Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... Last

Thread: Weapon suggestions

Weapon suggestions

Weapon suggestions

Even though the original DX is dated graphically one can only but marvel at the originality of the weapons at your disposal. Comapared to the games we were playing when and after DX1 came out, the weapons were amazing. The upgrade and skill system also allowed one to take what may seem like a fairly standard pistol and turn into a deadly silenced 'sniper rifle' type pistol. It was great. The fact that one could become lethal with the smallest of weapons is what added to JC's 'coolness'. Then, there was the beautiful crossbow, the assault rifle (with 20mm HE ammo which was the best), the shotgun, which, if loaded with sabot rounds was extremely powerful, against armoured units. It was a fantastic game, and this can be partly (which, in the scope of the game's brilliance, is massively) associated with the clever weapon design and the way they were linked to skills and the way one could modify them.

My favourite weapon, which is probably a cliche choice, is of course the GEP gun, which was completely devestating and ultimately one of the coolest weapons in gaming history. (I would say that the next in line would have to be the rail gun from red faction ). I really missed the GEP gun in DX2 and I certainly hope that they bring it back. If the game is set too far in the future and technology has advanced, then design an updated model that can do some or other new fancy thing. (maybe have a built in camera - ALA Unreal tournament. Cant remember if it already does so dont lynch me if it does)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the weapons are ifinitely important in creating a good game.. The choice of weapons, the way they look and 'feel' as well as how they affect your victim.

Perhaps we could make some suggestions as to what weapons should stay (if older or newer versions depending on if it's a prequel or a sequel) and what new weapons we would like to wield in the next DX...

I'm thinking:

Bring back/keep:

- Throwing knives (maybe have some advanced precision aiming system where it zooms in on the enemy where you, depending on your skill level, can select a specific hit location)
    - Dragon's tooth sword or equivalent (Nuff said)
    - Stealth pistol (The super agent's silent friend)
    - Wrist mounted crossbow (3 Ammo types again please. Or 4 )
    - GEP gun (mentioned before)

New ideas:

- Dual pistols (for the more action orientated (rambo) player)
    - Riot shield (For the cowardly player )
    - Harpoon (for large/dangerous underwater levels)
    - Remotely triggered mines
    - Perhaps even deployable mini-turrents

Thats all that I can think of now... any ideas?

I don't have many ideas, but I'm kinda sick of weapons being only something that fires a projectile into a bad guy.

How about a weapon that turns the enemy into radioactive goo and anyone stepping in that goo gets stuck and poisoned. I know, it's yucky.

1.Pistol - the classic choise for any special agent. It should be fully customized with many diffrerent weapon mods just like in dx1, (even with removable silencer this time)
    2. Wrist crosbow (with many different dart types)
    3.A rifle type long range sniping weapon for those long range kills.
    4.Knife - Let me quote Leon. The rifle is the first weapon you learn how to use, because it lets you keep your distance from the client. The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. .
    5. Flamethrower muahaha let them burn!

6. Not really a weapon, but what about proper melee combat with different moves..a self defence moves i mean. I would imagine that trained nano augmented agent should know a thing or two how to take out enemies with bare hands.

I think that melee combat could be a nice touch... but ONLY if it is done properly. It must be fluid and must blend in with the rest of you animations. Perhaps even moves which allow you to disarm an opponent, rendering them defensless as you shoot them with their own gun... quite a few games pulled this off quite nicely. I know that in the original DX on could shoot the gun out of someones hand if you got them in the arm... which was great, and way ahead of it's time.

How about some of these.

Flash Freeze Mine.
    You can place the mine on horizontal or vertical surfaces. It will emit a sonar pulse and if the pulse return is disrupted it'll flash freeze everything within a certain radius.

Ganglia Disruptor
    A short range weapon that sends a quick series of magnetic and sonic waves disrupting neurological systems. Affected targets are temporarily afflicted with drastically altered depth perception and inhibited motor skills. Multiple use effects can stack leading to temporary paralysis and even shut down nervous system functions dealing with respiration and circulatory systems, leading to death.

Hitcher Bolt
    A bolt shot designed to release specialized nano technology that temporarily hijacks sensory relays in organic brain systems. Information received by the target is sent to a monitoring device. The monitoring device can show target body temperature, heart rate, vague visual imagery and sound. The nanites can be set to auto destruct safely or violently leaving the target alive or harming them. Also acts as a tracking device.

Glitch Hitcher Bolt
    Also designed to release specialized nano technology, this hijacks the nervous system and loops all bio-electrical current for a short duration. Target attempts to repeat their physical actions, if unable they will spasm. Also during the hijack their sensory perception is looped, allowing you to walk past them without being noticed, or trick them into thinking you are still somewhere you are not. The nanites can be set to auto destruct safely or violently leaving the target alive or harming them.

Organic Alteration Compound
    This is basically a compound that when applied to organic matter will make it highly volatile and explode under extreme temperatures. It can be applied to multi-organisms or even something as simple as blood. Setting fire to, or freezing the affected target will cause it to explode.

Hellfire Delivery System
    A weapon that fires specially designed projectiles that release gases causing a trail of fire. On contact the rest of the gas is released causing an area of effect fire bomb. The longer the projectile flies before hitting a surface will significantly reduce the AOE fire bomb radius. The fire trail can burn objects close to the trail of the projectile.

Kinetic Force Compound
    A substance that instantly bonds to a surface and eventually disintegrates. It softens inital impacts and then accelerates kinetic energy in the reaction. Bouncing objects off these surfaces will increase their kinetic force causing them to fly faster and hit harder. A Hellfire projectile will not explode against these surfaces, but instead bounce off them.
    You can use it on the floor and jump on it too.
    Using it on a melee weapon will increase it's recoil and decrease it's stopping power.

V.O.I.D system
    3-4 nodes can be placed on surfaces which create a 2 to 3 dimensional field. This field disrupts particle direction and energy magnitude. Visual sensors cannot obtain information past this field, the area appears as actual static, and objects sent through the field become stuck. A thrown grenade, for example, will freeze in the air when it attempts to pass through the field.

Atremis Explosive Device
    A device which can be prepared by identifying targets as friendly or hostile.
    Once the device is thrown it calculates target proximity and modifies it's delivery system to create a blast direction which won't hurt targets marked as friendly. Targets don't need to be NPCs.

DXeXodus please read: Weapons, ammo

That topic was a catch all discussion that hasn't focused on weapon ideas.
    This one is more in depth in the creative department. I would prefer it be separate as it's not asking so many things to be discussed at once.

@ Jordan a: As mentioned by RedFeather 1975, this thread is meant to focus more on the design of new types of weapons and combat devices. Its a bit more in depth than the weapons, ammo thread.

@ Redfeather: Wow... you have some weird stuff going on in your head... but some very interesting stuff nonetheless

I could not sleep and am just passing the time.

Originally Posted by Caradoc
    6. Not really a weapon, but what about proper melee combat with different moves..a self defence moves i mean. I would imagine that trained nano augmented agent should know a thing or two how to take out enemies with bare hands.
    Beating an enemy to death with your bare hands would be pretty bad ass, I must admit.

Redfeather, I think your ideas are too sci fi for Deus Ex, although you should get a job as a weapon designer for games. I'd buy anything which had that much awesome in it.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the riot prod? I'd like to see a similar ammo type for the crossbow, a dart which electrocutes and stuns its target. That would put the tranq dart to shame. It would have to do less over all damage though.

As for grenades, all I can say is: Greasel in a can

One of my mod team members whipped up an explosive cat launcher from a modified GEP gun.

So if you're listening, Eidos Montreal, CAT Launcher= instant win.

-Wildcat

Are these the forums for Deus Ex or Postal?

Of all weapons.... I want the sniper rifle from the first installment back, same with that sawed-off shotgun. Secondary fire could be a cool idea if they weren't as bad as they were in Invisible War (the shotgun for example, had a smoke grenade? as a secondary fire...) or why not being able to melee an opponent, Halo-style. Would fit in nicely with the stealth idea of Deus Ex.

-Skull Gun
    -Orbital Particle Cannon uplink ... heh heh heee

If the game is a prequel, i'd like to see some weapons like the ones we have now... none of the actual named weapons, but look alikes... You know, some weapons designs lasts decades...

If it's a sequel I Hope not to see some over-futuristic ST like laser guns and Energy beams

Originally Posted by Lo Bruto
    If it's a sequel I Hope not to see some over-futuristic ST like laser guns and Energy beams
    Don't worry, they know how much everyone complained about the overly sci fi world in IW, so they'll probably stick with gun-powder based ballistic weaponry.

Also, maybe a railgun weapon mod for some guns, which uses magnets to add more speed to bullets, giving them greater damage. Then again, maybe too sci fi.

I want to purpose some things ,take ideas for other posters that I think be good and some existing weapons

Melee and tools (one handed can be used with a shield
    Knives (Combat knife*, cutter, kitchen knives, throwing knifes*, butcher knife, swiss knife ....)
    Machette, Poignard, Sword, Saber, Katana, Rapier, cimitar*
    Crowbar*
    Batons*
    Screw drivers
    Powered saws (Chainsaws (2 models), Sabre saw, electric saw)
    Saws (Hack saw, Hand saw)
    Abrasive blasters (2 models)
    Drillers (Cordless drills, Electrical drills, Rotary hammers)
    Hammer
    Axe
    Stun prod
    Riot shields², Trash lids
    Nanotech sword
    Extinguisher
    Aerosol gun (( 2 models) pepper spray and other kinds of aerosol)
    Lighter (tokai lighter and zippo (needed if you want smoke or made other usages ))
    Darts
    other hand held objects

Aproximatively 56 objects

Pistols: weapons can be used with a shield or in akimbo mode (depends of your skils levels)
    -Pistols*²+ (5 models)
    -laser pistols (2 models)
    -plasma pistols (2 models)
    -Revolvers (3 models)
    -Twin barrelled pistols (2 models)
    -One handed Machine pistols (3 models)
    -Minicrossbow* and boltcaster+ (1 model each)
    -Flare pistols (2 models)
    -Taser (2 models)

23 items

Carabines and rifles: Weapons like two handed submachine guns, shoguns, and some rifles
    -Compound bow (1 model)
    -Crossbow (2 models)
    -Sawed off shotguns*(2 models)
    -Shotguns+ (4 models)
    -Assault shotguns*(2 models)
    -Submachine guns (3 models)
    -Military and Civilian Rifles (4 models)
    -Sniper rifles*+ (4 models)
    -Assault rifles* (6 models)
    -Laser rifles (3 models)
    -Plasma rifles (3 models)
    -Harpoon rifle² (2 models)
    -Stake gun (1 model)
    -Break action railgun rifle (1 model)
    -Rotary assault rifle (1 model)

39 items

Heavy weapons: Weapons like rocket launcher, machine guns, grenade launcher, Flame thrower and other heavy stuff

-Machine guns (4 models)
    -Portative Miniguns (3 models)
    -Rocket lauchers*+(5 models)
    -RPG's (2 models)
    -Grenade lauchers (4 models)
    -Portative cannon (1 model)
    -Laser cannon (1 model)
    -Plasma cannon*(1 model)
    -Microwave device(1 model)
    -Freeze cannon (1 model )
    -Heavy railgun rifle (1 model)
    -Lightening guns (2 models)
    -Flamethowers (2 models)
    -Ion cannon (1 model)
    -Gravity cannon (1 model)

30 weapons

Ammo
    -5.56x45 mm (perforating, anti personel)
    -7.62x51 mm (perforating, poisonned, EMP)
    -.30-06 cal (perforating, EMP, explosive)
    -9 mm (Normal and Poisoned)
    -.357 magnum (Normal and perforating)
    -10 mm (Normal and EMP)
    -.45 cal (Normal, poisoned
    -.50 cal (Normal, explosive, frag, EMP)
    -.50 BMG (Perforating, explosive, frag)
    -12V battery
    -24V battery
    -1.5V energy cell
    -Napalm canister
    -Gasoline canister
    -Aerosols (tear gas, smoke gas, normal aerosols, and maybe others)
    -Nitrogen canister
    -Biological canister
    -10 gauge shells (buckshot, flechette, flare, fire and sabot)
    -12 gauge shells (buckshot, sabot, flechette, frag 12 and slug)
    -20 gauge shells (buckshot, EMP, explosive and slug)
    -40 mm grenade shells (HE, frag, tear gas, smoke, flash, EMP, poison, rad, incendiary and buckshot)
    -44 mm rockets (HE, incendiary, biological)
    -84 mm rockets (HE, phosphorous, frag, smoke, double warhead, perforating)
    -100 mm rockets (HE, frag, Chemical, antimatter)
    -75 mm propelled grenade (HE, frag, EMP)
    -78 mm cannon shells (HE, Frag)
    -Ion clips
    -22 mm depleted uranium shells
    -Crossbow darts (Fire, poison, normal, rocket,phosphorous)
    -Crossbow arrows (Fire, poison, normal, explosive, EMP, tear gas)
    -Bow arrows (Fire, normal, poison, explosive, noise, smoke, frag)
    -Harpoon arrows (Normal, Explosive, trigered)
    -Flares (lighting, flame, explosive, flash)

There are my purposal but I think most of the gamers will thinked "its too much and unuseful" but I think each weapon have rate of fire, rounds capacity, room space requirements, effects, uprgrades and efficiencys
    in reality we can found some kinds of different stuff too but I want no real weapons, only realistic or logic effects, usefullness, and choice.

Oh man. This is way too suggestions.
    Why to have 7.62 and 5.56 ammo at the same time? Or 3 bore diameters of shotguns shells? I understand the variety of ammo types we all want back but This is Deus Ex, not a Military Simulator.

And all this types of Swords and the idea of a shield... we are at Tong's New Dark Age or something?

Blade_hunter: That certainly is alot of weapons that you are proposing. Highly unrealistic tho to have so many variants of the same thing. I like the notion however of a simpler version of what you are suggesting. This is testament to the approach taken in the first game. I really prefer having more choice such as having a standard pistol as well as a stealth pistol, and a sawn-off shotgun as well as a auto shotgun. Plus variable ammo for the same gun. It was brilliant and should come back. Warren Spector argues that Universal ammo was a design decision which made the game more accessible, but it is obvious that by doing this he has slapped hardcore gamers in the face. It was regarded as sad news when it was frst announced that he is not going to feature in the dev process of the third game, but, looking at his change in philosphy since DX1 I think its good news.

Back to weapons however. I think it would add a realistic dynamic to gameply to have your weapon jamming as is the case in reality. I appreciate that technology has advanced significantly in the DX timeframe but the weapons mainly use common bullets and gunpowder which promote the wear and tear of ones weapon.

I think other elements such as showing ammo count on ones gun could be interesting as it has worked quite well in keeping the hud minimal in games such as Doom 3.

The upgrades added to a gun should be seen on the weapon after the upgrade is copmplete. These uprgades should be removable so that they may be placed on a different gun if wanted. Something akin to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Btw: thats a game to look at regarding how to approach the hud, interfacea and inventory design.. it would fit DX perfectly as an improvement on the original system.

not to be a stick in the mud, but I'm not so much worried about weapons. well, outside of a fair variety of them. so long as there are 10-15 different types (mele included) different ammo types, and some form of modification available I'll be happy. The only addition I'd like to see is a continuation of the alternate fire mode that was in IW. bring back smoke and flash bombs. and better mods like the glass destabilizer would be good.

Weapon jamming can enhances the gameplay and give an utility of mechanics skill if we have this skill in the game.
    I think melee weapons can be broken too not all but few of them.
    You can use your hands to fight and take items, and all carryable objects
    For the weapon functions we can use a weapon customization system to change fire modes and ammo loaded in a short period of time.
    I didn't talk about grenades but i think grenades can be selected and use an accessorie button (used for lock picks and other non weapon devices) to use the grenade or give your weapon back. Some hand grenades can be used as proximity mines, timed explosives, laser triggered mines, cord triggered mines, timed grenade, impact grenade, radio controlled grenade, spider mine.
    The grenades have only some of these functions and not all of them.
    for breaking glass we can only use a different kind of ammo or a tool to break the glass silently

I agree with the ideas about keeping it slug based, and a railgun isn't really that sci fi, it would just be damned cumbersome, like a 2 metre tube encased in electro-magnetic foils. I would love to see the original grenade system brought back, the idea of a grenade that acted as a mine was just genius. As for sci fi, given the time period it MAY be justifiable to have a plasma weapon the ionizes local nitrogen gasses, superheats them and projects them along a magnetic acceleration chambre, much like the rail gun, to act as an unlimited ammo uber pistol, found in some secret base place (*cough*)qinetiq, UK, storyline concerning the UK ans US being at eachother's throat since the begginning of the oil crysis and technological breakthroughs only amplifying that tension, Just as long as the whole storyline isn't focused around the conflict/second cold war(*cough*). I think an integral part of the original was showing people just how deadly weapons are, a pistol would drop anyone with a well placed shot, and I hope they return weapons to that state in DX3.

Originally Posted by Blade_hunter
    Weapon jamming can enhances the gameplay and give an utility of mechanics skill if we have this skill in the game.
    I think melee weapons can be broken too not all but few of them.
    That depends. The gun breaking/jamming mechanic in SS2 occurred way too often. It's the future, surely a gun can last longer than an few hours.

It really comes down to the timescale in DX3. If it's 1:1 or close to it (ie, the events in a 30 hour game take place over a 30 hour period), then there's not much point in having it.

If the game is spread over a much longer time frame (ala STALKER), then it makes more sense.

Originally Posted by v.dog
    That depends. The gun breaking/jamming mechanic in SS2 occurred way too often. It's the future, surely a gun can last longer than an few hours.

It really comes down to the timescale in DX3. If it's 1:1 or close to it (ie, the events in a 30 hour game take place over a 30 hour period), then there's not much point in having it.

If the game is spread over a much longer time frame (ala STALKER), then it makes more sense.
    Oh yeah, not nice to jam your gun dozens of time in a game that takes place in a few nights.

I only ask for a better melee combat... And Ballistic Protection...
    Charging with a sword while the guy uses the full 30 bullets clip in you chest is Cool...
    and if the devs decide to put a Katana as the sword, OK... but look... The sword don't need to be Japanese to be cool, all right... I know there is a lot of katana-hype , but any sword is just cool...

Originally Posted by Lo Bruto
    I only ask for a better melee combat...
    As in, sword clanging a la Halo 3? Or just being able to use anything as a melee weapon if needed?

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... Last