Thread: Was JC Denton raised as a normal child, or cloned about 1-3 years before DX?

Was JC Denton raised as a normal child, or cloned about 1-3 years before DX?

Was JC Denton raised as a normal child, or cloned about 1-3 years before DX?

Read the postmortem DX thread article. Near the end somewhere you'll notice that the game devs clearly had 2 possible origins for JC, but somehow ended up not eliminating one in the game.

There is a TON of evidence to support that JC is a clone of Paul, and at the time of DX is about one year old. His and Paul's memories are implanted and false.

But then there is also evidence to suggest that he was raised with Paul by parents working for MJ12 (not real parents of course), and JC went to Swiss school.

So IF DX3 is a prequel, which will it be?

They're both the same model of nano-augmented agent. Two product of the same model. But Paul was made operational before JC so we can think JC as Paul successor.

The datacube in Area 51 says: "assigned birth date - March 17, 2029"
    This is supported by the fact Morpheus says JC is 23. [ by Wiki ]

So IMO, he's actually 23 years old and was raised "normally".

I bet DX3 will be about Paul's messed assassination of Tong. The assignment he talks about when we arrive in Liberty island for the first time. There were quite a few secrets about that job he had. How he turned faces and went working with the NSF, how he met with Chad Dumier (MJ12 would have never allowed Paul to have such frequentations so how did he meet him?). How he got in contact with that Chinese girl (Forgot her name). What Lebedev told him about himself and the nano-augmented agent. And so on..

The DX Bible says that JC was cloned from Paul, although there is an 11 year age gap between them. He was raised normally and went to a Swiss school. In the commentary there's no mention that they decided to change how JC was born so I'd assume this to be "true."

Read the bottom bit of the article I mentioned. It shows all of the datacubes/emails found in DX. Towards the end of the game, you find a TON of emails and datacubes saying that JC is cloned directly from Paul and is about 1-2 years old. All of his memories are false.

This 'seems' to be the version of JC's history that Ion Storm decided to cut out of the game, I think they just missed a few loose ends with those datacubes.

Originally Posted by Lo Bruto
    The datacube in Area 51 says: "assigned birth date - March 17, 2029"
    This is supported by the fact Morpheus says JC is 23. [ by Wiki ]

So IMO, he's actually 23 years old and was raised "normally".
    The imperative word being assigned here. I gather we interpret it differently.

Originally Posted by Boiny Bunny
    Read the bottom bit of the article I mentioned. It shows all of the datacubes/emails found in DX. Towards the end of the game, you find a TON of emails and datacubes saying that JC is cloned directly from Paul and is about 1-2 years old. All of his memories are false.

This 'seems' to be the version of JC's history that Ion Storm decided to cut out of the game, I think they just missed a few loose ends with those datacubes.
    That could be it, but I consider the bible to be the "truth" since it was released in '02, which was after the postmortem in late '00, so I believe the DX Bible "trumps" the postmortem (I just loovvve reading it ).

plus the DX bible is put together from interviews with the staff, in game information, and back story information from the designers. its not just speculation, all of it just didn't make it into the game.

Originally Posted by jd10013
    plus the DX bible is put together from interviews with the staff, in game information, and back story information from the designers. its not just speculation, all of it just didn't make it into the game.
    Just read the bible, but it's still canon in DX Universe? You know... years have passed.

Just read the bible, but it's still canon in DX Universe? You know... years have passed.

yes, because most of it is the backstory the devs wrote before they started making the game.

Originally Posted by jd10013
    yes, because most of it is the backstory the devs wrote before they started making the game.
    Yea, the bible was basically their original design doc for the game.

To believe that JC is a clone anyway means we ignore the important fact the JC Denton is merely a codename - It's an alias. While we fathom that he does have DNA in common with Paul is to ignore that they are family and that there are other possibilites. There could be level of conspiracy where MJ12 Versalife suppresses psionic potential in people. Psionics was mentioned in Versalife Hong Kong at several points with JC being described as someone with the gift and an unexplored psionics division accused of reading minds. It would also mean we don't believe in aliens to start with. The albino is a classic alien right out of popular myth - It's someone who came here amoung us. When reading files in Area 51 we must bear in mind that there were concerns mentioned that they have been hacked or there is a security gap. Something like the babbling Icarus could have placed misinformation in the forms of emails throughout the network. JC Denton wasn't to understand he was the entity discussed as JC Denton and MJ12 operative technitions may have lacked the security clearance to be involved in him as a being. Finally those cloning tanks might not be cloning tanks they might be healing tanks, or a hacker or perhaps virus simply placed his name on someone elses tank as a deception.

only if you ignore what the developers have said/written.

It’s a combination of both, really.

In my opinion, here’s how it went:

The Bible tells us JC was a clone of Paul. He is an exact gene-by-gene duplicate because the device known as the Infolink requires a sweet-spot in the brain to work that VARIES from person to person. They made several clones of the perfect biological test subject, Paul, in order to find said sweet spot, and the fact that JC has one, and that it is functioning is PROOF that he is a living breathing replica of codename Paul Denton.

I do not think, however, that JC was in the tube the entire time. The Bible tells us that JC was implanted in embryo form into their mother, which I also believe. From there, Paul and JC had somewhat of a life, DID grow up, had childhoods, and the likes.

Paul then underwent nanoimplantation STAGE 2. As in, he went back into "the tube" while the nanites which had been carefully constructed and tested to work within his immune system were implanted, the info link connected, and the various suites of augmentations installed. (Think Bob Page at Area 51)

I do not think Paul could have lived his life with the augmentations all ready installed. As his body developed, he would have had to undergo several operations to ensure the augs developed within his body. His muscular and skeletal structure just wasn't developed enough to have those augmentations installed and working correctly. I feel a second stage, AFTER maturity, would be the best, easiest, and most cost effective way to augment a human being per the results in the game.

JC underwent a similar trial years after Paul, but recent data collected from Paul's more flamboyant and less orderly behavior patterns provided a perfect opportunity to test brain engram altering techniques also in development by MJ12 (See Bible.)

I believe JC underwent a second treatment, removing certain parts of his memory, if not small areas of his brain as well, to test-drive the early stages of memory implantation. From this we get the general sort of malaise JC presents us with in game. He seems to have a general understanding of his life, but large gaps and irregularities seem to crop up. For example his clash with Paul about the nature of his father, his inability to know exactly how his childhood progressed, and his notions that he was both born, and engineered.

JC was then expunged from the tube, given a briefing on his awesomeness, put through the gauntlet, and then shipped off to NY to stop the big bad NSF.

As a side effect of this, We get a chance to set the "real" name of JC to be whatever we want. JC probably doesn't even remember it. His real name is trivial now that his parents are dead. The only thing that matters, his biological connection to Paul, is still represented in their codenames.

On a more realistic note, it's worth pointing out that this is a GAME. The fact that you can name your character while still having NPCs refer to you by name in audio is just a brilliant move on the developers part. We should take it for what it is, just another bit of immersion in an all ready incredibly immersive game!

All of this true? Eh. To me, it's the most logical way to make sense of the data in the game AND in the Bible, and it still fits and works well in the DX universe.

Feel free to poke holes in it, the best part about DX fans is their intelligence!

By 'assigned birth date', I reckon it just means that that was the date JC was supposed to be born. They would have controlled his birth, of course...

The only hole in the argument is that in area 51 at the end of DX, all the clones in the tubes (alex included) are full grown. Judging by that, it doesn't appear that any of the clones were brought out at birth then raised.