Page 7 of 7 First First ... 34567

Thread: Your favourite Plane??

Your favourite Plane??

Originally Posted by David603
    What people tend to forget is that while they are tough, Wildcats aren't covered in armour. You have some steel plating behind the pilot, a bulletproof windshield, self-sealing fuel tanks, and a relatively sturdy construction. Only the backplating has any chance of stopping a cannon shell, and there are plenty of control cables, fuel lines etc that could be taken out by a .30 round.
    This could go either way. The Ki-43 is slightly more agile and better at climbing than the A6M2, and if it was Ki-43 vs A6M2 then I would pick the Ki-43.

However, if I had to take one of those planes up against a Wildcat, I would pick the A6M2 because the Ki-43 has a rather weak armament in the form of just 2 .50cal machine guns, compared to the A6M2's 2x20mm cannon and 2x.303 machine guns, and you need all the firepower you can get when going up against a Wildcat.
    The KI-43 was designed as an Army Fighter, not the navy. Engagements fighter to fighter were virtually non-existant in the pacific theater for nearly the entire line of Ki's.

My vote goes for the Shinden Kai J7W1. Although it was never combat tested, it's maneuverability, top speed, an armaments seemingly beat the pants off anything the british or americans had for concept planes themselves.

Originally Posted by Ascelus
    The KI-43 was designed as an Army Fighter, not the navy. Engagements fighter to fighter were virtually non-existant in the pacific theater for nearly the entire line of Ki's.
    I believe the Ki-43 saw a considerable amount of combat when the Japanese were pushing forwards throughout the Pacific, and again when the Japanese were on the defensive. However, I would agree that a Wildcat vs Ki-43 fight would have been rare, but since this is a hypothetical 1v1 fight we don't need to worry how the combatants got there.
    My vote goes for the Shinden Kai J7W1. Although it was never combat tested, it's maneuverability, top speed, an armaments seemingly beat the pants off anything the british or americans had for concept planes themselves.
    The Shinden looks very good as an intercepter, but I'm not sure it would have faired as well against fighters as it has a very high wing loading. On the other hand, the canard layout and rear engine could have made for a very tight turning circle but I'm speculating here. What is certain is that a 470mph top speed and 4 30mm cannon put it well outside the reach of the US Navys main fighters, the F6F and F4U, so even if it couldn't out turn them the Shinden could pull off boom and zoom tactics all day long. And if it could turn with or inside these fighters then you have what could be a uber-plane, and I hope the devs balance it so the Shinden isn't too overpowered in BSP.

The Flying Tigers did it well against the Oscar. But the arament of the Ki-43 is pretty weak....So the Zero had had better arament, but in Ki-43 vs A6M2 it doesen't matter, because the armor is even weak against 7.7-MG.
    But against the US-planes I would take the Zero.

in bs:m a6m zero.

ww2:1.the shindin,f6f hellcat,g4m Betty,b-17 flying fortress,and the b-29 superfortress.

modern airplanes= avro "Arrow", f-22 raptor,f-15 eagle, those are my favorite planes=P

Page 7 of 7 First First ... 34567