• 3a) The story somewhat gravitates around the Dentons

98 56.32%
  • 3b) The drama deals with a whole different matter

38 21.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Dentons (vote three times)

The Dentons (vote three times)

Originally Posted by Voltaire
    Like some major plot thang. Paul saves Walt Simons' life, that kind of thing.
    That would be cool, something like this would come about in the DX3 plot. Considering that Paul bled for me, when I led the NSF bot onto the dock (despite having a GEP gun), in DX1, I think that it is plausible that Paul would save the life of anyone in trouble.

Originally Posted by Voltaire
    I think it would be cool to find out something about him that would make you go "oh!" when you played through DX1 after playing DX3.
    I really LOVE that idea. I loved the Paul character from the first time I played DX1. It gave me a sense of why younger siblings cling to the elder ones. I'd really love to play Paul, again (yes, I enjoyed the ZODIAC mod, eventhough there he was more a lone wolf, than a big brother), and meet some of the old gang, like Smuggler, the NYC bartender, Juan Lebedev, Tracer Tong, and my namesake. My current avatar is testimony to how much I like Paul.

Interesting to note, Voltaire, your post is numbered, starting with "747," the very place where your trust (i.e., the player's trust, in DX1) in Paul is put to the test.

Just spraying thoughts here about the story.

We're a prototype Nano Aug (got problems )
    not related to the Denton's DNA.

Learn or even meet the original host of the Denton clones (assuming he/she exists & not 100% gene engineered from nothing)

Meet the younger Gunther / Anna / both, when they are more human.

DX3 Main Character

I think the main character should be Paul. Before all of the stuff of DX1. Go through Paul's shoes. From the time of Pauls arival at UNATCO to the point of where DX1 begins, from Hong Kong, to making alliances with the NSF.

EDIT: As Vasarto said. Play it from begining to where DX1 takes off, maybe even a little after until JC's espionage.

Originally Posted by Jonno
    I think the main character should be Paul. Before all of the stuff of DX1. Go through Paul's shoes. From the time of Pauls arival at UNATCO to the point of where DX1 begins, from Hong Kong, to making alliances with the NSF.

EDIT: As Vasarto said. Play it from begining to where DX1 takes off, maybe even a little after until JC's espionage.
    Well I hope they make that as an expension set or something. Maybe after the part 3.

Part 3 as a prequel, leading to an expension of Paul's part, than Part 1 JC's part

I wouldn't mind a Paul Denton adventure--Steve Tack's ZODIAC mod used Paul as the protagonist and he found a lot of cool missions to create...But if the game does become a prequel and take place in 2027, it would be a few years before JC Denton was born (he was 23 in 2052, according to canon)...So maybe the most we would get would be a very minor reference to the whole Denton clone project...

I haven't finish Paul's Mod last time & lost the files.

Where can i dl another?

Ok, I got the Zodiac mod again, dl the full version or so they call it, around 61mb

after patching & installing it, I start the game it begins in liberty island as JC.
    what's wrong, or do we have to start like that?

While I don't exactly want to change this thread to a ZODIAC troubleshooting forum, I'll just say to make sure you're starting the ZODIAC executable and not the Deus Ex executable. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure; you could try some of the gamespot and ttlg forums...

Just to get back on thread, it was JC Denton's cool demeanor and monotone voice that made you identify with him and psychologically push his persona into your own ego. I hope the character you play in DX3 has more of that kind of personality instead of the more earnest Alex D of DX2...

I think playing as paul would suck. Picture this your about to stab a guy in the back and as you go to attack paul starts to say, you know you have a flash nade and a baton, why kill him? he turns around and shoots you in the face. How about your sniping and about kill the mission target but as you pull the trigger paul jumps in and starts his whole damn speach about how rubber bullets would be better... Come on just try a beanbag shotty for once... Dude I don't understand how he could be the main character in the prequel. In the first one I don't think he shuts up about not trying to kill anyone.

Originally Posted by jamesthefishy
    I think playing as paul would suck. Picture this your about to stab a guy in the back and as you go to attack paul starts to say, you know you have a flash nade and a baton, why kill him? he turns around and shoots you in the face. How about your sniping and about kill the mission target but as you pull the trigger paul jumps in and starts his whole damn speach about how rubber bullets would be better... Come on just try a beanbag shotty for once... Dude I don't understand how he could be the main character in the prequel. In the first one I don't think he shuts up about not trying to kill anyone.
    He's not against killing nor love it.

The reason he's the way he is in 'Deus Ex: Conspiracy'
    Is because he don't want JC to kill the NSF.
    That's all.

For me playing as Paul were used on mods, the prequels too because we have the DX story to make them ....

Well as I said, I'm kind of hoping DX3 isn't a prequel as thats been done by game series before and I'd like to see DX take a different direction. I would like to encounter both Paul and JC somewhere along the way in the story however. I'm also thinking if its a sequel we could play as a descendant of the Denton's, or a friend of theirs perhaps entered into a new augmentation program. Who knows? I would also like to see the rest of the old gang that was left out of IW. I mean its not like they all died of old age or dropped off the map in the 20 year gap between games :P

Originally Posted by auric
    He's not against killing nor love it.

The reason he's the way he is in 'Deus Ex: Conspiracy'
    Is because he don't want JC to kill the NSF.
    That's all.
    Doesn't he go on to say don't kill unatco troops as well?

Originally Posted by jamesthefishy
    Doesn't he go on to say don't kill unatco troops as well?
    I don't recall him ever saying that but I'm sure he does think that, at least for those he know back then.

Just because someone switch sides, doesn't mean they don't care about those from before.
    But he don't seem to hesitate to kill NSF before joining them. The troops getting gas grenades were shocked at this.

Am I the only one who wants to play a totally different character?
    Deus Ex for me is not just about the Dentons. Deus Ex is about a dark and gritty world where theres a constant struggle for power, where public relations between corporate entities and normal people are practically nonexistant, where there are more underclasses than any middle-class and where governments introduce crafty schemes and never give anywhere near the full picture to the outside world.

Yes, the Dentons helped change this world dramatically, but only in the short-term. There will always be organizations who take control, there will always be corruption, there will always be this underclass who resort to drugs and prostitution and try to salvage what they can. In DX:IW you hear people talk about The Collapse, but it didnt exactly have a huge effect. People recooperated, organizations retained power and seized the general public again, and JC's actions were only limited to his construction work in Antartica, and nothing else can become of it until Alex helps him out.
    It's only because of them being player characters that Alex and JC had the opportunities to actually make a big impact. In the larger scheme of things, the Dentons were just the first working experiment with nanotechnology, and better ones have been made since (the Men In Black were more advanced than you were anyway). JC got corrupted by technology, and turned into a barely-recognizeable overzealous weirdo. That's just the way things go I'm afraid, and it's just another example of how gritty and screwed up the DX world is. There's no "heroes".

I am of course, ignoring the fact that one of the endings meant that JC/Helios became the ruler of the world and used nanotechnology to link everybody together, which is kinda a big deal.
    But as I've said before, I see the ending clips at the end of IW more as "visions" of the ideal outcome than true fortellings of the future.

My personal idea for a main character: An outsider. Lets play someone who for once, is NOT working for a corporation. Someone who is still connected in some way (perhaps some kind of Denton descendant, although that would be kinda cheesy and predictable) but someone who originally appears to be a nobody, but uncovers more about himself and ends up getting himself into something much much bigger. It's a nice blank canvas to work on. Hell, what do I know, they've no doubt made the entire story by now anyway.

EDIT: I realise, I may have just described Case from Neuromancer.
    Oh well. It's awesome!

I pretty much agree with Absentia.

I don't think the main character has to be related to the Denton, and I don't think the story needs to be around the Dentons either, although it would be nice if they had some part of it. Throw some bones to those who played the first game and so on

As for meeting the Dentons in the game, that's a hard one. While it could be very cool to meet JC in the game, it can also be a disaster. JC is the main character of the first game, and he behaves differently than how you played him in DX1, you might be in for a major WTF!? moment (just like how most people reacted with DX:IW). It would probably be better if the player only got information about JC thru Paul, e-mails, news, other people or whatever. Keep the players vision of JC intact.

If you played The Elder Scrolls series, for example, so are the vast majority of NPCs in Morrowind not in Oblivion and vice versa. They are stand alone games and the player doesn't need to play both to get the most of the story from one of the games, and the hero of Morrowind isn't in Oblivion. Also, how many adventures can the Dentons be a part of? They had their big glory adventure. I don't want this series to become something like a detective sitcom where some strange things happens to the main character in every new episode. Some new blood is needed, but the person should be way more interesting than the Alex dork.

The "embryo" in the trailer looks mechanical, so the game could be set before DX1, meaning the main character would be a mech. The Dentons would therefore not show-up, but maybe you could meet their fake/real pearents?

I would like to see a prequel. The Dentons are the first agents to successfully have nanoaugmentation. However it never says that there werent failed experiments in the past. I would like to see the character as an earlier prototype. Your of course going to be deemed as a failure by the organisation. And your nano-augs wont be up to par with JC's. But you would also have mechanical augs at you disposal as that would be the big technology of the time.

1b), 2b), 3a)

The Dentons should be directly involved, somehow, with the main plot of the game, absolutely. But playing as one or as a clone? I'd rather not repeat the previous games. And for that matter, meeting them isn't necessary to make it faithful to the original storyline.
    But that's just my opinion.

I agree with what someone mentioned before- I'd love to play as Paul, and find out something that really makes you go, 'Ohh, so that's why ________!!'
    Something that nobody would expect, something that would really contribute to the game. The devs mentioned somewhere that they wished they could explore the game's characters more than they did in DX1- I think DX3 could really be a chance to do it.

137/219 allowed votes.

You can vote three times!!!
    "The year is 2027"

you should play as Alex Jacobson - turn it into a SystemShock type hacking adventure where you need to infiltrate enemy systems and defeat dangerous nodes in order to aid the Dentons along in their missions. Maybe there is more to Jacobson then what was previously thought?

But in all seriousness, while inhabiting the same deus ex universe as the one with biomodification, versalife, illuminati and the like, DX3 can still very much be relevant to the original even without having ties to the original storyline. The Versalife base in Antartica was one of the better levels in that game (not JC's trippy sanctuary). I liked DX2 up until around Trier when it brought back Tong and then Paul was reintroduced - everything went straight to hell. As a player I didn't give a rat's ass that I was a clone of the Dentons - I felt no allegiance or ties to them - simply having JC be the cause of the Collapse was enough (I thought) to make the game relevant. I would have loved to have played through a fresh and unique story with its own characters.

Maybe you should play as Mr. Renton, having to protect your daughter from punks like JoJo, being able to evict people from the Ton - with a pistol.

Those are cool ideas if DX3 is going to be a huge succes and it will become a very poopular franchise - playing as the Rentons in an add-on would be awesome.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    Maybe you should play as Mr. Renton, having to protect your daughter from punks like JoJo, being able to evict people from the Ton - with a pistol.
    That would be a flash game.

About the Dentons I would love to play someone who is not affiliated to them. That way you could develop the story from a totally new point of view, a different but very interesting angle, like a novel.
    "The year is 2027"

My vote is for Paul. He has such a rich history that is completely untapped. Anyways if it's a prequel the choice is between him and Simons, and I think that Simons makes a far better antagonist. Playing as Paul would serve bothe the purposes of giving people new to the series a fresh, undecided character to play, while giving us hardcore fans those "Ah, That's why he did this and became...", uncovering many of the mysteries of DX. One thing I badly want though is a LONG game, 2 years should give a lot of time for level design and I don't want a game that will take me 6 hours to finish, that is pathetic. I hate this trend of short games in recent years, what happened to giant levels?

Absentia: the MiBs were hardly a match for the mechs, let alone you. I believe the email about the Series-P Agents stated that they were "nearly as effective, at less than a quarter of the price". They were just cost-effective, and so were you.

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last