Thread: Lengthening Lara's Life Bar

Lengthening Lara's Life Bar

I started this thread because of the healing thread and something I thought of while replying in the secret missions thread.

What do you think of lengthening Lara's life bar as the game progresses?

There's been lots of talk of limiting health picks ups to increase a challenge, but a stockpile of medis does give a player a certain amount of freedom to try certain things one might not try if Lara's health were an issue. Since the exploration is key, I don't want to feel limited by lack of health to try things.

But Lara's health bar has always been a constant in a game. What if one could increase Lara's health throughout the game by in-game accomplishments? Would that make limiting health pick ups more interesting? Is it too un-Tomb Raider?

Cool idea
    and the only thing i consider to be Un-Tomb Raider is that if they make it a First Person shooter

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Since the exploration is key, I don't want to feel limited by lack of health to try things.
    Somehow, I think that a flexible save system is more important here than the health bar length.

Cool

I've never bothered the lifebalk having the same length for the whole game..
    But I guess I won't mind if it's increasing

How do you want it to be increased?
    - After every level it will get 10% longer (or something like that)
    - that is depants on the amount of artifacts you have collected?
    - Or just like in Zelda: you have to find a couple of pieces of one artifact which will give you more health

It could work, anyway.. so long you're not forced to increase your healthbar, just like you had to get stronger al the time in AOD. I won't like that

Wess~Gamer

Test your luck.. Click on one of the four smileys!

Excellent points. I agree the old "save whenever you want" system reduces the need for a longer life bar and even tons of medipaks. And I would never want anything like the ridiculous "I think I'm strong enough to move that box" from AOD.

Which really turns medipaks into merely something to find--something I love about TR. Finding stuff. I don't care what it is really, although useful items like ammo and weapons pwn "collectibles" that accumulate toward an end reward (unless the end reward is a totally cool unlockable like a minigame or extra level.)

Question

I started this thread because of the healing thread and something I thought of while replying in the secret missions thread.

What do you think of lengthening Lara's life bar as the game progresses?

There's been lots of talk of limiting health picks ups to increase a challenge, but a stockpile of medis does give a player a certain amount of freedom to try certain things one might not try if Lara's health were an issue. Since the exploration is key, I don't want to feel limited by lack of health to try things.

But Lara's health bar has always been a constant in a game. What if one could increase Lara's health throughout the game by in-game accomplishments? Would that make limiting health pick ups more interesting? Is it too un-Tomb Raider?
    well, i guess CD must change the way damage is calculated. what i mean is to make damage changes on the health bar is as little as possible so that to make the gamer to worry about other things instead of moving like crazy to avoid animals and enemies attacks.
    Lara, whatever you do, where ever you go, there is no one like you left.

Lisa, you do come up with some excellent points and I salute you. I never thought of this until I read your post and I see what you mean, extending the health bar will give more freedom but it will also prevent this ; Hold x
    Press O, R1... Lemme tell you a story, I recently played TRIV and i was playing a level with them floating fire things. Now i saved it when I had a tiny bit of health not knowing that I would be soon facing those little fire things. (I had just killed some big monster lol) Right so as soon as I moved one step a fire thing would come from my side and kill me. Now I didn't want to start again I only had 1 profile so I had to use cheats.. Now I hate using cheats (Unless I unlocked them ) Although this is a bit irrelevant I just though I should metion this because the sure can screw up your tomb raider profile.

Now coming onto the saving point. The only way to settle this is by being given a choice wether you want crystal saving, checkpoints or were ever you want. The only way I would really be happy and we should be able to change it whenever we want seeing as we might want to change it and now start a new game.

You gave some real good points Lisa and i'm off to post a poll of saving opinions Off I go goodbye

P.S. Happy mothers/Womans day.
    No Comment.

Quote Originally Posted by William Croft View Post
    P.S. Happy mothers/Womans day.
    OMG, You scared me!
    I thought I forgot it!!!

But apperentely our motherdays are on different dates

I don't know it reminds me off PoP sort of becuase his health bar went up when you found some special water? But, i just don't know yet. When i come up with a proper answer i'll be sure to come back with one but at this moment im more like 40% yeah it would be ok but 60% No...
    Signitures are cool.... But so are pictures

While we're on the topic of increasing bars, how about that breath bar? Swimming used to be fun in the old games, now it's a panic-stricken race against the clock while battling awkward controls. The decreased breath bar also means the underwater areas have, by necessity, become a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar The Dark View Post
    While we're on the topic of increasing bars, how about that breath bar? Swimming used to be fun in the old games, now it's a panic-stricken race against the clock while battling awkward controls. The decreased breath bar also means the underwater areas have, by necessity, become a bit smaller.
    I was going to state this put then i thought it woulda been off topic but since you've mentioned it why not? You are to right. Beggining of Legend first time you swin you barely make it out alive.. Why did they change it AoD it was fine and left you time to explore, now you barely make it out let alone 'explore'. I think they should lengthen it again its fun to xplore to place instead of having to rush.

*EDIT*: 900th post
    No Comment.

Isn't that kinda what happened in AOD? If Lara did something, found something, then she was rewarded with a 'power up'. That was rather tedious and sort of defeats the object of having her life go down if she injures herself. If she is shot, or if she has a tumble, then her health goes down. How would you implement her life bar increasing and lasting longer? Yes it would eliminate the need for health packs, but how would it work?

Maybe I have misunderstood? I'm not saying no to the idea, just a bit confused by it.

I don't think they were powerups in the usual sense. I think she just "became" stronger as the game progressed (and commented aloud about it. ) It was tedious.

Hijacking my own thread but . . .

Now what if Lara's abilities could be upgraded? Higher jump, farther jump, longer breath bar, better equipment (not the boring "upgrades" of Legend, mind you, but really BETTER equipment.) Maybe we could earn/purchase a reverse roll, backflip or other cool move.

I would never want RPG type leveling-up, but upgrading could add new strategies, and make replay more interesting.

The health bar has never stopped me doing something likely to get Lara killed, that is why you save the game before trying something dangerous. Checkpoints or save crystals might mean you have to replay a bit extra if it did not work out or if you lost to much health, but it certainly never stopped me from doing anything.

Now what if Lara's abilities could be upgraded? Higher jump, farther jump,
    Hmmmm.... I don't know. I think that starts to make it a bit too much like Super Mario. Not that I don't enjoy Super Mario, but it's a different thing, and I'm not sure TR and SM should mix. I don't want Lara eating mushrooms to bust down walls and leap tall obstacles.

No no, nothing like that, but I was thinking upgraded abilities might could mean the ability to explore new areas, either later in the game or on replay.

I mean, if going through the game again in a different outfit is "fun," imagine if you could reach that ledge you couldn't before? It could open up a whole new area.

No no, nothing like that, but I was thinking upgraded abilities might could mean the ability to explore new areas, either later in the game or on replay.

I mean, if going through the game again in a different outfit is "fun," imagine if you could reach that ledge you couldn't before? It could open up a whole new area.

Oh, ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I agree that would be more fun than dressing her in a new outfit (I never really saw the point in that), but from a level design standpoint, it may make things very difficult for the programmers. They would have to take into account two different sets of abilities. Normally, when they design a level, they know exactly how far/high Lara can jump, and they design accordingly. If she then had the ability to jump higher/further, they would always have to also take that into account whenever designing a platforming sequence.

IF the player could control how high/far she jumped, it wouldn't be a problem. But if she always jumped higher and further after getting this reward/bonus/whatever, it would make some platforming sequences impossible. For example, say there was a sequence where she had to jump from the top of one pillar to the top of another. Now, with her enhanced abilities, she suddenly jumps further, and she would overshoot the second pillar. So the designers would have to create an alternative way around that she could use when she has this extra power. Maybe instead of jumping to the second pillar, she could jump up and reach a hanging bar that was previously too high for her, and she could go hand-over-hand to the second pillar from the hanging bar.

As a player, of course, I'd love it that sort of variety because it would make the game very replayable, but from a design perspective, it could be overwhelming to work out alternatives to each platforming sequence. I don't know. If they could do it, then yeah, it'd be very cool.