Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: theories on Deus Ex 3 storylines

theories on Deus Ex 3 storylines

theories on Deus Ex 3 storylines

These are my theories on possible storylines for the new game. If theres already a thread like this Im sorry but I couldnt find one.

PREQUEL IDEAS

1) You play as some aug mech broad like anna navarro name emilie or however the name is spelled in the trailer. Plausible but probably a let down for hardcore deus ex fans.

2) You follow the beginnings of Paul Dentons role in UNATCO. Although he was kind of a wuss it'd be interesting because the game play would probably involve a lot of stealth and trying to stay under the radar of UNATCO. It'd also lead right into the first game which would please fans that didnt like the option of multiple endings.

3) The "Halo 2" theory. You take turns playing as both characters. Possibly starting out with both of them being like JC in the first game and them both coming to realize the real agenda of UNATCO. Would most likely end with the aug mech broad being fragged.

SEQUEL IDEAS

1) Only reason for a sequel would be if you played as Alex (yes I liked Invisible War. No where near as good as the first but it was still enjoyable) and it took place in the storyline of the Omar. Desolate earth and fighting Omar and probably Templar because they're harder to get rid of then crotch crabs. That'd be tits!

My theories for the new game. Id like to see other peoples theories on the subject

Originally Posted by evandevine
    3) The "Halo 2" theory. You take turns playing as both characters. Possibly starting out with both of them being like JC in the first game and them both coming to realize the real agenda of UNATCO. Would most likely end with the aug mech broad being fragged.
    A "Halo 2" theory would be more like playing as one of the Dentons and Agent Sherman IMO. :P

Ive heard it been said that only the Illuminati ending of Invisible War would make a good sequel. Personally, I think a game made from the Denton / Great Advance ending would be boring (everybody is biomodded, so youd just be Joe Average), the Omar ending would be too.... wierd, the Illuminati ending would be good, but personally, if there was a sequel, Id like to see it from the Templar ending.

With the Templars religious totalitarianism, the world would plunge back into a gritty dystopia a la DX 1, and one would assume you would be the first (or one of the first) biomodded agents created as part of a resistance against the Tempars. You'd be 'special' again :P

Originally Posted by Azrepheal
    With the Templars religious totalitarianism, the world would plunge back into a gritty dystopia a la DX 1, and one would assume you would be the first (or one of the first) biomodded agents created as part of a resistance against the Tempars. You'd be 'special' again :P
    Although I don't see it actually happening in the next DX (most likely going to be a prequel), that's actually a damn good idea for a sequel; far better than most of the scenarios I've read. I didn't even consider that angle when I thought of ideas for a sequel. Kudos.

Originally Posted by IcarusIsLookingForYou
    Although I don't see it actually happening in the next DX (most likely going to be a prequel), that's actually a damn good idea for a sequel; far better than most of the scenarios I've read. I didn't even consider that angle when I thought of ideas for a sequel. Kudos.
    Cheers, IILFY. I agree - a prequel is far more likely, but that idea popped into my head as a possible sequel. In all honesty, I think I would prefere a prequel - one of my problems with DX:IW was that it was too.... alien. The first one was futuristic, sure, but it was a world I still recognised - even the 'high-tech' labs and secret bases looked 'real'. IW... I dont know. There was something about it - even the 'run down brick building' areas were too shiny, a little too clean. IMO it took away some of the grittyness and realism.

Anyhow, back on-topic - yes, if it is a sequel, being a resistance group against the templars would be my ideal setting (with other groups secretted away - such as the Illuminati, Denton-follows, hell even MJ12 - wanting you to bring down the Templars so THEY can have another shot at what they want - maybe even splinter Templar groups wanting to use your 'abominable modifications' so they can seize power from their brothers)

If (as is far more likely) a prequel is in the works - id like a more gritty realistic setting, characters from DX1 (Anna, Gunther, Carter, Beth DuClare perhaps - maybe even DeBeers, depending on when its set) and in terms of story.. I dunno. Something about controlling the masses, obviously. Perhaps theres a certin threat that would need to be dealt with, and certain members of the Illuminati feel that one way would be better, while others feel another way would (ie the beginnings of a split, the origins of MJ12)

Speaking of which - while MJ12 may just be a name, the way they are sometimes referred to (The Twelve Who Rule) leads me to believe that there were originally 12 members of the Illuminati who split off. Obviously Bob Page, and while its not set in stone that they were of the original 12, perhaps Walton Simons and Maggie Chow. Itd be nice to see the other members (if the story involves the MJ12 origins, obviously)

<Sigh> its going to be a looong year

Originally Posted by Azrepheal
    Cheers, IILFY. I agree - a prequel is far more likely, but that idea popped into my head as a possible sequel. In all honesty, I think I would prefere a prequel - one of my problems with DX:IW was that it was too.... alien. The first one was futuristic, sure, but it was a world I still recognised - even the 'high-tech' labs and secret bases looked 'real'. IW... I dont know. There was something about it - even the 'run down brick building' areas were too shiny, a little too clean. IMO it took away some of the grittyness and realism.
    Exactly! The world in DX was a world that was just on the cusp of all those incredible technological breakthroughs present in IW. It definitely hits closer to home than the world in IW. It was also a far more appropriate setting for all of the "detective" work you do.

As far as the probable prequel goes, I have a suspicion we're going to be controlling Paul and the story, as you said, is going to revolve around MJ12's split from the Illuminati and subsequent rise to power through their takeover of the United Nations. A lot of fans have voiced displeasure over this possibility, but I'm all for it. I think one of the best ways Eidos can win back the hearts of DX fans is by reinventing something familiar. Who knows, if the devs actually nail this and make a great game, a true sequel later on will be that much sweeter.

Exactly! The world in DX was a world that was just on the cusp of all those incredible technological breakthroughs present in IW. It definitely hits closer to home than the world in IW. It was also a far more appropriate setting for all of the "detective" work you do.

As far as the probable prequel goes, I have a suspicion we're going to be controlling Paul and the story, as you said, is going to revolve around MJ12's split from the Illuminati and subsequent rise to power through their takeover of the United Nations. A lot of fans have voiced displeasure over this possibility, but I'm all for it. I think one of the best ways Eidos can win back the hearts of DX fans is by reinventing something familiar. Who knows, if the devs actually nail this and make a great game, a true sequel later on will be that much sweeter.
    Mmm...
    The technology of the "fetus" looks more advanced than a mech-aug like Gunther or Anna. And remember; it's a fetus. Mechs chose augmentation as adults. Straight-Up Hardware; nothing biological.
    And...the Dentons were "programmed" to believe they were kids once and that they had a childhood. You couldn't pull that off with a bunch of 'The Matrix'-style interfaces all over thier bodies. "Mom, what's this port on the back of my neck for"? Doesn't jive.

I just don't see a prequel based on the "information" we have so far. And to be honest; I don't want one.
    I stand by my original Illuminati as Canon ending for IW, with perhaps some diversion-style twist that keeps the Dentons alive, yet out on the fringes.
    If that's the case, get ready to play JC like you've never played him before.
    Remember; even without the interface that made all of mankind in to a JC/Helios, JC had wicked-strange new skills. The ability to build anything from his mind.
    Sound Good? I'm in.

Big Grin

Originally Posted by lightbringerrr
    Mmm...
    The technology of the "fetus" looks more advanced than a mech-aug like Gunther or Anna. And remember; it's a fetus. Mechs chose augmentation as adults. Straight-Up Hardware; nothing biological.
    And...the Dentons were "programmed" to believe they were kids once and that they had a childhood. You couldn't pull that off with a bunch of 'The Matrix'-style interfaces all over thier bodies. "Mom, what's this port on the back of my neck for"? Doesn't jive.

I just don't see a prequel based on the "information" we have so far. And to be honest; I don't want one.
    I stand by my original Illuminati as Canon ending for IW, with perhaps some diversion-style twist that keeps the Dentons alive, yet out on the fringes.
    If that's the case, get ready to play JC like you've never played him before.
    Remember; even without the interface that made all of mankind in to a JC/Helios, JC had wicked-strange new skills. The ability to build anything from his mind.
    Sound Good? I'm in.
    HEAR HEAR to that mate. I know a prequel would be cool to the hardcore gamers of the series. But for everyone else who "just" played one or both of the games,like myself, we really don't give crap about why MJ12 split from the Illuminati or how Paul stayed under the radar of UNATCO. Because, lets face it folks, we know that MJ12 split and are finished off, Paul did not get captured by UNATCO, JC merged with HELIOS, and Alex made a decision that changed the fate of humanity. Here's another thing to think about, if it's a prequel involving Paul and the MJ12, you already know how it's going to end. Now how fun of a game would that be. It's like knowing when, where, and how you're going to die. NO FUN!!!

I think that a cross of the Illuminati and Templar ending would be the ideal sequel. Kind of like how they combined the endings of DX in IW.(Here's what I think it's going to be) The Illuminati have taken control of the biomod technology, but the Templars have stolen it and crashed that space shuttle it was on. The Templars have had a Coup D`etat and the new leader is using the technology to make their own Denton's to take over the world. Since they have the technology, the Illuminati are forced to create a new Biomod system that is born entirely of the nanotechnolgy, ie. The Fetus in the video, and you are now the new Super Denton who has to root out the Templar Bio-Insurgents who are hell bent on world domination. But along the way you meet back up with the new Apostle Corp, JC has been able to rebuild himself with his new powers. You know, something along those lines.

I know your all going to hate me because I made this way to damn long. But, you can't say that won't make for a kick ass sequel to DX and IW.

Peace out yall

After reading it the templar sequel idea seems like probably the coolest idea for the next game. I have a feeling though that with this game its going to end up being a cloverfield-esque viral campaign until the game comes out and Im going to be pulling my freaking hair out trying to figure out what the storyline is about.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

After reading it the templar sequel idea seems like probably the coolest idea for the next game. I have a feeling though that with this game its going to end up being a cloverfield-esque viral campaign until the game comes out and Im going to be pulling my freaking hair out trying to figure out what the storyline is about.
    Don't give them any ideas!!!!!
    BAD EVANDEVINE; NO GAMING FOR YOU FOR A WEEK!!!

This is why we exist, this what we were made for.

I know your all going to hate me because I made this way to damn long. But, you can't say that won't make for a kick ass sequel to DX and IW.

Not at all. It's fun to get in there and try to figure out where everything is headed, especially at this point because we have not a solid statement or clue about much of anything.

Now to counter:

I just don't see the Templars being a part of this. If we assume the Illuminati ending as canon, you can also assume that Dumier, Nicolette, and Alex went right to work wiping them out.
    I had stated in an older post that the Templars and the Order were about as ancillary a group of characters as you could find for Invisible War, and I still stand by it.
    Also, I think we'll be seeing a return to playing JC, and at times maybe even Alex or Paul, ala KOTOR.
    The reason I believe this is because many fans were disappointed at having to play a diffrent character, Denton-Clone or not.
    The fact that the teaser uses the original theme from DX1 instead of something else, points strongly to this scenario.
    In any case, it will be very exciting to watch all of this unfold until we finally get to the truth. Sorta' makes me feel like I did while speculating and waiting for Episode III.
    Peace.

IM SORRY IM SORRY!!!!

I personally dont want to play as JC in the next game. If its a sequel Id like to play as Alex and have them develop his character more. Prehaps make him more of a freedom fighter type character thats leading a resistance against the Templars or going back to my previous comment against the Omar. If its a prequel Id like to play as a new character with totally different characteristics from Paul and JC.

The only reason I dont want to play as JC is that his role in IW just left a bad taste in my mouth. He went from this epic bad ass to a pompous Bill Gates with sunglasses character.

Overall the story just needs revamped. DX1 was epic one of my favorite games of all time. IW had its highs and lows but over all I wouldnt want it excluded from the cannon. I just want the developers to take this game to the next level and make it on par or maybe some how better than the first one.

The game has already passed proof of concept, so I think it's safe to assume the devs already know what direction they're going in storywise. I highly doubt someone from the team is going to be so inspired by one of our "theories" that he's going to recommend changing the direction they're already going in.

whew!!!

The game has already passed proof of concept, so I think it's safe to assume the devs already know what direction they're going in storywise. I highly doubt someone from the team is going to be so inspired by one of our "theories" that he's going to recommend changing the direction they're already going in.
    That's fantastic news; thanks.

This thread should probably be closed then. Its nonsense and Im sorry for posting it

This thread should probably be closed then. Its nonsense and Im sorry for posting it
    No reason to be sorry, evan. We can still speculate regardless.

Im pumped

I think that they deserve to make the game similar to the first in that they bring back the skill points and original life-like scenery they had in the beginning. IW was decent, but like someone mentioned, just a little too futuristic!

Whether it be a sequel or prequel, i think they should make this game a whole lot darker and more sinister!

Originally Posted by thobis
    I think that they deserve to make the game similar to the first in that they bring back the skill points and original life-like scenery they had in the beginning. IW was decent, but like someone mentioned, just a little too futuristic!

Whether it be a sequel or prequel, i think they should make this game a whole lot darker and more sinister!
    I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'll actually defend IW on some of those points. I thought it was dark and sinister enough, the plot was just convoluted and a little silly. As far as the futuristic locales, it makes sense when you consider the time that has passed since the first one and the theory of how technology exponentially grows over the years. I think its easier to relate to the locales in DX because it hits closer to home with us. My beef with IW was the small locations and gameplay that barely resembled the original.

But hey, it looks like it's going to be a prequel anyway, so it looks like you're going to get your wish in at least that aspect. Wish I could say I'm pumped, but I've got my fingers crossed.

2) You follow the beginnings of Paul Dentons role in UNATCO. Although he was kind of a wuss it'd be interesting because the game play would probably involve a lot of stealth and trying to stay under the radar of UNATCO. It'd also lead right into the first game which would please fans that didnt like the option of multiple endings.

That would suck. I dont know why people think playing Paul Denton would be a good idea. Theres pretty much more nothing to learn! boooorrrring.

If it were a prequal, it would have to be with a new character

Originally Posted by Edx
    That would suck. I dont know why people think playing Paul Denton would be a good idea. Theres pretty much more nothing to learn! boooorrrring.

If it were a prequal, it would have to be with a new character
    agreed...

I want a fresh character, not the old ones. I'd like to have some cross-references to DX1+2 though...

JC triggers the collapse, and you are a privately commisioned Aug from another country where Versalife have some serious competition. You find your self as a nanoaugmented agent, just like before, and the game focuses around rebuilding the world. Endings could include helping reinstate global communication, helping JC to anihilate a totalitarian group who are only trying to get it back up to take it over before someone else has the chance, triggering an all out nuclear holocaust to end it all, or helping the illuminati keep their communications up but the rest of the world in the dark, giving them ultimate power. In IW I just had to question why it went so harmlessly until a network was back up. If I were in that situation, I'd start building a nuclear bunker, because people would be able to get away with anything as long as the effects weren't local.

I want a fresh character, not the old ones. I'd like to have some cross-references to DX1+2 though...
    Here's a suggestion: Bob Page. How he came to the Illuminati and how he broke off, stuff like that. How he became a bloodthirsty megalomaniac.

Another setting I'd like to see is the Collapse, especially something to do with how the Omar were created.

Originally Posted by EpeSeta
    Here's a suggestion: Bob Page. How he came to the Illuminati and how he broke off, stuff like that. How he became a bloodthirsty megalomaniac.

Another setting I'd like to see is the Collapse, especially something to do with how the Omar were created.
    well... Bob isn't so 'fresh' anymore, don't you think? Everyone knows his fate, so it is kind of pointless to have him as a protagonist who has the chance to decide which way to go...

I'd like to have him as an important charakter if it's really a prequel... maybe he's your 'teacher' and you may choose to follow his designs or to betray him and then fight for peace, justice, your own plans of world domination...?

Originally Posted by mouse
    well... Bob isn't so 'fresh' anymore, don't you think? Everyone knows his fate, so it is kind of pointless to have him as a protagonist who has the chance to decide which way to go...

I'd like to have him as an important charakter if it's really a prequel... maybe he's your 'teacher' and you may choose to follow his designs or to betray him and then fight for peace, justice, your own plans of world domination...?
    I actually that EpeSeta meant for Bob Page to be a character, rather than a protagonist; maybe this could be done later, in say, Dues Ex: Alter Ego, or something.

As for your idea of initially being Bob Page's protege, and subsequently fighting for peace, that sounds to me a lot like Paul Denton (Walton Simons might have been better, but he never comes around), though I am not too sure whether Bob page and Paul Denton had any personal interaction.

I like the idea of playing as Paul Denton, myself. Perhaps his choices led to the location of the crash of the lunar mining vessel (or was that a space station) in DX1? I am sure something could be done to give players a choice as to the game's endings, even if that means the game has to end a year before the events in DX1. Just my personal bias.

How about the anti Jc idea ? your as in invisible war. student etc but born and bred to take jc/paul whoever down ? kinda the opposite of what has been done in the previous Deus Ex's ???

Page 1 of 2 12 Last