bulb moments...
    So when creating LoK 6, I think something like this should be avoided.
    It was okay for Soul Reaver, since the games were released in a rather short period of time, but now it´s different.

If there´s ever a LoK 6 to come, I´d be more than curious to see how the developers of the game will handle this.

Let´s all hope that we´re going to find out, someday...

Well, I could see a 15 min cutscene showing highlights of the previous games. It could bring you up to speed on the story. There is a whole lot that has been introduced over the past 5 games. Either that or a booklet with the story thus far. I couldn't imagine playing one of the later games and not being totally lost without knowlege of the previous games.

Fifteen minutes at the start of a game? That's too long to hold people's interest, especially with a story as complicated as the previous five games. You're better introducing aspects in smaller doses as you need them, as narration, like Raz does somewhere in early SR2 (too lazy to hunt down the exact quote, I think he was in the chapel. "As I witnessed (insert event) I was reminded of Kain's journey as a fledgling...

Big Grin

It would be stupid if they brought Raziel back , that makes his sacrifice cheap .

Think of kain needs to recharge the reaver when he face a strong enemy , "Come here Razzy boy , let daddy stick you with the reaver only this once" !

They can always continue the story where they stopped. I mean come on we are talking about Eidos here they made 5 EXCELLENT games and 1 more game is not a problem. The only problem is that we dont know if there is gonna be a new one! Its been 5 years since the LOK Defiance was released.

15 minutes? Wouldn't ever fly. Gamers tend to have a short attention span, that's one of the series greatest downfalls. The complex plot is almost impossible to just jump into. And I don't believe that dumah's wraith meant that Raziel should be brought back, he just meant that narration could be used as a means of helping newcomers understand what's going on, while reminding us long-time fans of events that may have faded from the memory.

Personally I think that the game should continue where it left off, but have the occasional flashback to older days for others to understand, all of it playable of course. I think it would be fun to see a BO1 era from Kain's perspective again, only knowing what we know now. Plus it could clear up a lot of unanswered questions and backstory.

Fifteen minutes at the start of a game? That's too long to hold people's interest, especially with a story as complicated as the previous five games.
    15 minutes? Wouldn't ever fly. Gamers tend to have a short attention span, that's one of the series greatest downfalls. The complex plot is almost impossible to just jump into.
    I'm a bit surprised you'd think so, because such a summary already has flown. Devil May Cry 4 comes with a 20 minute-long installation sequence before you can even play the game, during which the story of the first three games is summarised in text and images. Of course, their story isn't nearly half as rich as LoK, but the summary (with roughly 30-second pauses between each image) repeats itself four times over in that space of time. You could quite easily sum up the LoK games' storyline in the same way.

And look at SR2 - it condensed two games and an enormous backstory* into two manual-size pages of text. Nobody needed to play Blood Omen to have a clear idea of what was going on in that game, aside perhaps from the two scenes involving William and Malek.

Another very obvious example, MGS4, actually replays a couple of scenes and images from previous games, even MGS1 with its ten year old graphics. Some are just one-second-long flashbacks which you'd barely notice, but still. Konami wasn't ashamed of digging up PS1-quality screens to slip into their PS3 title in order to ensure everyone was keeping up with the story at the same pace (mostly). Why would LoK be?

I don't think the "you haven't touched the series until now, you needn't start here" train of thought really applies to videogames with excellent storylines, since they get tons of special opportunities to bring people up to speed. Movies, like Lord of the Rings or Matrix, however, are less fortunate. They're preceded by a 30 minute-long string of adverts instead.

* It's fun to note that half of the stuff that takes place in these games isn't even playable.

I'm a bit surprised you'd think so, because such a summary already has flown. Devil May Cry 4 comes with a 20 minute-long installation sequence before you can even play the game, during which the story of the first three games is summarised in text and images. Of course, their story isn't nearly half as rich as LoK, but the summary (with roughly 30-second pauses between each image) repeats itself four times over in that space of time. You could quite easily sum up the LoK games' storyline in the same way.
    Why I hadn't a clue! Maybe it could work, but I still think that it would have to be very well done to not only bring everyone up to speed but also keep the attention. Perhaps a mix of narration through the game, a long introduction, and flashbacks would work best?

Quote Originally Posted by Escaton View Post
    I'm a bit surprised you'd think so, because such a summary already has flown. Devil May Cry 4 comes with a 20 minute-long installation sequence before you can even play the game, during which the story of the first three games is summarised in text and images. Of course, their story isn't nearly half as rich as LoK, but the summary (with roughly 30-second pauses between each image) repeats itself four times over in that space of time. You could quite easily sum up the LoK games' storyline in the same way. A
    The install was a feature added to the PS3 version only to make sure the frame rate was keep smooth in the game. They decided to put the flashback in so people had something to watch. The flashback wasn't in the 360 or PC versions of the game, despite 360 owners probably not knowing of the story of the previous games.

Don't say it is so...

The storyline for the legacy of Kain series is one of the greatest to ever be written for the game industry maybe even the entertainment industry itself. Although some of the games had minor flaws or glitches the games were absolutely great. My only complaint is after conquering five awesome games on two separate consoles it all ends at a beginning and there seems to be no plans to make a sequel. I’ve searched the web and found rumors about a canceled sequel to defiance and dread the idea of never being able to finish the story the series started, The series brought to us two of the greatest antiheroes in gaming and a sword that for me wielding rivals the excitement I felt when I drew the master sword in the legend of Zelda series. The war with the Hylden after five games has just reached its beginning, please Eidos tell me that the game series isn’t over, not like this. Eidos don’t abandon a sequel to the best series you ever made!

Cool Other writers

Hi Im new here but yeah I want a new LoK game real bad, Ive never actuly played anyother game with a story as deep as this series, I got the original soul reaver from my mate, it was scrathed to hell but worked on my PS1 like a dream, havent left the series since, most games now just don't have the guts to do something diffrent, but this series made you care about the characters, to the point, Ive read quite a few posts on various forums and came across the point of Amy henning, of course it common knowledge that shes left (plus Tony jay R.I.P) but people keep droneing on about how because shes left, the series is screwed, just to be plain and simple....ahem, GET OVER AMY SHES MOVED ON, THERE IS OTHER WRITERS IN THE WORLD AND FROM WHAT IVE SEEN FROM SOME OF THE FAN-FICS, SOME OF THE FANS COULD BLOODY WRITE IT , ahem....rant over, id love to see this series carried on, I just hope I live to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel'sRevenge View Post
    15 minutes? Wouldn't ever fly. Gamers tend to have a short attention span, that's one of the series greatest downfalls. The complex plot is almost impossible to just jump into. And I don't believe that dumah's wraith meant that Raziel should be brought back, he just meant that narration could be used as a means of helping newcomers understand what's going on, while reminding us long-time fans of events that may have faded from the memory.

Personally I think that the game should continue where it left off, but have the occasional flashback to older days for others to understand, all of it playable of course. I think it would be fun to see a BO1 era from Kain's perspective again, only knowing what we know now. Plus it could clear up a lot of unanswered questions and backstory.
    Thanks for that. No, I didn't say bring back Raz, I just used an example from SR2. And I agree with everything in the quote. After however long it takes to run through the story, definately at least over ten minutes, you still have to set up story of the new game, get used to the controls, etc, etc.

Yakuza II has something like a thirty five minute intro (haven't played it, just read a feature complaining about it in PSW) Flashbacks within flashbacks...
    Nah. It'd take a very dedicated fan to sit through that every time the game starts. Said fan probably knows what happened in the prequel anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    I, too, would love to see a continuation of the LoK Series - both the story, the characters and the gameplay are great in all of these games.
    And, of course, it´s just a shame that the story is left unfinished.
    Until Kain reaches his ultimate goal to restore the pillars and avoid the corruption of Nosgoth, everything that has happened until now seems somehow insignificant...

But on the other side I also can understand why the developers are hesitant to create a new game.
    The story of LoK has become very complex, and to understand it completely you have to play every one of the games - which has become practically impossible nowadays.
    Fans, of course, still purchase Blood Omen and Soul Reaver via platforms like ebay, but I don´t think that those, wo are new to the series, would do such a thing and play games which are over ten years old now.
    So a sequel of the series would barely motivate those who are not familiar with the series, since they couldn´t catch up with the story.
    Having said this I don´t really think that there´s much hope for a new game... it´s just not profitable.

Though, of course, I´d be more than delighted if it turns out that I´m wrong

Sorry for my poor english by the way...
    i so hope that thw story continues but its been 4 years since Defiance and i hate that its not continued i luv the legacy of kain more than anything and i followed it from soul reaver, the fact that it was just finished at a cliffhanger is terrible as its story was so compelling... its a huge pity that its all gone to waste PLEASE EIDOS FULLFILL OUR DREAMS AND REVIVE THE SERIES!!

Thumbs Up The Series Has More To Give! No Doubt In That!

Quote Originally Posted by brucewillis2 View Post
    So many reasons why they should over why they shouldn't. The argument of dragging on a storyline is rubbish, the wheel keeps on turning.

They only skimmed the surface of the storyline between the Hylden and the vampires. Greater characters can be pulled into the fold, new characters and a younger Janos, unfortunately we know outcome but due to time travel things can be done to help kain in the future restore the pillars, resurrect raziel (if necessary), see a younger Vorador. So many options.

But so many games out there these days are rubbish. Legacy of Kain had one of the greatest stories out there, and by far the best voice acting (R.I.P Tony Jay)... it always pushed me to want to play more to find out the next chapter and what new things would be uncovered. Current games out there have NO DEPTH like the Lok series. Seriously NO DEPTH, so much so its painful and frustrating.

Finally look at the new consoles out there. The PS3 has the power to make this game unbelievably good.

This game is too good to end it.
    i dont get what people mean by saying that its was meant to end at LoK defiance it obviously had more to give the story was not finished yet Kain still had to completrly restore the pillars to a purified state and return them to vampire guardianship and altar all the bad events in the series from happening, the story is sensational, its no good letting us assume what happened the vampires are not yet fully redemed and the pillarsd will still get corrupted, the events of Lok and the end with kain receiving the spirit soul reaver was never meant to happen so it proves there must be hope for kain to redeem and heal Nosgoth, Tony Jay dying was a tragic loss but there must be a way to continue this timeless series! its unjust to leave it how it is,LIKE ARIEL SAID "YOU MUST UNITE WHAT HAS BEEN SET USUNDER ONLY THEN WILL THE SCION OF BALANCE BE ARMED FOR HIS TRUE ENDEVOUR..ONLY THEN.." hint hint its proves that everything Kains younger self does is not the true timestream he was meant to go down, Kains true endevour is meant to happen after Legacy of Kain Defiance! Eidos it cant end were it did its not fair, its the biggest injustice in the gaming industry as LoK was and still is a timeless classic that deserves more!

Regarding the flashback/recap thing - there's also the option to make it, well, optional. The story may be ever so good, and it is, but there will always be players who will throw their controllers at the screen if they don't get to kick some butt right away. Sadly they also carry their share of the game sales, so of course the developers would like to please those as well.

Ever played the Oddworld games? In the second one, you can choose to go watch a recap of the story-so-far. That might be an idea for LoK - It'd justify making the recap as long as necessary, while allowing those lacking interest in the story to go ahead and suck blood instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    Regarding the flashback/recap thing - there's also the option to make it, well, optional. The story may be ever so good, and it is, but there will always be players who will throw their controllers at the screen if they don't get to kick some butt right away. Sadly they also carry their share of the game sales, so of course the developers would like to please those as well.

Ever played the Oddworld games? In the second one, you can choose to go watch a recap of the story-so-far. That might be an idea for LoK - It'd justify making the recap as long as necessary, while allowing those lacking interest in the story to go ahead and suck blood instantly.
    Actually, that's a very good idea. Maybe even chapters for each individual game, or to save memory, write it out in text. That'd work.

Well, you could even break it up through the game. Have a small flash back. Give a little explination about Kain's past experiance which will cause him to take a certain path in the game. It wold be cool to see cutscenes that were made up of scenes from the previous games.

Look at the Metal Gear games, hell, you sit there for 10 to 15 min watching cutscenes. Believe me, if I'm really into a game, a 10min cutscene gives me just enough time to calm down after a boss battle. The only time I hate cutscenes is when I fail to make it past a certain point, and have to go back, but then I just skip them.

Meh, the chances of getting a new LoK game are pretty much nonexistant now unless Cloud and Sephiroth are going to make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Meh, the chances of getting a new LoK game are pretty much nonexistant now unless Cloud and Sephiroth are going to make an appearance.
    I was hoping the opposite would be true and that it would be more likely with S-E's resources behind Eidos.

But then, if S-E takes over, there would probably be a new creative team and direction behind whatever next LoK game might come, and we may wish the series stayed in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by swordsicle View Post
    Well, you could even break it up through the game. Have a small flash back. Give a little explination about Kain's past experiance which will cause him to take a certain path in the game. It wold be cool to see cutscenes that were made up of scenes from the previous games.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post (not the most recent one, the one with the SR2 reference)

New issue LOK series

Quote Originally Posted by persiannova View Post
    hi dear raziel lovers,
    evrybody that want a new version of legacy of kain game series sign this artichle to tell eidos WE WANT A NEW LEGACY OF KAIN !!! do that for us sooon!
    so common!
    thnx
    So do I and I am not the only one! What's keeping Eidos???!

make a new game! seriously stop making all those retarded tomb raider games and give kain his due. but forget the old storyline - its too confusing and gives me a headache. no time travel please.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast