Thread: Daily Dose of Deus

Daily Dose of Deus

Smile Daily Dose of Deus

<Zyme overdose>

Remember that saying from a fan site years ago, and it has stuck with me ever since. Think it's appropriate to reintroduce here for the fans who can't get enough of the game.

I didn't get DX at the beginning, as frankly I didn't keep up with the game scene back in 2000. Apart from playing Caesar III and AOE, I didn't play that many games then, as I was more of a forum junkie. By chance I tried Yahoo games and downloaded DX from there as it reminded me of the games from the 80s, and before I got halfway through the game, just h-a-d to buy it outright. Turns out I bought two copies of the game, and probably will buy more for safe keeping (like the GOTY disk artwork, too).

When I finally got to the ending -- and experienced my first "WOW!!" in gaming (literally said, "WOW!!" as the quote finished the scene) -- I came here to soak up on the lore that I missed from 2000, only to find that DX2 was released. The old forum was literally on fire will so many disappointed fans. Hate couldn't describe it, it was outright war. Learned very quickly why the fans were on a rampage -- they waited so long to have a sequel that continued with JC and Paul (and other characters), only to get a metrosexual dudette who couldn't even hold a pistol right!

Leapfrog years later, I see the same scenerio playing out again. Old fans hoping that the franchise will continue from the canon and Eidos won't gum it up; new fans hoping to incorporate new stuff (and forgetting that it's a cyperpunk theme and a hybrid FPS in the process).

Don't know what DX3 will bring, if it'll be a prequel or sequel or from what time frame, but one thing I do know is this fan base is locked to narrow specifics. If Eidos doesn't deliver this time, might as well put a fork into the franchise, as the burn of a failure here will be worse than the DX2 flap.

Maybe Eidos and the DX devs don't understand why DX fans are so particular and demanding, to the point the game is personal more so than others. I can only relate to what I feel for sure, and that is this is the only game I can say in 30 years I truly loved. Because it's so rare, the personal pleas become more desperate, that if "creative license" turns the game on the ear, it becomes like a dream destroyed. It makes folks incredibly angry, and they will turn to the only venue to gripe about it -- to Eidos and the DX crew itself. I don't blame Warren Specter actually for the DX2 flop, he's a thinker and has great ideas, but I believe he put the wagon ahead of the carrot with the gameplay. DX2 was bound to fail with that mindset (and to this day Specter can't seem to come to terms with it and the why fans revolted).

If anything, Eidos and the devs themselves need to understand through the fog of a zillion words is: DX is a special world in itself. It's a world fans would not want tweaked too far. It's not the graphics and new weapons that will sell this game, it will be the conspiracy story that folks today can still believe as being true. With a cyberpunk background (not Star Trekish) it has everything wrapped in a tight package that geekish kids and, now 30 and 40 somethings, will enjoy.

Whatever the future holds Eidos, don't gum this one up. I'd mod DX until I die, if that will keep it true to form, if DX3 is anything but Deus Ex. A feeling I'm sure the mod community shares (probably the most dedicated in the industry -- almost 8 years later STILL revamping the game!).

Be true!

</Zyme overdose>

So true, so true. Man i get tears in my eyes. This game has to be more like DX was. DX had all this feeling to realism and the technology was not to way much advanced, to be belived in. I just hope the devs understand the feeling in the DX, that done it so cyber punked. DX2 technology was to much envolved, to be belived in and really done people to not belive in rest of the story in game. Ones more. I GRY and i really have my faith to the devs of Eidos. That they don't gum this up.

Thanks

What the devs need to do, is forget about impressive graphics forget about super character animations and forget about amazing physics.

You can spend all your time getting one or all 3 fantastic, but it will mean absolutely nothing if you have a crappy story, poor script and plot development and superficial charcters.

By all means they should persue those other things, but they should only do that once they have that critical base.

As much as fans rile against Eidos over DX2, they at least allowed the fans to decompress (which is healthy, as anger has to go somewhere -- better here than at 1001 other sites). Some publishers are just plain more open to honest feedback than others. Then again, some believe that control of criticism helps. Case in point...

http://www.projectorigincommunity.co...3491#post13491

The F.E.A.R. franchise is close to Deus Ex with a conspiracy storyline (what of it that is included) and a dark theme. One of the reasons I got the game was because it sort of reminded me of DX. After playing it I was disappointed that there wasn't much of a background story, and it was basically all that I dislike in FPS games -- linear, who has the baddest toys wins, and ultimately full of toilet words as "filler". Without hope of a DX3, I spent time at their forums suggesting a better storyline and all, hoping that it could fill that niche of DX fans who wanted s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g of the same theme.

I lasted about 6 months before being banned. It didn't matter spending months on the technical side helping folks to configure the game to play. Didn't help in suggestions on how to improve gameplay. Didn't help with putting a good word of a game folks tend to steer clear of due to it's ugly themes, let alone a horror FPS genre. All that mattered is being a mindless drone of filthy mouthed gangstas -- the image of that game.

That franchise is one of the touchiest I've encountered. Not only is their fanbase sociopathic, the game content borders on the criminally insane (e.g., raping a 13 year-old girl, and keeping her imprisoned). That franchise doesn't tolerate criticism well, and does it's best on 2 publishing websites to ban any dissenter. The result is, despite F.E.A.R. having nice mod tools, it has almost no one keeping the franchise alive with mods (and ones that were made are so god awful). They refuse to listen to the core that would mod it. Folks just play the game, then trade or sale after a month. It's not a keeper.

That poster called Monolith to task about making the game PC friendly (sounds familiar?). So far none that I've seen yet complain about the DX2 style HUD, either. The result is their itchy fingered Mono moderators were so eager to ban the guy. Been through that crap before with them, so quite sympathetic to dissenters of a good game, with yet horrid PR and standards.

Yeah, F.E.A.R. isn't Deus Ex (thank god!), but this is a reminder to everyone who were upset with Eidos and the DX2 devs -- they didn't ban you for being naturally upset or worried of the direction of a game. To me a mark of a good publisher of ADULT games, is they have thick skin as the games they produce requires to play. WoW probably has the most haters of a game in history, but it also has a subscription base any publisher would die for -- so criticism doesn't necessarily mean failure for a franchise (as evident of the extremely loyal DX fan base despite DX2), it can mean new opportunities.

Constructive criticism, can have it's perks, as fans who spend their time complaining in detail, are showing they r-e-a-l-l-y are playing the game, and finding the problems that can occur in the wild that no publisher could foresee. Knowing of the problems that upsets the main base, helps the devs to avoid the pitfalls that can hurt the franchise later. Publisher/devs want a steady income (and loyalty without using whips and chains to force compliance), fans want a game to be true to the original. Win win for both.

Do it right, Eidos. Make DX3 rival Tomb Raider as your prime franchise. It's very possible in this day of 1001 conspiracies since 9/11 to keep it going, and you know this game has tons of modders just waiting to keep the game alive for another decade.

Originally Posted by Edx
    What the devs need to do, is forget about impressive graphics forget about super character animations and forget about amazing physics.

You can spend all your time getting one or all 3 fantastic, but it will mean absolutely nothing if you have a crappy story, poor script and plot development and superficial charcters.

By all means they should persue those other things, but they should only do that once they have that critical base.
    For the core fan base this is very true. They'll trade almost anything for a good story, as in the time frame devs often has, a lot gets cut on the cutting floor to make the release date. Best to cut the eye candy, than the main reason fans are fans of the game.

All I really care about is some higher poly models of JC, crew and buildings -- but not at the expense of large maps. If they keep the same soundtrack, the same voices, and even weapons I wouldn't even complain -- they would've done what no modders has been able to achieve yet, modernize the game (yeah, the HDTP project is wonderful, but artistic license has made the game veer off the style of the original. It no longer looks like Deus Ex).

As much as folks complained about universal ammo, the HUD, the crappy load times and tiny maps, what really fueled the fire was that Paul and JC were but minor characters in DX2 and the story sucked due to it. With that, and add the rest of the issues, fans were irrate. DX2 was marketed to a Emo base of players, complete with a metrosexual protagonist, the very non-core players of DX. It was bound to fail, as it targeted a base that had zero loyalty.

Extreme focus on the core base now will jumpstart the DX franchise. Sure would like to see those core modders come back to the fold -- Steve and the rest, who did a remarkable job in keeping DX alive years afterwards.

A lot of excellent modders still lurk about the few surviving fansites (guys like Phasmatis, Dr. Dumb_Lunatic, and great musicians like Steve Foxon), but you're right, the glory days of DX modding are behind us. Coming from a modder deeply involved with a multi-year commitment to "Man in Black," I hope no one interprets that statement as derogatory, but the years of 2001-2002 were the apex of a great modding scene for a spectacular game.

I'd love for the Eidos Montreal developers to include an SDK with the release of DX3. Even if my worst fears were realized and the game was awful, I'd still welcome with open arms the chance to rebuild/add on to the original game using a new set of tools/physics.

Man, my fingers have been crossed so long they're starting to turn blue...here's hoping Eidos lets a little more info out of the bag in the next couple of months!

-Wildcat

Scadvid : I'am with you. I been in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community and given away lots of suggestions to the devs, last year. When i bought the game i really got chocked in the final product. There was lots of things in game, that i know for sure, that i have been given to them in the community. There was stuff that i know other fans have been given too. That been really good for the final product and done the game good like it is. Then i know, everything can't be done eighter. But i try to give games the little small ideas to raise up the feeling in realism and atmosphere, that you can belive in and take part of. One small idea i gave the S.T.A.L.K.E.R dev crew, was to give sound to bushes when you walked close to them and gun jamming (weapon quality system). Those little stuff done lots of the feeling to the game and does lots to get people hooked. Little bit of atmosphere and little bit of realism.

So, i really hope the Eidos devs take the feedback from us in this community. Becurse i belive all fans here have the same picture of the final product. To keep atmosphere in Deus Ex 3 so close to realism it can be, not too Star Trekish. To keep realism in propotion of value of money, like how much all technologies should cost and how easy it should be to get your hands on different levels of technology.

I can't agree more with the OP.

I have just recently finished playing DX2 last week and I'm now enjoying another run through DX1. The difference between the two games is night and day. I have played DX2 twice now and I do not think I will ever touch it again. There were just so many things that I felt were done incorrectly or just didn't fit in the Deus Ex theme. I am not kidding when I say that I've played DX1 all the way through at least 6 times. DX1 resides in my #1 spot for best game ever. No other game has compelled me to play through it more that twice.

I'm hoping that Eidos will listen to the fans and create a game similar to DX1.

Oh btw....

I just "modded" my own stealth pistol for DX1. First time doing it... only took 30 minutes. Heheh

It was basically the same as the 10mm pistol, but silenced.

The beauty of DX is that it is so easy to mod (well at least the graphics!). I experimented with F.E.A.R. and it's tools, but the whole DX9 way of making graphics becomes an ugly chore. No longer can you just UV paint, you have to make specular/emissive/mat graphics for EACH skinned object. It's mind boggling slow and increases the size of these games to insane levels, especially if you want clear textures (I was pushing 2048x2048 textures to show grain -- can't have such high res images to play with, as it'll choke the I/O).

Then what I really hate, hate, HATE, is these new 3D models require using Maya to tweak -- and absolutely needed to adjust keyed frames and merging animations. Constantly complained about it with F.E.A.R. as I wanted to merge some animations into one, but couldn't as I don't have $6,000 to do so.

God, I hope the Eidos devs will release a handy tool to at least merge existing animations, so modders can tailor levels. There are times when some animations need to be lengthen, but if you can't adjust key times, you're SOL. Really need a converter for CHEAP 3D progs too, such as MilkShape, otherwise the mod community will suffer greatly, not everyone is a student nor can fork out thousands of dollars to just get ONE model right.

Good storyline and mod tools are a must!

I think the main reason DX was so good was that it did what the box said: it gave you an alter ego

the game was really realistic, and the bits that wernt were drowned out y the plotlines twists, DX:IW was too far fetched, too short, too.. lotsa things, so you didnt feel like you were in the game, in DX i (insert funny/rude word for poo) myself when ICARUS first contacted me "I am now fully intergrated with your systems" or something similar

DX:IW didnt have anything like that, nothing. not one part of it made me think "hmm this is different" or "CRAAAP"

and another thing (heh, i love that phrase) DX was good because of the huge number of main characters (IMHO) each one different, each telling you different things, not knowing who to trust, would Helios really rule the world fairly? would the illuminati help ANYONE other than themselves?

these things made DX amazing, whereas IW i didnt really care who won, i didnt feel like i was there, so i didnt really care what happend, and in the end...

PAH! DX was amazing, half the time when i talk about it i dont know what to say, i usualy want to say something like "it makes you really care about the characters" but that doesnt seem enough, so i start saying something about it then trail off.

whereas DX:IW wasnt all bad, it was an ok game in "passing the time" terms, but terrible in gaming terms. once again it all comes back to "did i feel like i was actualy there?"

alot of people wont understand what im getting at, but if you do then at least someone else understands what i mean and im not just talking crazy again

Originally Posted by c37579
    I think the main reason DX was so good was that it did what the box said: it gave you an alter ego
    I certainly liked that. What I did not like, however (and this is the reason why I ignored DX, when it first came out), was that the box mention: "No one believes the conspiracy exists--no one but you." I just saw this as the conspiracy not being such a big threat, since only I knew about it. It was playing the first mission that changed my mind. I thnk DX3's marketing people should make sure that sentences like the one that I have quoted do not show up on DX3's cover: it might make the protagonist look little crazy. I mean, if you see two people in the street, talking about taking over the world, and only you know about it, then they probably not a serious threat to the world, at all.

I liked the second paragraph of the product description, though, and I especially loved the last sentence: "Maybe no one is (innocent)."

Originally Posted by Gary_Savage
    I certainly liked that. What I did not like, however (and this is the reason why I ignored DX, when it first came out), was that the box mention: "No one believes the conspiracy exists--no one but you." I just saw this as the conspiracy not being such a big threat, since only I knew about it. It was playing the first mission that changed my mind. I thnk DX3's marketing people should make sure that sentences like the one that I have quoted do not show up on DX3's cover: it might make the protagonist look little crazy. I mean, if you see two people in the street, talking about taking over the world, and only you know about it, then they probably not a serious threat to the world, at all.

I liked the second paragraph of the product description, though, and I especially loved the last sentence: "Maybe no one is (innocent)."
    this post made me laugh, i can completely see where your comming from with this :P i can just imagine it now...

Originally Posted by c37579
    PAH! DX was amazing, half the time when i talk about it i dont know what to say, i usualy want to say something like "it makes you really care about the characters" but that doesnt seem enough, so i start saying something about it then trail off.
    DX reminds me of the Lethal Weapon movies. Good character development -- and the main characters didn't all die (I'd never forgive F.E.A.R. for giving players a faceless nobody pointman, with equally shallow characters, who if you ever wanted to regard as a friend, got let down when they're killed...every single last one, even your so-called brother). In DX they survived, which meant they could return in the next game. Knowing this, I feel the game will continue with the characters I've became attached, too.

Remember the scene in the 747, where JC has a choice with Lebedev, and if you did the alternative? In comes, Alex, who you didn't expect (well you knew he monitored communications, but not like that!) and for some reason unknown, tries to help you.

Or Jaime?

You really didn't know who to trust, but you had to trust someone (human nature) and take a risk. When you did, you weren't deeply disappointed.

I fear the DX3 will start killing characters (just like in the movies), or make double-crosses more common, all so it can appeal to the "dark" players, or wipe the slate clean for a "new and better team". See, what we don't know about DX3 makes us actually fear the game? Got all hyped about DX2 to only get let down, so now with DX3 we expect nothing but the worst?

It's hard to describe the game and the character dynamics to those who never played it. That total immersive factor, the actual empathy, and attachment to characters (yeah, it can happen in other games, but I could never say this much). When Tracer Tong showed up with the virus, knowing there wasn't a cure available, and the feeling someone who helped you could die, added to the desolution you were feeling upon going to the next mission. It's those little psychological and emotional reactions that keeps adding up, along with twists in the plot, that kept me up all weekend to finish the game -- I had to hurry to get the universal constructor fixed, as someone I cared about (in a game, really???) who's life was in my hands.

What game now has such depth? Such empathy? Such want?

None.

Don't know how Eidos Montreal can beat the story and feel of DX1, but if they can do it, I couldn't express my gratitude enough. To have that old skool game again, with the missing cyberpunk genre, with characters I gave a damn about...Oh, bliss!!

So I'm hanging out at another gaming community, and found another game that's pending release. It had a previous game too. Now I know the fallout of DX2 really burned both sides (players and devs), and maybe the feelings haven't went away after these years still, but upon looking at that forum's "fans", I don't believe the DX2 fallout was so bad!

Negative, apprehensive or not, this forum is t-a-m-e.

Notice with every game there's a loyal base. Usually they're diehards and can read off details that even the devs may not know of the game. Some of these players are more than a little over the top, and consider the game their property. They come in with all what a game should/must be. When a group of such fans ban together and particularly negative and nasty about any changes of canon, I can't see how they help the franchise at all. But they're allowed to post, and in return, after reading the latest flame decided to not get the game. If they act like that on the forum, I can't expect them to play online any better.

It's good to see the fans here are more interested in the progression of Deus Ex, and friendly about 1001 suggestions and ideas. We'll never agree 100% on the direction of DX3, but it's good to see fans who value the game more than proving points and egos. A concensus approach seems to work better for everyone, and it's refreshing to come here and read all the comments by players with a common goal -- to strive for the best game ever.

Maybe DX3 can heal more than than I thought!

A major asset that the DX community has going for it is the relative intelligence of the fanbase. While there are always going to be idiots who fly off the handle and get off on flaming those who don't share their opinions, for the most part the Deus Ex fans are people who are smart/mature enough to know better.

For one thing, a lot of us are older than the average gamer fanbase. I myself am about to turn 25, and I've met several Deus fans in their late 20s-early 30s. Of course there are much younger fans as well, but for the most part, the kind of gamer that Deus Ex appeals to is usually intelligent enough to offer articulate praise/criticism of the game design choices. I think that after the initial knee-jerk response to Invisible War's failures subsided, the community was able to take a step back and begin analyzing the legitimate flaws that we all hope to avoid in DX3.

-Wildcat

Cool SPOILERS: Having Fun with Trash Cans - or - Why I LOVE DX!

There's many reasons why I love Deus Ex, and this is but one of them: the ability to use whatever you can in the environment (and having the time to do it as well!) to wreck havoc on the baddies.

This is what I meant about using trash cans as explosives...

Now go back and do this and see if you can knock every UNATCO and MiB out before even reaching Paul's door (think 2 will always survive, though).

The absolute worst incident of upset hardcore gamers I've encountered thus far was with a game called Planetside (Its a 4 year old MMOFPS, a bit of a BF on steroids since you fight over whole continents at a time, but the games suffering from low populations these days), where the project lead of the time came onto the forums and basically admitted he thought that a certain gameplay mechanic (The ability to access 3rd person view to see enemies coming around the corner and jump them) was and I quote "lame" and that he wanted to change how this mechanic worked.

The response was swift, needlessy hostile and included, amongst other things, death threats. The thread was eventually shut down and the developer had to back down.

At the time, I had developed the sense that the poor chap was struggling with not so much the job but possibly some aspect of his personal life and this incident was the last straw for him I guess. I was worried for him at the time because being treated like that can be really bad for a persons psyche, not sure if hes still working in games development but I wouldn't be surprised if it put him off for good (He left after that incident, which is a shame because I felt he had some right ideas otherwise). Admittedly calling someones preferred playstyle lame is unwise in the extreme, but its no excuse for extremely threatening behaviour.

As such I've learned that hardcore gamers must (By necessity) have anything they say taken with a 'pinch of salt' as the saying goes, basically, be sure the motives for what that person says are honest and on the level and that such things as fear of change or other humanized factors aren't clouding the judgement of people who are, generally, civilized but might get a bit panicky when their comfort zone comes under attack.

Wow, this post turned out to be longer than I expected.

Great thread, Scadvid.

Many of us here are hardcore gamers who believe Deus Ex is the greatest game ever made--at least the greatest leap toward immersive gaming yet taken--and are passionate, opinionated and not a bit anxious about anything involving the next game in the series...

However, I believe that the mature and intelligent nature of Deus Ex also gives rise to a more mature and intelligent fanbase--with all the passion of any hardcore gamer but with perhaps a little more sophistication in their thinking and expression...

I've encountered very few flame wars in my dealings with the DX community. Add to that the fact that the original DX is actually eight years old, and something tells me we're all just a bit older than the typical Gears of War crowd...

I'm confident that any developer who makes any post to this site--controversial or otherwise--will be rewarded with a multitude of intelligent responses (just like composer Alex Brandon was when he posted recently).

Originally Posted by Scadvid
    For the core fan base this is very true. They'll trade almost anything for a good story, as in the time frame devs often has, a lot gets cut on the cutting floor to make the release date. Best to cut the eye candy, than the main reason fans are fans of the game.

All I really care about is some higher poly models of JC, crew and buildings -- but not at the expense of large maps. If they keep the same soundtrack, the same voices, and even weapons I wouldn't even complain -- they would've done what no modders has been able to achieve yet, modernize the game (yeah, the HDTP project is wonderful, but artistic license has made the game veer off the style of the original. It no longer looks like Deus Ex).
    Couldn't agree more. I bet many people would even love to have the original Deux Ex soundtrack as well.

Originally Posted by Scadvid
    Notice with every game there's a loyal base. Usually they're diehards and can read off details that even the devs may not know of the game. . . .
    It's good to see the fans here are more interested in the progression of Deus Ex, and friendly about 1001 suggestions and ideas. We'll never agree 100% on the direction of DX3, but it's good to see fans who value the game more than proving points and egos.
    You made some interesting points comparing this forum to others. I am guessing that that is due to the nature of the storyline, which was more contemplative and filled with debate - rather than polemic. It was probably also due to the subject matter as well; it may be a science-fiction story but the questions and issues it raised are very relevant to us today.

Deus Ex is unique, I think, because it was very original (no, that's not redundant) - it was more an expression of what a relatively small group of people thought was interesting. And it brought together various individual talents who wanted to give expression to something new - and who, apparently, worked very well together.

Then, what happened was what I'll call "marketing." Part of what people saw as the negative aspect of Invisible War was the effort to slough off what made Deus Ex unique and to sell the "Brand Name." Actually, this is all speculation on my part because I don't really know anything about the history but is seems plausible to me. Any takers? Ha ha, maybe they could work it into the storyline of part 3 (just kidding).

Originally Posted by Conspiracy Theorist
    You made some interesting points comparing this forum to others. I am guessing that that is due to the nature of the storyline, which was more contemplative and filled with debate - rather than polemic. It was probably also due to the subject matter as well; it may be a science-fiction story but the questions and issues it raised are very relevant to us today.

Deus Ex is unique, I think, because it was very original (no, that's not redundant) - it was more an expression of what a relatively small group of people thought was interesting. And it brought together various individual talents who wanted to give expression to something new - and who, apparently, worked very well together.

Then, what happened was what I'll call "marketing." Part of what people saw as the negative aspect of Invisible War was the effort to slough off what made Deus Ex unique and to sell the "Brand Name." Actually, this is all speculation on my part because I don't really know anything about the history but is seems plausible to me. Any takers? Ha ha, maybe they could work it into the storyline of part 3 (just kidding).
    So what you are saying is that in Number 2 Invisible war they just wanted to make a quick buck and make Deus Ex into a quick brand name series with little or no effort in making it just like its last one.

I never played Deus Ex 2...even though I kinda want too just becuse. However I am sure that Deus Ex 2 was so bad...since I never heard the end of the complaining on how bad it was...I mean heck alot of people still complain about how bad they though deus ex 2 was. I think if eidos hasn't been hiding under a rock or as long as they aren't complete retards. Im sure they have heard that Almost no one liked Their second game. So while Im pretty darn sure DX3 is gonna be better than DX2 im not sure if it
    could ever compare to DX1. The Only game that has ever wow'ed me anywhere near as good as DX1 is Bioshock but After I played it and got almost all of the achivements I kinda put it down for like...forever.

So it doesn't have the replay value that DX had.

Something I too whom have noticed. It seems like just about everyone here Truely is a real fan of Deus Ex. If this were mearly a forum of a bunch of
    children wanting a game thats like Gears of War meets Bioshock and GTA I don't think any of US would be here right now. It's been made clear that everyone here want's the game to be the same if not better than DX1.

So im pretty sure we are all here and wanting the same thing. The true ressurrection of one of our (or in my case THE) most beloved experiances we
    spent on our Computers. Although it may be alot to ask for since in the video game world rarely ever changes and there is maybe 1 or 2 video game series that has every been brough back after it declined in any possible way.Yes Im thinking about you Dynasty warriors,Sonic the Hedgehog and Tenchu series.

I just hope that Deus Ex will not follow the downward plunge that these series has made. When a series goes plain and cannot offer anything new
    or when they make a bad game it ussual y plunges the series into a pit it
    can never get out of due to the developers. So I am hoping that Eidos
    can pull it together and make DX3 great in all the same ways that made DX1 so great. This is something im sure we all want!

Getting Down to Why I Liked the Original

Originally Posted by Vasarto
    So what you are saying is that in Number 2 Invisible war they just wanted to make a quick buck and make Deus Ex into a quick brand name series with little or no effort in making it just like its last one.
    I was just totally speculating. I was actually thinking of ideas from philosophy texts that I had read and then applying them to my experience with these games. Still, I think it is pretty clear that they took the second game in a different direction. If my memory serves me correct, I remember feeling (at the end of Invisible War) that they had totally depoliticized the game. Not that the first one was all that radical, but I had anticipated that that aspect would be developed in the sequel.

I liked playing Invisible Wars ok. It did have a lot in common with the original and my nostalgia for the first one kept me pleased throughout. It's just so hard to explain why I loved the first one so much - but I'll try: When I played this game I had only had a computer for a few months. I had played Thief and Tomb Raider and that was about it. When I played Deus Ex, it just blew me away. This was 7 years ago. To me Deus Ex offered a glimpse into the possibility of virtual reality, of a totally immersive fantasy world that catered to my own most personal desires: the storyline's suspense was based around the possibility of an unveiling of the answers to serious questions about identity and society. It really fed off your desire to truly know yourself and understand your world.

That effect can be reproduced in one of two ways. One way would be to simply have a suspense based storyline. The other way would be to include that other ingredient: the relevance of the story to our experience of the world today. But it would have to be fresh. The only way it could be is if they hire really smart writers who can recreate the same questions that Deus Ex raised while framing them in a way that speaks directly to the very important political events that have been unfolding over the last 7 years. It would require being frank and fair, showing the situation in its entirety.

Originally Posted by Vasarto
    So I am hoping that Eidos
    can pull it together and make DX3 great in all the same ways that made DX1 so great. This is something im sure we all want!

Just make it faithful and make it good, please.

I think the pressure on this team is already insane and we don't need to give them any more. I'm a huge Deus Ex fan, played both games over ten times, but demands are one thing and we're getting insane. I actually saw a thread with a request for rollerblading in it for sake.

Originally Posted by Conspiracy Theorist
    I liked playing Invisible Wars ok. It did have a lot in common with the original and my nostalgia for the first one kept me pleased throughout. It's just so hard to explain why I loved the first one so much - but I'll try: When I played this game I had only had a computer for a few months. I had played Thief and Tomb Raider and that was about it. When I played Deus Ex, it just blew me away. This was 7 years ago. To me Deus Ex offered a glimpse into the possibility of virtual reality, of a totally immersive fantasy world that catered to my own most personal desires: the storyline's suspense was based around the possibility of an unveiling of the answers to serious questions about identity and society. It really fed off your desire to truly know yourself and understand your world.
    I agree with you on this, but for me it was somethign more
    i got into deus ex really late compared to most other fans, DX:IW came free with my PC when i got it, i played it a little and thought it nothing special, after about another year or 2, i played it through and thought it was ok, i asked people if they had played deus ex, someone said yes, thinking i meant the first, that was the first i knew of the origonal DX

for me it was good because of the characters, and because it was so different, even in 2005-2006 when i first played it i could see that it was a special game, the characters felt real, not like in the second one, where after saying high to the other trainees you were supposed to suddenly have a bond with them and care what they were doing, in DX everyone you met you built a bond with.

i really likes paul, he seemed the most real (until he disapeared after saving him) he felt like your brother, offering advice, then when he turned against you i was so confused i couldnt decide wether to kill lebadev, anna did it instead :P

it wasnt just that though, in terms of games it was almost a life simulator, (if your life is being a secret agent for a corrupt government office) with conspiricies and action thrown in. lots of actions had consuquenses, lots of buildings had air vents, lots of security setups had flaws, basicly, not everything in the game was perfect! on too many games ive played, if theres a security setup, you have to go down there, no other way around, no way to avoid it

for me, there wasnt any ONE THING that made Deus Ex what it was, it was such a huge combination that its impossible to see what it is, like a painting, its really hard to see the individual strokes, all the work put in, all the things the artist did, all the things that complement each other to make it great, you can just see the finished picture and maybe a couple of things that made the painting great, and just like a painting, everyone will like, and dislike, different things about it

sorry if i seem to be looking too deep into it, or if i seem insincere (bad speller sorry guys n' gals) but this is truley how i feel, im loking to buy a second copy, just in case my first one stops working :P

finally, im young by deus ex fan standards (in 16, 17 this year in september) and i know i am, but this game is so great i think if everyone is given the chance to play it, they will all find points they like about it, and at least 90% will love it